Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Salt + pepper + olive oil roasting vegetables is 100% the best way to go most of the time, but your instinct is right. Zucchini needs to be either seared quickly, grated salted and drained, or not heated at all.

My wife remembered this fantastic recipe we've done. Salting + drying is important for zucchini or cucumber that make it into pasta.

http://www.weeklygreens.com/?recipe=summer-squash-linguine
(note: we cooked the original from the cookbook, this claims to be adapted so might be slightly different)

For a salad - type dish, we liked this: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/shaved-zucchini-salad-with-parmesan-and-pine-nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Q8ee posted:

thanks so much! what other vegetables are great with just salt, pepper and olive oil? I'm trying to increase dietary fibre and get more vegetables in my diet as I've lately been feeling so lethargic due to eating badly.

the zucchini salad looks delicious, I'm definitely going to try that out. I'll also cut the zucchini into discs and pan fry them real fast to eat as well.

Almost anything :)

Broccoli (bite sized florets, peel the tough bits off the stalks and do them too),
Brussels sprouts,
potatoes 1" cubed,
butternut squash / pumpkin 1" cubed or smaller,
cabbage large wedges,
asparagus (though pan frying is easier),
kale + soy sauce + toasted sesame oil + either shallots or thinly sliced red onion to go over rice/farro,
okra halved lengthwise (roasting avoids sliminess)
Beets (wrap in foil so they steam, easy to peel afterwards)

The goal with all of these except the beets is to develop a bit of color, since by then A) some of the starches have become yummy caramelized sugars and B) the maillard reactions have made more good flavors. Silpats aren't required unless you like cleaning them and want to avoid parchment or foil waste.

My wife says you def can roast zucchini, like in this recipe:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cheesy-zucchini-eggplant-bake (we haven't made, we want to, but the technique looks solid)

Also if you have a spiralizer or a julienne peeler:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/brown-butter-summer-squash-linguine=
(worked great for us)

And three absolute favorites:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/09/squash-cobbler-sweet-potato-breadsticks-recipe-claire-ptak-baking-the-seasons
(the "cavolo nero" means lacinato, or dinosaur, kale)

https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/10/squash-toasts-with-ricotta-and-cider-vinegar/

(more complex)
http://www.spoonforkbacon.com/2015/07/summer-gnocchi/

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Were they fresh and refrigerated or were they dried and shelf stable? We've never had a problem with fresh. Fresh dumpling, potsticker, or even egg roll wrappers are better than any dried imo

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there such a thing as a decent cheap electric flour mill? And how hard is rice flour to make with one (or a manual one if those are the only good cheap ones)? Rice flour is $3-4 a pound, and rice is $.50 per pound.

I've ground the poo poo out of dry rice in a vitamix and it works great... when you don't *really* need rice flour :v:

That is to say, for a thickener on soup, you'll be fine. For anything more important than that, no dice.

If you do go this route (why? Didn't you read what I just said?) you must do it in batches and make sure the blade isn't heating up too much, or you'll get gummy rice paste.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My wife reads the preambles. They are sometimes like morning talk radio shows, talking about current events and trends :shrug:

I read preambles when the author did some testing and came up with reasons to use X instead of Y.

eonwe posted:

do you all have any sites for recipes for pressure cookers that aren't 100 pages of MY HUSBAND LOVES THIS RECIPE

No, but I can vouch for ATK Pressure Cooker Perfection.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jyrraeth posted:

Does anyone keep a list of wishlist recipes? Where you don't really want to make one anytime soon, but eventually? I'm trying to think of a way to actually make the recipes from all the youtube channels I watch, instead of just making something plain and simple every week because I forgot to pick up cumin or something.

Also I want to start working though Ottolenghi's Plenty More that I found for free in my apartment, but I keep forgetting to... just look at it before going to the grocery store.

I use a google doc but you could also use EYB bookmarks so they're searchable by ingredient

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bob Morales posted:

What's the weight limit of most oven racks? I have two dutch ovens in there right now, and it's bending a bit. Worried about hearing 'ca-chunk clunk sploosh' and then a pot of chili and a pot of pulled pork burning all over.

