Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to hitting up Brewer's Art while up there.

Speaking of MDF, I have an extra Thursday-only ticket if there's anyone who missed out on the 4-day passes and had to settle for a 3-day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

54.4 crowns posted:

I just found the most kickass metal thread on /mlp/
what

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Anyone else hitting up the Silver Spring MD date?

EDIT : Looks like Tickets go on sale this Friday. Ticketmaster :(
http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/02/26/death-to-all-is-back-2013-tour-dates-announced/

Huhhh, maybe, I wonder what their setlists are like though.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Not sure of the setlist, but this part of the tour is supposed to be showcasing Scream Bloody Gore through Human.
gently caress yes, I'm in.

Misogynist posted:

Did anyone else pick up on the "third time's a charm" motif that was all over this episode? Marshall's jokes, Barney's flowers, Ted's breakup attempts, etc.
This post is Legend...wait for it...self-titled.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

rxcowboy posted:

Well if you're going to MDF I'll be there. I'll be the guy in a black band t-shirt.
Pretty sure I've seen you around; btw I'm a fat dude with long hair

edit: btw my understanding is that chicken guy was like trying to promote himself before last year's MDF like "Chicken Guy's back!". I think Monkey Time knows more

het fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 1, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say the new Darkthrone is incredible and this song is like the best thing they've done since Hiking Metal Punks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7-KWJaq6GE
Leave No Cross Unturned stood out to me more, I'm digging the new album a lot.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cheapsteaks posted:

I mean gently caress, even with their own streak of synthy-poppy albums I'd say that Rush is more metal than DT.
Haha, comments like this are exactly why Mike Portnoy always went so far over the top trying to make their music METALLLLLL. It's perfectly reasonable to dislike DT's music or think it's conceptually misguided or just plain bad, but saying it's not metal is really silly.

If you're going to pick a prog metal album as being influential, Images & Words is probably not a bad choice. I could see maybe going for Operation: Mindcrime over it in terms of simply having a wider audience and being a concept album, but I think I&W (especially Metropolis Part I) probably better represents prog metal's musical differences.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think it's an alright list if you look at each album as being influential in "its own genre".

I mean really those are the progenitors of their respective genres.

Needs more Power Metal IMO.
That's what Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast was there for, really. Not saying Maiden is power metal exactly, but they easily influenced power metal more than any other non-power-metal band. They could use a Stockholm death metal band or a New York DM band too, but there's only so much space. (and yeah, I would pitch Meshuggah off that but you gotta play to recent trends in that business I guesS)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Clit Avoider posted:

No Fates Warning, no Judas Priest, no Possessed, and a bunch of albums that were actually derivative? Nah, don't agree with the list.
I don't think an album has to be good or even original to be influential.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thepitgoddess posted:

I assume there's at least one or two Fates Warning fans in here somewhere?

FATES WARNING tour dates
Nov. 15--Joliet, IL--Mojoe's
Nov. 16--Detroit, MI--Harpos
Nov. 17--Louisville, KY--Diamond Pub & Billiards
Nov. 18--Cleveland, OH--Peabody's
Nov. 20--Toronto, ONT--Mod Club
Nov. 21--Poughkeepsie, NY--The Chance
Nov. 22--Hartford, CT--Webster Theater
Nov. 23--New York, NY--The Studio @ Webster Hall
Nov. 24--Clifton, NJ--Dingbatz
Nov. 26--Amityville, NY--Revolution
Nov. 27--Lancaster, PA--Chameleon Club
Nov. 30--Spartanburg, SC--Ground Zero
Dec. 1--Atlanta, GA--Masquerade
Dec. 3--Houston, TX--Scout Bar
Dec. 4--San Antonio, TX--Backstage Live
Dec. 5--Dallas, TX--Trees
Dec. 7--Phoenix, AZ--Rocky Point Cantina
Dec. 8--San Diego, CA--Brick By Brick
Dec. 10--Los Angeles, CA--The Whisky
Dec. 11--San Francisco, CA--DNA Lounge
Dec. 13--Portland, OR--Hawthorne Theater
Dec. 14--Seatlle, WA--Studio Seven
Man, nowhere closer to DC than Lancaster? That's ridiculous

