Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

TheManWithNoName posted:

I really hope DC puts out another Showcase of Warlord. I just finished reading volume one. A really fun book, once you get past the kind of cliched, goofy premise. Mike Grell's artwork is gorgeous in black and white. Definitely one of my favorite Showcases so far.
I took my copy to Burning Man and read the whole thing in two days while waiting for the sun to go away. Really great stuff if you like Conan-esque sword and sworcery stuff, and not overwritten like so much of the comics from that period, so it makes for an excellent page-turner. A lot of the Showcase/Essential stuff kinda drags but Warlord is one of the few that I think could work as a comic being released now. Saying "the art holds up" is borderline insulting because it's so well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Corbet posted:

Woah, they're releasing Fables v. 4 at a much faster rate than its predecessors (used to be every year). Awesome.

How's Dark Victory? Worth the Absolute treatment? I liked Loeb's Long Halloween.
I thought Dark Victory was garbage. Art was like TLH (aka fine) but the story/mystery is worse than Identity Crisis. More trotting out Everyone's Favorite Character. And I read it before I was heavily into comics or knew the jokes about Loeb's writing patterns.

And for $100?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

So if a local used bookstore had the entire Spirit series at about $30/book, I should buy them all? Because this will be my one chance?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhyno posted:

Not gonna happen for under $140 dude. I told everone when it went out of stock! Nobody listened to me!

Even the reprint when V2 came out?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhyno posted:

It was Atlantis Attacks for me. The second I put it on the bookshelf I realized I'd never read it or half of the books I'd bought in the last year.

I was starting Atlantis Attacks when Acts of Vengeance Crossovers showed up. That was it for me. The only reason I have the Byrne F4 is because Amazon briefly sold it for under $60.

Deep down I know it was Secret Wars 2 that broke me, though. The awful dust jacket should have been warning enough but I had to read it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhyno posted:

I have it, it's a fantastic package.
Seconding this, outstanding book. Not sure how I feel on the lack of dust jacket.

Opinions on Rip Hunter, Tales of the Unexpected, or Kirby's Challengers of the Unknown (assuming you've read the old stuff). I actually have a Showcase for Challengers but have not gotten around to reading it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

Does anyone know if the third Tomb of Dracula omnibus has had the art edited? Marvel changed some of the art around the previous time they reprinted the Tomb of Dracula magazines and if it has been in that one then I'm not going to buy it...
It has boobs, although I'm not sure if there's more editing (or more boobs that are edited away, all I know is that I was casually flipping through it because who actually reads their omnis? Weirdos, that's who, and there were exposed bosoms). It's also mostly in B&W which I found surprising.

As for Spidey, maybe it's the USMC stuff, not the older stuff? There's going to be one for the post-Ultimatum Ultimates and the Spidey run up to his death wasn't that long sooo... fingers crossed.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

As an owner of Secret Wars 2 Omnibus I can verify that even the 5x5 Expidit is more than capable of containing both its weight and awfulness. They can also hold books as big as an Absolute. I think the limits so far have been Wednesday Comics, a couple of the larger C. Ware Acme books, and the Prince Valiant books being released by Fantagraphics.

They're also deep enough to hold two layers of dvd cases, although you can't stack dvds 2-high.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 18, 2012

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

^burtle posted:

It is decent, you'll see a lot of familiar Remender storytelling methods though.

I'd say it's more than decent if you like Remender's style.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

For people thinking "boy I'd like to get one of those Secret Warriors omnibuses" instocktrades has it for $48 this week. You'll have to buy something else to qualify for free shipping.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There is a minor Secret Invasion tie-in (that's when the team was first introduced, and they helped fight off the Skrulls in Central Park), and some Dark Reign stuff with Norman Osborn being in charge of everything and HAMMER having replaced SHIELD, but that's about the extent of it.

The whole thing is over and done with, wrapped up very neatly with no loose ends.
It also stems from Secret Wars 3, which is, I think, where Nick Fury leaves SHIELD and one of the characters is introduced. And while I have not read Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D., I've been told that certain kinda-batshit things that happen very close to the end of Secret Warriors are touched on in that.

