Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I kind of liked the new Ghost song

It's great and I laugh in the face of all the troo metul people who sneer at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Enjoyed Metallica last night. Had only seen them in an arena before, so it was cool to see the show in a full size stadium (complete with stadium sound, but eh that covers up the mistakes and mistunings I guess). Thought they still put on a pretty drat good show, the setlist was a decent blend of old and new, the screens and production poo poo was cool, the tribute to Cliff was nice and overall a fun evening. It amazes me a band can play some of these songs literally thousands of times and still at least look like they're super into doing it.

Out of fun, I compared the setlist for last night to the time they came through town in 1992 or so and 13 of the 23 songs I think matched. That's pretty neat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rob does a bass solo (a good chunk of which is similar to Cliff's old one he would do before For Whom The Bell Tolls - which is a shame they don't lead into that afterwards, but they'd already played it) while videos of Cliff are shown on the massive screen behind them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This sounds like it might be my kinda thing. What do they score on the Edguy scale?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nordick posted:

Angela quit of her own accord in 2014 to pursue other interests. She chose Alissa as her successor herself and is still the band's business manager.

It's like the antithesis of how Nightwish operate.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sounds like something I need to listen to. Always had a soft spot for Rhapsody.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I won tickets to see RATT and Ace Frehley tonight. It's going to be a magical evening.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Oh man, Ratt. Haven't heard that name in a while.

They were actually pretty fun! As complete a lineup as you can expect in 2017. I'm sure my familiarity of them is from Beavis and Butthead originally, but haven't spotted a clip. I'm quite relieved they left the old outfits at home though. Warren DeMartini can still shred like a boss.

Vargatron posted:

Did we just go back in time to 1988?

You say this like it's a bad thing!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how despite Lars being the only drummer since their start, the answer to 'What are Metallicas best drum performances' would give wildly different results.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Heh yeah that's pretty much the clip behind my post.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only vocals I've ever disliked for Nightwish are the guitarists. Everyone else seems to love his voice, but ugh I can't stand it.

E: within temptation are better and Sharon rules

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it's my love of full on pure pop music that lets me enjoy the poppy symphonic metal bands to be honest. I can understand why a lot of people hate it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha! I don't mind Eurovision ballads if they're at least somewhat rememberable or there's not like 8 in a row. A boring ballad can be saved with pyrotechnics or BUTTERFLY WINGS OUT OF loving NOWHERE though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something else I thought was neat about going to see Metallica, was a week or so later I got an email saying the ticket included a copy of Hardwired on CD or MP3. Even the shipping was free.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that is true, not a cheap show by a long shot but stadium tours eh. A nice freebie I wasn't expecting though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Disney on Ice

Checks out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Except Phil Anselmo.

He's pretty open about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At $7 I would've bought the tape blind as I need something to test a new deck, but $13 shipping? Nope.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Varg posted:

good poo poo, got me in the mood for some Whiplash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-S7Jjhn5EU

check out some tapes here for $6 + $3 shipping http://www.gravenearthrecords.com/category/tapes

Cool, I'll give one or two a blast. Thanks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oops double post.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spatulater bro! posted:

As a child of the 80s I feel no nostalgia whatsoever for cassette tapes. Just like VHS, they're lovely and went away for a reason.

I'm in a horror VHS group on Facebook because theres some cool stuff that was only ever released on VHS, or people have cool and unique editions of a film.

Let me be clear though, VHS people are loving nuts. Like certified wacko. They are obsessed and there's constantly wars between people over their crappy tapes. Some of them outright refuse to watch anything that isn't on VHS on a beaten up CRT TV. Like I can understand it for some super low budget films, but if you want to watch something as beautifully filmed as Suspiria on a poo poo setup in the wrong aspect ratio on a format that can't do red properly, be my guest. I saw some people throw a legitimate fit because someone trashed their collection, which was just things like Independence Day and Speed tapes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A TURGID FATSO posted:

You know what format I wish would get brought back?

Laser disc. Or whatever they were using in Demolition Man when John Spartan went back to his apartment (I can't find any videos of that specific scene).

I'd buy a bluray box set in laserdisc style 12" packaging for sure. Just put the discs next to each other.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

NonzeroCircle posted:

System of a Down kept their albums to strictly 40 minutes so they would fit on one side of a tape.

As a kid it was always a quandary when faced with a 47 minute CD and a 45 minute per side tape. Do you drop the least favorite song? Put the last song on the other side and dub the second album after? Just let it get as far as it can and let it chop off the end?

I swear some songs I still have engrained in my memory where a chop off or tape warble occurred when listening to it as a kid, and still think that's going to happen on the MP3 of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always loved the bass on that third Korn record, especially in the Got The Life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was their last album I liked, but as a kid playing bass I always loved that combo of sub bass and twangy highs. Works well for them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good Clean Fun were always a decent hardcore band that wrote funny songs. Good live, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

That new Mastodon track...oof...geez...at least the album art is neat, I guess.

Oh, well that's neat at least as I'm sure my friend (Richey Beckett) did the art for this one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that tour is coming through here too. You’d think it would be a joint headliner with them switching back and forth at the very least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Which metal band has songs that sound the most like corporate buzz-phrases? Wormed? I feel like there's gotta be a tech-death band out there somewhere where the song titles all sounds completely interchangable with corporate email

Was only joking about this yesterday with my friend. My corporatecore band are called MOVING FORWARD and his is TERMS & CONDITIONS. This is from a hardcore POV more than metal just cos of the overlap in terminology.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Google must have a bug, as I searched for that tour and it promised me they were doing a five night Miami residency in February and that's sadly not the case.

Boo that both Tampa and Jacksonville both get a date, SoFlo needs some love.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pfft like I'd actually go down to Miami anyway ;)

(Not until the brightline opens in 2023, anyway. For some reason Fort Lauderdale has a drought of gigs and most fun things happen outside and in places like Margate).

There is some venue walking distance from my house that seems to put on unheard of metal bands so I need to check that out at some point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I got a black eye from someone crowdkilling at a show years ago, which isn't the easiest thing to explain to your manager in the office.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Bodom drum triggers in their Oops I Did It Again cover slay me every time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MikeCrotch posted:

The only actual injury I ever sustained moshing was tearing my tricep seeing Napalm Death in a boat (its a club in Bristol);

Ah, The Thekla! So many good shows booked there that I never made it down for :( road trips to Bristol we're always fun, or resulted in getting completely blotto, or both.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vulture Culture posted:

Saint Vitus? Yeah, doesn't matter there.

Ha, SV would've been my counterpoint to NY. That's such a great venue, really wanna go back at some point in the future.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kilometers Davis posted:

Children of Bodom covering Britney Spears was 10/10

I love how it basically feels like a practice room recording, then those loving triggered kickdrums tear through and it’s perfection.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm probably just being blind, but anyone know who Ghost are bringing out for tour support? It kicks off tonight and haven't seen anyone listed for any of the shows.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh crazy. Better make sure my rear end turns up on time then! Thanks

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I saw ghost a few years back, but the new tour looks awesome. Would’ve preferred a few more older tracks in the set list but hey, I like all four albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I put on a doom gig back years ago and managed to catch a nap by the sound desk through one of the sets. Not sure how to something that loud but yeah, strangely comforting.