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

ChickenArise posted:

I figure a lot of commuters can't make it to weeknight shows, so a lot of bands/organizers think DC sucks and just pass it over.
I hadn't thought of that, but it's a very good point, there's a lot of shows I've bypassed because I don't want to deal with traffic. Even the Death show I'll be working from home for just because I don't want to deal with going from Herndon to Silver Spring at rush hour.

thepitgoddess posted:

So I just moved to DC...well DC area. I live really close to the Fillmore (I'll be at Metal Alliance and Death to All!). I'll be at a handful of other shows between here, Baltimore and Philly. I'm unemployed and I only know two people in the city.

Any cool people want to meet for a drink or a coffee? Or high five at a show?
I'm in Silver Spring and just bought tickets to the Death show a few days ago, feel free to PM/IM me.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Possessor really did rule, great band, and fun guys to talk to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-GpjgN56lc

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Clit Avoider posted:

I don't see any reason for KoK to exist in their current format when there's countless melodic black metal bands who are much better.
I don't care for KoK but this obviously raises the question of who does this style better?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Coulrophobia posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations on good female-fronted metal bands that don't fall under the Nightwishy weewoo operatic umbrella? Not that there's anything wrong with that style, but it exists in spades and I'm trying to find a little variation.

List is comprised of, so far: Doro (naturally), Crystal Viper, A Sound of Thunder, Vandroya, Madder Mortem, Huntress, Stolen Babies, Sinergy, Triosphere, Mastercastle, and Crucified Barbara. Anything else I should take a look at? Keep in mind I haven't listened to all of those yet so I don't know how hit and miss of a list it is.
Battle Beast definitely doesn't fall under the Nightwish-y pseudo-operatic umbrella
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxL99TbCD4M

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

watt par posted:

It's a boring retread of later-period Carcass, which makes sense given Mike Amott's prior gig.
Yeah, this is the primary reason. It seems like a boring cash-in, and while Angela Gossow is competent, she never struck me as anything more than that.

Anyway, one other on the non-operatic woman vocalist topic, Lullacry is superduper poppy (like, multiple truckdriver gear changes) but I liked Crucify My Heart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a0lIT2O9s4

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

henpod posted:

People really seem to get upset when other people like something they don't.
...and have like absolutely nothing interesting to say, yeah, that kinda grates. I don't even dislike Ghost but man it's tiresome hearing about them page after page after page. Is Devin Townsend secretly in this band and I don't know about it?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

edrith posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for other folk metal bands with deeper voices?

My recollection is that this dude is only on a couple tracks but this track by Lumsk off of Troll immediately sprung to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_S1KSXfsKs

On that note, I'd forgotten them when people were discussing bands w/ women as lead vocalists, and their lead singer really has a very pleasant and pretty distinctive voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hHUqMiFfqU

Their album after this just struck me as being prog rock if memory serves, I'm not sure if they made any metal after this really

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Tollymain posted:

Well, looks like Sonata Arctica peaked with The Days of Grays :(
At least Nightwish's Imaginaerum is good.

Coulrophobia posted:

Am I the only one who finds all of Sonata Arctica's stuff except Unia and Stones Grow Her Name to be, for the most part, exceptionally boring? Other than a handful of songs they mostly just kind of run together in a mushy blend of synthesizer and wolf lyrics for me.

As far as Imaginaerum goes I was pleasantly surprised with some of it but only in the sense that the best Nightwish songs are the ones that don't sound like Nightwish songs (and aren't the same three metaphors for how deep and tortured Tuomas is reiterated over and over again).

Can't wait to see the movie though :allears:
Where do you people come from???

