Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They definitely feel entitled to every penny the Power Trip band generates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Top artist was Between the Buried and Me

Got a message from Periphery. Granted, they were #2

Yes, i listen to bullshit

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I obviously feel for the family, but this comes across as incredibly passive aggressive and entitled. Maybe it's just me.

Agreed. I was immediately turned off reading it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've never even heard of this band so it's pretty funny

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0mHNKuE3NY

the full set rules tho

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

I've never even heard of this band so it's pretty funny
Sounds to me like you've got a couple of good albums to enjoy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Uuuuhhhhh what the gently caress. They act like they were members of the band. Strong army wife vibes.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Nordick posted:

And no, I don't have a lot of love left for Gloryhammer, either.

I feel like the continued success of poo poo PM bands like Alestorm opened the gates for gimmicky acts like Gloryhammer to just slap on some spandex and print money

I kinda stopped hating on such gimmicky pulp acts a while ago because hey, their videos are fun and they got catchy choruses. I kinda used to buy Rhapsody and Domine (also Edguy, Stratovarius, whatever) CDs as a kid so why shouldn't today's kids buy Gloryhammer. Sure, back in my day stupid powermetal bands were more inspired and had real talent but what the hell... If the new kids' gateway to Metal is Gloryhammer, that's fine by me.

e: Holy gently caress I just found out Gloryhammer and Alestorm is that same eyebrows guy, LOL. Figures.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 4, 2023

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mr. Pickles posted:

I feel like the continued success of poo poo PM bands like Alestorm opened the gates for gimmicky acts like Gloryhammer to just slap on some spandex and print money

I kinda stopped hating on such gimmicky pulp acts a while ago because hey, their videos are fun and they got catchy choruses. I kinda used to buy Rhapsody and Domine (also Edguy, Stratovarius, whatever) CDs as a kid so why shouldn't today's kids buy Gloryhammer. Sure, back in my day stupid powermetal bands were more inspired and had real talent but what the hell... If the new kids' gateway to Metal is Gloryhammer, that's fine by me.

Yeah I don't hate dumb gimmicky poo poo per se, I used to enjoy Alestorm and Gloryhammer quite a lot. I just hate it when it's bad and boring, like Angus McSix is just a lovely Wish.com Gloryhammer. (That tracks since apparently their songs are all written by some dude from Orden Ogan and I can't be hosed with that band, either.)

Anyway, in sorta power metal adjacent news, the main dude from Falconer has this new project. At first I really wasn't sure what to think of it, but the album's actually been growing on me quite a bit. It's... I dunno, some kinda synth/EBM/metal mishmash. Not like some cybergoth thing though, it's brighter and more melodic, with ye olde soaring metal vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CszmmoyQa98

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Metal is just inherently funny* genre, even if the bands don't admit it.
Sure there's some band that are openly funny like alestorm.
But there's also things like Panteras Walk, which is extra funny, because band itself takes it serious.

"Are you talking to me????? WALK *wargle bargle garble* HUH"
That poo poo is just hilarious.

*Not saying every band, just lot bands are unintentionally.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Issaries posted:

But there's also things like Panteras Walk, which is extra funny, because band itself takes it serious.

Talking poo poo about Pantera?

No way, punk!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I hate that I bought a Alestorm ticket, but I really am just gonna see Elvenking then get the gently caress out of there

I need to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofrna_i1Trw

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
drat, the new Panopticon is probably gonna end up being my album of the year.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i didnt realize that riley gale's family sued the band for control in 2021, but the complaint is still open.

i can see why they weren't consulted or invited to that secret show.

they can go kick rocks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

“Southern Lord Records liked this post” lmao very cool

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Issaries posted:

Phil Anselmo is a piece of poo poo racist and so were Dime and Vinnie but i don't care Pantera loving rules. Sometimes i want to listen to the most caveman brained music ever

I did not consider giving them money for a heartbeat though on the recent tour. i saw them on the Extreme Steel tour and thats enough for me.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
extreme steel tour loving ruled

morbid angel, slayer and pantera was a dream come true to me

too bad skrape was also there for some reason lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

extreme steel tour loving ruled

morbid angel, slayer and pantera was a dream come true to me

too bad skrape was also there for some reason lol

lol were we are Cobo Arena together?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Fenrir posted:

yeah it's really good, one of my favorite things this year also. between this and horrendous for my personal aoty.

