Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Weaponized Cum posted:

pro loving click

https://spiritpossession.bandcamp.com/

SPIRIT POSSESSION is a new raw and erratic black heavy metal entity emerging from the old school origin depths. They are a duo comprised of vocalist/guitarist S. Peacock (Ulthar, Mastery, Pandiscordin Necrogenesis) and A. Spungin (Ormus, Tarus) on drums and handmade synthesizers. SPIRIT POSSESSION’s approach to their singular style of raw schizophrenic angular spiraling black metal explodes with razor thrashing guitars, blistering drum violence, commanding torturous vocals, and apocalyptic harsh noise.

The self-titled SPIRIT POSSESSION debut album encompasses the avant-garde nonconformist aura of the black metal outliers of the ‘90s and early ‘00s while pushing the thresholds of forward-thinking underground heavy metal. Through seven serpentine-like tracks, SPIRIT POSSESSION’s debut reveals uncompromising brutal filth draped in First Wave blood, when the classic era of heavy/black/thrash/death naturally congealed in their original primitive form. The result being an aberration of archaic swarming chaos.

This is absolutely killer, the production is perfect and I love a duo - chaotic without being an overbearing wall of noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

I really like Death, but have never really enjoyed The Sound of Perseverance, just as I've always found Control Denied fairly boring.

That new Faceless Burial album is definitely filling that sort of techy but also with huge riffs space for me though. What an amazing album that is.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Holy poo poo that is incredible. I'm going to investigate.

I never got to see Bolt Thrower but I did see Karl do vocals for a drum and bass group a couple of times, and he did growl 'DRUM AND BASS DEATH METAL' several times and it was amazing

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Snowy posted:

I saw him posting tie dye shirts on Twitter and asked him about them, it was pretty simple. He was super cool about the whole transaction and sent lots of heart emojis. :3:

Now who was this drum and bass group? I wanna hear some of that.

He performed with PCM a couple of times at the Supersonic festival in Birmingham UK - i can't find any recordings at all sadly.

Hadn't actually listened to Memoriam before know so I'm giving them a go

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/aldrig-i-livet

New Undergang

Already one of my favourites of this year, Ufrivilig has an absolutely killer riff

McFlurry Fan #1 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 4, 2020

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

First time listening to Undergang and it is extremely my jam, going through the discography now

They are generally good, I'd also check out Desolate Endscape by Phrenelith for more of that Danish death metal, it's an all time death metal favourite of mine. It's also a name your price on bandcamp.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I'd also highly recommend you check out Wormridden, too. It's the guitarist/vocalist of Undergang and the drummer/vocalist of Anatomia and it fuckin owns.

I hadn't heard this before but it is extremely my thing, slow, dirty and heavy

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

I was listening to perennial SA metal thread favourite Order and Punishment by !T.O.O.H.! again the other day.

Despite still being a bit goofy there are some tremendous riffs on that album and beautiful technicality. Comfortably one of the best tech death albums.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

lovely news glad I saw Cynic when I had the chance.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Yeah they said it was recorded after the Planetary Clairvoyance session.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Greiving Birth is a great album, to think I only checked them out because it’s the drummer from faceless burial

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

That is a very good point though, I’m not sure why you would listen to any other sepultura album.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

crossspitter shirt arrived with a nice message on the back of one of the stickers. i think i wrote "kill god" in the order notes section.

Absolutely amazing.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

Cave In pre-Jupiter is gold standard metalcore in my opinion. Everything after is amazing too, but very different.

Until your heart stops is great, I'd also add Fixation on a coworker by Deadguy and Busy signal at the suicide hotline by Drowningman.

Metalcore was pretty great.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

drat I want that Weakling pin. Any good places for similar style enamel pins? My Krypts one looks a bit lonely.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Only just seen that Horna + Sargeist have NSBM connections. Disappointed but the new WITTR makes up for it.

Not exactly metal but all the Sunn albums on bandcamp are half price and the live albums are Name Your Price.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Woodenlung posted:

My dad had been enjoying the last Deafheaven record, so I loaned him Sunbather a few days ago.

Went to visit him today and he is listening to something that sounds super weird, asked him what it was. 'Sunbather, you idiot'. Harsh. But that doesnt sound like sunbather I thought.

Turns out he was playing it at half speed... 'I did think it was very heavy, but i liked it'.

This is high quality dadding.

As for Napalm Death, early days and Scum era are just a different band. Scum is really influential on the grind scene and since then they have been a Grind / death metal band that do a Scum tribute.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

New Sulphurous track

Been waiting on this for a while, awesome mid paced Danish death metal, from the same crowd as Phrenelith. Who also have a new record soon.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

Got a bit too busy at work today to post one earlier, but here's a batch of Late In Release Day Friday

Whitehorse, noisy funeral doom

Whitehorse are great, really enjoying this so far.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

TeamJesus posted:

The new Carcass album is great.

