Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tusen Takk posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on what the best brand of nam prik pao is? I finally got the actual name of what my local restaurants call "hot oil" and now I'm dying to have it in my fridge.

Also if the "best brand" is like $20 for a 1oz jar or something ridiculous, what is the best brand for the money? I assume that they'll all taste similar since it's just chili flakes in sesame oil but what do I know

http://shesimmers.com/2011/01/nam-prik-pao-thai-chilli-jam-secret.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

My question is when people say "modernist" anything and mac and cheese in particular, is it some GWS forum injoke or..?

specifically, this recipe:

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Kenji alt-lopez did a vegan mac n cheese for his vegan month:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/vegan-stovetop-style-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It uses vegan nacho cheese sauce. Heh. I mean potatoes, cashews and vegetable shortening are probably fine, but that still sounds ridiculous.

I've never tried it and probably wouldn't but I remembered reading it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i've been meaning to try this recipe out, looks pretty tasty:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Beef-Rendang

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Zerilan posted:

Do you think using a little extra ginger could work as a substitute for the galangal? I can't find the latter in any of the stores nearby and I think it's the only ingredient I'm missing.

I've seen people suggest it but I do remember seeing a Thai food blog insist that it's not a good substitute.

Any chance you have an hmart near you? I think I have seen it there.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chemmy posted:

The Benriner is way better than a $10 mandolin. Get the Benriner.

+1 to this but make sure you get the slightly larger one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I believe you can pasteurize eggs with sous vide

http://thatothercookingblog.com/2013/07/16/pasteurizing-eggs-or-mayo-at-home-sous-vide-134-6-f-for-2hr/

Doug Baldwin also states you can do 135* for 75min to safely pasteurize eggs. the whites will have a milky look and different texture but they will take a bit of extra effort to whip.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's on the wiki:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Roxy Rouge posted:

Try Craigslist. I found my large green egg for $150, in great shape with the table + some accessesories. Took about 6 months of watching the list. Also we have has incredible service from the local dealer for replacement parts free under warranty even though technically the lifetime warranty is only for the original owner.

Deal of the century right here, nicely done. I've picked up two larges for 500 and a medium for 400 but Seattle isn't the easiest place to find them used.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone have a solid recipe for a Thai cucumber salad? I'm grilling sriracha wings and pork satay this weekend at a big bbq cook-off and want to serve it as a side.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
To add to that, you can make pulled pork a bit healthier by removing all of the fat pieces or strain the fatty liquids after you've cooked it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sharkattack posted:

I have a cucumber relish recipe (Ajat) that is pretty amazing and I eat by the spoonful. Plus it's super simple. You could probably just slice the cucumbers instead of dicing them if you wanted it more salad-y.

This looks great and simple, thanks!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So, I have a shitload of thai bird chilis, any suggestions what I can make with them?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ibntumart posted:

I have two sockeye salmon fillets thawing for dinner later this week. Any ideas for a simple glaze or sauce to prepare it with?

Miso glazed is awwwwwesome or to be honest salt and pepper with some chopped fresh herbs is always good.

It's copper river salmon season and I can't get enough of it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Nobody wants to smell you cooking chicken at your desk and I'm pretty sure you're at risk leaving recently cooked chicken out at room temp for more than 2 hours.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/05/how-to-marinate-and-grill-flank-steaks.html

quote:

Contrary to what you may think, marinade actually does not penetrate particularly far into meat—even over the course of a few days, the bulk of the aromatic compounds in a marinade will travel mere millimeters into the meat (the exception being salt, small sugar molecules, and some acids). In reality, a marinade is mostly a surface treatment, and not much benefit lies in marinating for more than half a day or so. If you'd like the flavor of the marinade to completely coat your meat, your best bet is to reserve some marinade and simply toss your meat with it after it has been cooked and sliced.

