Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I haven't liked anything of theirs since Days of Grays (I was in high school ok), but I saw Sonata Arctica live for the first time a few nights ago and had a drat blast. They played mostly new poo poo but everyone either had bad taste or left their pride at the coat check because the crowd all sang along anyway. Mostly I was just there for Full Moon and they delivered so all was good in the end.

Basically it made the socially isolated 16 year old in me happy and I recommend indulging that kid once in a while, it's great.

Less great was the idiot trying to start Nazi chants between songs during one of the openers. What the hell dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hey metal thread, I hope you can help me out here. I'm looking for music that sucks, particularly music that sucks a lot and in a very particular way.

What else sounds like The Kovenant's Animatronic? I want that 'it's 1999 and The Matrix is the best thing to ever happen to me' sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLvDTmEb98

Their other albums don't scratch this itch quite right.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Just got back from seeing Wintersun, who were awesome when not playing that new forest album; Ne Obliviscaris really stole the show.

Shoutout to everyone who lets us tiny 5' girls sneak up to the front!!

The opposite of a shoutout to the muscleman who decided to apply his body weight to me until I no longer had a spot to stand in.

A big gently caress you to the creep who patted(??) my boob then tried to act coy about it :mad:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

sticklefifer posted:

An ad for this stupid thing keeps showing up on my Facebook wall and just :lol: at how bad it is.

https://www.wish.com/product/57173b42e48bb1608e5f55e8

I don't understand who this product is for. People who want to look 'tough' but have never actually heard any metal? People in communities with no metalheads so nobody can recognize how fake they are?

I think it'd work as a costume or set piece, but also I definitely want one, I'm a huge PAGAN ALICE fan

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The trick is to buy women's shirts so there isn't even a chance they'll be constructed well

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Google Music has been good for my metal listening - you get the occasional "deep cuts".

Like this banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW59Lj47VDI

this is really good

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Are eluveitie good enough live to deal with also having to witness korpiklaani

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Got tickets to see Demons & Wizards because I am 100% Dork and I am very excited

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

new elvenking!!

... 'lyric video' really just means bottom-tier budget music video now, doesn't it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9E3uANdF5I

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

I got married so that dream is dead but I hope I can still find someone to carry that torch

If getting married killed that dream then you married the wrong person

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Songkick just alerted me that mother loving Behold... The Arctopus is playing my city, should I go

E: context

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2019

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

demons & wizards are so loving good live you guys

tyr was unexpectedly fun, those guys looked like they were having a blast

lizzy borden was bad except for when the singer guy was off stage bc then the band looked like they were enjoying themselves. would go see that band again minus the guy

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ah poo poo i haven't thought about wolfchant in years

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm a wicked grosso who keeps reusing the same pair of orange tubes, I should drop the $11 on some fancier ones

Also at demons and wizards on Saturday security was nowhere to be seen at the front and a crowd surfer was dropped over the railing headfirst. I saw him land on his shoulders with his neck nearing a square angle. He did not seem okay afterward; I hope he, like, survived

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Battle Beast have so much energy live!!
And man, Sonata Arctica really... Don't. Shoutout to the guy who pulled me in by thr shoulder during 'Life' though, that was fun.

I'd listened to one or two kamelot songs before so I figured I'd stay for just a couple songs then head home early but they are SO tight live, and also the lighting and stage setup, it was honestly so much fun. Just one of those shows where it seems like everyone is there to see their Favourite Band and the energy is infectious

First time getting a set list, too :3 handed it to a girl who seemed way more into them though

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 19, 2019

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

In my post-Marie Kondo life I have one ensiferum shirt I wear everywhere

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Parachute posted:

everyone knows youre supposed to buy the band t shirt there at the show (make sure its at least 2 sizes too big) and wear it over your dress shirt + tie like you're the CFO of a tech start up that's launching a new app

No no no you wear a mesh shirt and put the band t shirt over top it so everyone thinks you're just an emo instead of a gross sexweird

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I really gotta stop doing this thing where I only get into bands after seeing them live. Do your research, KYG!!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Metal bands love to put a womans name in their lyrics for no reason, especially if that woman is named Helena

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

Even The Days of Greys made it into my normal rotation but I somehow skipped right over albums 3 and 4. I have no idea why I did that, they are both like 90% as good as the first 2

Days of Grays came out like a week after I started high school so you better believe that ended up being my most-listened Sonata Arctica album

:negative:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

remigious posted:

Tommy is a pretty dang good replacement and I love how he interacts with the crowd.

he's so dang cute

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

remigious posted:

Yeah he is freaking adorable :3: I am also very enchanted by the small petite woman (so sorry I don’t know her name) that comes out just to growl periodically. I want to be her.

Internet search says that might be Lauren Hart? And God yeah same

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this is sorta weird

Women enjoy seeing other women succeed at tasks usually done by men and this is cool and good and not weird

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Is 'dvd' shorthand for 'blu-ray and digital video' now or do bands be admitting to releasing standard definition video in 2019

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dimebags Brain posted:

I had to look it up because I couldn’t remember what the As I Lay Dying guy went down for, pedophilia, nazisim, or drug poo poo. But it’s actually a lot funnier. Dude tried to hire an undercover cop to murder his wife. Lol.

wow, hilarious

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

Oh man, the new Dragonforce is really bad.

Heart Demolition has been my jam for WEEKS I gotta find tour info

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

DragonForce's cover of My Heart Will Go On is a lot of fun

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

my hatred for korpiklaani knows no bounds and seeing them live only made it worse

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Got nostalgic and searched youtube for the first band I ever listened to with growled vocals, some unknown "viking" (term used loosely) metal band I stumbled upon on purevolume, Fall of Eden. Turns out the CDBaby scraping put all their music on youtube! I loved this band because I knew literally nothing else of the genre so it was the best by default.

Definitely amateurish but i still think they're kind of fun. :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFPg0GBbDOk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp3lnfaNQPk
(god i liked the lyrics on this one at one point)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Meanwhile when Sonata Arctica does a singalong it's clearly bc Tony is tired of his job. Dude had the crowd sing Full Moon and just kind of sat down for the whole thing

...Full Moon still kicks rear end tho

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

Full Moon is probably top 5 power metal songs ever.

What are the other four?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've never heard anyone say they like Annette's era of nightwish, huh.

Saw sabaton last night and it was one of those rare shows where the new material is the most fun. Also got dang TANK

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Also somewhere along the way there was a nightwish movie?? I know I watched it with some friends but ALL I can remember is the colour grey, a small boy and a creepy old man, and I think the old man turns into a lovely dragon at the end or something? It was bad

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

gloryhammer is bad

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Does the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack count as metal and if so what else sounds like it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmhdvtCTfJI

The 'Party Hard' guy air drumming to Napalm Death for 43 minutes, sure

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

thread, what was the band that made you fall in love with harsh vocals?

God, it was this lovely 'viking' metal band on purevolume called Fall Of Eden. They weren't good but I didn't know any better and I still have a soft spot for them.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Parachute posted:

oh youve seen abigail williams playing mid card too?

Lmao it's always them isn't it

Also I stuck around to watch sabaton at a show I was at for the openers and found myself very surprised at how much fun it was

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

consumerism ruins everything, fashion ruins everything, etc, etc, i bought a kamelot covid mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

There's lots of good band names involving blood but are there any good band names containing 'lymph'