Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

funtax posted:

Just a heads up, Top Shelf is doing one of its $3 sales for the next few weeks. Even if there's nothing you really want, for $3 you could just pick stuff at random and probably get your money's worth.

I really like David Yurkovich's comics. Death By Chocolate: Redux collects his three one-shots about an FBI agent made of living chocolate, working for the Food Crimes Division, and Less Than Heroes is an early work (and kind of crude compared to some of his later stuff) about a team of low-powered but well-intentioned loser superheroes. For $3 each, you can't go too wrong with those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I've been hoping for a while that they would release a nice version of the Cooke/Brubaker/Stewart Catwoman stuff and I just noticed this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Catwoman-Vol-1-Darwyn-Cooke/dp/1401233848/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1315916353&sr=8-4

Pretty far away, but man I hope it is embiggened. That art deserved it.

Considering that I own and love the original four TPBs of that run, I highly recommend the new edition to anyone who likes Brubaker. It really is a great run with gorgeous art, and made me give a poo poo about Catwoman for the first time ever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I posted this in Derailed last night, but it may make more sense and get more replies here:

Since we're complaining about canceled TPBs, does anyone know the story behind the delay of the next (and most likely final) Booster Gold volume? Volume 6 came out in March, around the same time as Justice League: Generation Lost Volume 1, and I was fully expecting Booster Volume 7 to come out in October, to synch up with Generation Lost Volume 2. It was briefly listed on Amazon earlier this year, but then the listing was taken down. I've been carefully checking the solicits every month now, and it hasn't even been solicited yet.

Then I figured that DC might release one last big TPB with the end of the Giffen/DeMatteis storyline as well as Jurgens' few Flashpoint-related issues that wrapped up the series, but then the Flashpoint hardcover came out recently, and Booster Volume 7 STILL hasn't been solicited. Any word on this, from retailers or anyone else? Were sales that bad? I haven't read Flashpoint, but I assumed Booster Gold was a key book during that time. It just seems surprising that before long, it'll be a year from the last TPB, and we still don't know when the next one is due (if at all).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
WTF?!?!

quote:

FLASHPOINT: THE WORLD OF FLASHPOINT FEATURING SUPERMAN TP
Written by MIKE CARLIN, REX OGLE, DAN JURGENS, SCOTT SNYDER and LOWELL FRANCIS
Art by RAGS MORALES, PAULO SIQUEIRA, GENE HA, EDUARDO FRANCISCO, DAN JURGENS and NORM RAPMUND
Cover by GENE HA
On sale MARCH 14 • 256 pg, FC, $17.99 US
Don’t miss this Superman volume collecting WORLD OF FLASHPOINT #1-3, BOOSTER GOLD #44-47, THE CANTERBURY CRICKET #1 and PROJECT SUPERMAN #1-3.

So this means almost a year after the last Booster Gold TPB collecting up to #38, they're dumping the last few issues of the series in a Flashpoint tie-in TPB? Does that mean Booster #39-43 will never be collected in a proper TPB?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I went as high as 30 issues with back covers and double-sided ads removed, but it would be better to keep it around 25, give or take. That 30-issue book is a little heavy and awkward now. You live and learn!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Glenn Danzig posted:

The problem is the run is split between 2 books and as of now, does not include the finale.

Actually, WildC.A.T.s/Aliens took place before the two final issues of Stormwatch, #10 and 11. #11 ended with the funeral of the team members killed by the Xenomorphs and led directly into The Authority #1.

EDIT: drat, we're almost up to two years without a seventh and final Booster Gold TPB. Screw you, DC.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 1, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I stand corrected, but I knew it wasn't the final chapter.

It's funny, I've found a handful of cheap copies of WildC.A.T.s/Aliens in dollar bins and even quarter bins over the years, and I always flip them on Amazon Marketplace in the $15-$25 range. I don't own a copy anymore, since I can't resist that. That one-shot is easier to find than the corresponding Stormwatch: Final Orbit TPB nowadays!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Can anyone confirm that the Dark Reign: The List: New Avengers issue is reprinted in the New Avengers Volume 13: Siege TPB? Amazon says it is, but Wikipedia (I know, I know) says it isn't.

I'm trying to piece together a complete run of New Avengers TPBs as cheaply as possible, and I know that's a key story (Hawkeye/Ronin going after Osborn), but I don't want to have to get the Dark Reign: The List TPB just for that one issue.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I have the trade in my hand and it is included.

Awesome, thank you! One fewer book to track down.

EDIT: Do any of the New Avengers TPBs reprint the Free Comic Book Day special from a few years ago (2010?) where the New and Dark Avengers teams fight?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

If they don't I can probably find you a copy for free.

You are awesome! I actually have a copy, but I was just hoping the TPBs were complete, with every odd and end from Bendis' run.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
drat, I have the original run of TPBs, but that is awesome. Sleeper (and the underrated Point Blank) are some of my all-time favorite comics, and still my favorite Ed Brubaker work.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I was wondering if there is a cheap way to get Lucifer, Vol. 4: The Divine Comedy?

