Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Never been to one of their concerts. What's the "BLOOD OF CHRISTIANS" thing about? I mean, I know how it relates to their songs, but not concert performance.

Just their in between song stage patter - "THIS SONG IS ABOUT EATING A CHRISTIAN PRIEST AND GNAWING HIS BONES!" [crowd whoops a lot]

My dad likes Jefferson Airplane, the Stones (Beatles by a mile for me), Steeleye Span, Dire Straits. :dadchat: Also a boatload of classical stuff, which I also very much appreciate. Growing up listening to classical music is totally useful, and I'm going to force my own (eventual) sprogs to listen to Handel and Stravinsky alongside Helrunar and Satyricon. Poor things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Christopher Irvine posted:

I generally don't like Dimmu Borgir but this single song, specifically starting with Vortex's clean vocal, is a track I use to convince disbelievers that metal can be objectively amazing. Too bad Shagrath is s terrible vocalist. Just terrible.

Ha, me too. For the longest time, the only DB song on my iPod was PotGA. The orchestral version is pretty nice too.

With all the talk of avant-garde-y stuff, I feel like I should post Virus, who I came across thanks to this blog post. I can't quite decide if I like it or not, but it's certainly interesting.

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 11, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Got back from Hellfest yesterday. It was one of the best festivals I've ever been to - despite the mud (thank goodness for wellies). Everyone was outstandingly friendly, and the bands sounded fantastic.

The bands I saw:

Merrimack, Belenos, Benediction, Sòlstafir, Endstille, Darkspace (!!!!), Taake, Moonsorrow (front row!), Satyricon, Oranssi Pazuzu, Necros Christos, Shining (Swe - back on form, too), Napalm Death, Enslaved, Behemoth, about three minutes of Guns 'n Roses, Aosoth, Winterfylleth, Blood Red Throne, Anaal Nathrakh, Ihsahn, Suffocation, Arcturus, Sunn O))).

Definitely going back next year.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

EvilMoJoJoJo rules Hellfest rules

Aw thank you :3 did we meet?

Arcturus were actually… a bit disappointing. :( Watched half their set, then scarpered to get a spot in the Valley for Sunn. Might have been them, might have been me, but something just wasn't quite working; audience reaction also seemed a bit subdued (I thought). Ah well, finally getting to see Darkspace (Darkspace!) made up for it. Ihsahn was also a bit shite - my third time seeing him and worst of the lot by a long chalk.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Further to my Hellfest post above, I've just been linked to this collection of professionally shot videos (page 2) of some of the performances from the weekend. Going to settle down and watch a few of the acts I missed!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

New album from Blood of the Black Owl! http://bindrunerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/light-the-fires

I'm not sure about the party-horn-esque sound effects at the start of the first track, but I adored A Banishing Ritual, so I'll give it a chance.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

OK so Topshop (a fashion store aimed at young women in the UK, for non-Brits) sells a Slayer shirt. Fine. Whatever. They've been selling Iron Maiden/Motörhead etc. t-shirts for many years, and metalheads roll their eyes but generally get on with life.

But this time they've managed to sell a shirt which has - alongside the Slayer logo - the Totenkopf insignia used by the 3rd SS Division. Hahahaha good loving job, Topshop buyers.

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/s...r&resultCount=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_SS_Division_Totenkopf

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Turk February posted:

Other than it looking really tacky and the obvious historical atrocities that were used by the SS in the past, I'm not quite sure why you're as upset about this as you are since Slayer has been using Nazi imagery for years? Or was it just more of a reaction to a retailer thinking this would fly with a much more general customer base that doesn't cater exclusive towards metalheads?

I'm not defending the Totenkopf insignia at all, but if anything I'm surprised that it took this long for a Totenkopf Slayer shirt to be made in the first place.

More kinda :rolleyes: great job on the historical image-checking rather than upset, as it happens. I mean, Topshop is on every high street in the UK, so a mistake of this magnitude is kinda funny.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Did you know Slayer shirts also often have upside down crosses? Now, that's a scandal!

Oh FFS my point was not "metal shirt with dodgy imagery omg", my point was "huge UK fashion chain, part of multi-billion retail empire, outlets in every British town, sells item with nazi insignia on it, that's got to be a bad PR move, right?" and I don't get why anyone couldn't understand that.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

nomapple posted:

All of this.

Also it looks like I can go to Southern Cross Fest now (!!!) so which is the better Hobbs' Angel of Death album? Gospel of the Horns have really grown on me as well. I got A Call to Arms and I really dig it. I will have to investigate further.

Southern Cross Fest is on the same night as A Forest of Stars / Virophage (Frank from Fen's death metal band) / Wodensthrone, and I'm going to that instead. Gah silly gig scheduling - I'd've gone to both if I could have. I love love love A Forest of Stars live, so looking forward to that.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Two VICE writers go to a metal show and write a fairly annoying article about it. http://www.vice.com/read/two-vice-writers-walk-into-a-metal-show

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Therion posted:

Yes everything is instantly better if you shoehorn progressivism into it somehow

Hey I'm like little miss anti-oppression, and even I think that line is... misguided.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Via a recommendation from Kim Kelly, I've recently fallen for Anicon. Just the one EP at the moment, from what I can tell, and they're so new they don't even have a metal-archives entry.

