Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I enjoyed the story but got a weird feeling from the art, like wasn't some of Rocafort's better works. His work in issue 0 and RHATO was way superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space_Butler posted:

Lobdell writing Superboy out of character in Superman 15 really speaks volumes about his ineptitude as a writer, considering he was the one who rebooted the character in the first place. Christ.

The only remotely enjoyable part was Luthor monologuing if only because it was written well enough in Clancy Brown's cadence for me to read it in his voice. Beyond that, when you take a step back and look at what happened in this issue, it was almost completely meaningless in every regard.

How's Superboy acting out of character? :confused:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space_Butler posted:

The way he interacted/talked with pretty much everyone isn't even close to how he's been previously portrayed. The biggest example being when he went wide-eyed and asked goofy, aloof questions to the Justice League. It was like something that Bunker would do, not him. I dunno, maybe if next issue Lobdell has Superboy say "hey, your regeneration suit altered me completely to stop being robotic and lovely to people!" it'll make sense, but right now it was a total curveball.

Well he's been mellowing a lot lately, specially since he started hanged around with Bunker plus, I felt that he was acting toward Superman like a sort of big brother this made me feel him more like a teenager.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SirDan3k posted:

It's not exactly a long story, a bored kryptonian scientist kept killing and cloning Doomsday to force it's evolution eventually it starts adapting to what ever he throws at it, scientists get bored with Doomsday and shoots it into space.

Actually, it was Doomsday who got bored (and incredibly pissed off) with the scientists so he wrecked their poo poo and catched a ride on a Spaceship.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space_Butler posted:

New interview with Lobdell explaining more about his sure-to-be-dumb arc on Action. Also of note, he's now gonna be writing issue 25 as well. Every interview this guy does, he reveals DC has given him another issue. And since after all this there's still that storyline with the black suit set in Kryptons past, I am absolutely mortified of the thought that DC will just hand over both existing Superman titles to Scott loving Lobdell for the forseeable future.

That doesn't sound half bad actually and Superman 19 was pretty fun. He seems to be writing the kind of wacky poo poo that was really popular on the Silver Age and it's a nice change of pace for Superman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is kind of mind boggling that Hammond is gonna be a powerful baddie for Superman :psyduck:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Cyborg Superman redesign

It looks kind of cool

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Oh man. Are they bringing back his clusterfuck of a backstory?

Who knows, but Hank Henshaw showed on Team 7 like one of the lead scientists of the Majestic Project, and once things went belly up he seemed fused with the machinery.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if we'll be getting a real answer about if Doomsday beat the crap out of Superman on the N52 or it was completly different. If it doesn't happened I'd love to know the reasoning behind the aspect, I mean you can't impersonate someone that's alive, can you?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who read AC 20. The guy on the backup is supposed to be Zod?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone else noticed that Lobdell sneaked a reference to Doomsday on his last issue? Can't wait to see edited on the TPB :haw:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Spaceman Bill posted:

What was it?

This panel

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I know that no one besides me gives a poo poo for Lobdell's plot on Superman but I just wanna get out of my chest the idea that H'el is the N52 Eradicator. :pseudo:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HitTheTargets posted:

Isn't Supergirl's robot house the new Eradicator?

Could be both thanks to time travelling bulshit. I mean, since Lobdell's first issue he has set a doomsday cult on Krypton lead by the Eradicator and H'el was send to Krypton's past at the end of H'el on Earth so v:v:v

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yawgmoft posted:

How in the world does Lobdell get so much creative control? First he craps all over one of my favorite characters in the new 52 (Superboy), and now he's dragging down practically every single Superman title with not only his terrible writing but also his insane love of crossovers. How well can his word block comics actually be selling?

His comics are fun but to be honest I don't think that the crossovers are Lobdell's choice, that reeks more to Editorial interference. Since Snyder's bullshit crossovers sells like hot cakes on Batman it should be the same with Superman, right? :suicide:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Snyder's bullshit Batman crossovers? Take another look over Death of the Family and compare it to H'ell on Earth.
At least the ancillary books there were just that. You could solely read the Batman arc, but meanwhile some of the side stories were really decent.
H'ell was totally invasive crud, done in the worst way where you're required to read every drat thing across titles or be lost for the next issue of your preferred comic.

That's a matter of perspective, while I admit that H'el on earth ended on a whimper I didn't found invasive at all on the other titles and frankly, I like better when a story is told between various titles that when the plot is hijacked by a random crossover just because.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Revol posted:

It wouldn't make sense for the Daily Planet to get rid of Lane, even if they have become tabloid. She is a Pulitzer Prize winner. She gives that paper legitimacy.

