Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Neep posted:

I read digital and get nice hardcovers of things I really like. No more floppies.

Same. MU and a general disinterest /digital sales for DC has killed the majority of my tpb buying from the big 2, most of my favorite Image/DH/etc stuff gets nice hc collections, and that leaves Fantagraphics for my love and rockets normal trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah the Hickman omnibi are awesome, I dunno what this paper quality thing is about, every omnibus I've gotten over the past two years or so has been a marked improvement on what came before

The paper is thinner and less sturdy. I'm not bothered by it because I like to think I take care of the book so I never have problems. I'm also kinda ok with it because it massively improves readability via size; I have the original ASM omni and it's immense.

The price creep was less good, though. The Marvel omnis were already expensive and some of them drifting to 125 meant that I had to hope that inStocktrades would make them the weekly deal to bring the price to "normal".

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

You open your HCs? Wtf.

Can someone proficient with Twitter ask J.H. Williams 3 if/when Promethea Immateria is going to be released?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought it was delayed for sandman.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

obi_ant posted:

Is Locke & Key worth picking up and waiting for the Master Edition? Or should I just pick up the 10 books with the giant slip case? I've never read the series but I hear good things about it.

It's only 6 books?

I liked it but don't think the art really needs an oversized version, so digital would be fine too. The whole thing was part of a humble bundle earlier this year so maybe wait for an Xmas sale. The slipcase is apparently just the softcovers in a box.

That said I never actually read the last few issues so for all I know it takes a giant poo poo at the end.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Wheat Loaf posted:

If I want to get back into Usagi Yojimbo, but no longer have my Fantagraphics trades, what are the best collections to get? I know the Dark Horse run has started to get collected in the "Usagi Yojimbo Saga" books, but what about the Fantagraphics run?

Fantagraphics just reprinted their entire run in a set.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Maybe the 2 is for "2 books".

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Norns posted:

I'd like to quickly talk about how upset I am that I can only find the second Hickman Fantastic 4 omni for an acceptable price.

How long does it generally take for reprints?

Well, based roughly off Amazon reviews the Miller DD omni got a reprint after about 7 years. Same with Uncanny Xmen. Kirbyville F4 got one after 8 years.

I think reprints happen when there's a movie or other media property that would go with it so....... good luck with that F4 omni.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Anything is possible but I'd assume low chance.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Ikea Expedit + moving: move as-is, or try to disassemble first?

Disassemble, at least in part. I'm pretty sure they are constructed to bear a large amount of vertical force but almost no lateral force. If you can lie it flat that might be ok, or maybe if you rope it tight to the moving van.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I bought a used 5x5 years ago and it came disassembled, put it back together and it works great.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Brubaker also has 2 DD omnis, and Bendis has 2 DD, gotg, 2 USM, and New Avengers.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hrm, this would seem to mean that I need to buy stuff I want from IST on the day it's available since they don't do preorders.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Alhazred posted:

There was an omnibus for Howard the Duck. And while I like that comic and got the omni I also realize that it's hardly a mainstream comic.

I'd argue the difference is that while there may be a limited audience for Howard the Duck, and similarly for Shang Chi/Deadly Hands, Monsterbus, and some other more obscure titles, there's an appreciable value to people in those markets in that these are hard to get comics and a history-inclined audience is able to get a more premier book.

Shadowland carries no such cache except maybe trying to complete the omni gap between Brubaker and Waid (which I'm not sure if this actually does). I can kinda understand Deadpool for similar "completeness" urges.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Nyeehg posted:

So is shadowland bad? Know very little about daredevil outside the waid and miller runs so I would seriously consider getting another daredevil omni. If it's a bad story though I won't bother.

It is bad and you should blow your money on the Bendis and Brubaker omnis.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

obi_ant posted:

I just finished the first 3 issues of Casanova and I really like it. I assume the whole series is collected in the three volumes I'm able to find on Image's website?

Yes, although my understanding is that there is a current ongoing series.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Okay, a question that I've been holding off on:

What's the difference between the Daredevil Omnibus and the first two Epic Collections? Would I be missing anything vital if I just got the Epics instead?

From what I can see both choices collect the same issues.

Content is probably the same (a lot of early years Marvel omnis are clearly repackaged Masterworks editions stuck together) but omnis are oversized pages and I think epics are regular trade sized pages.

There may be a small amount of bonus content in the back of omnis like original pencils, and some early years books included the letters, although I think that's stopped for most omnis.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I live in Canada and would appreciate a recommendation for a couple heavy duty shelving units, please. I have many omnibuses. Keep in mind I don't have an IKEA anywhere near me.

Learn basic carpentry and cut down your own tree?