The EP will be released later today.

Stream here: http://anicon.bandcamp.com/

For black metal fans - kind of WITTR-ish, a bit more up-tempo, great atmosphere.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Anyone else going to Hellfest? Can't believe I have to be up and in the arena for 10.30 to see The Great Old Ones on the Friday :(

E: Gojira on the main stage is going to be fun.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

spring is primarily stuff like Moonsorrow, Drudkh, Gallowbraid, etc.

Doesn't someone ITT know the Gallowbraid guy? If so, please can you tell him to release more music, as I've played Ashen Eidolon to death? Thanks.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Gorilla Radio posted:

Are Enslaved good live? They sold out the last time they passed through, so I didn't get to see them.

Enslaved are so good live. See them if you can. They play stuff from every era and are just so darn happy to be up on stage - it really comes through. I've never seen them put on a bad or even mediocre show.

Relatedly, I missed them at Hellfest this year, because they were on at 1am and I could barely stand up from tiredness. :(

Oh and add some Sólstafir to your desert playlist! A friend of mine once described them as "Queens of the Ice Age" and the band liked it so much, they put it on Facebook.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Hulk Krogan posted:

They played MDF this year.

And Hellfest. One set I made sure I didn't miss because the opportunity to see TROB doesn't come around very often. It was a brilliant set, only beaten this Hellfest by Vreid playing Windir songs (I actually cried). Eurogoons - Vreid are touring in October with Valfar's brother Vegard on vocals and doing a Windir show. I cannot wait!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

nutnmunch posted:

Also the "Mikael's voice is deaaaaaad and Opeth hates metal" thing doesn't really jive with what I've experienced. I saw them last April and they played a setlist that had more growling than clean singing -- also, Mikael's growls were perfect.

Mentioning Hellfest for the third time in a page (sorry dudes) but Opeth were the last band we saw, and they were very good. Setlist was a new one that no-one cared about, Heir Apparent, Demon of the Fall, Hope Leaves, and Deliverance. Mikael's voice sounded good - much, much better than a couple of years ago at Bloodstock when he did a set with Bloodbath and Opeth on consecutive days and his voice sounded like poo poo. No power behind the growls at all.

E: they played Blackwater Park as well, how could I forget.

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 11, 2014

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You want long songs? Nile's "Unas, Slayer of the Gods" clocks in at almost 12 minutes, and they've played it live. poo poo owns.

:black101: TREMBLE THE STARS :black101:

I've seen Moonsorrow do Jotunheim (19 minutes), Tulimyrsky (30 minutes) and many other 15 minute+ songs live. Sorry brah but Moonsorrow win (this is generally as well as specifically true).

One day I will see them play all of V: Hävitetty live. If I have to kidnap Ville's pet dog or whatever, I will make it happen.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

Hey, recommend some metal songs/albums about the sea aside from Mastodon's Leviathan and The Ocean's Pelagial.

Catacombs "In the Depths of R'lyeh": http://youtu.be/BM-ohw4RuMs

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

So #MetalGate is apparently a thing now?

Brb going to go and hide until it's all over.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Seeing Vreid and Valfar's brother Vegard playing Windir songs at Hellfest and at the Underworld in London was a real treat. Cried after both gigs, hugged strangers, really emotional.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

The Sólstafir dramabomb gets ever larger:
https://solstafirofficial.wordpress.com/2015/07/06/its-been-over-a-month-now-and-absolutely-nothing-has-changed/

Poor old Gummi, sounds like the rest of the band really screwed him over.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

A much, much earlier incarnation of this very thread was helpful to me as I started to explore metal. (I also met my husband here, kinda, so there's that too :love:)

I circled around metal as a teenager but never quite got to the good stuff. I liked Metallica, then later SOAD and Rammstein and Korn and Pantera; I thought I'd maybe like metal, so tried out the two most quintessentially "metal" bands I could think of - Slayer and Iron Maiden - and just bounced straight off them. I thought that because I didn't (and don't!) like either it meant that all of metal was a closed book, but it turns out I just don't really like thrash or warbly IM-style vocals/bombast.

I started listening to Last.fm in around 2005 at a temp job, and that led me to Opeth and Bodom and In Flames. Once I adjusted to the vocals, I never looked back. This thread helped me expand from there.

I also found my favourite band, Moonsorrow, ITT: someone posted a track by them (Unohduksen lapsi) and asked for help identifying it, as it wasn't properly tagged; I listened to the opening notes and immediately fell in love. So, thanks, unnamed poster of years past!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Nordick posted:

I feel like you should also check out Havukruunu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUsU9ZH-GR4

(Everyone should, tbh)

Yeah they're pretty good! This also prompted me to check out their latest EP which I didn't realise they'd released. Thyrfing also put out a new album this year which is on my Spotify AOTY list but which I should spend more time with.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Nazzadan posted:

Dark Fortress rule, Tales from Eternal Dusk is like a top 5 meloblack album

Eidolon is an amazing album and the Tom G Warrior guest bit on "Baphomet" is excellent. I kind of tuned out after Ylem, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Bushmeister posted:

I must have missed quite a few albums, because that new Krallice record sounds like uninspired rear end. What the hell.

I love Years Past Matter wholeheartedly, but most of the rest of their discography leaves me cold.