Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A jargogle posted:

So my Mother has taken to roasting chickens (Which I like), boiling up the carcasses for stock (Which I am in favour of) and making homogenised vegetable soups from them (Which I have grown quite tired of). Bearing in mind that my family have boring tastes, what would be a good way to make use of this stock that is not potatoes/carrots/onions blended in the stock?

I make a sorta half-rear end risotto with old veggie and / or chicken stock. Usually I just saute up some onions and celery, then mushrooms and garlic. At the same time bring some rice to boil in your stock, then combine the veggies and let finish cooking down until desired dryness. Add in a little cream and some parmesan, top with any other herbs you might have, usually I will add in a little oregano or rosemary.

It makes a decent cheap side dish that isn't homogeneous vegetable soup x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dakana posted:

re: cleaning

What's the best way to periodically sanitize your kitchen surfaces? After working with meat I'll usually hit the counter surfaces with Clorox wipes since my girlfriend had a shitload of them left after her last job. It seems like a lot of waste, though.

Would mixing up some bleach water, spraying everything down, and then wiping it all down with a clean towel leave me with a sanitized, safe-to-eat-off-of surface? (edit: I'm also reading that it might even be fine to just spray everything down and let it air-dry?) Is there a baller household cleaner I should know about and use instead?

Bleach water is best, use 5% bleach. You can really just clean with soap and water after most usage and use the bleach when you're particularly worried or spilled a lot of raw meat stuff about.

You can just let it air dry too but might be best to give it a once over just with water after and then dry if food is going to touch the surface soon after. There's other good cleaners but this is cheap and works fine. I'm a microbiologist for a living so this is something I am least useful for with advice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

Yeh, most people don't realize that air dry is really Ok if there's a while between food applications; pathogens can't live on cold, hard surfaces.

Also, I was under the impression those Clorox wipes were part bleach too? Is there any reason to ever NOT use one?

Clorox wipes are fine for using, they just cost more in the end than making your own 5% bleach solution.

As for air dry I meant letting the bleach spray / wipedown air dry as opposed to rinsing it soon after.

If you weren't going to use food on that surface right away again, you can just bleach and wipe. If you're going to use food again there that day, bleach, wipe, rinse with water, wipe, dry.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

Only non-alcoholic wine in this one, I'm afraid. :smith:

My husband is experimenting with some primitive homebrew efforts. He's already made a passable hard cider. Sadly the only yeast you can buy here is bread yeast, but we brought some champagne yeast and a bubbler over with us and nobody raised an eyebrow. I bought a kilo of lime blossom honey yesterday to make mead, I just need to find a good container for it.

So many different varieties of honey, by the way. The honey section is easily twice the size of the jams and jellies section at every store we've visited.

Can you get an unfiltered beer like Coopers or something? You can grow out a yeast cake from one of those easily enough.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mofette posted:

I have 'accidentally' bought 2.5 kilograms of salami. I'm going to freeze a lot, but anyone got any recipes? WTF was I thinking?!

Edit: it's a solid sausage, the size of a forearm!

5 lbs of crackers.

Or, maybe get some other meats and go nuts with a few of these excellent things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffuletta

Recipe here:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/07/17/muffuletta-sandwich-recipe/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ShadyNasty posted:

I have no oven, which is the problem here. If I did, I'd probably be cooking the salmon in there with a glaze as well.

Certainly white wine seems more standard with salmon, but reading around, Pinot Noir seems to also be recommended because it's not too full-on as far as reds go. I've never tried the combination myself (I'm generally not a huge wine drinker anyway).

Bake the potatoes in a microwave, mash them and whip in some butter / sauteed garlic and any herbs / seasonings. Shape this into small pancakes and just brown each side in your skillet maybe?

I've done this before and had corned beef over it along with either spinach or asparagus and a hollandaise sauce.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

Here's an odd question for you guys. I'm going to camp for 2 weeks in the stupid dead heat of August with about 9 other people. I am in charge of most meals. I need stuff that can hold up in the weather without refrigeration or minimum refrigeration.

I won't be cooking every meal for everyone, there's no schedule or anything like that, but I need to be prepared for a bunch of probably very hungry adults at times.

