Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can someone tell me what tri-tip would be in teh UK? I see photos and it looks really nice but i've gently caress all idea what it might be sold as here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

guess i'll just email a butcher both images and see what they say

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whats a cheap recipe to use a can of cheap lager in? Its not particularly necessary since i can save it for a work thing later this week but if there is something nice i;d like to cook with it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't think my oven has the vertical space for it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've a bag of about 10 dried carolina reapers that i bought for a bet that was overruled from anyone eating them and now idk what to do with them since they're far hotter than anything i'll like. smelling the bag they're in while closed makes your eyes water

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what country are you in because if its not too expensive and i don't find another use in the next 2 weeks sure

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I live in California

ok so it costs basically gently caress all to send them to you. if i find no other use over the holiday period you can have them but you don't have pms and i don't fancy posting an email address here

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do any UK posters have a good place for buying jerky/biltong? I don't mind making my own but I'm not ready to since moving and i'd like some. I know there is biltong man who is reasonably cheap but the stuff wasn't the best taste wise. Most places i look only sell small packs instead of 500g or whatever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Weirdly, Harrod's meat counter has really good biltong.

lol that is weird. i live the opposite end of the country though. seems i'd been removing all the various sellers on amazon by clicking for amazon prime

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

You are both totally right and I am coming around. I only started cooking Indian food a few years ago, and after a lifetime of other cuisines adding 1/4tsp - 1tsp at a time, it's a little jarring to see potent spices measured in fractions of a CUP.

whats a good non-squid brand fish sauce?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Any recommendations for a single induction hotplate i can just plug in and put away when its not in use? i've got one of the old poo poo solid metal electric hobs and it'll be a while before i can replace it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got 2 steaks that have a use by date of today. If i sous vide them at 131f for around 2 hours while i'm at the gym they'll be safe for a few days in the fridge to just reheat and then sear?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yes. Use by is guidance. Smell is the tell.

ive decided to just seal and freeze them and cook from frozen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

when i cook steak i usually salt it and leave it for a while but i suddenly wondered if the same could be done with msg. has anyone tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just made fried chicken for the first time to make some fried chicken sandwiches and I'm happy enough with the coating flavour but it fell off pretty badly once I started cooking it and was crispy on the outside and soggy on the inside in places. I did a flour > buttermilk + egg wash > flour coating and wondering what I need to do to make sure it adheres better and isn't soggy in places. I know I need to use more oil next time because some of it stuck to the bottom of the pan though