1. Double up both the wire racks. I can get both mine in there if I'm careful.

2. Keep the Dutch oven near the sides, not near the center.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mordiceius posted:

Trying to plan breakfast meals are loving hard when you can't eat eggs.

My wife is trying to find a nice meal that is easy to prep before hand for breakfasts. She's looking for something high protein, low carbs, low sugar, and with no eggs. Sweet things make her gag in the mornings, and all the other stuff we've thought of takes time to make in the mornings. So we're trying to figure out something that would be easy to prep either the night before or on the weekends. Any suggestions?

Tofu scrambles are the tits if you season them well. Not 0 carbs but decently low. Flexible as all get-out too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Trader Joes has a 1 lb bar for less than $5 iirc. They keep it above the frozen foods in my location. It's what I use when I don't want to pay Ghirardelli prices, and it tastes great.

e;fb

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Are you using mini marshmallows or large? Big box brand or ~bespoke 2 ingredient~?

Big box brand mini marshmallows are your best bet. Mini have more cornstarch coating per unit volume and big box brand has more stabilizers, so if anything will stay whole it's those ones.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

goodness posted:

What to do with 20 leftover Jalapenos?

Pickle some, and hot sauce some?

Overall in your position I'd probably agree to do pickled (fermented not vinegar), then hot sauce (I've got a nice Bon Appetit one), but if you already have those on hand I'd jelly.

Jalapeño jelly is stupid simple, quick, and the quality is on a different plane from store bought. Eat it simply on a pork / lamb chop or alongside crackers and cream cheese. Replace some of the sweet component of margaritas (traditionally triplesec but commonly sour mix or agave nectar).

I've got mom's recipe in a binder if you want me to get it after work today.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

goodness posted:

I would appreciate that recipe, thanks.

I’ve only pickled not fermented so I will have to try that as well

The "note above" about pepper safety:

I also use disposable gloves.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Shepard's pie, pot pie, fritatta, hash all come to mind

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Manchego favorites I've cooked: (not my photos)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/crispy-potato-rajas-tacos-recipe-2014882

https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/corn-poblano-quesadillas-with-warm-salsa-verde

Things on my "to try" list:

https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/pimento-cheese-chorizo-mac

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/crunchy-winter-slaw-with-asian-pear-and-manchego

http://www.spoonforkbacon.com/2014/10/pumpkin-manchego-beer-bread/

Based on an EatYourBooks search, it looks like other recipes use it on salads with something sweet like pears or figs, for a mexican-tinted ham & cheese sandwich, or simply on burgers.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

His Divine Shadow posted:

Why does my pie dough always crack and become impossible to roll out? I follow the recipes, I even tried adding more water. What's the reason, still more water? Getting a bit ridiculous I feel. Is there something about the flour? We don't have the same kind of low and high protein flours that you get in america, no such distinction is made afaik. I used what is described as half-coarse flour, I would say it's our all purpose flour. Works great for bread.

I have no problems making pie if I just pour the batch from the food processor into the tray and just hand shape it to the pie bowl. But making rollable dough is another story.

How long are you resting it in the fridge before rolling? Your flour may not have hydrated enough, which is a factor of time as much as added water.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

obi_ant posted:

Am I supposed to scrub potatoes a bit before boiling them?

It's safer to assume that all root vegetables were grown in, and still coated with, intensely fertilized dirt. I scrub them under running water as if they were grown in uncomposted manure, that is, with some intensity. I'm investing 60-90 minutes cooking so a couple minutes prep is worth mitigating the risk of grit or off flavors.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh, then no. The peeler could smear dirt from the outside onto the inside, but a quick rinse would take care of that since it won't have the crags and rough skin to adhere.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Only 110 years old, not-that-ancient Japanese secret :colbert:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: Got takeout Indian tonight and they gave me like 2lbs of plain basmati rice. Anything interesting to do with the leftovers?

