Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I still can't listen to a full Devin Townsend album and I think he's more overhyped than just about anything else in metal.

I will fight you! :argh:

Seriously though, I come across a lot of people with that opinion and I kind of see where it comes from. I think it's just because he's an all round humble guy with zero pretention or ego. His music is, if anything, engaging and unpredictable - the DTP albums were also great because it wasn't just four albums of the same thing over and over. He's a more than accomplished musician and I honestly think he's only really hitting his stride now!
</fanboy>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

watt par posted:

Devin Townsend seriously missed his calling as a big-time pop music producer. He could've been the next Max Martin or Dr. Luke. He has a great ear for radio-friendly hooks but unfortunately his aesthetic sense is stuck in early 90s alt metal.

Have you heard Epicloud yet? Because that's pretty much the poppiest thing.

I really think that he'll eventually go into production full time and based on his career, could probably do great work for a wide range of artists.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Trees and Squids posted:

This isn't really the thread for it, but Anathema's Weather Systems has really grown on me since its release. I've probably listened to the whole thing about 30 times now, it's brilliant. We're Here Because We're Here is cool but not quite what I wanted to hear after binging Weather Systems. Is there anything else out there in the rock world that is similar?

I had the same reaction. We're Here... just didn't grab me as well as Weather Systems did and it gets regular play from me still.

Like Misogynist says, God Is An Astronaut is a good place to start. They are quite fond of the whole "build up to crescendo" model that Anathema are doing lately. Mono do it too, especially on their last album, Hymn To The Immortal Wind.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Velocirocktor posted:

I don't know if you're doing that "the last record was so bad I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist" thing but Mono's most recent album is For My Parents. Hymn To The Immortal Wind is a better record, though.

drat, didn't know they had a new one out. I've been super out of touch with new music and have only been getting back into the end of year releases in the past month or so.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Funeral Mist posted:

Anyone heard the new Shining? Any thoughts? Didn't really set well with me, nothing compared to IV, V, or VI.

You know, I like it, but it's certainly not as arresting as VII was.

There are a lot of great and progressive ideas in it, and Niklas' clean voice is one of my favourites, but it just doesn't feel as dark as it probably should be. Kvarforth is apparently up to his gills in meds at the moment, so it could really just be him evening out.

It is a dark and brooding album, but not in the self-destructive way that the previous albums were.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Does anybody have any recommendations for good sites to buy merch, specifically shirts? Previously I've bought directly through labels or chipped in with friends and someone else did the legwork of finding places, but I'm thinking of ordering some stuff over the holidays.

I'll probably do it with two or more friends with varying tastes too, so some place with a wide selection would be cool.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Misogynist posted:

I don't think anyone has said Vortex sucks (yet). I think his best work is at least a decade behind him.

Yeah, he still has to release another Lamented Souls album. :colbert:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Gorilla Radio posted:

I'm looking for some melodic/symphonic doom/death along the lines of the newest Swallow the Sun and Forest Stream. Themes of nature will be especially appreciated. Thanks goons!

You might want to check out Hanging Garden and Ghost Brigade too.

Seconding Barren Earth.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

I'm going to see Gojira next month and Devin Townsend is opening. Where do I begin with this crazy man? Listening to Epicloud right now. I hear he can be like Frank Zappa who I like a lot. Do I even bother with Strapping Young Lad? I imagine he'd only play songs from DTP.

Basically get all the DTP albums, since you're right, it will probably be predominantly DTP material.

With Strapping Young Lad, make sure to listen to City and Alien. Those two are the best (and some of the craziest) stuff he has done. Also worthwhile from his solo efforts are Ziltoid, Terria and Infinity.

gently caress, just get it all, I'm already jealous enough that you get to see him live!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

I listened to Vanitas again today and it is, indeed a great album. Very few bands get that chaotic, hellish sound right without losing all melody in amongst the noise. Definitely one of my best albums of 2012.

I'm actually busy compiling my list for my blog now and would be interested in reading some goon Top 10s.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Ah, the bastard child of Entombed and Discharge. I liked Sentenced to Life, but Heavy Breathing was significantly better for me. They nail that classic Entombed guitar tone.

I'm the same, I way preferred Heavy Breathing over their latest.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

Well, 5 seconds in an it loving rules already.

Yep. It sounds like more "out-there" Motorhead! My housemate is a huge old-school Darkthrone fan and really doesn't like the new stuff; I'm probably going end up pissing him off a lot with this!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Semprini posted:

Norway's potential entrant (it's made their domestic final) to this year's Eurovision song contest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1O_5Bh97I

The song would be great symphonic/operatic metal if they just got rid of Meatloaf's screechy cousin. That guy sounds like he's going to be hocking up blood in the morning.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

This is about as "melodic" as death metal should ever get.

If I hadn't read the name / got it from this thread I'd assume it was an early demo for Mind Assault.

For comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3ZNDPt-94

(And yes, this is waaaay more melodic. Actually, Measley, you might like it.)

