Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Anyone got a good creole rice or jambalaya recipe to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Sure!

Thinkin this or the simple pulled pork crock pot recipe, TBH.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Had grilled lamb heart that was insanely tender.

What would they have done prior to grilling to keep that thing deliciously supple?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Help a brother out.

Post Wife dating here, and I'm dating an amazing lady who's an amazing cook and now it's my turn.

I wanna do something with pork. Was thinking of thick cut pork chops, fennel, a few other seasonings. What's the best way to get them good and tender? Was thinking of maybe a thin glaze on top as well.

I also want to do jeweled carrots (carrots in ginger ale, cayenne, butter), and was thinking either horseradish or parsnip mashed potatoes. I'll wander around the local fresh markets for another good veggie side. Hopin to find some fresh field peas but dunno. Spinach and other greens are in season, as well as sweet potatoes so I may use those instead of regular taters.

And, of course, squash.

She made me some loving fantastic brisket, Brussels sprouts, and jasmine rice so I gotta return the favor.

My cookware is limited (the ex took all the good and expensive poo poo (my dutch oven :( )) So I got a few skillets and a boiler and.... I think that's it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

^^^ For pork chops, my go-to preparation is to sear em off in a hot pan and toss in the oven to cook to 160F. Then rest em, make a mushroom pan sauce with a bit of brandy or whiskey, and serve with some steamed green beans.

This sounds pretty good. TY.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Ended up cooking a mighty fine pork chop. Got them thick cut, good sear, finished in oven. Had a meat thermometer that was wonky. Put it in, 130. Put it in a few minutes later 180. Freaked out and took the pork out and it was cooked almost just right. Assume maybe I had it in too deep and too close to pan. Came out fine, if maybe right on medium. Def not over cooked.

Little cinnamon, fennel, sesame oil. Was good. Steamed some snap beans, slow roasted some squash, home made tomato paste and put that in some sticky rice.

Dinner was great and so was dessert ;)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Saag Chana

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Agent 99 posted:

What should I do with 150g frozen spinach that's thawed? (I'm aware this isn't the most appealing ingredient.) I used half the pack to prepare stuffing for chicken breasts, and I'm too cheap to throw the rest away. Any ideas?

Gonna throw my vote behind a quiche or saag paneer.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Gonna once again throw my hat in with saag paneer.

Had it yesterday.

So good.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

SEC posted:

Hey GWS! I'm looking for an old fashioned southern fried chicken recipe. Most recipes I'm seeing is basically flour and spices to coat the chicken and then frying them in lard. Just wondering if anyone has some tricks/tips for me! Thanks!

Use a cast iron skillet if you can so you can get that nice caramelization/whatever it's called on the crust when you first put them in skin side down.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
So if I was gonna make mac n cheese oven style with my own home made cheese sauce...

What would happen if I mixed an egg yolk into the cheese sauce right as I poured it into the mac before placing it into the oven?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

An observer posted:

I have tricolor israeli couscous and chicken breasts, what can I make?

I'd cook the chicken however you want, just make sure you toast the cous cous in the leftover fond first and then deglaze.

^^^ Thanks for egg comment! I've been doing a basic bechamel for years. Just thinking of different things to try.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Quick Guacamole recipe with an interesting twist?

Normally use a couple of avocados, some garlic, tomato, onion, jalapeno, line, cumin, cilatro, cayenne. I mean, it's always pretty dang good but I'm going to a taco themed dinner party tonight (!!!) and was asked to provide some guac. Was thinking of trying something a little interesting.

I guess when I say "something interesting" I'm thinking of how some folks put pears into an apple pie. But not? poo poo I dunno.

Suggestions?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Is the goat cheese mixed into the rest of the ingredients or are there blots of it in and around?

Thinking either it or blue cheese. Hmmmmm.

I might just make it anus puckering hot and call it a day.

Oh hey did you try my guac? It's special. It's really good, but it will also destroy your bowels. No? Ah okay. Sucks. It's really good and special too.

ed

Some one once compared Hákarl to "even stinkier, fishier" Katsuobushi, which is that practically petrified fish that they shave pieces off for seasoning in Japan.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Lets say that it's 330 am and you've been asked to cook for five guests at 5pm. What do you do while keeping it in a reasonable budget?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Or, you can make some batter and just fry up the little rings.

So cooking last Sunday fell through. Gonna try to do it this Sunday and the challenge grew.

So, if thread wouldn't mind, here's what I got:

No shellfish, no pork. Both Jewish and Muslim guests. Probably a total of ten people. One of them is fairly picky eater so I'm gonna keep that in mind and try to please everyone. The previous recommendation of aglio e olio was pretty awesome but I think that might be a turn off for a few of the folks coming. I don't consider that even remotely a "weird" dish but you know some people.

Maybe a pasta with choice of sauce? One meat/red sauce and one white sauce? Pasta with green peas, some sweet peppers, mushrooms, etc? I can make a killer mushroom ragu. Should that be considered a white sauce or a third sauce?