Nordick posted:

Anyway, in sorta power metal adjacent news, the main dude from Falconer has this new project.

i thought this would be heinous but it's...alright? stefan weinerhall is a pretty idiosyncratic songwriter and that shines through even on this project

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

WoodrowSkillson posted:

lol were we are Cobo Arena together?

yeap

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tarja's got a new Christmas album out this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX5oRqyGKrA

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

ultrafilter posted:

I suspect this will not be popular with the thread but I love!! I fuckjng hate jingle bell rock normally but Tarja really made it her own.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

don't sleep on this morbid angel worship, y'all

Had this on a lot and it loving rules

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
My #1 artist on Wrapped was Gamma Ray (top 2% worldwide!) and I got a message from Thomas Youngblood from Kamelot. My other top 5 bands were Kamelot, Edguy, Helloween, and Rhapsody. It’s pretty clear what I’m into right now.

Southern Cassowary posted:

number 2 was pest control because it's always nice to have a banger crossover thrash album that's 20 minutes to toss on whenever and i did that a lot

Thanks for mentioning this album, it whips.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fenrir posted:

Yeah god drat this is good

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah god drat this is good

Ok I bit and it rips. Thanks y’all.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I’m at Sunn o)))) and these earplugs are NOT UP TO THIS TASK lmao

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

remigious posted:

I suspect this will not be popular with the thread but I love!! I fuckjng hate jingle bell rock normally but Tarja really made it her own.
I simultaneously believe Tarja really made it her own and that this is absolutely unlistenable. There's a couple of interesting moments to her performance, but on the whole the song slots into the same meta-genre of overwrought tryhard covers as Disturbed or Bad Wolves

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

This is loving appalling.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

welcome to the slam crew

ShoogaSlim posted:

gang tag??

Visions of Valerie posted:

ShoogaSlim posted:

gang tag??

I'm not thrilled about legibility at this size due to video effects. Someone with more skills than me could probably assemble a gif from ~5 frames and timing, or maybe it'd have to be done from scratch, I dunno

ultraviolence123 posted:

I'm gonna need that slam tag since it's basically only what I listen to now.

posted in SA Mart and was up to the task, and i started tinkering around with photoshop to try and provide some suggestions. i figure y'all are down so wanted to give you a peek into this maybe becoming a reality.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

ixo posted:

i wanna see sunn o so fuckin bad >.<

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ixo posted:

F

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Fenrir posted:

Just finishing my first listen and I'm inclined to agree. The sheer scale of it from a musical and compositional standpoint is great, not to mention the production.

It's retreading a lot of old ground but is also a logical progression after the last couple of albums too. Just absolutely massive.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dropping Tarja was the best thing nightwish ever did

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

posted in SA Mart and was up to the task, and i started tinkering around with photoshop to try and provide some suggestions. i figure y'all are down so wanted to give you a peek into this maybe becoming a reality.

Feeling the one with the hammer actually. Looks nice, sloppy and slammy. Speaking of slam...

https://comatosemusic.bandcamp.com/album/interdimensional-calamitous-extirpation

New Kryptoxic Mortality. Physical release is already available at Comatose's store, on BC the 8th. Killer slam with extra wet vocals.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

ShoogaSlim posted:

This rules. I like all of em.

Slam is the best

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Dropping Tarja was the best thing nightwish ever did

:emptyquote:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I've got a list of more 2023 slam I need to hit but so far it's been a good year to get stupid off that dumb dumb, my favorites being:
Ophiocordyceps
Morphogenetic Malformation
Crepitation
Snuffed on Sight (more beatdown'y but still slams)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nightwish should just have Marko on vocals imo. Nothing has ever been added by opera poo poo

e: lmao I completely missed that he left. Nightwish should just have noone on vocals then

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not really slam but the Nithing and Dead and Dripping albums are two of the best brutal death records in recent memory.