Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Hey, Bartolimu? From everyone in #goonswithspoons, gently caress you.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I'm looking for a really, really good veal marsala recipe. Maybe something with wild mushrooms, which I can get at my local farmer's market. It's my wife's favorite dish, and I really want to make it for her.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I have a question about preservatives.

Store bought food pretty much always includes them, sometimes multiple preservatives. This is obviously to extend the shelf life or in some cases forgo immediate refrigeration. Recently I've made a few things that I was concerned about not being able to use up fast enough (it's just me and my wife) such as my own hot sauce and marinara sauce, and I was wondering if it's practical or safe to attempt to add something like sodium benzoate to extend the shelf life. Also, is it likely to affect the taste in the amounts needed? How would I figure out how much to use?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So we like yellow squash and zucchini and frequently sautee them with a bit of olive oil and garlic as a side. This grocery store nearby has giant striped zucchini from Mexico that really kick rear end, but I digress.

I keep having a problem with the garlic. I can't seem to reach a balance between getting the squash/zucchini sufficiently cooked and tender and...not toasting or burning the garlic. Do I just need to turn the heat down and cook the veggies more slowly? Interestingly, this didn't seem to happen when I cooked with some elephant garlic recently.

I'm also looking for some sort of guide to the proper storage/treatment of vegetables. Keeping them fresh is an issue sometimes when you're just cooking for two and might not eat them fast enough. Which veggies should be kept in the fridge and which should definitely NOT be refrigerated? I've seen varying opinions on tomatoes, onions, potatoes, and citrus fruit, for example.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Turkeybone posted:

To the first question, you can cook the garlic then take it out, or what would be easier would be to make some garlic oil by either putting some whole bulbs in oil on low heat until soft, or in the oven the same way, until the garlic was soft. Then you have awesome garlic that you can schmear on things, and flavored garlic oil that won't kill you.

e: for the second part I'm not sure if like, the book On Food or the website Cook's Thesaurus mentions anything about storage, but generally you want to keep tomatoes above 55 degrees (f), onions and potatoes in dark dry places (but not together), citrus idk I keep it in the fridge if it's hot out, but I'm pretty sure citrus doesn't ripen once it's picked so I don't think it should make much difference.

We have tiny fruit flies that magically appear whenever we put fruit or tomatoes out on the counter so I guess we'll have to put them in a container (anyone with any tips on annihilating fruit flies/gnats please let me know, I've tried several things already). I have been using the green bags for stuff that does need refrigeration and they really do make stuff last longer, especially greens and fresh herbs. Curiously, I've also noticed that organic fruits and vegetables seem to stay fresh longer. I get organic romaine pretty often and organic oranges, limes, and lemons and they all stay fresh about twice as long as non-organic stuff.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

geetee posted:

They lay eggs in the soil of house plants. I put some mild soap and water in a spray bottle and moistened the surface soil of every plant once a day for a couple weeks. Apparently you need to do it long enough to kill the current eggs and the ones the current generation will be laying. Good luck!

I don't have any houseplants, which is what's puzzling. Initially I suspected the sink garbage disposal so I started cleaning it more often and that didn't make a difference. I've also never seen them around the disposal, so...

I tried one of those sticky trap things you hang up and it did gently caress all, and smelled like poo poo. I also tried the dish of apple cider vinegar with a bit of sugar in it and they ignored it. I have radioactive super-gnats or something.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I HAVE QUAILS. They were on sale! Nearly 2 pounds worth for less than $8.

So, I think I'm gonna grill them. I've had mesquite-grilled quail at a nice Mexican place before, but I don't really know what seasonings go well with quail, as they're definitely kinda gamey compared to chicken. Any suggestions?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

CuddleChunks posted:

I've got quails too, but they're just living out in my backyard for now. Eating plants and raising their family. :3:

But if I get hungry... :parrot:

I will freely admit I don't have the balls to kill even something as small as a quail. I suppose if you chop their little heads off it's over quick. :gonk:

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
My local market uses terms I'm not familiar with for a few cuts of beef...in particular, they have something they label as 'knuckle' (both portions and whole, with the whole being about 20 pounds), and quite honestly I can't tell what the hell it is. The texture is close-grained, similar to round or sirloin. It looks good, and it's inexpensive...any ideas?

(I googled it and apparently the term is interchangeable)

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

"...that has had the tri-tip muscle removed."

Well gently caress that. Why the hell is tri-tip so hard to find? :sigh:

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I'm making a big breakfast tomorrow morning and I'd like to do something a bit different with the eggs. Typically I make a good sized batch of scrambled eggs and add some cheese and a bit of sour cream. Lately I've been adding fresh dill, too.

Any suggestions for interesting eggs? (Smashmouth :frogout:)

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Is there a type of cookware (other than cast iron) that works better with an electric range? I'm having serious issues with hot spots when I use regular non-stick pans and such. Cast iron works great but I can't really use it for everything and it does require a lot of heat management since the eyes get so drat hot.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I picked up a whole lamb shoulder today because it was on sale for only $2.99 a pound. I wasn't really thinking about what I would actually do with it.

Cooking it whole isn't really practical for me. I was thinking that instead I could break it down into chops, but I've never done anything like that before. It is presently frozen. Am I better off thawing it and cutting the chops with a knife (but then probably putting them back into the freezer, and isn't that supposed to be bad?) or acquiring a meat saw and cutting it up frozen?

Also if I am going to get a meat saw I have no idea what to buy. I don't really need to be able to cut bone but I assume some saws can't handle frozen meat.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Why not?