Also, it's going to be outside, so bugs may be a concern, so it really should be able to survive in a cooler or sealed container. Space is no concern and my primary cooking surface will be portable gas grills and stoves, though I will have a fire and spit.

Ice is available but the less refrigerated things I have to deal with the better, because it involves carrying the bags or blocks nearly 2 miles.

I know from experience that potatoes and onions hold up pretty well, so those will probably be a mainstay.

Eggs, canned corned beef (both will work with the potatoes and onins nicely). Lots of oatmeal, honey. Dried salami / other charcuterie etc that you can throw in with beans or eggs. Rice is good too to make up and add to some canned items.

ShadyNasty posted:

This sounds great - think I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Glad to help. Let me know how it goes! You could probably melt some cheese into those too now that I think about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

As for a (vague) question of my own:

Lately I've been in the habit of cooking up lunches on Sunday for the entire week. I like to make things that are protein heavy, but also have a lot of straight vegetables and/or complex carbs in it. If I just make lots of carbs I get really sleepy and if I go with just straight protein it's usually an issue of cost. The idea here is to make stuff on sunday that will play nice with tupperware that I can plate out that night for the next 5 days.

I've started to exhaust my current recipe rotation which has been:

Crockpot cheap pork roast or tenderloin (or kielbasa) with cabbage and mirepoix vegetables.
Crockpot chicken with mirepoix and collard greens or kale
cheap cuts of beef or pork with baked sweet potatoes and collard greens

Occasionally I'll make a big pot of chicken and sausage jambalaya, redbeans and rice with a ham hock, or roast beef and potatoes but I'm trying to stay away from rice, pasta and potatoes as a major part of the diet. My gf eats mostly paleo and it has influenced me to lean more in that direction dietwise.

So, any nice bulk size recipes that you guys make on the cheap that come to mind?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

They sound really nice, would it work with boiled potatoes as well maybe? I don't have a microwave and I'm too lazy to bake potatoes in the oven :shobon:

Yes I think so. I don't recall where I saw them first, possibly just came across them in a restaurant. Essentially you just make a fairly thick bowl of mashed potatoes, putting in whatever sauteed vegetable / herb / butter / cheese you wish. Then you just flatten that out and cook them until they brown on each side. All you're getting is that nice browned flavor of the potatoes that you'd probably be shooting for with some sort of oven bake of them.

I've made it once or twice and used them as a bed of starches in lieu of pasta or polenta when I didn't have any laying around. Just about any kind of meat with a nice potent sauce will stack up good with it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

Cool! Last time I made potato cakes they were a disaster, too much flour made them taste like weird, chewy, cheese and potato pancakes. Hopefully these will turn out better!

As for your question, have you considered making things like Jambalaya or maybe some type of Paella/Risotto using Spelt instead of rice?

Interesting. I've never even thought about using spelt in place of rice. Any tips for that? I'll try to read up on it in the meantime. Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

Not really. I've only done it once when making a risotto, and the recipe was exactly the same apart from pre-soaking the spelt for a while before using it. I couldn't tell it from normal rice in the end, though the risotto was pretty rich and goopy.

More than half of my risotto's end up like that anyway so I should be good! Gonna look for some next trip to market.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Essentially a cake, so probably hosed. So yeah, I'm thinking I may have to improvise and find smaller pans and just make multiple batches instead of just the single jelly-roll pan batch.

I did this once before and it came out really good:
http://passthesushi.com/peanut-butter-kandy-kakes-from-childhood-memories/

And my cooking experience level is essentially at the point where I'm not afraid to follow a recipe, but if I alter it in anyway, I think I'm going to end up with a charred mess. :ohdear:

But looking it over more closely, it's pretty much a generic cake base. If I use a brownie pan or something, I'll probably be fine as long as I pay attention that'll probably not take 25 minutes. I just wasn't sure if I could get away with the single giant jelly-roll pan batch.

Maybe fashion a thick aluminum foil gasket around the open area? It will still have the problem others have mentioned, but maybe not as badly? Be careful of fire hazards here though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ShadyNasty posted:

Got that meal coming up tomorrow. I'm cooking at my girl's place and I'd like to prep a few things here earlier on in the day to make the process smoother over there. Cooking the sauce/glaze is the main time-waster so ideally I'd like to do that before.

