Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

redbackground posted:

Are the two Marvel Strange Tales hardcovers oversized, or regular sized?
The first is oversized, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anyone know the odds on Jason Aaron's Punisher Max coming out in OSHC/Omni? Thwipster has the regular HCs on sale today, and I need to decide if I want to wait.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Shameless posted:

Given that they're released the Post-Ennis / Pre-Aaron stuff in OSHC I'd say the chances of getting the new stuff OSHC'd is pretty high. Never can tell 100% though.

That was my original thought, but the OSHCs usually cover 2 trades, and now 3 trades are out and nothing has been announced.
I have the same worries with Ultimate Spiderman, but there've been enough name changes and renumberings that I don't know how many issues are out since the last OSHC.
E: I'll probably just hop on this deal, because Dillon's art doesn't really benefit from being a bit larger.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Any idea if they'll correct the errors for the absolute? Last I heard they fixed Mr Miracle's ethnicity but screwed up Sunny Sumo's for the HC (and TPBs I think?).

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I've had one $50 order through Thwipster, and everything arrived fine.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Happy Hippo posted:

Oh look, I only have to wait 9 months to get the only trade that I'm remotely interested in getting (Action Comics).

Never change, DC.

Just kidding, please do.

To be fair, Action will collect 8 issues. Issue 8 should be out in April, so an August HC is 4 months after the arc is done, which is about right.
For comparison, I think rear end vol 2 HC was out 8 months after the final issue, and the TPB was around 2 years.

E: But drat, there's a lot coming out 7 months after the final issue.

StumblyWumbly fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 10, 2011

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bairfanx posted:

King City drops in February. 440-something pages, golden age sized, for 19.99. That means there's bonus material too. If you don't buy this, you don't like comics.

My patience/forgetfulness has finally paid off!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN HC VOL 12 $39.99

gently caress yes, was starting to lose faith.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Only way I'm getting a 1500 page omnibus is if it is printed in 4 dimensional space or takes the form of a self-aware hyperfluid.
So it's 50-50 odds I'll get Invisibles.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Inkslinger posted:

Yeah, it seems....big. Are there any other collections out there that size that aren't exploding out of their spines? That's even bigger than my Complete Bone collection...

Invisibles is around 25% larger than the Simonson Thor at 'only' 1192 pages.
A copy of War and Peace from Amazon had 1440 pages, but that's going to be smaller in height/width.
I think it'll be as large as the 2 largest Harry Potter books combined.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I got my shipping conf early Tues the 13th. I think I ordered on the 14/15th.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

krut posted:

So they shipped your order before you even ordered it?
Off by a week, ordered the 7/8th, shipped the 13th.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Happy Hippo posted:

Not for me. I'm currently reading the Simonson Thor Omnibus and it's a good 1200 or so pages. I want more omnibuses for my shelf but also for the stories. I just got the first X-Men Omnibus too, and I can't wait to get into it. I know that X-Men flopped when it first started up but I just have a soft spot for those old stories. I only wish they would make the omnibuses smell like old comics.

My wife got me Thor for a birthday a month or two ago, and I'm still working my way through it. Compressed writing * 1200 pages = a fuckton of story. I'm usually not a fan of just about anything in it (characters narrating their actions, vikings speaking like Shakespeare, etc), but it has still managed to grab me. Just getting to what I assume will be the ridiculous parts (Secret War and Frog Thor), and I expect that to be a whole different kind of awesome.

It is pretty tough to read in bed, tho.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

d00gZ posted:

Keep in mind the excellent Peter Doherty is remastering and recoloring the entire comic, so the delays aren't ridiculous.

EDIT: The colorist, not the crackhead and horse addict

Recoloring seems a bit unnecessary, doesn't it? I love the recoloring done on Watchmen, but that was from an era where backgrounds were all one color and shading was a bit poo poo. I don't remember Flex having those problems. Were there specific corrections someone wanted to make?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

JackDarko posted:

Is the Parker Martini Edition out of print? I can't buy it at amazon and i'd just like to know before I spend more to get somewhere else.

Also has anybody really been impressed with a collection they recently got?

I just got Chew Omnivore vol 2, and that's still really good. I like the printed covers instead of dust jackets that Chew and Locke & Key have. Also helps that they're excellent stories.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

enigmahfc posted:

People actually give a poo poo what the spine looks like? Seriously? Huh. I always thought what was inside the book mattered more, but I guess not.

Now that I think about it, I may buy Liefeld/Loebs X-Bullshit if it had an awesome spine with a hologram or two.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Alhazred posted:

If I were to pay fifty bucks for a volume of New X-Men I wouldn't only take it for granted that it was new but for that price I would also expect a signed nude photo of Grant Morrison to be included in the price because that's a huge amount of money to spend on one hardback.

You're not from around here, are you?

Honest answer is: That volume isn't a TPB, it's an over-sized hardcover that is no longer printed. Also, collectors

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

GLC just goes to HC first, the SCs are later, like all DC HCs.

Where later can be a year or two

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Apparently the Xombi TPB is coming out tomorrow, so I have some faith if they're collecting a low selling series with 0 chance of being referenced.

It's like they took the guy who was in charge of trades and shuffled him off into some corner where he could do no further harm...

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

New comics and trades come out on Wednesdays.