Not that it really matters, The Planet's owner is just for the sales content be damned. That's why Clark walked away in the first place, if anything it would made sense for Lois to follow in his footsteps.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So Psionic War is all about Brainiac and Hammond, really obvious in hindsight.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And he will have his own issue on september.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That Cyborg Superman reveal :staredog:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
H'el is shaping to be a interesting character and his issue at least has convinced me to pick up the crossover if only to see how the heck they resolved this cliffhanger H'el kills Zod and Jor-El :stare:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I really liked Doomsday's issue, the way Pak handled him was fantastic no origin, only tales telling his terryfying power. The way he dealed with Death of Superman was also pretty clever since worked like a cliff notes onf the event without telling when or if already happened on the N52.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Swillkitsch posted:

I bought the Superman/Wonder Woman comic digitally and am somewhat dismayed it didn't come with the Cliff Chiang cover attached. The art in the issue is good, even if it's a little plain.

Honestly, even as a long-time Superman fan, I don't dislike the idea of Clark and Diana as a couple on principle. I think what most bothers me about it is just the precedent Johns has set in the Justice League books, and which I guess is going to be status quo for their relationship in this new comic. We're supposed to think they complement each other because they've both got that "stranger in a strange land" thing going on, but I don't think I buy it in this format, especially while reading Azzarello's Wonder Woman concurrently: Diana is somewhat alienated from the world of man, but on the other hand, she's still there in an official capacity. On top of that, she comes from a living (if currently petrified) culture and has a family, as well as a growing supporting cast. WW in the Azzarello book is troubled, but mostly a self-actualized person who acts in accordance with a consistent sense of duty and compassion.

And then there's NEW CLARK. I've dropped Action for the time being after Morrison left, but I'm still reading Superman/Batman, and the implication for new Clark is that he's brasher, more impetuous, and that the reason for this is because he's lost both his parents--who would leash his overconfidence in an inadvertent capacity--and has never used Lois as a nexus point for his developing morality. While he's still a good guy who believes in (and then does) the impossible, he's no longer apolitical; he's more of a "typical" action protagonist than he used to be pre-Flashpoint. He's confident, but hotheaded, and he still has a lot to learn.

If you present me with these two characters in a vacuum and asked me what I thought their romantic relationship should look like, I'd suggest that they could empower one another in a dynamic and really more classic "battle couple" way. They're two people who can literally do anything in both the realms of science fiction and myth. They should be friends! On top of banging, if you need banging, but on paper they just have the potential to inspire each other to do better things.

Instead we have Diana unhappy about Clark's really very obviously comprehensible desire for privacy. And then we see her on a roof waiting for her guy, who pops out of nowhere with a flower like somebody from a Julia Roberts movie. Pre-Flashpoint they (along with Bruce) had a great interplay where they have an intrinsic understanding of each other's need to maintain a work-life balance; they talked in costumes, out of costumes, sassed each other. In this book and in JL there's none of that natural camaraderie. Johns, and now Daniel, are intent on creating an "epic" romance between these two EPIC CHARACTERS, but it fails to hit any poignant notes because it's predicated on a stupid premise: two people! alien cultures! isolated! in love! It doesn't work unless you accept that WW's characterization in her strongest book doesn't mean poo poo. Which I guess has been the truth from the outset, but dammit, I don't want to live in that world.

I don't think that they're ignoring all that's happened on WW's book, if anything I got the impression that they want to add it to the larger DCU and certainly is a hard task since they're two different beasts.

Minor thing, Charles Soule's the writer, Daniels' just doing the art. And I found kind of weird how Soule was trying to tie the status quo on their solo books in this.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More info about 'Doomed'

It seems than Doomsday is more like a disease and Superman is infected on this arc, okay then :psyduck:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, what the gently caress is Doomsday now?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'd recommend all of you to read this:

http://bfromc.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/super-problems-part-one/

http://bfromc.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/super-problems-part-two/

http://bfromc.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/super-problems-part-three/

Is really interesting and the author brings some good points.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

It says that smallville had good ideas

Could be? I mean he's also suggesting to bring back Superboy's relationship with the Legion of Superheroes and I can't give a gently caress about the Legion but hey, if it can work to make Superboy interesting again. :shrug:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

After today Superman has Killed Pa Kent I am also looking forward to the new Superman, and the hint that there is a fourth krypton survivor.