It's the one from this recipe: maple syrup, whiskey and orange zest/juice. Do you think if I make this in advance, let it cool and bring it in a small container, that it'll go back to normal with a little heat? It's not going to do anything weird when I warm it a second time, right?

There's no emulsion or anything that's gonna break down with that sauce so that should probably work. I'd be careful to use only just enough heat to bring it to whatever consistency / temp you want though as a lot of the flavors in the sauce are pretty volatile and if you brought it up to a boil or anything they would cook off.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I've been using a Dutch oven along those lines as well

You do the 2nd rise and the baking in the dutch oven? Any changes you have to make for cooking temp / time?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Naw, just baking. I preheat the Dutch oven to 500, plop in the dough, cover and bake 30 mins at 500, 15 mins at 450

I must be messing up somewhere. If I moved my dough much on a second rise it would just deflate

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

C-Euro posted:

In an effort to not be so hungry at work in the mornings I've started getting into making eggs for breakfast. Any of you goons have a favorite way of doing eggs in the morning? All I can really think of is scrambling them mixed with some Sriacha and shredded cheese, I had a couple of slightly-stale tortillas laying around too so I've tried making some sort of really bare-bones breakfast burrito with those, to mixed success (mostly due to stiff tortillas). I'm more interested in various ways to season or flavor said eggs, I could obviously just throw some chopped veggies in when I make them for a bigger meal.

Almost every morning my breakfast has been 2 eggs fried, sunny side up with the yolks runny and half of a baked sweet potato. Decent complex carbs and protein, mix the runny yolks into the sweet potato. Cooks up in the time it takes me to make my coffee for the day and is cheap as hell.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ShadyNasty posted:

Pan-fried maple whiskey salmon over fried potato patty, served with sautéed mushrooms and spinach with garlic and balsamic vinegar.

What a loving winner that was. Everything went down very well with the other half (the potato got special mention actually, so thanks for the recommendation!). Plates up beautifully and a nice Pinot Noir went great with it too.

10/10 would make again.

!! Awesome. Glad the potato patty worked out well given your oven restriction.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Seconding eating them raw.

If you must grill them, I've had them on the halfshell with a dollop of thyme butter on the oyster in the shell then cover that with chopped garlic and shredded parmesan. Bake that in a grill with a good bit of hickory / pecan smoke until the cheese is melted over well. Put a dash of tabasco on that before eating.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Big Centipede posted:

I only recently started eating oysters. I ate a raw one a long time ago and didn't like it. I'm planning on eating at least one raw this weekend just to give it another shot.

And please do make an oyster thread.

Cooked oysters can be delicious also. I will definitely say that raw oysters probably aren't for everyone. There's a consistency to them that will probably put off a certain amount of people no matter what the flavor.

To me, if you don't like them in a fried oyster po-boy at the least, then you probably won't like them in much of anything.

This recipe is something I've used before a few times and was always a hit:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/12/09/oysters-bienville-recipe/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I enjoy using my enamel coated iron dutch oven, I'd recommend having one of those in addition to a cast iron skillet. Cooks evenly, has lots of uses and cleans up easily as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

it's salt...I'm not sure that it matters. Wouldn't want to change the texture of...rock.

fake edit: I guess hot smoke has a lot of steam in it, so yeah cold smoke best. Cold smoke rigs are the easiest to make though.

You could probably move it to a dry oven after for a few and bake off any moisture? No clue how that would affect the flavor though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Anyone got a gluten-free coating for frying fish?

I've always just gone with cornmeal / a little flour but want to make some for a person with a gluten allergy.

I've tried coconut flour and it browns too quickly and darkly giving it a slight burnt flavor even if the oil was a little colder than I'd have liked.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

tapioca flour makes a really crisp coating for delicate meats like fish.

Excellent, thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

I have a recipe for beef stew. It sounds pretty awesome but it has to sit in the oven for two hours at 275 degrees. I'm very busy and important (:v:) so it'd be tough for me to find a whole two hours BEFORE dinner. Would it be OK to break up that cooking time? Say, if I got home, threw it in the oven for an hour, turned it off for an hour because I had class or something, then came back and cooked it for the other hour when I got back? I know that this would probably not work for baking but for meat would it be OK?