Probably the simplest thing to make delicious, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhWIrf-9_gw

Well, it's 6.5 pounds, so I think it's bigger than what Jamie has in that video. I suppose that means it would take longer to cook. That means I'd only be able to cook it on a weekend.

Also, I'm worried about how long it would keep after roasting it, but I guess I could freeze some of it?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's basically getting cooked until gelatin melt, which means tender and succulent, so it doesn't get ruined on reheat like a rare steak would. You can also put it in sandwiches, on salads, make rillettes, wraps, serve over basmati rice with raita, or with a side of tabbouleh, and yes you can freeze it.

So cooked until the outer layer of fat melts? There's a pretty good portion of that on the meaty end.

Well...since it's frozen, how long is it going to take to thaw this bitch? A day, at least?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
My local asian market has absolutely gorgeous lemongrass right now. I'd like to make something with it, but my wife is mildly allergic to coconut so tom yum is right out. Can I just use it (flavorwise) similarly to citrus?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Would cooked spaghetti squash respond well to being frozen/reheated? We love having it as a veg/side or combined with other stuff, but the squash is so big that we always end up with too much. Also it takes time to prepare it well so I figured if I could have it ready to go from the freezer that would rock.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I tend to make impulse buys when I see stuff on sale...

So, saw a package of beautiful prepped Smelts for $4. I don't have a drat clue what to do with them other than the obvious, which is apparently to put a light batter on them and pan fry them, then spritz some lemon. Maybe the simplest option is the best? I've been poking around for stuff to do with Smelts and haven't found much else.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Any tips on how to break my wife of being a total and complete spoiled brat about food?

She grew up in a household where she was allowed to say "no" to anything she didn't like. It stuck. Perfect example: I asked about smelts in here earlier. I ended up frying them, which produced excellent results. She normally likes fried fish, but said the smelts were "too fishy," whatever the hell that means. She eats catfish and tilapia and they have that earthy flavor to them...sigh...

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

razz posted:

You can't really. She has to want to herself. My mom is the same way and she's like 55. My dad totally caters to her so whenever I cook, it's like I'm trying to get her to eat raw fish eyeballs or something.

Examples: I made lasagna with deer meat which she ate and liked. Then she found out it was deer and not beef and REFUSED to eat it again, or anything else I cooked with deer meat.

My fiance and I were making a dish with anchovies in it, and she commented on how good it smelled. As soon as I told her it was anchovies, she got "grossed out" and refused to try the finished dish.

Some people are just food babies. Whenever my mom comes over I just pick up a rotisserie chicken and some potato salad from Wal-Mart. :sigh:

I can occasionally get away with this if I'm crafty. She hates onions; I cook them down until they're unnoticeable but you still get the flavor. :hehe:

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I saved the liquid from a braise because I wondered if I could possibly do something with it since it was so delicious. Can I do anything with it?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I have an annoying issue I'm trying to solve with leftover meats. I often cook meats that have a reasonable fat content in my pressure cooker, and so the leftover liquid will have a fair amount of liquid fats suspended in it. When I put the meat in a container in the fridge, I don't want it to dry out so I will pour some of the liquid in with it. This results in a really gross chilled layer of fat that I DO NOT WANT congealing on top.

I really have no clue how to get the fat out of the liquid before I put it in the container. The only idea I've had so far was putting the liquid in a large measuring cup, allowing the fat to float, then attempting to pour it off. I haven't tried that yet but was planning to do so the next time I use my pressure cooker. Does anyone have any better techniques for getting the fat out?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I'm looking to make some beef stew tonight, but I hate carrots and peas and I swear to god, every single loving beef stew recipe has them in it. Any vegetable substitute suggestions for decent texture and flavor? I considered zucchini but I'd have to toss it in towards the end to keep it from getting mushy.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Ehhhh. Wouldn't they get mushy, too? I do like other root veggies like parsnips and beets but I was worried they might not get fully cooked. I guess I could roast them first?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Schmeichy posted:

Butternut squash, rutabega, turnips, potatoes, celeriac, mushrooms, lots of onion and/or garlic are all excellent in beef stew. Weird that you like parsnips and not carrots, because those are almost identical imo. The beef should probably cook for a while before you add the vegetables to it to get suitably tender without making the veg mushy.

It may be mostly a texture thing, now that I think about it. I guess I've always had cooked carrots prepared so that by the end, they're pretty soft. I actually like fresh carrots in a salad or with some sort of dip. Parsnips on the other hand seem to always retain a certain amount of bite.

Perhaps the problem here is that most beef stew recipes don't address the issue of preventing the veggies from getting mushy...they just tell you to chuck it all in there and cook it forever.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

That's the issue I'd bet. I usually put onions, garlic, and beef in at first because I want the onions and garlic to turn to mush in the sauce. Then I cook a long time, and add the rest of the vegetables at the end, in order of how long they take/how long I want to cook them. And more onions because onions are awesome and especially if they're cooked swimming in beef juice.

I have a big bunch of chard...am I a madman for considering tossing it in at the very end? :v:

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So it turns out I've never actually done anything with celeriac. Assuming that I simmer my stew for ~3 hours, how long does the celeriac need to be in there for in order to get reasonably tender, and how small should I cut it up?

Also: KIDNEYS. Sort of a last minute decision but they looked great in the store and 99 cents a pound, so... :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Drimble Wedge posted:

Get a stick blender maybe? Also known as boat motors. They are fairly inexpensive.

...and yeah, pretty much vital for thick soups. Also very useful for making your own tomato sauce.