Fried rice, but at the end let it sit in the hot pan for like 3 minutes on med-high so it gets a thick crust like paella socarrat or Persian rice :flashfap:

Oh yeah top it with a runny egg

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

I made 4 kinds of tofu. Now I have too much tofu. What should I do with all this tofu.

:randpop:

How firm is it? For silken, I like agedashi, though I've never made it at home. For firm, toss in cornstarch and fry a bit harder, then remove from wok and stir fry veggies. Add sauce and tofu, tossing to combine and rewarm.

If the texture sucks, there's always ma po tofu or making tofu chorizo crumbles. Kenji has a great soyrizo recipe.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Crappy prosciutto can be crisped up like bacon. It's not the same by any means, but you won't have chewy fat. It doesn't take as long though.

Try the room temperature idea first though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

nwin posted:

Can you bloom cayenne to the point where it gets hotter? Just trying to think of what I could have done differently this time where it tasted spicier.

I'd say if you normally bloom it for X minutes and today you bloomed it for X + a small # more minutes, that wouldn't affect it significantly.

Without more details, question #1 is did you open new jar of cayenne? Spices, especially ground, change drastically over their shelf life.

Question #2: did you measure precisely or eyeball it? Q#3: did you enjoy with alcohol, which can increase sensitivity to spiciness? Q#4: could balancing flavors have changed, perhaps due to eyeballing sugar?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I go with a potato:parm:truffle oil ratio of 8:1:0 :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

wormil posted:

I love beets, my family not so much.

Idea 1: love your family more :v:

Idea 2: beet and potato hash is yummy for breakfast, so consider simmering potatoes in a shallow beet juice + water pot*, then making a hash with the parcooked potatoes. Hashes are so much better when you free up the starch in this way, and it's easier to say "sorry fam, I made special breakfast just for me" than the same but for dinner.

* actually, I've started microwaving peeled diced potatoes (cover airtight with cling wrap, 5-8 min on high) and I'll never turn back, so maybe try that.

Idea 3: Google beet juice cocktails. I've had a few out and about but I've never tried any at home.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Q8ee posted:

I stupidly overcooked basmati rice. It has no texture and is practically mush, edible mush. So tonight's curry is a bit lacklustre, should have just cooked it the way I always do instead of trying something new.

My question is: what dishes can I make to best utilize overcooked rice? I'm thinking stir fried dishes will salvage it a little, right? If I fry the rice in a pan and then throw whatever fried rice recipe poo poo I want in after it.

I mean fried rice is better with dry rice than gelled rice. I've done this before and rice pudding wasn't hurrble

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Q8ee posted:

yeah I think I'll just chuck it. I've never been a fan of rice pudding, which sucks, cause I'd have rice pudding for days. I'll make a small batch of fried rice tomorrow and see if it's any good.

it's far too gelatinous and it has basically all melted into one glob of starch, I don't think there's any salvaging to be done. I've got no idea why, I followed a recipe that said 1 cup rice to 2 cups water (I had 2 cups rice, so I used 4 cups of water) and it just screwed up. my mum's knuckle rule works every time, even though someone scienced the poo poo out of it earlier by saying it can't be accurate, since different width / depth pans would give different quantities of water for the same knuckle depth. just some motherly magic, I guess.

YouTube ATK rice science. They did a nice 2-3 min video (someone linked to itt earlier this week?) about ratios of rice to water which was spot on.

The TL;dw is you can't double a rice recipe linearly. The amount of water which evaporates is constant based on the width of your pot, so same pot, double rice needs less than double water. Some amt of water goes into the rice, the rest evaporates. Double the absorbed amt, keep evaporation amt constant.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Two questions:
1 - I have a bunch of chicken broth in my kitchen now, and only a few specific recipes for it. If I wanted to make super easy soup of some sort, what is the best way to prep/use the broth? Everything I've tried googling just brings up how to make the broth.
2 - I picked up some snack-sized seaweed (roasted) the other day. While I like it, it feels like it's missing something. Any suggestions on stuff to pair it with for snacking?