ANy reason you can't cook this in the days before and just refrigerate until you want it for dinner?

Also, check the pressure cooker thread. I don't personally know how that might speed up beef stew but it seems to work for other things. They would know.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

If they don't smell, it's really OK. If they do smell foul then toss 'em.

Along these lines though, I found some breasts I forgot I had marinating last week. They don't smell bad but I'm worried the marinade is overpowering any smell. For reference a few days ago I had to throw out a few pieces that were not marinading from the same date and they smelled rancid as hell.

So uh, chances my marinade sort of put off spoilage? It was just garlic ginger brown sugar soy sauce.

If it was a heavy vinegar marinade, maybe. Otherwise I'd just toss them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Is chicken breast over there cheaper than thighs or something? They cost more here.
If they didn't cost less there, then why was that the meat you chose?
Boneless breasts here are normally $15/kg (but sometimes on sale for $10/kg)
Boneless thighs are normally $12 (but sometimes on sale for $8-9kg)
So sometimes breasts are cheaper if they are the ones on sale and thighs are regular price. But both at regular price, or both on special, thighs are cheaper.

They cost more here too however "Fat Free!!" has permeated into every possible area and people think that boneless skinless chicken breasts are far better for you than dark meat because of the lower fat content.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

BSCB are good for lean protein, like if you want a meal before a big workout. I think that's where the appeal came from, people associate them with healthy lifestyles. They're eaten for nutritional (not culinary) reasons.

Yeah. My girlfriend still uses them for post-workout meals. I guess I didn't see why cooking down thighs (with the skin / bigger bits of fat removed) on a grill and letting the fat separate out was much different? To me it's far more flavorful and at least half the cost.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I've only used tamarind along with fish sauce when making pad thai. I should branch out more as I've got a whole box full of tamarind beans still.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I am back on the diet/exercise. I actually really enjoy chicken breasts anyway, so having them as my main source of protein doesn't bother me. Even less so now that I have discovered the joy that is chipotle paste. I just put 2 bigass cans of chipotles in adobo in the blender until it was smooth. It has the consistency of soft serve ice cream. I salt/pepper a split breast, toss it on the stove at med/high until both sides are nicely browned, then a add a dollop of chipotle onto each side of each breast, kick the burner to high and give both sides just long enough to brown the chipotle a little and then toss it on a warm plate in a warm oven to rest.

The whole process takes less than 15 minutes, and tastes absolutely awesome.

Now, my question. How fridge-stable would pure, blended chipotles be? I can obviously freeze a portion of it, but wanted to know how long it would last in the fridge, and if there was anything easy that I could do/add to increase its longevity.

Ive put half used can contents from these in a small Tupperware in the fridge and used them for well over six weeks

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cuddlebottom posted:

I bought a pound of beef liver. I've never cooked this stuff before - or eaten it. What's the most basic way to cook it, and to what temperature?

I've made something like this before many times:

http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipes/cajun/liver-with-onion-gravy/720.rcr

Use the gravy over rice and serve with a side of something green like collard greens, green beans or peas. That's just one recipe, just google around for liver and onions, it's a million slight variations on the same thing but all pretty good and end with the same product, browned strips of liver and sauteed onions and a gravy made from the flour coating + drippings + stock added to deglaze.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Vlex posted:

I'm moving houses at the end of the month, so trying to clear out my pantry.

I like making tortillas, but I already used up my supply of white flour. Is it possible to make something vaguely tortilla-like using polenta? Yes, I realize this sounds retarded, but I cannot be bothered with buying and using up another bag of flour before I leave.

I've had a sort of fried grit appetizer before that might work. Nowhere near as thin or flexible as a tortilla, but it would provide a solid starch base to layer other ingredients onto.

Basically make polenta in a somewhat soft/ runny state, pan fry large spoonfuls of this in butter until the bottom crisps, remove and use as desired.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

As a side I usually just cook em stove top and finish with something sticky. Usually a little local honey.