If you don't care about looks at all I would find a going out of business sale somewhere and buy the industrial shelves. Or (ugly) wire garage shelving from home depot or Amazon.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I've had generally good luck with Amazon and HCs, although the vast bulk of my purchases come from IST. Some of the general complaints I see about Amazon makes me think the quality of shipping is heavily dependent on where it's shipping to and from.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sweet Tooth good, Harrow County not written by Lemire. But Harrow County also good unless the ending (haven't read) shits itself.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

JordanKai posted:

In case you thought DC was done openly spiting god, they've recently announced a Justice League Dark (new 52) omnibus that will come in at an obscene 1640 pages. :vince:

Other new omnibus announcements include:

-Deathstroke (Rebirth) omnibus
-Batwoman (Rebirth) omnibus
-The Books of Magic omnibus vol. 2
-Batman: No Man's Land omnibus vol. 1
-Green Arrow: The Longbow Saga omnibus vol. 1
-Batman by Scott Snyder (New 52) omnibus vol. 2
-Batgirl of Burnside omnibus

I assume that should be Longbow Saga 2?

Finally on the 2nd Snyder omni. And pleased about Books of Magic, was worried that they would drop it after the first one. But IMO it seems DC has been much better recently on putting out (and sticking with) their omnis. Now if they'd only put the rest of the Unwritten hardcovers out (or omni it).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

JordanKai posted:

If there's one thing you can count on it is Marvel starting and then cancelling a line of hardcovers or omnibuses. They've gotten better about it than they used to be, at least.

I can't speak for HCs (although I can't think of any examples) but I'm drawing a blank on cancelled Marvel omni runs. DC is the one that was a giant risk but seems better now - my Unwritten HC stands alone.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 5, 2021

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

JordanKai posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel are the two that immediately come to mind. You're not wrong in saying that DC is worse about it, though.

Dunno about Ms. Marvel (do the hcs stop before Wilson’s run ends?) but I have all of USM in HC and Omni, the latter being just Death and Miles.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm the Conan omni buyer and I've bought too many to stop now. Marvel knows what I want and it's what is good in life.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

As a Conan omnibus buyer I stopped when the price crept up and the discount at IST got smaller (ie the Fleisher run). I'll probably keep forking over cash for the Savage omnibii because I'm a sucker but Regular Conan supposedly goes downhill after Roy Thomas leaves somewhere around issue 150. I think there's a blog post by Cristopher Priest where he poo poo talks the era before his run, and since he can be hot or cold I think I jumped off at a decent time.

I will say the first 5 omnis are very good. Consistently great art and the stories are very, I suppose, distilled sword and (Conan hating) sorcery. I'm not sure if there's much else quite like it - it is functionally the standard to which things are applied, but the quality is high enough that it's like... why not just read the thing that sets the standard?

In other giant book news I got Books of Magic Vol 2 and between those and Grell's Green Arrow Omnibii if you drilled a hole in the middle of them you could use them for dumb bells. Like, I really appreciate that DC is collecting all of this in nice looking books but ffs they are immense.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Heavy Metal posted:

Cool to see some Conan talk! This makes me want to check out more of the Marvel stuff. Love the Dark Horse stuff, especially Busiek. I've gotten a couple Savage Sword issues to fill in Howard adaptations Dark Horse didn't get to, but that does sound like fun stuff all around.

Tarantino in one of those podcast interviews mentioned how big a deal that Black Coast arc was at Marvel at the time.

If you liked the Busiek run then you'll probably enjoy the Thomas run. It's obviously more 70's in style/"how comics were" (not sure how to describe this) and a bit more PG but Conan goes all over, and IMO I feel that a lot of modern attempts in various media all try to capture that tone while being more Airbrushed Van Art and less... Prince Valiant, and it mostly doesn't work. The traditional comic style under Buscema and others does a lot to merge a somewhat low-fantasy world with high-fantasy presentation.

But if you have the DH stuff you may have seen some of it? I'm not sure how their license worked with their reprints.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

obi_ant posted:

What are you guys using to catalog your books? I'm using an Excel spreadsheet but that's getting pretty old.

I was using an android library app (MyLibrary?) on my phone, but deleted it all when an update to android required more permissions. Now I'm rescanning everything with a bar code reader app which generates the ISBN and does a tepid google search, and I email that to myself to shovel into excel/convert into cells. My goal is to use the "Web Coding and Development for Dummies" book I checked out from the library to build a web-based database. I could push it all in an Access/SQL database like I do at work but both there and here I am trying to get away from Access for frontend work.

Unfortunately I am a dodo and don't really know how to program so I expect to make zero progress.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah, a month ago the answer to all of your questions was yes, use comixology (I'm reading upgrade soul through it). Now.... It's still yes but a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought Volume 4 was the end of his hulk run, or at least that's how it was advertised.