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Anciients is currently filling my void that Opeth left to become a Jethro Tull cover band.
The riffs make me think more Mastodon than Opeth really, but I guess I can sort of see it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Morbid Florist posted:

Has anyone seen the Death tour yet? I'm going tomorrow night and I'm wondering what we're in for. There's two stages...
I dunno anything about two stages, but Death to All was really great. I didn't keep track of whether they played every track from Human but it was definitely most of them with about as many other tracks from previous albums.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thepitgoddess posted:

That said, Death to All was a blast- what I didn't expect was the video tribute to Chuck's life and legacy.
I legit shed a tear.
That really was cool, though a part of me was disappointed at how much applause the post-Human album covers got versus Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy, and Spiritual Healing. Also I'm old and between that and Cosmic Sea my muscles all tightened up and I had to get loose again for the pit during the last songs.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

gggiiimmmppp posted:

What's so loving special about slipknot?
They're gimmicky and people are dumb and terrible and like gimmicky poo poo.

(See also: Machinae Supremacy :twisted:)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Houseplant posted:

It may not be right through the eyes of a metalhead, but it does make perfect business sense.
Why is that worthy of respect? "Well, it's profitable" is not a reason to respect something.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I'd suggest just focusing on the ones you like or have some other worthwhile reason for being brought up. Also, why would I want to hear the opinion on modern Rotting Christ (or any well-established bands) from someone who's never listened to them before?

edit: Pretty Maids are still making music?? :wth:

het fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 1, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

VikingSkull posted:

I don't really post in this forum much, but I take it there's some Slough Feg fans in here? If so, a dude just posted the demo track from their new album on Metal Blade.

Laser Enforcer

Slough Feg is probably my favorite band at the moment, it's amazing how underrated they are.
They're definitely cool, though their last album didn't really do a lot for me/stick with me. This track isn't bad, curious to hear the new album. I didn't realize they'd signed with Metal Blade

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Johnny Aztec posted:

Whats the pit etiquette? Like , if I got a good spot in the pit, and during one of the breaks I hit the bathroom or whatever I have to pretty much fight back to my spot?
Well the pit and the crowd are two different things, the pit is active and moving and it's not difficult to move to where you want to be (though you'll get knocked into), but trying to make your way to the pit is another matter altogether.

Also, anecdote from the last MDF, I mistimed my entry to the Bolt Thrower crowd and was stuck like 2/3 of the way from the stage, when this fat Latino dude comes through yelling "GET TO THE PIT! GET TO THE PIT!", followed by his skinny buddy apologizing for him. I just followed that guy and it worked pretty well. So basically if you're fat, yell GET TO THE PIT while pushing through, and if you're skinny, find a fat buddy to yell for you and you apologize for him.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
One more note on pit etiquette: Don't be that rear end in a top hat who pushes people into the pit who clearly don't want to be there. The pit is a consensual thing.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hulk Krogan posted:

Edit: Wrong metal thread. So....how about that new Scale the Summit record?
It's funny, I don't really listen to much prog metal anymore but Scale the Summit definitely fills a niche for me. I'd say more bands should follow their lead in terms of doing instrumental metal like this, but I have the feeling that a lot of bands that might go in this direction end up making djent

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Maybe I need to give it another listen because it sounds like the same noodling about that's in every other djenty/proggy album out there.
Djent's attempts at sounding heavy sound stupid as hell to me. I don't think Scale the Summit is like incredible or amazing or whatever, but I enjoy their music. I think there's a lot of music made to fit to conceptions of what the genre is rather than just what they want to play (unnecessary concept albums, pointless funny time signatures, super fast shredding, stupid chuggy riffs to prove you're Metal), and I think Scale the Summit doesn't have some transcendent artistic vision, but I get the feeling they play what they want and I like how it sounds.

quote:

For instrumentals with songwriting I usually turn to post-something
Right but I actually like the noodly stuff which isn't really something you find in post-rock (note: I am not asking for recommendations for noodly post-rock, I am happy with the music I am currently listening to)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NarkyBark posted:

...or maybe we're just bored by thrash?
Amon Amarth is pretty straight melodeath though?

Xombie posted:

Anyone who doesn't like the new Amon Amarth album, I could understand. It must be hard listening to music filtered by their buttcheeks, having their head so far up their own rear end.

