Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

XFL has some kind of rules to make the game faster, right?

Jerusalem posted:

I can only assume these two posts are related.

You're right. Bix outed himself as a Nickelback fan and has spent the whole day passionately defending them AND Three Doors Down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's crazy how so much of the Internet still doesn't "get" journalism or criticism, though tbf maybe that's because a number of journalists and critics don't get journalism or criticism either, idk.

I'm pretty sure it's all still residual fallout from Gamergate

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Scoot Tatum" is the funniest possible name, I'm laughing again just typing it out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Nyla showing up with some steampunk motor monstrosity and rolling around yelling UNLIMITED POWER

Nyla Rose vs Kris Statlander in a Giant Mechanical Spider match

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

nice poppy, fascist

Is he going to NXT

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

hunnert car pileup posted:

yeah I tried posting these yesterday and got yelled at for being in the wrong thread. how about that.

You posted a Cornette-adjacent tweet, there is a separate Cornette thread

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

Nah just thinking about what a bloody dork he's always been

Good example, his first words after winning the title as crow sting were ___?

"Anime"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sometimes I wish there was a device that could show me exactly how WWE would ruin all the best wrestlers in the world.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Surely Okada has the leverage to open the forbidden door

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

She sounds sarcastic tbh, I didn't interpret this as a sincere complaint.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Imagine working a crowd of 0 in a wal mart

Have you ever been in an empty Walmart?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

And like, I can genuinely buy that she's grown up and isn't as toxic a person as she's widely been regarded as at that time.

Given that she's just denied everything I personally cannot buy that she's grown up or learned anything.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Alternatively people could accept that making sweeping generalisations about groups of people based on characteristics beyond their control like, I dunno, age and race, is a pretty loving stupid thing to do.

Huh this sounds familiar......

Reverse racism isn't real, dumbfuck

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Of course. But part of that probably has to do with the average Japanese citizen's mindset that endorsing emulation means you endorse piracy.

Explain Kairi Sane

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Imagine looking at Rhea's entire gimmick and thinking "wow doesn't she know her pants are ripped??"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

I'm just pointing out that this isn't unusual for Rhea. She lashes out at criticism fairly regularly on social media, no matter how weak the insult or valid/invalid the criticism may be. That's not something a face should be doing, especially one who supposedly represents an entire division.

You have a weird definition of "lashing out" dude

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You guys need to lose your fear of probations. Post with honor.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

Even still the idea that someone fucks up and they must he banished is archaic, puritan nonsense. Allowing no path to redemption is just being cop like and regressive.

Pretty much no one is doing this, FYI. The vast majority of the time these people show zero interest toward changing or redeeming themselves, hence why they get "banished."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

You are right but those that want to change should be allowed a chance, and often they are not.

Again I really don't agree. It's exceptionally rare for anyone to express a good faith desire to change themselves.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

What the gently caress is a toilet paper challenge

Social media really is the worst invention lol

It's a challenge to see how long you can juggle a roll of toilet paper with your feet, or I guess with a hockey stick. It's harmless fun. Not everything has to be a jumping off point for proving how edgy you are.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Coaaab posted:

it's certainly no "boiling water challenge"

The real boiling water challenge is turning off your internal chronometer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/theAdamPage/status/1247235670051033090

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Why is he holding his toothbrush like that

He's a cowboy

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

I'd go so far as to say Terry is one of the top 3 greatest of all time, and you could absolutely make a case for him being #1. He's also a case where I can't imagine what he'd be doing with his life if pro wrestling didn't exist.

JC Penney would be doing a lot better

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Now this is a crazy thought, but maybe the whole point of far-right groups coopting widely used signs and aesthetics is to make themselves look more popular and important than they actually are?

They do it because it's a way to quietly identify eachother that's plausibly deniable and because it's actually pretty easy to use the "OK" symbol in contexts where it's clear you're not just saying "OK." They've been doing stuff like this forever, like 1488, it's not exactly new.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

And they do it using extremely common symbols because they want to give the impression that they represent some kind of silent majority when they're actually a tiny minority.

What about "1488" or all the various crosses and runes and poo poo they use is "extremely common" or suggests they want to imply "silent majority?" The only symbology I'm aware of that could possibly fit in this category is the "OK" sign, which again is insanely easy to deduce the meaning of using basic context, and also wasn't even their own idea to begin with. All of these signs have an actual practical purpose, which is to identify each other publicly; that purpose falls apart if they can be easily mistaken for something else. No one is going to confuse Ospreay's hand sign as an indication that he's a fascist unless they're super reactionary and weird, because it has an obvious and established meaning other than that (and also it's not even the same sign).

It always baffles me how many people get mad at others simply observing a thing that is happening.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Literally happening ITT

Yeah man, by someone who is being super reactionary and weird lmao. Ganso badposting doesn't change the fact that it's insanely easy to tell when people are normally saying "OK" and when they're not.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

nobody is doing this we're making fun of someone for jumping at shadows which your own post acknowledges are shadows

My point is in response to this:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Have you ever considered that letting the nazis dictate what the fundamental building blocks of communication itself actually mean might have some minor drawbacks?

And that it's actually OK to acknowledge what they are doing and keep an eye out for it rather than just pretending it does not exist. We're not letting them dictate what things mean, we're acknowledging things have different meanings in different contexts.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

And honestly, it makes me mad because it makes me mad when people treat racism, bigotry, and all these right wing groups as just being a list of things you can do/can't do or can say/can't say. It's a childish and harmful and ignores the actual effects these groups have. I don't give a gently caress who wears a Fred Perry polo, I just give a poo poo if the person wearing it is wearing it because they like it or because they want their nazi poo poo friends to know they're also a nazi. But those Nazi shits also shouldn't be able to intimidate, or convince well meaning people to help intimidate others, people into not wearing a polo. Then all of those things become their symbols and they own them and no one is actually pushing back on the Nazis, they're just pushing back on dumb aesthetic poo poo.

You strike me as the kind of person who is responding primarily to six follower Twitter accounts rather than actual widespread attitudes. Making yourself aware of how the far-right identifies themselves is not the same as saying no one can use the OK symbol to mean OK, and frankly I've never personally encountered anyone believes that until this very thread. But I do see a lot of people complaining about that kind of mythical attitude as if it's a real problem society faces, and I just don't think that's the case. You can find at least one person expressing every dumb idea, that doesn't mean they matter.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lamuella posted:

The overall point continues to be that the cultural connotations of a British wrestler wearing Fred Perry are different from those of an American wrestler doing the same. https://twitter.com/RealKingRegal/status/600337288585850880

It's more of a square/rectangle situation here anyway. No one is going to assume you're a Proud Boy just because you're wearing Fred Perry, but if you're a Proud Boy you're probably wearing Fred Perry. I still think people are getting mad at the dumbest people on Twitter and assuming they're indicative of widespread beliefs when they're really not. Heck, Twitter thought Bird Box was good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

You seem to have missed how this discussion got started because nobody is talking about a bad take on Twitter.

I am well aware of that. My point is that people seem to be responding to beliefs that practically don't exist in reality, which frequently means they've just read the dumbest people on social media and mistakenly arrived at the conclusion that their attitudes are common. And I know for a fact you're doing this to some extent because you're reading my posts.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/YTAlexReynolds/status/1361475279508619265?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wow face turn out of nowhere