That said, I think I read Secret Warriors prior to reading almost any of Dark Reign (I knew Osborn was in charge from reading Fraction's Iron Man), and read Secret Wars 3 long after (it's kinda so-so, don't bother), and enjoyed the poo poo out of Secret Warriors. I used Wikipedia a bit to look up old HYDRA stuff, as it deals with HYDRA fairly extensively.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhyno posted:

Yes but be prepared for insanity. It's not your typical Punisher story.

What if I already have Frakencastle HC? I really enjoyed it but I don't know if the rest of his run is worth the Omni price.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Opinions on the Seagle run of House of Secrets? There's an omni coming next year.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

It's been a while since I've received anything that didn't fit in the Chosen Shelves aka Ikea Expedit but today I think I've hit the largest thing yet, only topped in area by Wednesday Comics, and I think it's my highest volume book yet. I present: Chris Ware's Building Stories (image stolen from amazon). Now to figure out the reading order.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm sure DC has other HCs coming out but who cares because

quote:

THE PROMETHEA OMNIBUS HC
Written by ALAN MOORE
Art by J.H. WILLIAMS III, MICK GRAY and CHARLES VESS
Cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III
Advance solicited • On sale SEPTEMBER 25
496 pg, FC, 16.25” x 12.25”, $150.00 US
The entire 32-issue run of PROMETHEA is collected in a single, extraordinary hardcover volume that spotlights the amazing artwork of J.H. Williams III, with each two-page spread in the series presented on single pages of this horizontally formatted collection!
Don’t miss this new collection of Alan Moore’s entrancing occult masterpiece, collecting the magical adventures of Sophie Bangs, an ordinary college student in a weirdly futuristic New York, whose life will be changed by her research into the mythical warrior woman known as Promethea!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

Have they announced a third OSHC/omnibus for Fraction/Larroca's Invincible Iron Man?

I don't think so.

Any opinions on the House of Secrets Omni that IST has on sale for %50?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

bobkatt013 posted:

Iron Man is the start of the Stane storyline and Jim Rhodes as Iron Man

What is the best way to read INVISIBLES? Get the omnibus, monthlies, or the trades?

Trades. The omni is immense and having read the letters in the monthlies I don't think they add much if any value. You also might not like it, in which case the trades will let you stop instead of committing ~$100 for the omni.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 21, 2013

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

Whoa. WHOA. How didn't I know about that?
Did you know that it's %50 off at IST this week (along with Hellboy Library 6)?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

While IST is clearly better at packaging (and deals if you jump on/cross the $50 barrier) are those of you getting bad Amazon deliveries using Prime? I have Prime and the packaging for most of my books has been pretty decent, with only very minor corner dinging. The only real damaged book I received from them was a Prince Valiant HC that looked like someone had bent it over their knee. I'm curious if there's a difference due to reduced shipping times and reliance on OnTrac for delivery.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I received half of my order from that Fantagraphics sale a few weeks ago, and then received a response to my email from 2 days before receiving the package saying that some of it had shipped out and they were working on the rest.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

This came up a few pages ago but has anyone who ordered from Fantagraphics during the big sale in May who ordered the Mickey Mouse collection get their entire order?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

How many Stray Bullets giant hardcovers are there? Three? I've got the first one and suddenly today I was struck with the idea that soon Stray Bullets will be impossible to read and there will never be any more.

Why would they be hard to find? Is Lapham trying to erase any evidence of his pre-Avatar output?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If you have archives I swear there used to be a dedicated binding thread.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'd assume that, particularly for a more unknown property, if your goal is to get increased exposure to non-readers (good luck) you have a lot better chance if the cost of entry is ~$20 instead of ~$65.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Screw reprints (not really), I want his run finished in omniboo.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Only ya'll can answer my question, ya'll are my only hope:

Can I comfortably read the Remender Punisher Omni on a plane? It's at a shop near me for 40 dollars and I'm flying coast to coast in a week with nothing to read but some Star Wars books.

I have a fairly meaty lap if that matters.

Probably, it's not huge like Secret Wars 2 or the ridiculous Amazing Spider-Man. Honestly though I'd never read an omni on a plane and never bring comics that aren't on a tablet - the ratio of content:weight is too unbalanced.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Aside from the Glory HC coming out today which you should buy if you ever want to own the 1st G0dland Celestial edition without paying OOP prices it's been reprinted and IST has it in stock.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

StumblyWumbly posted:

Is Godland good? It seems weird and interesting.
I picked up the first Glory trade. It was neat and different enough, but it did not grab me.