TIA

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I may just do that, and considered it so. Only reservation I had was the last time I did a pasta dish it was lasagna :P

It was off the chain taste wise but it was a little... not runny but it didn't cut and serve beautifully.

Thoughts on that aspect?

Last time I made a mornay sauce and filled it with moz and ricotta. Pork and beef red sauce.

Maybe do a second one that's primarily a white sauce, with spinach... maybe asparagus for some crunch? Or maybe broccoli stalks instead? Hmmmm.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 17, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

geetee posted:

Maybe obvious, but any mixing meat and cheese issues with your guests?

So far the only things I know of as definite is no pork or shellfish for religious observations and a friends wife really likes mornay/alfredo sauce so that's what spurned the multiple pasta idea. Lasagna would work just as well!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I asked and pork and shellfish are the only objections. :)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

An observer posted:

Plus salmonella is on the shell of the egg, not inside. Wash the egg if you're worried.

Speaking of salmonella, I just got over a nasty case where it infected not only my intestinal tract but also my bladder and kidneys.

That was the worst drat thing ever ever ever.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Local place puts orange zest into theirs.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
So a lady friend I'm wining and dining recently had her gallbladder removed. She has trouble eating anything with even a reasonable amount of fat in it.

So, any suggestions on a meal I can cook her that's high in fiber, low on fat?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Awesome. Thanks!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Anyone recommend a good hors d’œuvre/finger food that could survive an hour long trip?

I was thinking of doing some fried plantains with some kinda dipping sauce but not sure if they'd still be good after an hour or so.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Pretty much thinking of grabbing this now:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Thomas-Keller-Cookbook-Hardcover/dp/1579654371/ref=la_B001JRZFQM_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1349965535&sr=1-6

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone recommend a good hors d’œuvre/finger food that could survive an hour long trip?

I was thinking of doing some fried plantains with some kinda dipping sauce but not sure if they'd still be good after an hour or so.

Boomp.

I'm having plantains at a dinner tonight so I think that might be out.

Thinking maybe some good delta grind grits in cheese, maybe a nice roux to top it off with.

ed

Or maybe not. Dunno. That would require more re heating than the host would like maybe.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
How long till it begins to sour?

I was thinking of doing this or something similar to it for work Thanksgiving tomorrow. It's easy as hell and less clean up than my original idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za38Y9cHoBk

But I'd like to "tart" it up just a bit you know? Was thinking of adding either pumpkin or butternut squash in with the zucchini and using feta as well as the ricotta.

Thoughts? Should I precook pumpkin or butternut a bit before baking or will it come out even? Would Feta be a bad choice?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Speaking of pork...

A friend is cooking black beans and rice tonight as well as a few accompaniments. I've been invited to dinner and offered to bring something. I was gonna do some nice center cut pork chops, but haven't cooked pork belly in a while.

Usually when I cook pork belly it's been with a honey glaze and sauteed (so not crispy), or I do the covered in skin and other spices in the over type deal to get the super crispy skin. The first of the two I've served with collards, corn bread, and other fresh veggies.

Not sure if either would go particularly well with beans and rice, but I do want to use pork. Any suggestions or should I stick with the chops?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

tarepanda posted:

What about something like molasses pulled pork? I'd definitely eat pulled pork with beans and rice.

Same, but I have two hours total to pick it up, prep it, cook it, and get there.

I have some local honey so regardless if I do center cut pork chops or belly that's how I wanna swing it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Guy who runs this insanely authentic Oaxacan restaurant just cooks his rice in broth, tomato puree, and onions.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Oh, two hours. I must have missed that, sorry.

Grilled pork chops with some kind of salsa-themed sauce?

I didn't mention it. Sorry!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing. Either maybe a mango honey or an apple honey salsa to go with it. Most likely mango, jalapeno, onion, bell pepper, tomato, cilantro, lime, and the local honey.

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have a recipe here that calls for "frozen bell pepper and onion mix". I've never seen such a thing in the store. I know it sounds self-explanatory, but how might I go about making it from scratch?

To clarify: what sort of onion:pepper ratio am I looking at? Finely diced, or coarsely chopped?

What are the quantities of the other ingredients? Thats probably referring to those flash frozen veggie bags you get at Kroger and the like which usually have two or three cups of veggies. Can probably get by with a nice dice on a large onion and a couple of bell peppers.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
How would you cook shrimp and grits? I don't mind but also don't favor the type with a cream sauce. I'd like to emulate a recipe a few places around here that have a creole "meuni re sauce". Both places I have in mind have very spicy shrimp with a nice, deep, red sauce. Heavy on paprika/cayenne and I guess based with a roux? If anyone could suggest, or just share in general.

ed

conversely, my favorite * and grits lately is by the restaurant I posted a few weeks ago. Duck sausage, grits, and a muscadine pan sauce. It's really good, has a nice portion size and a good price. Triple threat.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 28, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
One of my favorite Chinese restaurants has this relish that they top certain dishes and soups with. It has a very distinct flavor/aroma, slightly sweet in the background. I haven't had it at any other Chinese place that I can recall. It's not spicy or peppery to me. Maybe kind of a green color. It comes on dishes that aren't with the rest of the menu (Pork section, Beef section, etc) but tends to come on dishes in the rice and noodle menu, but not on Fried Rice type combos. Specifically, the duck breast/Taiwanese porkchop plate comes with the aforementioned, cabbage, and the relish on top of steamed rice.