I loved surgical steel so I am excited

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

I've never really listened to Nile and I'd like to remedy that. What albums should I start with/what are their best works?

I'd agree with the other guy on Annihilation of the Wicked, but I think In Their Darkened Shrines is my favourite. Sarcophagus is one of the best riffs I've ever heard, and Execration Text is just amazing, so many killer riffs and the drum work is incredible.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Are albums on Minidisc going to be the new thing? I just read an email from Anti from Demilich saying that Dissonant Tapes are releasing Nespithe on Minidisc.

I think I can get into this.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

New Phrenelith track finally dropped and it's incredible. Will be my favourite Death Metal album of the year, Bandcamp link

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Marin Karin posted:

Worm are streaming their new album ahead of its release. It's really fuckin' good death/doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP3QrrIgLG0

Full album is out now and is loving good.
Nice bit of reverb action and some mid paced chugging and then it really gets going.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

New Sulphurous album came out on Dark Descent / Me Saco Un Ojo / Dessicated Productions as well, my cassette is on the way, not had a chance to listen yet.

Bandcamp

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

That Churchburn album is absolutely crushing, didn't realise it was the drummer from loving Grief

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Foreverglade is really getting me this year. I think I just like death/doom, but this one has good solos too.

https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/foreverglade

Yeah it's a great album, maybe my favourite album of the year. Really didn't care for their other stuff either.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mefitis - Offscourings (weird death metal)

Never heard of these guys before and this album is amazing, one of those albums where there is almost no repetition, and very busy drums

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

This is extremely good.

Right onto the Xmas playlist

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Craven Idol - Forked tongues (black)
Steel bearing hand - Slay in Hell (thrash)
Wolves in the throne room - Primordial Arcana (black)
Churchburn - None shall live (sludge)
Lvcifyre - The Broken Seal (black)
Sulphurous - Black Mouth of the Nexus (death)
Worm - Foreverglade (death doom)
Inhuman Condition - Rat God (death)
Whitehorse - Death Weight (doom)

There's my 9, reserving a space for the new Phrenelith.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

New Phrenelith dropped a couple of days early, and it's great.

If you have any interest in that rough around the edges scandi old school death metal sound I'd highly recommend it.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

It's really really good, just need to push the guitars up in the mix because the riffs are killer

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

It's really really good, just need to push the guitars up in the mix because the riffs are killer

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

I thought I had stopped that potential double post.

Anyway Faceless Burial were back in the studio a few months back so I'm very excited to see what they put out next, very promising for 2022 so far.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

That new Meshuggah track is really really great, getting serious Nothing vibes from it.

They are probably one of my favourite metal bands and I finding out that there was a whole subgenre inspired by them was extremely exciting.
The problem was that it was djent and literally every band that I've seen described as a djent band have been absolutely terrible.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

BurningBeard posted:

I’m the guy who’ll legit go to bat for some of those bands.

Cloudkicker only kinda qualifies, but is excellent.

Tesseract’s newer stuff isn’t particularly heavy but they did the best job of moving the sound in a more pop-oriented direction, imho. I get why people don’t like them everyone’s got PTSD from the late 90s bludgeoning death of grunge and the buttrock that grew out of the corpse.

Vildhjarta is pretty good. Definitely the band (that I’ve heard), that most closely resembles Meshuggah while nudging in a slightly new direction.

Monuments had one okay album (The Amanuensis) but is definitely the schlockiest of the bunch.

Newer, definitely a lot more core in their DNA than most will tolerate, but Sarcoma by Alluvial is solid.

It’s mostly garbage, but there is okay stuff in there. I’m with you about Meshuggah. Hence my willingness to go digging through the garbage for decent poo poo.

I went back to try most of these bands again, but I feel like I'm running into the same issue - either its hyper technical goofiness or mistaking stop / start choppiness for rhythmic complexity, which I just don't enjoy. Thanks for the list though.

I feel like almost exactly the same thing happened when I looked into 'Mathcore' because Don Caballero are another of my favourite bands, only to find that virtually every band was just tapping with some jazzy drumming.

Anyway so this all kind og reminded me that I hadn't listened to Obscura by Gorguts for a while, and holy poo poo that is still a completely timeless album.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

I suppose its only metal adjacent, but the new Blood Incantation album came out and and its pretty cool in a very deliberate Tangerine Dream / Popol Vuh kind of way. No riffs but very nice spacey sounds.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

:yeah: Straight up old school synth ambient and I love it.

Have you got the blu ray version? I'm really keen to see the visuals that they made for it.

And Epic Games + bandcamp seems weird, does this mean we'll see weekly free albums?

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Crowbar have pulled off sounding exactly the same for 30 years quite nicely.

Excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

New Cave In and new Deathspell Omega announced today on bandcamp today.

No track for the new Deathspell but the new Cave In is good