Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
drat, you're not allowed to stomp unruly party guests and throw their unconscious bodies outside? isn't that more or less what bar bouncers do for a living?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I don't think that Artie Cooper article can be topped. Close thread.

quote:

Well-liked and thoroughly connected in the industry, Coker also has many Hollywood connections and has appeared in films such as Dragon Fight, Berry Gordy’s The Last Dragon and Surf Ninjas.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

quote:

MMA Journalism: You probably didn't notice this but you should probably be outraged

this lady freaking out about "rock you like a hurricane" being played in new orleans reminds me of the trauma i suffered went i went out to the bars in new orleans and saw many insensitive bastards drinking.... hurricanes :qq:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I am a gangster from America.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I have no doubt that mainstream media will produce at least a couple gems in the form of opinion pieces by people who have now seen a total of 1 minute 4 seconds of MMA. I really can't wait until we find the best one.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Boregasm posted:

Since CTC closed in 2010, it's been hard to get good training in Austin outside of like 2 places. Tucker Max has still managed to train with Kamal and Huerta, whom I still can't locate by gym, and Yves and Kennedy (former CTC members) despite him being in the city a scant few years. I'm guessing he just read up a roster of fighters that local gyms claimed and stamped his name along side it.

Last I heard Huerta and Kamal were training with Phil Cardella at Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. That was a couple years ago, though.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I know some people like this who really do hate UFC ever since they mandated gloves, rules, and rounds. It kind of bugs me. Who honestly complains that they are seeing people not beat themselves into mental deficiency? These are also the people who prefer boxing because they do not have flash KOs.

It's not like the general brain beatings have gotten any less severe. There's no eye gouging or ball punching. I guess you could argue that lack of knees/kicks on the ground and back of the head strikes took some of the brutality out, but it's still pretty loving raw. More importantly, the fighters are about a million times better. Anyone in the UFC at any weight class in 2012 could easily make Tank Abbot in his prime look like a big sissy baby under any historical MMA ruleset.

edit: maybe not leonard garcia, who fights a lot like a tiny tank abbott.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
i also like the game reviewer's complaint that more fighters started focusing on grappling rather than standup after watching grapplers destroy strikers practically every time they were matched up in the early UFC's

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Matt Hughes put loving Ricardo Almeida to sleep using a fancy headlock.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Came across a great piece of journalism on Bleacher Report.

quote:

The champ imposed his will as predicted and, as he expected, Mir gave up, just as he has in the past when the going gets rough.

Each of Frank Mir's six career losses has come via TKO, but in none of these fights was Mir truly unconscious, down and out.

Losing to heavy-hitters like Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin and Junior dos Santos is nothing to be ashamed of, but the way he lost these fights is, however, despicable.

Does Frank Mir have a suspect chin/heart that causes him to crumble when he gets hit in the face? Yes. But to say he was never out against Carwin is just the height of silliness.

...and that was the second time he got knocked out in that fight.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Bundt Cake posted:

i dont understand where despicableness comes in

quote:

After eating hard shots, Mir will inevitably fall awkwardly to the canvas and either cinch up a submission (as he did against Nogueira) or turtle up until the referee saves him from further damage.

He is not truly hurt in these instances; he just wants to be done.

If you watch the sport enough, you can tell when somebody is legitimately out of it or when somebody is merely quitting on themselves, and Mir falls into the latter category in his TKO defeats.

As I mentioned, getting hit by huge, powerful heavyweights cannot be fun, and I don not necessarily blame him for wanting to GTFO.

I do blame him, however, for trying to dupe us into thinking he is hurt and has nothing left to give in his fights. In this sense, he is robbing us of potential classic fights.

When some of the hardest hitting heavyweights in the world punch Mir in the face, he often falls down, but not because the punches hurt him. A person whose brain was actually scrambled by a punch would never fall to the ground before reverting to grappling instinct. If you watch enough MMA you can totally tell.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

willie_dee posted:

Well you may be interested in a podcast that is in the works to go alongside a certain persons blog.

awww man that's awesome I love podcasts and JT seems really likeable and down to earth on his blog. i would love to hear his candid thoughts on mma and whatever else on a regular basis.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Haha did they pull it down?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

quote:

I tried to not let it get into my head. I was like, 'I'm going to keep walking forward, walking forward, throwing my punches.' Then it got to a point where he was doing it and I was like, 'Screw this. I'm hitting him.'

"Screw this, I'm hitting him" is probably the most dangerous thing you can think when fighting Anderson. His mind control worked perfectly, it just didn't pan out this time.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It may be that the ultimate human fighting machine is Cain-sized, but I don't know how we're ever going to find out unless/until combat sports become the best-paying sport out there. There are opportunities out there for gigantic superathletes that don't involve getting punched in your already-broken nose, and that's pretty much going to be a dealbreaker for most. Hell, even most of the guys who really like fighting would probably leave the sport tomorrow if offered the kind of money that gets thrown around at the upper echelons of the NFL/NBA.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
For the record I wasn't even talking about how "damaging" a career is overall, only how much acute pain/injury a participant is expected to sustain and continue through. In football you're expected to take big hits and probably play through some injuries but nobody expects you to keep playing when your nose is shattered and you're aspirating blood. What might be going on with your brain after years of participation is kind of a different issue than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

I feel like I see guys suffer a concussion and continue getting beat on all the time in MMA. I mean as a Frankie Edgar fan can you really deny it? Maybe they don't go fully out but I think plenty of fights go on well after the guy would be wrestling the ref if he stepped in.

I mean if we're just talking about guys who are out cold I don't know that boxing is too much worse. A boxing ref is generally going wave off a fight where a guy is out like a light without doing any kind of count. I also don't think it's uncommon in boxing for the fight to be stopped just because one fighter looks badly outclassed and the ref doesn't see any point in letting a one-sided beatdown continue, even though they're clearly awake and fighting back.

• Locked thread