I made a big pot of red beans and sausage last night for red beans and rice. I didn't season it enough before hand so I had to up the seasoning after adding the water. Problem is that the beans were getting really soft so I couldn't boil it all for much too longer.

And basically now it's spiced okay but I can taste the "raw"ness of the spices.

Anything at all I can do?

Cure it in the fridge overnight and taste some tomorrow. I bet that fixes it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

yeah that's one of those dishes that I think is better overnight in the fridge.

Related, but I'm making a pot this weekend... I remembered it being talked about in here, but a couple people use pickled ham in this right?? What do you do with it? Like you don't brown it right just toss it in at some point?

I've only used smoked ham hock, salt pork or sausage when I bother adding meat to my red beans.

This is just a guess, hopefully someone else can fill in but I'd imagine for a pickled ham maybe put 3/4 of the ham in while it slow cooks and mince up / brown 1/4 of it and throw in during the last hour or less of cooking. You'll get a good browned flavor from the ham but I get the feeling that if you threw it in at the beginning it would get overwhelmed and the flavor would be pretty subdued.

Scott Bakula posted:

I finally got around to buying some oxtail and I'm going to go with soup for something hard to gently caress up. There is hardly any meat on them though. Is getting pretty much no meat and all fat and bone common? Not that I'm complaining too much but I've seen some photos here that have way more meat

I'm curious about this as well. Everytime I see oxtails on sale they are maybe less than 5-10% meat. I still use them occasionally in slow cooked stews etc to give me a good velvety texture, but I've found that switching over to a pigs foot works even better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I wouldn't mind one either. The only stuff I know how to make is pretty full on Tex-Mex only. I could contribute in that fashion I guess, but I know there's a hell of a lot more interesting interior mexican food I'm missing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Anyone got a good website or cookbook recommendation for Portuguese and / or Brazilian dishes?

The part of town I live in is almost entirely Brazilian, Portuguese or Canary Islanders and my local grocery stocks unusually large amounts of cheap small sardines, small king mackerels, whole squid etc so I figure those have to be getting cooked often into something good. At any given day there's probably twice as much of those as there are Tuna, Cod, Salmon, etc.

The grocery (Market Basket in Somerville, MA) stocks a ton of other ingredients like cheeses, etc that I have no idea what to do with nor have heard of before and might as well start learning.

(Edit: ^^^^ Dude if you have a pork belly look at the charcuterie thread in here and make some homemade bacon).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Allahu Snackbar posted:

The Food of Portugal

Sorry I forgot to reply to this, but this is the book I use for Portugese. It's pretty in-depth and has a lot of good recipes.

Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

At a banquet being served buffet style, where it's sharing main course duties with tamales (and it's ostensibly going into tortillas), how much meat should be planned per person? 1/4 pound?

That sounds about right actually. You'll be adding lots of other stuff in the tortillas I assume and people will realistically only have 2-3 max with most having only 1-2 of them along with the tamales.

I'm making breakfast tacos up right now for a brunch bbq so just kinda was doing the same math.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

So I put some meat in a slow cooker last night to do its thing. I was dumb and forgot to remove it before leaving for work today. By my estimates it's been in complete Off mode (Warm turns to Off after 4 hours) for about 4 hours.

If I eat this will I die? Interesting part about that: it hasn't been exposed to much ambient air after being above the safe range for 8 hours. Would bacteria really find its way there so quickly?

You'll be fine.

Fake-edit: I am a microbiologist.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ron Don Volante posted:

I'd be down for some sort of vaguely Indian dish. I've got ground/whole cumin and coriander, turmeric, curry powder, and a couple other Indian-ish spices.

Could I just saute an onion, add the beans, add the tomato juice and spices and boil it for a little bit?

That would be great. Also sriracha is wonderful with black beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tarepanda posted:

My boss got a smoker and is encouraging me to use it for anything as long as I do a hot smoke that doesn't last a long time.

What should I do?

If you have access to it for overnight, smoke some turkeys with hickory or pecan wood. Best Turkey ever.

If you have it for 8-10h you can do a brisket or thick cut sirloins or chicken leg quarters etc. In fact the sirloins and leg quarters can probably be done closer to 4-6h.