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

CornHolio posted:

(I was looking up metal with bagpipes for somebody)

Well since you were looking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxvaL8QKUjM

Yeah, I actually like the sound of bagpipes and this would be a half decent song with some guitars playing a couple of the melodies, sadly, that is not the case. They are pretty interesting to watch live though.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Turk February posted:

You are looking for technical death metal.

All this and no mention of The Monolith Deathcult? Shameful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFQdvaU-JlY

Honestly one of my favourite technical death metal bands, and their new album is coming out soon!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Can someone recommend something in the vein of Acid Bath? The tempo changes, the vocals of Dax and Sammy, and the atmosphere set by the lyrics and the sludgeness of the music was such a perfect combination for me. Was there anyone else like Acid Bath?

Fake edit: to be clear I have listen to all of Dax's projects.

Slightly more psychedelic in nature, but you might like maudlin of the Well. It also has the abrupt style changes, bizarre lyrics and a sludginess about it.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CF9uHudCBc

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Bruce Boxliker posted:

So in case you weren't aware, Nile posted this on their Facebook a couple days ago.

Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Kawaii

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

For those who liked my post about The Monolith Deathcult the other day, they've just released a lyric video to "God Among Insects" off the upcoming album. They even got Peter Cullen (the voice of Optimus Prime from the Transformers movies) to do a voiceover!

From their press release:

quote:

God Amongst Insects is the first track and marginally the least disappointing from THE MONOLITH DEATHCULT’s upcoming failure, TETRAGRAMMATON. Despite earlier attempts (The Apotheosis, 2003; The White Crematorium, 2005; Trivmvirate, 2008) to exterminate most of mankind by genocidal boredom, up until now their musical incompetence has prevented them from actually hurting anyone. The disastrous calamities that presage the release of TETRAGRAMMATON (abdication of Queen Beatrix, North Korean nuclear testing, Pope resigning, meteors over Russia, Slayer falling apart) are nothing when compared to the auditory global torture these self-styled ambassadors of “Supreme Avantgarde Deathmetal” hope to foist on an unexpecting and frankly uninterested world this May. Buy it – so death will be swift and relatively painless for you.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9WqyFpBKc

Can't wait for this album!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Haggins posted:

Does Ghost even qualify as metal? This poo poo sounds like Alt Rock vocals pasted over The Munsters theme song.

I like to refer to Ghost as proto-metal. It's pretty much just classic rock from a time before Sabbath, but if you listen closely to similar artists (Coven, Witchcraft etc) from the actual era, it has that same sound of being almost heavy and dark enough to be metal, but still being trapped in 60s-70s psychedelia.

On the subject of Therion, that video is ridiculous and unnecessary, but the song in itself (and that whole album, actually) is pretty solid. I can get why people don't like the over the top bombast, but I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for them since they were one of the first metal bands I ever heard.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

henpod posted:

I really don't think that they are supposed to be taken seriously. Ever other line is about Satan, the band are all in hoods and the singer is dressed as a zombie pope.

People really seem to get upset when other people like something they don't.

If you take any metal (or even proto-metal if you're talking about this band Ghost) seriously you're really missing the point. Metal is ridiculous, stupid and a hell of a lot of fun when done right!

I really like the new Ghost. It's different, but a big step forward with regards to sound and influences. I love the more prominent keyboards and the over-the-top ridiculouslness of it rubs me the right way. Highlights are definitely Zombie Queen, Year Zero and Monstrance Clock.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

On the subject of Big Four alumni that are past their prime, I'm seeing Metallica on the weekend. I've been brushing up on their discography to remind myself of their back catalogue and there is some really solid stuff there. Is their live show still a "greatest hits" repertoire? I'd be really bummed if it was mostly Death Magnetic stuff since I haven't even bothered with that album since it was released.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

Listen to My Dying Bride you plebes

Gotta agree with this. Even if their last few albums have been lacklustre in comparison to their heyday, they still rank as one of my favourite bands.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

TeamJesus posted:

Oh jesus gently caress the new The Monolith Deathcult album is awesome.

Seconded. Kind of like Trivmvirate it peters out a little near the end but the start is so drat strong. I love the groove on "Human Wave Attack" and will probably end up writing a short piece on the track "Thugs, Drugs and Machetes" because the Rwandan genocide is not something that gets touched on much in the metal world.

I will say that I do feel a little awkward with some of those samples blasting out of my car on the same continent where it all happened - especially since (from what I can make of the lyrics) it is satire / spoken from the viewpoint of the Hutus, but it's still one hell of a track.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Defiant Sally posted:

Oh look another discussion about Ghost in the metal thread.

Edit for content: Open to suggestions for bands like Vintersorg. Really been digging their last 2 albums lately.

Try Solefald's "Red for Fire" / "Black for Death" albums. The vocals take a bit of getting used to, but there's some good stuff in there.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

ethan posted:

Also Trap Them.