I also want to know is Superman/Batman worth reading? Pak is awesome on Action and really enjoying his run and wondering if its more of the same? Wow Action and Superman are worth reading, its great time to be a Superman fan.

Batman/Superman is worth a read but some arcs are kind of bad (First Contact), others have a weird tone (Mongul's arc. Its annual was loving awesome though) and it suffers of massive delays.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, Action Comics was great. That last page :flashfap:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I read all three Doomed issues this week. Did I miss something or did Cyborg Superman get defeated off screen?

He was alive and fine in SM/WW Annual 3 but come Action Comics 34 all that's left is a disembodied cyborg hand floating around. What happened there?

Superdoom ripped his arm and then he gloated about just being a diversion, he showed up for a few panels on Action Comics when activating the portal.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
He's loving awesome. Batman Superman and Action Comics are easily the best Superman and Batman books being published right now :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That's Bruce

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Adder Moray posted:

So here's a thought I've been having:

Superman's probably the only character I can think of whose story gets stronger with a change in (apparent) ethnicity. Assuming, of course, you leave the Kents exactly the same.

And when I say that, I don't mean if you change other characters their stories fall apart. Nor do I mean his story wouldn't change at all.

What I mean is that one of the intended aspects of Superman's mythos is his status as an outsider looking in on humanity who is, in many ways, one of the most human people around. And the changes that would come with altering Clark, but not the Kents, would have a major impact on Clark, but not by changing this aspect, but by adding an underline to it.

Clark is a kid who thought he was just a normal person, had it revealed to him that he wasn't, and then proceeds to lead his life being the only one who knows he's different. Which isn't to say the weight of that difference isn't heavy upon (good portrayals of) him.

But picture, for a moment, a non-white looking kid adopted by two white parents and raised in a small town in Kansas. You don't have to make anyone in Smallville racists for that kid to feel like the odd one out.

Now, I'm not making a call to change the current Superman, it's just something I was thinking of branching off a previous discussion I had about Peter Parker being one of the few heroes whose ethnicity you could change while having almost no impact on anything else about him.

Batman and Superman were on the list of characters who you couldn't change without hugely changing who they are. Further thought lead to the above.

Just some comic-based navel gazing.

Not quite the same thing you want but the Superman on JLA: Gods & Monsters was raised by mexican inmigrants while the current Superman on Earth 2 is black.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some American Alien pages, from Nick Dragotta's twitter

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I thought that it had a weird pacing, like things have just happening when bam! the issue just ends. Aside of that it was a solid first issue.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Doomed was recently published here, awesome, awesome story.

I'll miss classic Doomsday though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interview with Adams about the "Coming of the Supermen"

quote:

IGN: How would you compare what you're doing with Coming of the Supermen to what you did with Batman in Batman: Odyssey?

Adams: Well, it's kind of the same thing. I'm taking a new look, which is the old look, and saying, "No, guys. I understand everybody likes to change things and move things around. No. It was good. It just needs to be done in a more professional and better-drawn way." That's really all. That's what I did with Batman; that's what I'm doing with Superman. I'm hoping that other people will look at what I'm doing with Superman and say, "Hey, that's how we wanted to see Superman!" I mean, Jim Lee has done a lot of that already. He's done a much more powerful and better-looking Superman. I want to carry that on. I just feel that Superman should be a little bit better, a little bit juicier and a little bit more romantic. He doesn't have to be a pretty boy, he just has to be handsome and rugged and tough. And he maybe has to be that one little thing I put in at the end of this story. Of course, I can't tell you what that is.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
American Alien continues to be fantastic.

And holy poo poo I wasn't expecting Doomsday to show up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

After Savage Dawn, Peter Tomasi is taking over Superman, Action, BM/SM and SM/WW for two months for an eight part story.
http://www.newsarama.com/27600-dc-comics-april-2016-solicitations.html
"His time without powers made Kal-El realize that the world is in need of more protectors...more super-powered beings like himself. But where will he find such beings?"

Action Comic's solicit is pretty amusing

quote:

ACTION COMICS #51

Written by Peter J. Tomasi, art by Fernando Pasarin, cover by Karl Kerschl, variant cover by John Romita Jr.

Superman is shocked to learn that Kara has been missing for some time as part three of "Super League" begins! Now, with Batman's help, Kal-El is on his cousin's trail -- but he can't believe where it's leading him and who she has joined!

32 pages, $3.99, in stores on April 20.

• Locked thread