Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Slipknot's drummer has been kicked out. Or he left.

It's Slipknot drama so nobody ever really knows what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello thread.

I saw Devin Townsend last night.

I was a bit iffy about it because I kinda...hated his last 3 albums. However, prior to those 3, I practically worshipped the man so I still had to go to check it out.

He was loving awesome. Wide ranging setlist including 3 SYL songs which were fuckin' nuts.

So yeah. Go see Devin Townsend live. He still kills it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also they gave out free ear plugs at the entrance.

I wore them for the show because I am not a loving idiot.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Tarja's got a new Christmas album out this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX5oRqyGKrA

This is loving appalling.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

Hammett's Haters gang tag when??

Bitch, I will cut you.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

it's way too big but I gotta do real work now

Lars is the best loving drummer there is!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Given how many metal goons play instruments and how easy it is to make slam, would anyone have any interest in a slam collab on kompoz or something? Might be fun.

As a guy with a studio and a bunch of amps and cabs, I'd be happy to re-amp, drum sample and mix it all.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Note:

I can also play guitar and bass. I can't do vocals. So if somebody wants to write some stuff, I can play\record everything except the vocals and mix it all together for funsies.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Poison Womb is also a loving great band name.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
If all y'all could include what sub-sub-subgenre of metal your top 10 albums fall under that'd be great.

'Cos I wanna check poo poo out, but I wanna know what I'm getting into.

I mean slam is easy to spot 'cos the band name will be "hosed BY HAMMERS" and the album title will be: "I GOTS A HAMMER FOR A FACE" but yeah give us a hint.

H13 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 22, 2023

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Y'know, it's kinda weird how nobody really talks about Opeth anymore.

Early 2000s, they were the band. I mean then they went 70s prog and kinda suck (fight me) but you don't hear them get mentioned often despite how awesome Still LIfe, Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries were.

It seemed to be a fashionable thing to throw an acoustic interlude into a really heavy song. Also with the ending of Deliverance or Harlequin Forest, I'm sure many prog nerds had their first brush with Djent which let's face it is basically: "Hey, let's take the ending of Deliverance and construct an entire genre around that type of riff"

I mean...those albums I mentioned still kick rear end but yeah you don't see them get mentioned as often as other bands like BOLT THROWER or Woods of Ypres and stuff.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

stab posted:

Took the now wife on a date for a Opeth and Porcupine Tree show cause the wife loved her some Opeth

It was a seated show

With tables

loving weird energy for a metal show

So Opeth went and played nothing but slow poo poo the entire set.

It was brutal in a bad way

gently caress.

I mean on one hand, I get it. I get why Opeth aren't really current anymore ('cos of this like this), but there are plenty of bands who stopped making good music, or broke up or whatever that still get bought up or talked about in some sort of fashion.

I see In Flames mentioned a lot more than I see Opeth being mentioned.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

Yeah, but Opeth isn't one of those precision bands. When a band spends a minute and a half just playing the same riff like the opening of Demon of the Fall, you expect a certain jam quality from their writing process to shine through in their live performances, and it just doesn't.

Actually, this is a great point. Sometimes Opeth riffs are chord progressions more than riffs (Intro to Blackwater Park) and they could totally jam on that stuff.

Hell Tool sometimes do a bit of a jam on-stage. I'm pretty sure mentioning Tool in this thread is a vaguely offensive thing to do, but I think this is the one time I could bring them up as a comparison!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anybody got some cool, flowy thrash that's come out recently?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey.

So.

Maybe I missed it, but even if I did, gently caress it and give it another listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YqZuo1WKk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLPaGqGzdY0

There is absolutely no loving reason why Judas Priest should be this loving good this late in their career.

What the gently caress. Has there been any other band that still released absolute quality 40 years into their career?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

It's the Kerry King Slayer Project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOwFC56MQgA

Sounds like Slayer.

This is loving great.

I mean yeah, it's Slayer, but Slayer is loving great so...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dyscarnate for me has Slam Energy, in the sense that it's death metal that could be the soundtrack to construction equipment fighting, but the brain isn't completely smooth.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://blabbermouth.net/news/its-official-slayer-reunites-announces-first-shows-in-five-years

Slayer Reunited

Weird considering all of the shade Kerry threw at Tom and stuff when the first song from his Slayer album came out.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's...just odd with Kerry's side project being an identical clone of Slayer.

Gary Holt has repeatedly said that he'd jump back in, so I'm pretty sure he's doing it 'cos he loves it. Kerry's been whining about it for years that it stopped. Haven't heard from Tom in years.

It's just odd timing.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Southern Cassowary posted:

i was interested to see what kind of material holt would have written for slayer

I vaguely remember hearing him say he'd keep his best stuff for Exodus.

...which is the better band anyway.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Varg posted:

I haven't seen Slayer since Hanneman died, and it's for the best.

Gary Holt does an excellent, excellent job.

Because he's Gary loving Holt.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who the gently caress is listening to metal for stirring lyrics?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

Just because I like something doesn't mean I can't take the piss on the stupid aspects of it.

:hmmyes:

For a brief moment, I was worried that people were actually, with malice and intent, making GBS threads on Iron Maiden.

That would not be okay. Because in this metal community?

We're blood brothers.
We're blood brothers.
We're blood brothers.
We're blood brothers.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

moxieman posted:

Trying to imagine playing NotB and someone asking me to change it to something else.

That can't go on.
We must inform the law.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I absolutely love Maiden and put them in my top 10 of all time.

But I also don't think Maiden ever made a consistently solid album. I think each album has 3-5 absolutely jaw-dropping and amazing songs, and 3-5 completely forgettable fillers.

Those 3-5 amazing songs are better than the best songs of most bands and it's worth buying the album for those 3 songs. But I've always found Maiden albums to kinda be half filler...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ive never been able to tell the difference between judas priest or iron maiden

Yeah nah yeah mate I've had the same problem with Metallica and Opeth. Like they both use guitars they sound kinda the same.

You spanner.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Issaries posted:

Too bad this couldn't have come out couple weeks ago during our Iron Maiden slapfight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPeWnZB1J6I

Because it sounds like every Iron Maiden song ever made.

This is unironically amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Look, when Devin comes in screaming in the last third of the song, it's pretty loving cool.

But the first 2\3rds are basically the same pattern over and over again. It really needed to break that up with an epic, anthemic Devin chorus section.

Also: Ooft, that's a bad guitar sound. So goddamn honky?