1. Literally any soup recipe, just replace the water/broth in the ingredients and BAM! Upgraded soup. We just did this yesterday with a corn soup - the recipe called for water, we had corn broth. Yum.
2. Is it already seasoned? If not, toss with toasted sesame oil and soy sauce and re-crisp in 400° oven for 5 minutes. You can add other flavors if you'd like, but this would be the most basic I'd do.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DasNeonLicht posted:

you're going to have to go deep on substitutes for bacon and salt pork (surely, vegetarianism 101? garlic and smoked paprika, I'd say)

Mushrooms provide ~meaty umami~ and texture as long as they're not against them in general. Vegetarian Worcestershire, Bragg's liquid amino, vegemite, parmesan (cheese and rind when appropriate), tomato paste, nutritional yeast, MSG, miso paste, and soy sauce are all useful subs when you do dishes that normally get meaty throughout.

My favorite vegetarian freezer meal isn't actually a soup but an empanada. This recipe in particular is insanely good: https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/jamaican-veggie-patties-recipe.html

You can get variety by switching fillings or condiments. Make half per the recipe and serve with chimichurri. Make another half with Tex-Mex fillings and serve with salsa. Make a third half with Indian spiced filling and serve with a chutney or yogurt sauce.

My usual changes to that recipe is to make the dough before the filling (not sure why it's printed the other way) and to add canned beans. Pinto for the base recipe, black beans if I'm going Tex-Mex, etc.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Guys, i'm sick

can I make quesadillas in the oven? I dont trst myself with a frying pan right now

edit: holy god no a cup of cheese?!? https://snapguide.com/guides/make-cheese-quesadillas-in-the-oven/ i'm gonna make mine with some minced preserved red peppers, canned tomato and chilles, monty jack and gouda, and a bun of other stuff in my house I dont have to go to the store for

Black beans are good, but if you're not doing stovetop you can't sauté onions or garlic for them :(

If you have canned Chipotle peppers in particular that's a slam dunk, and can help with your sinuses if they are giving you problems. Chop them up, I do about 1 pepper + 1 tsp sauce per serving but I like spice so maybe start with less.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Can you grind turmeric at home? We have some in the freezer, and it behaves the same as ginger - you can grate it, but it'll always be a wet mince, not a powder.

Just curious based on your "grind" terminology, are there other ways to do turmeric besides grating? Dry the whole root, then grind?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If I'm lazy I'll do 2 more Tbsp of pasta starch water in each serving of leftover, then reheat reaaaally slowly in a microwave, stirring a bunch. Not foolproof but office kitchen friendly.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Q8ee posted:

does the whole toilet experience get better with time? I'm tired of dealing with spicy in, spicy out syndrome. that's the one thing I don't enjoy.
This must be genetic or something. I've never experienced spicy shits, and I've done 3 "wings so hot you need to sign a waiver" challenges, and I once tried spicing up a lame pad Thai with a friend's pepper spray. Not a horrible solution, BTW, if you can apply it very carefully outdoors.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Agreed that dietician / nutritionist is the way to go, though I imagine finding one worth your money might be tough. See if Angie's List or similar sites can help sift through your local options.

Gym personal trainers usually do some basic meal planning, too, though you need to be firm with them about your goals because all they want to push is GAINZ even if you're trying to slim. (Though muscle building is a way to slim down, they may put you on a "gain x lbs each week" plan like they did for me)

For the "how to cook it all" aspect it'd be nice to know your current skill level and the amount of time you're willing to spend cooking. There are different resources for someone who wants to meal prep on Sunday for the whole week vs. cook 30-90 minutes every day, and everything in between.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd expect if you use citrus instead of vinegar, flavors will change dramatically between fresh and day-ahead versions, and for them to have a ~week before tasting flat. For vinegar, go nuts.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

When a recipe says bring to a boil, then simmer, is it saying to turn the heat back up to get the boil, or bringing it to a boil at the current temperature?

