Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I've received my Dark Tower omnibus. I haven't browsed through it yet but my back hurts. That thing seemed a lot worse than Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Random Stranger posted:

Last week I decided that it was finally about time that I got around to reading Tintin. And given the length of the series I thought the best option would be to order the box set for the series. It arrived today and I was surprised to find out that it lacked three stories: Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, Tintin in the Congo, and Tintin and Alph-Art.

I know that the first two are highly controversial at best and supposedly not very good and the last one is an unfinished work but the entire point of a box set is to collect everything. I can understand where they might not want to present the two stories featuring racist caricatures first; they could have shoved them into a volume in the back with an essay explaining their place in the stories. Skipping over both ends of the Tintin stories just seems the wrong way to do this.
Honestly, it doesn't make much sense. If the first 2 volumes are considered controversial, there's also controversial stuff later in the series. I love Tintin but it's clearly full of demeaning stereotypes, for everyone.
Anyway, if you haven't read this yet, you're in for a treat. There's some very good stuff in there, as classic to me as Eisner, Kirby or Tezuka can be (and these guys are my big 3).

drat, I should look for a box set in french or something. All I have are old rear end hardcovers published in 1980.

In other news, my Kamandi HC has shipped. I think it's the collected edition I've been the most excited about this year.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I don't know if other euro goons have noticed but Amazon seems to randomly upgrade shipping to UPS or DHL.
I got my Bone hardcover in 5 days last month and I'll get my X-Statix omnibus next week, for no added shipping costs. That's pretty nice. It's not necessarily linked to the price/volume of the book though: my Absolute Sandman 5 had regular international shipping.

Quick question to everyone: how are Legion of Super Heroes: The Curse and the first New Teen Titans Omnibus? I don't know the material in these books at all.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
After much hesitation, I didn't buy the Frankencastle HC last year, so I'll be getting the Punisher Omnibus.

That being said, Marvel seriously needs to have so much overfuckinglapping between OSHCs and Omnibi. It's not like they're addressing 2 different niches there.

(I'm looking at you, Siege and X-Force 2)

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
This might have been going on for a while but anyone around London should note that the first seven volumes of the Love and Rockets Library, the small square softcovers, are 4 quids each at Forbidden Planet.

These are the Titan editions though, which essentially means the band on the spin that says Fantagraphics in the US edition says "Titan Books" here. This wasn't a deal breaker for me at that price.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I found a New Avengers Omnibus vol. 1 while fishing on Amazon, it's supposed to be 1208 pages. Is this new?

Meanwhile, there's still no OSHC announced for the Heroic Age stuff, except for one that collects the first 6 issues of the new Avengers and New Avengers series. And which will probably overlap with other OSHCs/Omnis down the road...

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
So basically, you can either buy 1000 page books or 200 page books? I kind of miss the ~400 page OSHC format that allowed for a year's worth of material. I know these are still released but they somehow seem scarce.
That being said, how was The Stand? I quite liked what they did with the Dark Tower.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Fished on Amazon an Avengers vs X-Men HC. It's 500 pages for a $75 retail price.

I don't follow current stuff so I have no idea how good/bad this will be but it's still striking to see how quickly the X stuff gets oversized releases compared to the rest of the Marvel books.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

This event has just started and will be 13 issues at least. So there is no way that they know how many pages this will be or released.
It's definitely a placeholder and some of them have turned out to be red herrings in the past but some others turned up in the next solicits. Anyway, it seems in the right ballpark.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Has anyone picked up the Spirit World hardcover? From the looks of it, it's oversized and looks interesting but it's also a bit on the expensive side given its width.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Shameless posted:

DEATH OF SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS HC $75

COLLECTING: ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN 15, 150-160; ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS VS. NEW ULTIMATES 1-6; ULTIMATE COMICS FALLOUT 1-6
After reading the Ultimate Avengers omnibus this week-end, there's no way I'm buying anything Ultimate related for a long time. That poo poo was offensively stupid. My worst buy in a long time.

quote:

Deadpool MAX OSHC $35

COLLECTING: DEADPOOL MAX 1-12, DEADPOOL MAX 2 1-6, DEADPOOL MAX X-MAS SPECIAL
I have honestly no idea how they decide to price things. I'll probably buy this.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I just fished Incognito: The Classified Edition and Powers: The Definitive Collection - Volume 5 on Amazon. Nice.
I like how Powers has kept its original price point.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Amazon has a 1440 page Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Omnibus. Are DC out of their mind or do they just like seeing cheaply glued books fall apart ?

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bairfanx posted:

Except for Time and the Batman.
This is still terribly nonsensical. I realized only last month I hadn't read TatB so I bought a used softcover, out of spite. (yeah, I sure showed them!)

I don't get why it didn't end up in RIP or something.

I also realized I was missing the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul in my Morrison collection. I bought it and almost regretted it. I can definitely see why this wasn't oversized.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Hooray, my Secret Warriors Omni has shipped.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
loving A. I've been waiting for this for ages. I'll have 48 issues of catching up.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Random Stranger posted:

I got the new Uncle Scrooge collection in the mail only to find that someone had defaced it. They stuck a foreword by George Lucas in the book. :argh:
How appropriate.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Oh poo poo, I had missed that Animal Man Omnibus. Preordering it now.

What's the final word on the Invisibles omni by the way? Does it fall to pieces or is it sturdier than what DC has accustomed us to?

Also, I'm not touching that new Batman Incorporated HC because if I do, I'm sure it will be regular sized, followed by a softcover only volume 2 with a mismatched spine.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

redbackground posted:

Knowing DC, Volume 2 will be Deluxe-sized.
I'd agree if they hadn't hosed up Time and the Batman.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Rhyno posted:

Dude, I have to move in three weeks into a 3rd floor apartment. Don't you cry about one little box.
We moved 200 miles back in December. We had spent a month packing something like 100 OSHCs/Omnis, probably twice as many regular softcovers and hardcovers, a dozen Absolutes and inane bullshit like the complete Calvin and Hobbes, all these Peanuts volumes and some big Mad volumes. And my wife had almost the same volume in art history books.

At the end of this crazy day, all the short Russian fellow who had done the moving could say was "you must read a lot, eh?"

In retrospect, I'm still amazed the move went so well and I totally dread the next one. Every time I'm about to order or pre-order something, I think about all these loving boxes and how many more we'll have next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Speaking of BotA, any chance someone picked up the OSHC or saw it and could tell me if it contains a digital copy?

I know omnis don't but events tend to.
I'm not interested in BotA but it would be nice if Infinity came with a digital copy.