Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can definitely use metal tools on enameled cookware just be gentle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah like 4-5 types right now sounds right. same for flours. i have 8 or more types of dried beans pls send help i have a probleeeemmm

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

pile of brown posted:

All grill pans are bullshit, forever

add this to the equipment review thread title

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

How do you guys store your rice? The bags they come in are quite ponderous. Should I go for giant square Tupperware?

just fill up a delitainer/readytainer or two and leave the rest in bag

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
have you tested that your oven is really baking at 400*? are you flipping the pieces?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Veritek83 posted:

Is this gochugaru? This seemed to be the only coarse Korean pepper option at the New Grand Mart I went to for the first time today.

this looks like fine powder, not the coarse stuff

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I have two turkey legs from thanksgiving. They were seasoned, cooked sous vide, vacuum bagged and then frozen. What should I do with them

turkey legs belong in the trash

or stock?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
can you maybe post a pic of your setup? im having a hard time picturing it based on your description (is the fire behind the food?)

however my assumption is that you could try making something like this (or buy this)

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-xl-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/xl-ang-l-brackets-pair-bge

i have a pair of these for my bge and they work really well and i think they could work as a heat barrier if you want

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chinatown posted:

I have my own apartment now and I have a hodge podge of old mismatched pots and pans. Time for new.

Whats the best nonstick set for..eh...$200? Flying blind here.

you really only need one non-stick pan for like eggs and such. don't get non-stick pots.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

This is one of those whoa moments for me, finding out you guys don't have tomato paste in tubes? A lot of food comes in tubes here, and it lasts almost forever that way.

america is a failed country lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hmm, I've been squeezing... trying to find the exact right level of give. I'll start sniffing butts instead.

try squashing them

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
finally going to make a purchase at penzys and i'm wondering if any of their special blends of spices (or regular ones that i've overlooked) that i should consider getting?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nwin posted:

I unsubscribed from penzy’s when the owner continued sending multi-paragraph emails about how screwed our country is because of Trump.

Everyone’s entitled to their own political beliefs, but I don’t feel like you should continue to broadcast that in emails to your customers. I really liked it when he would send an email having zero to do with any products, but he’d just talk about the state of the nation.

lol

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/bill-penzey-spite-spice/

quote:

(Side note: the magazine incorrectly reported that Penzey’s apolitical sister, a competing spice merchant, reached out to conservative media in an attempt to sell politics-free spices from the same family. I reached out to her first, and posted about it here. She responded later by inviting readers of my blog alienated by her brother’s nastiness to buy apolitical spices at The Spice House — which I’ve done, and which I, as a former Penzeys customer, recommend to you. Especially their Bavarian Seasoning.)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
double derp post

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you definitely want to buy the whole belly

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

captkirk posted:

The only thing to really do is use each sorrowful bite of your reheated carbonara to pound the lesson into your head to only make enough carbonara to eat that night.

i feel personally attacked for my past sins

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice we upgraded to a second thread for pissing on the goon in the well

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I made turkey stock today and it is super cloudy. Doesn't really matter because it's going in dressing and gravy, but how would I go about clarifying it into turkey consomme? I think there are egg white and ground meat involved? Thinking of trying it just for kicks because I never have before and it doesn't matter if I fail.

did you make it in a pressure cooker?

i used to get a lot of the cloudy, emulsified fat in my chicken stock until i read an article somewhere that said you should let it release naturally to minimize that cloudy fat that can appear in the stock.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Qubee posted:

I take this thread for granted and immediately run here whenever I have a question related to cooking, cause sometimes you lot knock it out the park with your replies and it's like having a wisdom infusion directly into my brain. I did some googling and I'm not meant to be adding sugary stuff to the marinade, that should be added right at the end. So marinades need to be either acidic/briney and then you finish by adding the sugary stuff like mirin. But then adding lemon for acidity has sugar in it and can burn easy so I dunno.

in general yes things with sugar will burn off quite easy. especially if you're cooking in a pan (as opposed to grilling, where you have flexibility to cook over the coals and then move to indirect heat to reduce charring or overcooking)

but one thing to consider is that marinades dont really penetrate the meat very much so you're better off wiping off right before cooking. it also helps with browning to have less moisture on the outside surface.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DildenAnders posted:

Anyone have good ideas for sprucing up canned tuna? I usually add a chopped onion, half a lemon, garlic salt, soy sauce, some good brown mustard, a bit of hot sauce and lots of mayo, and it turns out really good, but there is always room for improvement.

I use shallots, celery, lemon, mustard, mayo and a hefty glug of fish sauce.

but now I'm curious about these options using sesame oil

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
time for some pork stock!

I got a bunch of Bones and some meat that were stored in the freezer and now defrosted. should I make it just like chicken stock? aromatics? I'll prob use it for chili

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are you sure you cooked them through enough? chicken thighs at undercooked temps are really unappealing. if you overcook them they will be fibrous and dry, not rubbery.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Aniodia posted:

So I have a killer craving for some halal-style chicken over rice with white sauce, and no places around here that do that kinda thing. Taking matters into my own hands, I now have rice, chicken, and spices, but no decent recipe for a white sauce. I know there's a recipe over at Serious Eats, but looking at the comments people were saying it's way too mayonnaise-heavy, and that's not my jam, so I was wondering if any of y'all happen to have a decent recipe for some homemade white sauce. Thanks in advance.

kenjis recipe is good except for the white sauce.

I haven't made it yet but I dug through the comments on Reddit about this recipe and this was suggested

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/new-york/halal-white-sauce-thrillist-recipes

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any suggestions for what i could do with some puy lentils? i've made the serious eats pressure cooker with chicken one a few times but i feel like i need to try something else.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
seems like the SV thread is kinda dead, how good is kenji's porchetta recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
leela from shesimmers.com has two books, i really liked the first one and use it as my sole thai cookbook

and pailin's kitchen on youtube is also really good too