Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
This seems like the right place to ask, but does anybody have any suggestions for taking care of TPBs? A couple of my oldest ones are starting to worry me a touch.

Most of the obvious issues in this picture are minor cosmetic issues. Here my worry is along the spine, it's like that on both sides. I'm probably overly worried about it, but it seems a little flimsier than I would like, and I would be super upset if the covers fell off. What's a good way to deal with that?

And here my worry is more obvious. I'm worried that the pages are going to get loose or something and start to fall out. Has anybody here done any fixing up of their trades and know what to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

redbackground posted:

Put 'em in hardcover! :getin: (admittedly, this is my solution to everything)

Sadly, I don't have Batman vs Predator 3 yet. I would like to get into binding comics someday, but at the moment I am poor as poo poo and I have none of the stuff I'd really want to bind. Besides, I know the moment I do they're going to announce a first ever release of what I'm doing.

I am tempted to bind my Batgirl trades, volume 2 is holding together pretty well, but it's a very well loved library copy and looks it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh poo poo, I did not expect to see this. I have all three of them, they were one of my earliest comics purchases.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Shameless posted:

DC list for early 2016 is here:

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=3672447

Gotham Central getting an omnibus and a vol 3 of Ostrander Sucide Squad listed.

Lot of decent older trades there for me, David / Frank Supergirl, Black Lightning, Ennis' Demon....

Downside... it looks like Ostrander's Spectre is done with, no new volumes listed. :-(

Holy poo poo, Azrael. Been thinking of tracking those down and binding, but this will hopefully be much less work and moderately cheaper.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Uthor posted:

I'm sure this would drive some people mad.

(via reddit)

I had to do a double take because I first read the second name as Gustave Doré and that seems like it would have been a Hell of a get for a Bizarro comic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Lets hope they fix the cock-ups that screwed up the deluxe edition of YO.

What was wrong with the deluxe edition?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I still don't much care for the DC peel logo. The DC Shoes "ripoff" logo was much better.

I don't either. I assume by the shoes logo you mean the 2005-2012 one? That was ok, but I personally really like the Bullet they used before that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I have a somewhat... complicated method of organisation, but I'm also willing to break that method if I feel that something needs to work out in a certain way and the method wouldn't allow that.

I tend to group from genre > publisher > group (e.g. Bat-family, Superman, mutants, whatever) > style or theme > character > chronology which tends to create little chunks of somewhat related material that I feel reads well together, for example I have Batman: Year One, followed by Monster Men, Mad Monk, Man Who Laughs and Long Halloween. Similarly, on the end I have a series of Batman Elseworlds organised by time period, starting with Gotham by Gaslight and then followed by The Golden Streets of Gotham, The Doom that came to Gotham and Nine Lives.

And of course those bits where I break the method, it's generally things like deciding that a story feels better when with something else, such as Gate of Gotham being with my Batgirl stuff, or my collection grew, and the new additions made the original ordering seem out of place, but I try not to focus too much on those because if I do I'll drive myself nuts trying to figure out how to fix it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ooh, Deadman by Kelley Jones, someone at some point recommended that to me. I've never heard of Night Force, but it sounds interesting. American Alien in paperback, I'm looking forward to that. How's that Shazam? I don't think I've heard anyone talk about it. Also, Batman Arkham: Joker's Daughter? Really? A bunch of neat stuff in there to look forward to though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That Shazam mini is pretty weak honestly.

That's a shame. But then again, if people buy it, they might get the idea to collect The Power of Shazam, so maybe anyways.

Say, Rhyno, if you don't mind me asking, since I assume you'd be in the know, is Azrael volume 2 confirmed cancelled or can I hold out hope it's just been massively delayed?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The New Gods omnibus was my first, and frankly I expect it to be my last (but there's so much that's only collected in omnibus format...), I also prefer smaller, more easily handled books. I like DC's big ~12-24 issue trades a lot, but I find the prices tend to be weird and vary from very reasonable to unusually high. Still cheaper than Marvel's Epic Collections though.

jivjov posted:

There's a slight possibility that the parcel might still turn up; so nobody do anything too crazy til like, next friday (according to the bindery, the postal worker said they'd take a "few days" to try to track it down; the address it supposedly got delivered to is an empty lot; so who knows where it actually ended up) But here was what was in it:

Oh jeeze, that's rough, I hope things work out in your favour, one way or the other.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Excellent! I'm glad to hear things worked out.

I accidentally bought the fancy-rear end hardcover copy of JLA/Avengers, so I'm excited for that, and particularly in the bonus content which makes me wonder, what are some trades with the best extras? The old The Mask TPB had a nice, quick overview and even some previously unused pages of the pre-limited series history, and I always thought that was neat.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

jivjov posted:

Has anyone ever had TPBs bound? I have a BUNCH of old Dark Horse Star Wars TPBs that I have incomplete single issue collections of, and I wouldn't mind consolidating them down into bound hardcovers, but dunno what the final product would look like.

I still haven't gotten anything bound, but I have definitely seen pictures by people who have had TPBs bound. It works quite well, but apparently the gutter-loss can be worse when using trades so keep that in mind.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

radlum posted:

I never got to read the full Multiversity run and I wanted to know what is best way to do so, either in HC or TPB.

The TPB is fine, although the map is like, right in the middle so you lose some of it to the gutter. I don't know about the HC, it might be bound so it can lay flat better. I don't think there's any content differences though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Unmature posted:

Are they in color now? Weren’t Masterworks the big B&W collections where the benefit was in more comic book for less money? Either way the omnibus is really all you need.

That was the Essential line (and the DC equivalent was Showcase).

I kinda dig the Essential line, but I think that's because one of my earliest comics was Essential Hulk volume 2. I like the idea of "lots of comics, cheap, maybe not so pretty" but it makes total sense why that's a harder sell in a medium like this.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

dcs like "you kids like azrael??? ehhh ehhhhhh?? where are you going?"

And then they only do one collection for the dozen or so people that did show up. They had volumes 2 and 3 up for a bit! I'm still annoyed.

Edit: It also wasn't out of nowhere, it came out at the same time he showed up in Batman and Robin: Eternal.

catlord fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 18, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

i look at people that enjoyed all three volumes of knightfall like i do people that also enjoyed zero hour...i'm glad you folks got your collected editions, now i slowly back away from you.

i feel the same way about death/return though and i'm in the minority there...ok yeah the jurgens art is kinda iconic but the whole event was lame

Haven't read Knightfall, because every time I think I'm ready to grab it, DC announces a new, slightly more complete collection that's coming out real soon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I've long hated omnis. Between them being too heavy to read and top heavy to hold themselves together it's just a bad design.

I got one omnibus, the Fourth World one, and I love having it and all of that, but actually reading it is a pain. I don't intend to get more of them for that reason. There are smaller omnibuses, I am kinda curious about how well those read.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Unlike some people here, I don't really have too much issue with varying spines, but oof. Every once in a while I see something that just gets me, and that one does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Marvel's just 'spensive. I just bought the Killraven Epic Collection and that was loving $45. DC's a bit better about it, and I understand it's a business, but I do wish that collections were like, $5 cheaper across the board. I'd probably spend a bit more than I do now, even. Two books for $50 feels a lot better to me than one for $45.