It's pretty good and I like the art but it felt like it kept wandering up its rear end as it went on, particularly near the end.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Taschen has finally officially listed the Little Nemo collection:

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/01129/facts.winsor_mccay_the_complete_little_nemo.htm

Only $125 on Amazon, although a few details seem wrong there.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

GrandpaPants posted:

So I guess they're not going to print any more of those giant collections? They were really great, despite being pricy as hell.

If you mean the splendid Sundays books then I think those were a different publisher, and since Nemo is public domain they could be reprinted. Comparing the dimensions of the new and old books makes the old one seem bigger, but I'm not sure what the margins were like and the new one is the size of legal paper so I'd assume it's full size?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uthor posted:

I have a single volume collecting it all, but it's only slightly oversized (about the size of a Marvel OSHC) that definitely could use some cleanup (you can see the backs of the newspaper pages bleeding through from the scans). It was only $30, so hard to complain about it.

Edit: looks like my copy is from Taschen, too!
http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=66487

I have that one but didn't think it covered the whole series. I also now own the megabook and will concur that it is huge. It shipped from Amazon in a box which contained another box which contained the Nemo box which contained the Nemo books.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

sporklift posted:

Speaking of Absolutes, I know that Absolute Batman Inc is coming out. What is the likelihood of the entire Morrison Batman saga being collected in the absolute format? Should I just start piecing together trades to get the whole story? Is the whole story really necessary?
Based on what DC seems to do now I would expect the Morrison run to be collected in deluxe editions, or maybe one ridiculous omnibus. I can't speak for the Inc part of the story but everything up to Inc was necessary, I suppose.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

And the next Brubaker Cap omni.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Yes but you can get it here and now for much cheaper.

And if you do the right thing and get the YA omni with it the shipping is free

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Their prices are usually not good and beating IST often requires planets to align. There are a couple exceptions (Fantagraphics in particular) but generally it goes IST then Amazon then Amazon marketplace then Amazon warehouse deals then B&N.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Yes

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just really want to start collecting Hickman's whole Avengers run. The original TPBs seemed like a pretty raw deal considering there's some overlap there between issues of both books and the big Infinity hardcover.

Then I saw that they've recently put out a new series of bigger hardcovers, containing 11 issues each. But these conflict with Infinity even more, since there are 3 missing issues in the regular Avengers book before Infinity starts, and the overlap with New Avengers is even greater.

So... are they putting out a new Infinity collection or something? Have they announced plans for an omnibus that will circumvent this whole mess? Is there any simple loving way to get this poo poo?

Edit: Oh bloody hell the description for the Avengers HC is mislabelled and it actually has 13 issues which means it naturally leads up to Infinity. Okay, that's good, at least. But what about New Avengers?

Edit 2: Jesus okay, I think I figured it out...

Recently released Avengers HC V1 with 13 issues
The original New Avengers TPB V1 with 6 issues
Infinity HC with Avengers 14+ and NA 7+

That should be correct, right?

It all comes down to your level of ocd but I would just buy A/NA hardcovers and get the Infinity tpb. Shelf-look is everything and do you really want a peasant NA trade in the middle of NA hardcovers? No, you don't.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

At a glance Time Runs Out looks like a regular tpb but in hc, a loathsome practice. If history is any guide the oshc A/NA books up to secret wars will just be numbered, no subtitles.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Street Soldier posted:

I have some questions about the Mignolaverse you fellow goons can hopefully answer.

Do the Plague of Frogs HCs get reprinted often, or was I just unlucky enough to get into it when they all started running out?
Why is only volume 2 of Lobster Johnson available in hardcover?
Why were Hellboy Midnight Circus and House of the Living Dead released in hardcover but not a single library edition?
Chances of Hellboy in Hell getting library editions and BPRD Hell on Earth getting HC omnibuses?

Reprint: The 4 collections are being rereleased as softcovers so I'm guessing reprints are unlikely. 3 is the only one I can't find at a good price FYI
BPRD Hell on Earth: I vaguely recall mention... somewhere that they would happen at some point, after the 194X collection. Possibly after Hell on Earth is finished, dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I love the idea of built-ins but know I have far too many books to make it work, let alone dealing with super-sized books like Wednesday Comics or Prince Valient.