I found it for a friend at a local comic shop. Paid full cover price ($20?), but that's still cheaper than I've seen it on Amazon Marketplace. I'd be happy to check if they have another one, if you want.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

PelvicNerve posted:

Hooray, my Secret Warriors Omni has shipped.

Have you read it before? Because I just finished rereading the whole run last night, and you are in for a treat!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Is it actually good? I've never read any Nick Fury stuff.

Secret Warriors is REALLY good.

I don't know if this will make you any more or less interested, but it reminded me a bit of the never-ending struggle between G.I. Joe and COBRA, only better-written than any of the '80s comics or cartoons (and add in some young superheroes).

But if you aren't a child of the '80s who may have grown up with G.I. Joe, it's far better than that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

wildlele posted:

Is it standalone? Or does it tie into lovely events? Is the series done?

There is a minor Secret Invasion tie-in (that's when the team was first introduced, and they helped fight off the Skrulls in Central Park), and some Dark Reign stuff with Norman Osborn being in charge of everything and HAMMER having replaced SHIELD, but that's about the extent of it.

The whole thing is over and done with, wrapped up very neatly with no loose ends.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Daisy Johnson first appears in Secret War (not Secret Wars 3) and also shows up in the fourth New Avengers TPB (probably the worst arc of the series), and the rest of Fury's actual team make their first appearances in Mighty Avengers during the Secret Invasion tie-ins, but you don't really NEED to read any of those.

I had not realized that Gorgon and Kraken were both relatively new characters, rather than classic HYDRA villains, until I looked them up on Wikipedia. I wouldn't worry about them either -- Hickman explains what you need to know about them.

S.H.I.E.L.D. is batshit insane (in a good way), with gorgeous, detailed art by Dustin Weaver, and I think it would improve the overall experience of reading Secret Warriors, but I don't think it's necessarily required reading either.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm still pissed they never even solicited Booster Gold volume 7, which would have collected the last nine issues -- the end of the Giffen/DeMatteis run and the Jurgens Flashpoint stuff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I haven't had a chance to sit down and read the Grendel omnibus yet but I'm pretty concerned about it. The back cover tells me that it will be "following the story chronology" which is something I don't care for (publication order is always better for getting the context and artistic development) but that's something I can live with.

A few years ago I picked up Grendel: Black, White, and Red thinking that short stories about the character would be a good way to get into the series. The problem was that almost every story in it was a follow up to some other part of the Grendel series and it jumped around a lot. I got huge blocks of exposition in these eight page stories about when exactly it took place. That made it a really uninviting way to get in.

So the Grendel Omnibus with it's stories in some semblance of order seemed like a better option for me. Except the very first comics in the omnibus (after what looks like a prose recap): Black, White, and Red. And not even with the stories rearranged chronologically; it's exactly the same as the trade. Looking up where the storylines fall the other material in the omnibus apparently comes in at the end of the story (both in publication order and chronologically). It feels like this should have been volume 3 or 4 in the omnibus set but they accidentally put the cover to volume 1 on it.

I've read almost all the Hunter Rose Grendel stories before, but I don't own them anymore so I've been looking forward to the Omnibus. Does it include the earliest three issues that predated Devil By the Deed, or Grendel #16-19, with two short Hunter Rose stories from the original Comico run (after the Christine Spar and Brian Li Sung Grendel sagas)?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I apologize if this has been asked and answered before (especially by me), but is the 2009 Avengers Free Comic Book Day issue included in the Siege TPB? I'm looking at the Amazon listing, which doesn't mention it, but someone's review says it is.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thank you both!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

Why are Marvel's Ultimate Collection tbp's so expensive? Unless the couple of trades they contain are out of print it always seems cheaper to buy those couple of trades separately.

Most of the time, they don't release the Ultimate Collection TPBs until the original shorter TPBs fall out of print. Sometimes you can still find OOP TPBs (and sometimes even at a discount), but other times they become rare and go for inflated prices on the secondary market. Warren Ellis' first Thunderbolts TPB, Faith in Monsters, was rare and expensive for a while, but seems to have leveled out since the Ultimate Collection with both of his volumes came out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

One of my favorite comics. I would love for Ellis to come back to this one day.

Me too, and it's a drat shame the show was never picked up, as it was the perfect concept for action-packed episodic television.

I loved Ellis' too-short Secret Avengers run because it was all done-in-one, high-stakes storylines, like Global Frequency but with Steve Rogers, Sharon Carter, Black Widow, Beast, and Moon Knight.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm pretty sure the worst thing on earth is when you reorganize your trades and discover you're missing a middle volume of something. Or in my case missing five volumes.

I wonder where my Ex Machina trades have all gone. :sigh:

I am trying to sell the complete run of ten TPBs (for a discount off cover price) in case you would be interested.

Saxman2 at hotmail, or drop me a line in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread in SA-Mart.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Most of my TPBs:

Y The Last Man and custom-bound hardcovers here:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

KingShiro posted:

Looking to pick up Frank Miller's Daredevil run. Do I get these or get the Visionaries Vol. 2 & 3 TPBs?