Here are a few ingredients you should consider when constructing a marinade:

Salt is absolutely essential. It is one of the few ingredients that penetrates and seasons meat deeper than the outer surface. I like to add my salt in the form of soy sauce or fish sauce, which are also very high in glutamates, adding extra savoriness to my meat.
Sugar when used in moderation will help the meat brown better on the grill, creating strong smoky, charred flavors. A touch of sugar also balances salt nicely.
Aromatics are mainly a surface treatment, but they can still be quite powerful. Garlic, shallots, dried spices, herbs, or chilis are all good things to experiment with.
Oil is often a primary ingredient in marinades. Many aromatic compounds, such as those found in garlic, are soluble in oil but not in water. The oil will help spread these flavors evenly across the surface of the meat, as well as lubricating and protecting the meat when it first hits the grill.
Acid can balance flavors, but should be used sparingly. It can denature proteins in the meat, causing it to turn mushy over time. With very acidic marinades, it's particularly important to not overmarinade—certainly no more than half a day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think the poster said they have an electric grill soooo....ribs are out and so-so chicken breasts are in.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wheez the roux posted:

Can anyone give me a thumbs up/down on this mandoline? it looks like the best bang for my buck on Amazon and I really don't want to spend more than $30

This is great but make sure you buy the larger version.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

I have this mortar and pestle and it's worked wonders for anything I've needed so far. Making guacamole is the most obvious use, I've mashed up the insides of deviled eggs, and I grind together different kinds of salts and other spices for rubs. I think it's great.

I bought that one too, based on this thread. Great purchase.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Am I alone in thinking honey mustard is absolutely foul?

Definitely not alone.

Anyone have a recipe for carne de chinameca? I saw a blog post about veracruz cuisine and this looks amazing:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pepperoni pizza sitting in a warm car...what's the window of safety on it? Is 4 hours too many?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i use this technique when i want to cook dry beans:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-beans-a-faster-foo-102908

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

75 minutes in the oven vs 15 minutes in a pressure cooker, I think I'll do it in the pressure cooker. I'm just not sure if I'm suppose to pressure cook it with water or with stock.

(Plus I don't have a dutch oven or otherwise big pot to put in the oven :cry:)

It may take 75 minutes but doing so lets you skip the presoak. Generally most people do not keep the presoak water, so you might not want to use stock.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-beans-in-a-pressure-cooker-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193867

quote:

When they're cooked the usual way on the stove top, the greatest drawback with dried beans is the fact that they need to be soaked before cooking, sometimes up to 12 hours. So unless you've planned ahead, dried beans aren't a spontaneous ingredient. There is a quick-soaking method where the beans and water are brought to a boil and then left to soak for an hour or so (as opposed to overnight). This helps to cut the cooking time down considerably, but we're still talking a couple of hours before you have a pot of edible beans. This is where the pressure cooker shines: without presoaking, a pound of dried beans can be done in anywhere from 6 to 40 minutes, depending on the variety. Pretty great!

Is there a catch? Well, a small one. Presoaked beans will (mostly) stay intact when they are pressure cooked, while unsoaked beans tend to split open some. While the quick-soaking method helps somewhat to alleviate the splitting, if you want whole, tender beans then your best bet is to presoak. You can use the quick-soak and unsoaked beans for those times when the splitting isn't such a big deal, like when you're making hummus or in soups.

Another advantage to presoaking beans is that most of the gas-causing sugars are leached out into the soaking water. So when you drain off the soaking water, you are also saying goodbye to this unpleasant side effect to eating beans!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I prefer chimichurri with cilantro instead of parsley but a mix of the two works well. I add some oil, splash of vinegar and some red pepper flakes and blitz it in the food processor

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Mr clean eraser

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Suggestions for deviled eggs? Was going to make some today, I'm trying to make myself like eggs more. Beyond some fresh green chives and smoked paprika, I was just going to make a pretty standard deviled egg. Short of adding lobster or something, what do you do to make your favorite eggs?

Mix the yolks with sriracha mayo, top with sliced green onions

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Isn't salmon one of those fish that stands on it's own and doesn't need cajun seasoning or other strong stuff dumped all over it?

You just need a little bit of something with it, right?