Honestly, the answer to "What do you think of Amon Amarth?" is all anyone needs to know as to whether or not someone actually likes listening to metal or is just trying really, really hard to be more touchy about popularity than everyone else. Some bands are popular in metal simply because they're so consistently solid, and Amon Amarth is one of those bands.
That's seriously loving stupid, sorry. People have different tastes than you, and it's not because of some stupid personal flaw you project on them, they just enjoy different things than you do.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Defiant Sally posted:

Listenable 'pretty straight melodeath' is actually kinda rare at this point. Most bands in the genre bore me to tears these days, where Amon Amarth is a band that somehow, despite doing almost nothing different ever, keeps me interested.
Oh sure, I'm not saying they're indistinguishable from any other melodeath band, I'm just saying they aren't thrash metal.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thepitgoddess posted:

So, this is new.

And you know, not Amon Amarth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dokIQOKxKSc

NEW CARCASS SONG. I dig it. I don't know where exactly it fits in their discog. I wanna listen to the album but I have no idea where this song is headed.
Awesome, this is great.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

H2Eau posted:

Haven't seen this posted in the last few pages - new Slough Feg demo went up, and it's absolutely killer.
Sick. That album art is pretty hilarious too

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Clit Avoider posted:

Meh Suff?

I was thinking about it for Coroner, but the lure of getting absolutely trashed in a field with everybody else at Party.San proved too much. 65e to drink for 4 days and watch about 4 bands probably isn't the best return, but it's a recurring theme. Still, already been to Hell's Pleasure and have Live Evil and Wolf Throne later.
skroll and I are going to kidnap you and make you come to MDF one of these years

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

T-Bozz Factor posted:

Hey guys. I haven't posted here in like forever and as you might guess, I'm back because I need something from you. Honesty is good. My band put out an album and I think you'll like it if you're into Slough Feg, Manilla Road, or obvious stuff like Iron Maiden. Lots of guitar harmonies with a balance of heavy and melodic stuff. Think late 70s/early 80s metal before everything was super defined. (but we are still influenced by modern stuff as well) The link below takes you to bandcamp. You can listen to the whole thing there and buy it for 7 bucks if you like it that much. Either way, effluvious praise welcomed and harsh criticism tolerated.

Children of the Reptile - Children of the Reptile

Bought without listening based on the stuff you posted previously, can't wait to listen tomorrow

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Agreeing with a lot of the power metal opinions posted, here's a couple I like:

Engage was a shortlived band from Glenallen, VA, their demo is fantastic aside from the vocalist having a questionable sense of being on-key:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL5q5K23uRg

Threshold is one of the best power-prog bands imho, though they aren't nearly as shreddy as like Symphony X, instead of taking power metal speed and making it wankier, their focus is more on catchiness with more elaborate prog themes and concepts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Xlj4-tiws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YUg3d1EUKE

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
You are all murdering me

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Monkeytime posted:

Maryland Deathfest final-ish details have been announced, and tickets go on sale tomorrow.
Sort of hoping against hope that БУТ is pronounced "butt"

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hulk Krogan posted:

Any hotel recommendations for Maryland Deathfest? Planning to buy tickets today but I've never been before and don't really know the area. I'm assuming the hotels nearby fill up fast and we should book one now?
Haha skroll and I booked our hotel room at the nearest hotel as soon as they announced the venue and we got the last available room I think, the really-close hotels will be booked up. You absolutely should be booking lodging ASAP.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Hey, remember that time Gorguts and Eluveitie opened for Aerosmith? Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thepitgoddess posted:

The way the multi-stage fest set up works it doesn't "feel" like a band in a complete other section of the fest is opening for the main stage bands.

Each stage could be it's own fest.

Don't you dare poo poo on Hellfest, I will punch you in the butt, het. :P
I know I know, it's a joke! Still, you have to admit Crowbar immediately preceding Seether is pretty funny/awful, like I'm not even a particular fan

edit: don't get me wrong, that's a crazy amount of bands I'd like to see still