Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I'm never quite sure how fair it is to call it Mignola's work, really. By the end of the second Plague of Frogs HC, I think his input was down to having a phone call once every miniseries with Arcudi to discuss where the plot was going.

That's absolutely wrong, the big plot always comes from Mignola and he always looks over scripts and edits dialogue or gives Arcudi pointers. Plus he's doing the covers for the series and if you notice he does the designs for new characters that Guy Davis then adapted. Plus at that point he was doing covers for the series, he's very modest and says Arcudi does the heavy lifting but it's all Mignola plots.

By the way if you all like the production behind the Hellboy and BPRD books check out the Manara Library editions Dark Horse started putting out last year, they really are fantastic. Even if you're not familiar with the mans work the first volume is completely stand alone and has one of Manara's and Hugo Pratt's very best stories in it. If anybody is really hesitant I can snap some pictures of volume 1 and volume 2. In Volume 2 they use two papers stocks one glossy for the in color first story, and the second a more matte but still very nice paper stock for the black and white story. That's just some great attention to detail you hardly see from publishers these days.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Huh, cool! I'd always been concerned that his name on it was a bit of a swizz, so it's nice to know that he earns his keep (so to speak).

And yeah, I have both the Manara HCs (and even vol one of the Erotic companion series pre-ordered). I've only read the first, and love the art, but... Hugo Pratt writes some odious stories, and they almost put me off the whole thing. They aren't even bad, as such, they just use rape and sexual violence in what is (to me, at least) a disgusting manner.

Thanks for being so cool about that didn't want it to come off like I was attacking you, but yeah Mignola puts in work.

It's difficult to say if that comes from Pratt or Manara, the stories I've read from just Pratt like Corto Maltese have none of that in them. I get the feeling he gives Manara the stuff he wants to draw, or is it what the European audiences want?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Hmmm. Hard to say, then. I'd assumed from the fact that Manara's self-penned story in Volume One was, while hardly progressive, at least non-rapey, that it was Pratt, but I guess you never can tell who's responsible for what (edit: Which, thinking about it, is a nice circular ending to this conversation). Anyway, it's an artists book, and the art is stellar, so I'm not too concerned.

Do you (or anyone else, really) happen to know quite how complete the full collection will be? I'm curious to know if that weird X-Women strip will make it in. I can't see how it could, but stranger things have happened.

Also, in other delightful collected editions news: The Empowered phonebook edition is out soon! Who's psyched? I'm psyched.

I'll make this my last reply just to not annoy you. I can't help but reply! I am very excited about it I am pretty sure Warren wrote the solicit and it shows how much he cares about the book that he mentions it has really good paper right there in the solicit.

I don't think it will involve any of that but it is supposed to be 7 volumes long with 3 separate erotic volumes, so who knows. I've searched and searched and there's no interviews about the books or anything I guess their target market are really just Manara fans.

Thanks for linking that by the way I had not read it before, and it's making me think about comic criticism in that I agree that a writer should work with an artist to become a cartoonist not to over power the other.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Zachack posted:

I'd say it's more than decent if you like Remender's style.

I don't know some folks really really don't like Time Travel.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Has anybody gotten the New X-men Omnibus reprint? Is it worth getting? As long as it's comparable to the other omnibus i'll be satisfied, just curious.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It doesn't hit comic shops until Wednesday. I will report in then.

Thank you, since I saw it was available on amazon I was thinking someone might have already gotten it. You're the man.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The Omni looks pretty good man, my phone died or I'd post pictures. It's average Omni sized unlike the SImonson Thor book so binding shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Also out tomorrow is the Morrison Action Comics HC and it's a great package all around with the stories in the order Grant intended, followed by the backups and every variant cover.

Does it have the same cover Amazon shows?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Glenn Danzig posted:

New X-Men Omnibus?

Yes.

Awesome, thank you.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

TheLoser posted:

So the new edition of Scott Pilgrim is pretty drat great. Fairbairn's colors go perfectly with O'Malley's older style of drawing. I always thought the first volume looked kinda ugly but people like my girlfriend keep telling me it's the best looking out of all the books.

My only gripe about this edition is it's such an odd size to fit on my shelf. No matter where it goes, I'll keep thinking it just doesn't belong.

Is the binding sewn or glued?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I don't mind i'll just eventually get the Batman Inc absolute, it's had the most consistent art.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

My Absolute Batman and Robin shipped, getting it tomorrow pretty stoked to see what it looks like.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Take some pics if you get a chance.

I just got it and it's pretty nice, it has no dust jacket which I think is a nice, i'll snap some pictures of the book in a little bit.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Let me know if you guys want anything else.