S&P and a squeeze of lemon for me. Also, say no to farmed stuff, that poo poo is rank.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm really lazy with food except one day a month or so when I get motivated and make a bunch of freezer meals so I won't have to do a restaurant every night. I've been kicking the idea around about doing homemade hot pockets for breakfast-y stuff, but I'm not really that experienced on what'll freeze well, or if I need to do anything special to get them to freeze. Right now the menu looks something like:
Scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon or sausage, maybe spinach or diced tomatoes
Walnuts, granny smith apples, brie, truffle oil
Caramelized bananas and peanut butter
Blueberries (this looks amazing)

Will I have issues with any of that? Any suggestions for more variations? I'd like to do 20 or so, then I'm set for workdays for a month.

Breakfast burritos freeze pretty well but I usually do a big batch of regular burritos and use them for lunches during the week.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/teriyaki-sauce-how-to-make-at-home-recipe.html

Can I substitute something like sherry or Shaoxing wine for sake?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

totalnewbie posted:

Maybe? Sake (nihonshu) is pretty different from both sherry and Shaoxing. If you can get mirin, can't you get nihonshu? Well, I guess maybe they don't have a liquor license.

I'd try the Shaoxing and maybe cut back a touch on the soy sauce or add a little more sugar.

Thanks, I'm just being a cheapass but i'll pick up a small bottle of sake tomorrow since i'm not going to make it tonight.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I want to make some chili powder.

I have dried guajillo, new Mexico, Ancho, negro, California and arbol.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Very Strange Things posted:

Get the skin as dry as possible, like FGR says. I like to get some oil on there with my salt and then do a really high heat for the first 20-30 minutes of the roast –450 to 500 F.
Rubbing some butter on the skin halfway through doesn't hurt.

I've heard of mixing Baking POWDER with the salt to dry out the skin even more, but I've never tried it. Has anybody tried that?

I use baking powder and salt on my wings before I put them in the fridge for a day or so. Really helps crisp the skin.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huh?

Oh.

That was the first thing I tried. It was tasty.

Anyway this blender is pretty nice. The only thing is (other than the price) that the bottom part doesn't detach so I would imagine making nut butters would be annoying because of having to scoop it out without being able to remove the blade. We also made a few soups with it and that's really cool. I'm curious though if a blended together soup can taste as good as a soup that's been cooked longer since it doesn't have much time for flavors to extract or whatever? Probably doesn't get hot enough either.

I've only tried it once with my vitamix but it does have a soup setting that blends the poo poo out of it and gets it really hot.

That said, it's not sufficient to make a soup that involves raw onions because they definitely came through on the soup with RAW ONION flavor and smell.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nachos

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Unless you fry fish in it, then it gets pretty stinky after just one use.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

Sorry for being vague, I was posting from my phone at work :v:. I'm not a big soup person in general, but something about this change of season has got me craving soups. What I generally go to are things like chicken tortilla, wonton, miso, and hot and sour type soups. I guess the childhood standards of vegetable or chicken noodle are what I'm trying to avoid, though I suppose chicken noodle is kinda in that same category. I also want to avoid some of the heavier soups like potato or broccoli cheese. Those are really tasty, but a lot heavier than what I'm wanting here lately. Also, tomato soups are generally something I like as well. Pho is really good, too. I've only had it a couple of times, so I'm not exactly sure what goes into it and types and so on.

I like this recipe for a quick chicken pho-ish soup:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/quick-asian-chili-lime-chicken-soup.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Beer doesn't count as booze. Send some Rainier.

It's not even made here anymore. California :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

themongol posted:

hello friends,

what's the consensus on bare-metal vs enamelled dutch oven? I already own a few cast-iron pans so maintenance is not an issue. Is there any significant advantage with the enamelled ones given their price?

Thanks!

In theory, cooking anything acidic in cast iron is not good but a lot of people in here claim that it's no problem for them. I have one of each and only use the cast iron one for frying and enameled for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Thanks! I actually just read about Land of Plenty because I somehow started reading about Sichuan peppers on Wikipedia

e: Hey also on this sort of thing, do I have to refrigerate fish sauce? Cause I have a bottle that's been out of the fridge a few years. I might toss it anyway because the green cap doesn't close all the way so it's been open a looong time. Stupid squid.

i dont think you have to, i certainly havent ever done so.