Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

veekie posted:

Don't forget the potential for there to be a Chaos Cultist somewhere in your clan. That could gently caress things up pretty good, especially if they happen to be your Dude In Charge Of Magic Stuff.

I could swear this happened to me once. I started with this guy. He was an Elmali. Excellent combat, and RENOWNED magic. All kinds of bad chaos poo poo kept happening that I can't remember because it was ages ago, including him giving bad advice on one or two chaos related events. It all culminated when I sent him on Elmal Guards the Stead...which he performed flawlessly until the Teller of Lies showed up, where he pretty much immediately declared himself king despite what I chose. I like to imagine he's somewhere on the God-Plane even now, plotting horrible things.

I could also have just been my imagination though, since it's hard to imagine an Elmali secret-chaos-cultist. Great cover though, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Mystic Mongol posted:

while tricksters mostly poop in places poop does not go.

They also drool upon women in a manner in which they do not like being drooled upon.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm 20 years in my latest game and never before have I failed so many heroquests. Out of like 5 of them, I've succeeded at one. Despite having tons of magic in reserve, dedicating magic to quests, and doing ones that I have the details AND secrets of. The lack of a trickster is hurting pretty bad I suppose. Also I keep getting hit with droughts because of that dick Daga, so while my reputation is great, I have no way of forming a tribe because I have no gifts to give.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I just wish they'd add the new events to the PC version somehow.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Haifisch: I've got a clan leader right now that's mediocre except for a pretty good bargaining stat and I think it's actually being put to use. I'm doing surprisingly well at resolving events in terms of "Convince them that they're wrong" than I've done in the past, which compensates for a lot of his other issues. But maybe it's just luck and my imagination.

Which is something I love about this game. They put so much behind the curtain. It's done masterfully and really aids your immersion. I'm sure the stuff going on under the hood isn't nearly as complex as it seems, but it really forces the player to weave stories from the events that simply may not even be there.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's not piracy. It's a licensing raid.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Penguingo posted:

She got a terrible curse-sickness and with her last breath asked us to recite some poem to nearby clans so that her kids wouldn't get the same curse. Disregarding the fact that an eighteen year old Vingan probably has less kids than most Humatki, I went ahead and spread her poem about.

I got this very same event with an Ernalda worshiper, but I didn't get any magic out of it. The poem just impressed the poo poo out of the other clans.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd kill kittens for a game just like it but set in the old, crazy version of the Elder Scrolls setting.

I want a netch farm, drat it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
My last Elmali ring member left with the Teller of Lies to become King of Chaos and that's left me very paranoid. It doesn't help that people without heads keep showing up on neighboring clans' tulas.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah. How much land you can handle and what your cows need to graze on seem a bit iffy. It's like you need a renowned or above animal or plants guy to get a remotely accurate estimate.

Also: I thought you could form a tribe as soon as you did the making of the Storm Tribe hero quest? It's been over a year since I completed it and I haven't heard anything about it. I've also honored my main God with his hero quest, so that's not it. It's not because I sent an Elmali (my awesome clan chief with dragon newt armor and renowned leadership) to do it, is it?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Vaga42Bond posted:

Is your reputation maxed out?

I didn't know that was a requirement. I just got an omen for good hero questing and went ahead for the tribe making quest. I hope it lasts. I don't want to have to do it again. My leader is getting old.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well getting my reputation maxed worked. Although somehow it's super low on the tribal scale now.

And there's still so much loving chaos. I've had two vampire attacks. I'm actually tempted to do a hero quest for the anti-chaos blessing instead of something more practical. It just keeps happening.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I had no idea Snakepipe Hollow could weaken chaos. But then, I never got the point of it in the first place. The only thing interesting that's ever happened to me with that is encountering some weird guy with a hand for a head.

Does the Stinking Forest have a purpose too?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Your duty is clear. You must do a speed run wherein you become King of Dragon Pass by 1350.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't believe there are still events I haven't seen.

Also I can't remember: After doing seven post-tribe hero quests, do I have to go ahead and do Making of the Storm Tribe, or does the end game just start to proceed on its own?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Welp, the endgame triggered, and one of the warring tribes just snorted when I proposed building a town. I guess that's that. You pretty much have to savescum for the endgame, don't you?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Can you keep trying with some of the other checkpoints like the Telmori wolfmen? This is the farthest I've ever gotten and I want to see the end.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is it possible the game just stops counting weapon thanes over a certain number?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
AI clans can actually do heroquests or possess the Raven Banner? I mean I know the Raven Banner works that way. I used it to beat a raid from the entire Colymar Tribe when I refused to pay tribute. I just didn't think the AI could do the same thing.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I didn't get the idea they were even tactically articulated. There are horseman and infantry but don't they just attack in a mob rather than having distinct units? Not a lot of formations or anything.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

veekie posted:

Really, as I understand it, the key part of the fight is when one side goes "gently caress this, I'm going home". Which may or may not relate to injury levels.
This is pretty much the case with most pre-modern battles so it makes sense.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Holy crap. I did it. I beat the ducks! The very first attack drove them from their land entirely. I have something insane like 200 wild lands and 150 pasture now. I'm gonna get the gently caress raided out of me, but I didn't even realize this was possible so it's worth it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ironhoof is a myth perpetuated by Issarite bankers to better control the barley industry.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've had incredibly good luck this game. I was even afraid I'd left it on easy for awhile. I'm sure nothing will happen.

Also is it just me or do Elmali clans capture horses in raids a lot more often than clans with Orlanth as their primary god?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I hosed with the ducks and twenty years later they haven't hosed me back.

Might be because I chose to help them with Delecti. Marsh Duck shows up as neutral to me now.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Goddammit Kallyr, you're supposed to be a badass. Stop letting the Dark Woman gently caress you up in Orlanth and Aroka. This is the third time in a row.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there ay benefit to knowing the secrets of myths not involved in hero questing? Every once in awhile a clan gives you something like the Sword Story and so forth instead of a hero quest myth.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So what's the deal with that one clan that worships Argan Argar? Because looking him up, he's a Troll God.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So they're some kinda weird troll-loving clan? If there's a Dragon Pass 2 at some point, I want to be that clan.

In fact, I want more clan creation options in general, and a bit more feedback in game than just magic bonuses or penalties for your actions. Why can't I be that clan with a holy site to Flamal that has to deal with elves wanting to come worship? Why is it that the only Elmal clan in Dragon Pass that suffers problems from being Elmali is the NPC one?

I also want more to do once you become a tribe. I once had a tribe with guys that were known for their hatred of beastmen in it, and to get them in I had to put it in the King's vows that we'd make war on the Beastmen every so often. Imagine my surprise when the game actually remembered that, and I got it is a tribal warfare event. More stuff like that would be nice.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've tried hard difficulty and I have to say I don't like it at all. It seems like there's just no way to succeed. 3/4ths of everything you do just automatically fails. I was hoping to try it because the difficulty curve is wonky and though that might fix it. I get bored in the mid to late game when I'm sitting on 900 goods.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm the same way. Especially about sending initiates of the wrong God on a hero quest. I only do that if there's no other way to advance.

Maybe I'll give hard another try...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've noticed something playing on hard. That one clan with a history of mad chieftains? They actually act mad. Their chief showed up on my tula claiming that he saw us in dreams every night and was sick of us. He then proceeded to declare a feud and raid us...in Earth season.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Right, I've tried like four times to play on hard and I just can't do it. I always ALWAYS enter a failure spiral by the fifth year with less than six hundred cows, no horses, and no goods to trade with, sacrifice, or end my feuds (three, on average). What am I missing?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The guy does that on all difficulties. He's just as likely to come screaming into your market and declare that he's established a trade route now.

I guess he's just more likely to do it on hard? Because I've seen it twice now, and never before.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tulip posted:

<600 cows is totally recoverable, but no horses is seriously bad news. I don't know much about how you're playing - are you raiding too much? Do you have a trickster giving away your cows? Did you take "as much land as possible" and then fire all your hunters? Are you generally focusing on long-term over short-term?

How much raiding is too much? I'll go a whole year without raiding at times. It's just that I'm raided 2-3 times every season that it's possible. Spending a bunch of my starting goods ending a feud didn't help much, either. That's where the cows are going. The horses are just from constant weapon thane deaths. Maybe I should have gotten the shield blessing...

I took either the first or second option for land, each so that I'd be hard to sneak up on. I've needed every edge in raids. That means not to many hunters though.

As to long term over short term...define what actions apply to each of those? I've mostly been consumed with trying to get enough goods to sacrifice for mysteries...but I can almost never get anyone to establish a rout with me, and raiders keep taking my goods.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
My king was taken as a thrall by horse spawn and they had an election even if you go and rescue him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Does that guy ever manage to pull it off?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dauntasa posted:

It's the name given to all of Orlanth's thanes. The only ones who really come up in this game are Elmal and Vinga I think.

How could you forget Vadrus, chief of the Hurt Everything Clan?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So it's basically just "no retcons allowed" then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Do questors have issues if they're not the same gender as their God or something? Because that seems like it could be an issue with Chalana Arroy worshipers.

• Locked thread