It's one of those weeks

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't want to shock anyone, but Frank Miller's Daredevil is really good. I've had it sitting on my shelf for years because every time I open and read the McKenzie issues (with Miller just on art), it was really mediocre. But once Miller really hits his stride I can see why it gets so much praise.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm wrestling with the idea of buying the Secret Warriors omni.
I never wrestle with the idea of double dipping on Hellboy/BPRD

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The BPRD books are regular dustcover having hardcovers. The good news is Mignola's work in single issues shows off the spectacle and horror of folks making their way through the war, but in the collections you get a better picture of the larger mythology he is building.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Mine had some barely visible water damage and a page stuck together. It didn't interfere with my reading of the book, but I could imagine somebody complaining

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Dan Hollis posted:

Just picked this up. Never heard of it before, but I trust Goon hype.

It should be mentioned, Flex Mentallo, the man of muscle mystery, is not your normal comic. If you made it past the cover thinking it is, I don't know what to say.

E ^ But Vertigo doesn't usually let things stay out of print for long, right? Unlike Marvel's Omni/OSHC

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
On the one hand, I prefer the bright and crazy colors. Maybe they're doing something so some scenes are bright and crazy and some are dull and real world?

On the other, I had completely forgotten about that scene where he discusses the impacts of the not-Kryptonite. I don't remember it well enough to quote, but everything I do remember about it is amazing.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

So I'm putting together my initial April order and I've come to the Invisibles Omnibus. Who is actually ordering this? I don't know that I can justify the price point for a book that will probably be so heavy the pages will tear out of the spint.

I love the Invisibles and unless I hear something amazing about how it is put together I cannot justify that omnibus. The money doesn't even matter as much as the fact that half the book will be lost in the gutters.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is it oversized or recolored?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Not a fan of Absolutes having new stories added in.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bobkatt013 posted:

Why not? They could be stuff they wanted to add but was unable due to the issue being too long.
If the story is worth putting out I'd like the option to get it for under 60-100.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Space_Butler posted:

It's probably because I have no previous exposure to Flex Mentallo's coloring, but I'm really loving this and not finding any of the colors to be any kind of detraction to the story. I knew I was in for a treat when I was only 4 paragraphs into the fictitious creative history at the front of the book and could not stop laughing.
The coloring works and looks good, but it does change the feel of the book a bit.

Does anyone know where that intro story came from? It doesn't look Morrison written, but it could be.

E: Whiting up some of the black folks is pretty hosed tho.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Shameless posted:

DEATH OF SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS HC $75

COLLECTING: ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN 15, 150-160; ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS VS. NEW ULTIMATES 1-6; ULTIMATE COMICS FALLOUT 1-6

How good/essential is the non-spider-man stuff? From what I remember, Bendis did Fallout, but Avengers vs Ultimates is Millar.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

The Bramble posted:

I'm posting this in the hopes that someone can just glance at their bookcase and give me a quick answer, and not have to go through the half hour of failed headscratching and googling I just attempted, but here goes:

I collect Ultimate Marvel hardcover collections. I don't follow the individual issues or even read this forum enough to know whats going on aside from using amazon every couple years to catch up on what new hardcovers have come out since I last looked. My current collection is all pre re-launch and pre-Ultimatum, and it seems like Marvel has really hosed up naming and issue numbers since then. The following is a list of the latest hardcovers for each series I currently own. Can someone tell me what I'm missing to be as up-to-date as possible when it comes to hardcover Ultimate Marvel comics?

Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 11
The Ultimates 3
Ultimate X-Men vol. 8
Ultimate Fantastic Four vol. 6

I also have the Ultimate Galactus trilogy (I think it was called Ultimate Nightmare before Galactus was revealed?), have there been any other special story arcs like that outside the main books since then?

Ultimate Spider-Man vol 12 just came out.
The Death of Ultimate Spiderman omnibus has been announced, and it looks like it is what follows vol 12. No idea if there will be a USM v13.

For the Ultimates, you definitely have the good books in the series.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
gently caress yeah, Absolute Top 10

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hatter106 posted:

Tip: if you're considering the larger 5x5 Expedit, keep in mind it should be bracketed to wall studs to prevent tipping. I nearly bought one but the only wall in my room where it could have gone didn't have properly spaced studs. The 4x4 was just enough (with some double-stacking) to hold every book I own.
I'm no carpenter, but if you're just looking to prevent tipping a toggle bolt should be more than enough, doesn't require studs, and is easier than drywall screws to use reliably.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

What if you live in a 100 year old house with plastered walls and no real drywall?

I use toggle bolts on plaster & lathe walls and they hold up shelves and poo poo. You want to get long bolts and make sure the toggles flip out, because the walls are thicker and the wood lathes are tough to navigate around, but it works just fine.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, sign me up for Top 10 as well. The art should really shine as an absolute. I haven't read it in years, but the Norse issue and the one with the giant chess piece both still stick in my head as the best single issues Moore has done in a long time.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

GrandpaPants posted:

On a tangent, are any of the non-Moore Top 10 stories actually worth checking out? I miss that world so much, but since it's so character driven, I can see someone just messing that all up.

I really liked Top 10 Season 2 (by Ha I think?) when it was coming out, but it was finished early and never collected so good luck finding it. The art was more somber, but it had great ideas like a guy getting caught cross-over dressing, magic as a drug with old wizards selling magic words to kids, and allusions to Shock-Headed Pete's secret origin his moonshine still was struck by lightning.
The other one was complete crap.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

^burtle posted:

I don't know what it means that aside from Final Crisis and BaR, I can't find a third book.

I hear you, I'll probably end up just getting 3 TPBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I just reread the whole thing, and thought the first volume was the weakest. It is still good, but Vaughn's big flaw of using all characters for exposition and Op-Eding is really front and center. Once the setup is out of the way I enjoyed it a lot more.