Any ideas?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Hmmm. That very well may be a component of it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Very interesting article from UC Davis about this. To reinforce what Gravity said:

I'm glad glass cutting boards weren't mentioned because they dull the gently caress out of your knives, and wondered if they were even still a thing so I googled them and one of the top results from the Bed, Bath and Beyond website had this gem of a comment:

Also, I have a cutting board question. I got a very nice, sturdy bamboo cutting board for Christmas and I'd like to take care of it and make it last. Alton Brown suggests oiling it using food grade mineral oil. What's the purpose of this? I use it, wash it, and let it air dry completely before storing it. What does the oil do?

Oiling it would keep it some what moist, I imagine. It would chip and the like quicker without.

Quick question:

If preparing a meal and trying to stick to one pan/skillet, whats the proper order to cook? GF bought me a jar of Chinese Black Beans and I made beef, broccoli, and carrot with black bean sauce last night. It tasted pretty good, but the meat was over cooked. Safflower oil, cooked some garlic in it on medium heat, then cooked the beef, then cranked it for the black beans and veggies. Lazy and didn't take the meat out is probably my problem, but it was good none the less. But, could be better, which is what I want!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Good deal. No wok, just a skillet. But if I keep half assing Chinese food maybe my Chinese girlfriend will bring a wok with her one night.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

ZetsurinPower posted:

Does anyone have a killer butternut squash recipe that is not in the form of a soup? There are a couple recipes I'm looking at on the GWS wiki but I figured I'd ask for some recommendations.

I was looking at these:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Peanut-Butternut_Squash_Stew

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Butternut_Squash,_Coconut,_and_Lentil_Stew

As a side I usually just cook em stove top and finish with something sticky. Usually a little local honey.

I made a big pot of red beans and sausage last night for red beans and rice. I didn't season it enough before hand so I had to up the seasoning after adding the water. Problem is that the beans were getting really soft so I couldn't boil it all for much too longer.

And basically now it's spiced okay but I can taste the "raw"ness of the spices.

Anything at all I can do?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Breaky posted:

Cure it in the fridge overnight and taste some tomorrow. I bet that fixes it.

About to give it a shot now.

ed

Yup! Turned out pretty good!

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 12, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

"Leave overnight"

Uhh

I've had a bad experience leaving a sandwich 6 hours, let alone overnight.

I would eat the poo poo out of that sandwich even if it sat for two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Anyone here versed in South East Asian cuisine?

We have a fairly large Asian expat community here that has resulted in a bunch of great and more traditional Chinese restaurants, several Vietnamese restaurants, two Thai restaurants, and sadly no Korean restaurants but a ton of Viet/Korean run and owned hair and nail salons :P.

My GF is from Shanghai and we've been trying to find a restaurant that helps cure her homesickness a bit. The last few times we've gone to an Asian restaurant she's ordered the Hot Pot. The Hot Pot has largely been the same everywhere and has largely resembled the type of service you get when you order Pho. Huge bowl, delicious broth, noodles, meat, some type of vegetable and greens to go along with it. Regardless of whether or not the restaurant predominantly identifies as Vietnamese or Chinese.

Except for one place, which is the "most" Vietnamese of all the Vietnamese style restaurants. Whereas the other restaurants are focused around serving Vietnamese baguettes with sushi and Pho on the side, this one particular restaurant is almost 100% focused on Pho and Hot Pots. This particular restaurants Hot Pot is not like the soupy Hot Pot you get else where. You get what is basically a ramekin half filled with rice (that has a crispy almost fried texture on the outside reminiscent of tahdiq) and topped with what I believe to be julienned bamboo shoot and thinly sliced onion. Very very very flavorful and definitely not a soup. We go back to this restaurant specifically for their Hot Pot (and a very spicy and ginger heavy variant of Pho that I am in love with).

We were thinking of making this at home, so I've begun looking up recipes, YT vids, etc. Sadly, I have not come across a recipe or video that resembles the Hot Pot I am ordering at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant. Could anyone offer some insight, clarification, etc?

Also, Vietnamese pancakes are freaking awesome.

ed

I never make dhal or any type of lentil dish without tumeric. It's also great in dishes with chickpeas, okra, and I even put it with brussel sprouts once. I purchased a bottle for four bucks about six years ago and still have about half left.

Oh, btw, good way to get the funk out of brussel sprouts is to soak them in lemon juice for a bit prior to cooking, right?