Seconding Trap Them and Nails. Phenomenal bands with killer vocals!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Father_Johann posted:

And when it comes to monkies, apes, and other simians, we can't forget the melodic death Warped Touring troupe that is the Black Dahlia Murder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIKuXnzuYGs

Speaking of which, the new TBDM is really solid. I lost interest with them around Nocturnal but the new album has a lot of old school death metal influences, which offsets the hypermelodic solos really nicely!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Trees and Squids posted:

Ihsahn, Devin Townsend, Serj Tankian, and some guy made a song. It's pretty bad, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmIXmtXcmew

Aside from Ihsahn's parts which make me think of Prometheus-era Emperor, the song is absolutely terrible. Serj just fumbles all over his syllables and I was super excited for the Devin Townsend that came at the end with almost none of the backing energy this his crazy solo work normally has. It's really awful. :smith:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Wrust from Botswana just released a music video for "Hate 'Em All" off their latest album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDy9-Mqq4U

It's a pretty straight forward song, but the production and songwriting is a massive step up from their last release back in 2006. Gotta love that main groove riff!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

nerve posted:

Is it really that hard for some of you to understand that Varg can be a contemptible piece of poo poo AND make good music?

That's a lot of people's problem - my own included - with NS leaning bands. It's often hard to separate the art from the artist, especially in such a "passionate" genre as metal; and even if the music is the greatest thing to ever grace my earholes there's just this undercurrent that makes me feel really filthy for listening to it.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Speewah posted:

Trap Them goes alright

All Pigs Must Die fit the bill pretty well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyGb5FxFcS0

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm not even a huge Rammstein fan, but they put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen. So much loving fire.

If you haven't seen Rammstein live and get the opportunity, loving do it. Even if you're not the biggest fan. I challenge anybody to come out of one of their shows without a big, stupid "That was the coolest poo poo ever" grin on their face (and possibly minor burns).

E: I also say this because their are rumours floating around about Till "retiring" very soon and I doubt the band will continue after that.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Stoat posted:

Does anyone have any Alcest / Falloch style post-doom suggestions? I like the orchestral stuff, and although it's blasphemous I don't like non-clean vocals much in this style of music. Any ideas anyone?

Agalloch, October Falls, Woe, Ayr and Wolves in the Throne Room's last album "Celestial Lineage" might be up your alley. They veer more towards black metal than doom, but the atmospherics are very similar.

If you like Alcest you might also like Lantlos or Old Silver Key, both projects that Neige has been involved in.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Surf rock covers, anyone?

The Darkthrones - Californian Hunger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC3QnAcBsbg

The Mayhems - Surfin' Moon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZAraJrlM5I

And my personal favourite, The Emperors - I am the Surf Wizards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLxdNqMXBM

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

This is pretty cool. Twice a year, metal4africa.com, the website that I help run does a festival with between 8 and 9 local bands from Southern Africa. Every now and then we try to get in a band from a neighbouring country and this year in January we got Overthrust from Botswana. Somebody filmed their full set and popped it up on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEVhkRMRG1k

I'm fascinated by the spread of metal on the African continent, and a lot of it seems to correlate directly to infrastructure. Botswana does not have the best internet connectivity and as a result the music is still very raw, primal and straightforward, whereas Kenya which has a far better connection to the outside world is producing much more "modern" metal. Then you've got Egypt and Tunisia which seem to spawn way more European-esque bands (lots of power and prog stuff there) because of proximity.

One day I'll have done enough research to write a proper piece about it, but the lay of the land as it is seems to change drastically the further north you go - South Africa being the exception to the rule.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Xandoom posted:

Does anyone have reccomendations for folk metal like Agalloch?

October Falls might be up your alley.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

I wonder what egyptian metalheads think of Nile

I figure they're doing a pretty good job themselves!

Anarchy - Pandora
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0c-HuQt9ts

Scarab at WFF Festival
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcZYH0tDlrU

Mephistophilis - Disposal of Mankind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3axYHFy96BE

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Wrust really owns and have a new album out this year.

They do indeed. Stream it here!

They've also got a video out for "Hate 'Em All", the first single off the album. Can't remember if I've posted it here or not. The main groove riff hits all the right spots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDy9-Mqq4U

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

This is 100% true.

E: VVV I was being sarcastic :saddowns:

Radio Paranoia fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Octavion posted:

I just checked out Wrust and their poo poo is pretty good. Does anyone have any links to good info on the African metal scene? I'd love to learn more about its origins.

edit: nevermind, missed the links on the last page.

Shameless plug in case you missed it, but I help to run http://www.metal4africa.com and we do our best to keep up to date with Africa as a whole. We're based in South Africa and SA has the most diverse metal scene, but we try to mention other bands from the rest of the continent as often as possible.

I discovered this today: Suck, Sabbathy proto-metal from South Africa in the 70s, really cool psychedelic stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M81LItngUUU