When you get beyond those, I have extra copies of DD: Born Again (TPB) and DD: The Man Without Fear (Premiere Hardcover) if you want to fill out the rest of your Miller run.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I get why he's upset, but that is still a lovely attitude to have. Buying single issues is worse for the consumer in every way, the only benefit being that you get to read them earlier. But even then that's not always optimal, as some stories read better in one sitting. I honestly think it's one of the biggest reasons why more people aren't into comics. It's a complete hassle to deal with over just buying trades, which also isn't a great solution, the way the industry works right now.

Brubaker is probably my favorite comic writer, but one thing I don't love is how he includes bonus material in his singles (Criminal and Incognito, not sure about Fatale) as a reward for people who buy them, but purposely has it left out of the trade paperbacks, punishing the trade-waiters like me. I know I COULD buy the singles, but I just don't like the format, and I think of TPBs as the equivalent of TV seasons on DVD, which usually contain bonus features.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

It's an incentive for people to buy the singles, not a punishment for those who don't.

I know, I know, and I understand his rationale, but it's still annoying.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Karnegal posted:

Which would be an easier piece of advice to follow if some publishers didn't put 1-sided ads in their poo poo.

I've bound a bunch of stuff (JLI, Starman, Sandman Mystery Theatre, American Century, and the '80s Blue Beetle series) and removed all the double-sided ads, but leaving in all the single-sided ads are just an unfortunate side effect of binding.

The thing is, I had them all already. Now I'd just rather buy nice, COMPLETE trades and save myself the extra money, time, and effort.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Just picked up the Sleeper Omnibus. I hope it's as good as the first one.
I wish I could read Sleeper again for the first time. It's my favorite of all the Brubaker/Phillips collaborations -- better than Incognito, Fatale, and even Criminal.

Does the Omnibus include Point Blank, the "prequel" miniseries by Brubaker and Colin Wilson? If not, you'll want to get that too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Nice.

Anyone who preordered the Hawkeye Vol. 1 TPB from Amazon, did theirs ship today? Yesterday it was listed as coming out March 6th, but today I see it said March 19th (yet my preorder is still scheduled to arrive March 8th).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Casyl posted:

Mine has not shipped yet. My order still says expected delivery date March 26th too...

Thanks, both of you. I just double-checked (I used my wife's Prime account), and even though it still hasn't shipped, it still says March 8th is the delivery estimate. Weird. I really got my hopes up yesterday, needless to say!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I received my Shade TPB from Amazon today, after waiting two years to read it (from the original announcement to the year-long miniseries to the wait for the retarded monkeys to release a TPB). But Amazon shipped it loose in a gigantic, floppy padded envelope, and the book was beaten to hell. It was so bad that I couldn't just swallow it and let it go, so now I have to ship it back and wait around for an exchange.

I was really disappointed and feeling a little sorry for myself, and then I drove to the store and a girl hit my car in the parking lot.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Wasn't someone looking for the 52 Volume 4 TPB for a while? I saw one today for cover price ($19.99) in a local bookstore, along with Volumes 1-3, in case anyone is still interested.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
God drat does DC suck, and I say this as someone who bound all the Starman singles into four custom hardcovers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bairfanx posted:

How many comics have letter pages that were actually relevant to the series in any way?

Starman is the only one I can think of, with James Robinson himself answering letters for the first few years and talking about his own interests in art, literature, film, music, and collectibles -- all things that bled into Jack Knight's personality and interior monologues.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

Anyone know where I could get vol 3 and 4 of 52? The only place I can find them is Amazon marketplace for $40 apiece.

A used bookstore in my neighborhood has one copy of each for cover price, $20 each. Email me at saxman2 at hotmail if you want me to pick them up and ship them to you at cost.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 10, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bairfanx posted:

I mean, my point was that the letters pages to The Invisibles (at least the ones I've read, haven't seen them all) actually add to it in a substantial way instead of being "oh, that's a neat thing."

Oh, sorry. Never read Invisibles, but that sounds neat.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Speaking of Sandman trades, I have a mismatched set of the ten volumes, almost all from different print runs. Does anyone else have random Sandman volumes who might like to trade them, to help each other get closer to matching sets?

Here are mine. As you can see, Volumes 1-4 all match (but they are former library copies, complete with library pockets for cards glued to the inside back covers), and 8-9 match from a different print run.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 10, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Speaking of Sandman trades, I have a mismatched set of the ten volumes, almost all from different print runs. Does anyone else have random Sandman volumes who might like to trade them, to help each other get closer to matching sets?

Here are mine. As you can see, Volumes 1-4 all match (but they are former library copies, complete with library pockets for cards glued to the inside back covers), and 8-9 match from a different print run.

Added the pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love Suicide Squad and regret selling all my singles instead of binding them when I bound my JLI, Starman, and Sandman Mystery Theatre runs.

I bought the first Suicide Squad TPB a few years back when it came out, and I remember they went as far as soliciting volume 2 before canceling it without an explanation (but presumably due to low sales for volume 1). That series was really tailor-made for reprinting in the black-and-white Showcase TPBs; DC could have done the whole run in three super-thick volumes, and it would not have lost much by being in black and white.