Cranking the heat could scorch your food. That's the only consideration, really. If it's thick or has solids resting on the bottom, I'd go gentler heat or make sure I stir frequently.

The other change would be that a recipe that only gives directions using time instead of descriptions (e.g. "simmer 20 minutes" instead of "simmer until reduced by half, about 20 minutes") would be marginally affected by the time it takes to bring to a boil, in which case just follow the directions as well as you can given their ambiguity.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Just made homemade chicken noodle soup for the first time. Turned out tasty, but a bit simple. Suggestions for upping the flavor?

Assuming you've already tried adding a touch of salt:
1. Use homemade broth.
2. Add chopped fresh herbs like parsley
3. Spin it off into a closely related dish, such as pho or pistou
4. Add ~umami bombs~ such as bacon, anchovy, fish sauce, or vegetarian options such as:

BrianBoitano posted:

Mushrooms provide ~meaty umami~ and texture as long as they're not against them in general. Vegetarian Worcestershire, Bragg's liquid amino, vegemite, parmesan (cheese and rind when appropriate), tomato paste, nutritional yeast, MSG, miso paste, and soy sauce are all useful subs when you do dishes that normally get meaty throughout.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"I'm comfortable enough answering that question that I'd bet your child's life on it"
says nobody except a food safety specialist, I'd hope.

I recall many edible raw cookie dough recipes which note you can buy pasteurized eggs in a supermarket, but I've never seen a package of them myself.

I've also read that pasteurized eggs do have a different texture, even if they were done low and slow, but again no personal confirmation of that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean you stand a better chance of dying due to tainted lettuce than salmonella in eggs but a risk being avoidable has a heavy psychological weight.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bagheera posted:

I want to make a strawberry parfait (or trifle, or fool, whatever you call it). I'll bake cakes in individual ramekins. Then I'll top it with strawberry lemon curd (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/preserved-strawberry-lemon-curd-recipe-fresh-lemon-juice.html). I'll top that with almond whipped cream (1 cup heavy cream, 2tbsp powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract). And then finish with sliced strawberries.

What kind of cake would you prefer, and what's a good recipe for baking in a ramekin? On one extreme, there's angel food cake, which might be too fluffy for the parfait. On the other end, there's heavy pound cake. In the middle there's shortcake. I've never baked any of those three. Which would be best, and can you recommend a good recipe?

Sounds delicious. I'd go with shortcake personally but I can't put my finger on why that sounds so much better. Maybe because angel food cake reminds me of diets and pound cake is like inferior tres leches, unless it's lemon pound cake.

Date Night In by Ashley Rodriguez has an amazing shortcake recipe, but it's not available online and I'm comfortable in bed right now. If you'd like I can pull the book tomorrow and send you the recipe!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Matt Zerella posted:

I needed red chilies for a recipe and now I have a bunch of them (supermarket didn't sell single ones) and I don't want to waste them. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe pickle them? I'm doing teriyaki salmon tonight, can I throw some in the marinade?

They're about jalapeño strength, yeah? If so, you can always do poppers with or without bacon.

If they're hotter, I'd pickle them or make hot sauce. Bon Appetit has a great simple recipe!

E: regardless of heat, make jelly and serve with crackers and cream cheese

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I don't have that problem but I've read 20 cooking science articles saying oiling your water helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oil on the pasta itself = bad, makes sauce not stick
Oil not on pasta but just used to break up starch bubbles = sometimes good

The key, as I understand it:
  • Boil water, add salt
  • Add pasta
  • Add ~1 tsp oil
  • Cook without boil overs, yay
  • Pour off top bit of water, including oil
  • Retrieve pasta

The oil does its job of breaking bubbles without ever touching pasta

Again, I don't do this because I don't have boil over problems.

e: vvv oh and also never cook pasta to finished, always finish in your sauce (if it's wet enough :heysexy:)

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 26, 2018