Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm always amazed that they sell 5 pound bags of the pepper powder at the Asian market. Is there a use for that much pepper for home cooks, or are those bags more for restaurants?

If you're making kimchi regularly at home you'll go through one of those bags in no time. In Korea they come in even larger sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

E: is there any decent way to freeze cheese :ohdear:? Or is vacuum sealer and fridge the best bet? Can I vacuum seal Stilton?

I used to freeze a lot of cheese in Asia. I'd wrap it tightly in plastic and stick it in a bag that I sucked the air out of. Works okay? I wouldn't do it in a place with regular access to cheese but it didn't gently caress it up much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Agreed. Fortunately I love garlic.

I would like nothing more than to be able to wolf down a bowl of rando lettuce mix. As it is the bitter ship sailed decades ago and I'm trying everything I can to deal with the aftermath.

If you love garlic, check out your local Asian grocery store (RIP if you don't have one) for garlic scapes. They're long, thin, green dudes. Cut those up into a couple inch long sections and stir fry for a few minutes with some thin sliced ginger and dried chilies, a bit of soy sauce and rice vinegar. One of my favorite veggies and an easy sell if you're a garlic person.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Help me Goons I'm drawing a blank, plz tell me what to make for dinner with

Eggs
chicken thighs
pantry staples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBSKWTtzumg

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Even a cheapo rice cooker is easier and more consistent than using a pot. It's not cheating, everybody in Asia uses a rice cooker too. I don't think I've made rice in a pot in a decade.

You do still have to figure out your water ratio but after that you're good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You do realize cup is a standardized measurement, right? It's just not metric. 236.5 ml is one cup.

It should only be used for liquids though, weight for solids that are compressible/irregular shapes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Doesn't the UK use gas dial numbers for the oven?

What's a gas dial number? Is it just dots instead of a temperature?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I've heard instead of temp setting on ovens they used to have just a dial from 1-10

Probably an issue with older ovens more than newer, similarly newer recipes probably list degrees

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Oven_Temperatures

Weird. I like when Brits complain about US measurements since as far as I can tell the UK claims to use metric but does not actually do so. Everything I ever see from there is talking about miles per hour and feet and stones and poo poo. At least the US doesn't pretend.

Plus for some reason they take it like some sort of personal attack, which is hilarious.

Butterfly Valley posted:

But cooking just seems to be one place objectively much much better done in metric. I'm just voicing a bugbear I've had ever since I read that blog recipe where the author complained about their country not using metric then went on to use cups for everything

They're writing for Americans so using American units.

I agree the US should use metric, but nobody gives a poo poo about my opinion. So either I can be That Guy and insist on using metric to people who don't know what I'm talking about, or I can conform.

It's a thing I've had to deal with since returning from an adult life lived in metric countries. I decided to just go with it when talking to people, but my brain is still metric and ready for when I leave again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Converting is no big deal, google does it for you.

And I was being more general about the attack, not only recipes. A lot of the UK people I met abroad have a serious stick up their rear end about Americans not using metric (though we do, as far as I can tell it's very similar how we both use both systems--liters are a common enough unit in the US, for example, and all packaging is in both US and metric units) and take it personally, which used to annoy me until I realized how funny it is for them to care so much about something that doesn't affect them at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just picked 10 gallons of satsumas/mandarin oranges off my tree. I usually snack on them over a few weeks straight off the tree, but early freeze meant pulling them all. What can I do with 10 gallons of satsumas besides just eat them?

You can freeze them whole and eat them frozen as icy summer desserts, pretty popular that way in Japan. Or used to be anyway, not sure if they still do it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oven roast the leg/thigh quarters, pan sear the breasts, use the rest for duck stock. Make a soup and make stuffing with duck stock as the liquid, I did that before and it was fuckin' great. Use the excess fat to roast potatoes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

What’s the destination city

Flavortown.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's fine. Lasts longer if you filter it, I usually just stick a paper towel in a funnel and pour it through that. You'll know when oil goes rancid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

"Sushi grade" is a marketing myth. I use regular supermarket frozen fish all the time and can confirm I am not dead. It's not like there's a separate fishing ship catching sushi tuna and freezing it differently, it all gets flash frozen and dumped in the hold the same way when they catch it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I just let it cool, filter it, and put it back in the bottle(s) it came in.

Same. You don't have to really be delicate with the stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You don't really need to measure. Just be careful with the carrots, those are sweet and too many of them will make the stock gross. Toss it all in the pot and don't add too much water, enough to cover is plenty.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ohitashi is a good way to use up a lot of spinach. https://www.justonecookbook.com/spinach-ohitashi-japanese-spinach-salad-with-bonito-flakes/

Or spinach gomaae. https://www.justonecookbook.com/spinach-with-sesame-sauce/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Blanch spinach briefly, just until the color change. Drain while you heat up a wok with just a bit of oil, couple tablespoons. Fry some smashed and chopped garlic and/or slivered ginger. When fragrant, add your spinach, toss it around a bit for a minute or so, add a little salt, then add a bit of potato starch slurry. Like a teaspoon starch + teaspoon water at most, you just want to vaguely glaze the vegetables and help the aromatics stick to them.

You can do this to any green and it's great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Looks like the right types of flavors but nowhere near enough of them to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep. If you're using it for chili I'd just do the standard western onion/celery/carrots, maybe a bulb of garlic too. If you want to get fancy throw in a ginger, ginger and pork are excellent together.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Orange Somen posted:

I just made a pressure cooker vegetable stock, partially out of trimmings, and it tastes horrible and bitter.
We made sure nothing cruciferous went in - it's leek, garlic, onion, parsley, cilantro, carrot, kombu, and dried mushroom - and pressure cooked it for an hour. The bag of trimmings has been collected over the past month, but returned to the freezer each time after opening it to put stuff in. Any ideas on what went wrong?

Boiling kombu produces horrible off flavors and can be very bitter, I'd put my money on that. If you're using kombu you should just let it soak in the water for a couple hours beforehand, you can raise the temperature to a bare simmer and then remove it before you continue.

That's kind of annoying with a pressure cooker, what I would do is soak the kombu overnight in your water (in the fridge is best) and then do the rest the next day.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 14, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Helith posted:

Wow, I always heard that Korean food had become very sweet, but holy moley the amount of sweet things going into that marinade :eyepop:

That feeling of slowly rising horror as you read that list makes it seem Korean. Though maple syrup is weird, that's not exactly easy to get in Korea.

Here's a different, less sugary galbi marinade:

"½ cup soy sauce
1 cup water
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup rice wine
¼ cup about 1/2 of a medium Korean/Asian pear grated
¼ cup about 1/2 of a medium onion grated
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 tablespoons sesame oil
½ teaspoon black pepper"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Were you the one who was showing pictures of food to kids in Korea and asking what flavor they were and the kids said “sweet” to everything

And how many pounds of galbi is that recipe for because I got like 20 lbs

I don't remember that story but it would not surprise me. I still have nightmares about when one school was making ddeokbokki for the kids and emptying entire bags of sugar and bottles of corn syrup into the sauce. It was not that much sauce.

That marinade says it is for 3-4 pounds. But if you have that much I'd do variations. Something gochujang-y like you often get with galmaeggisal, something more vinegary.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread (or forum) for this, but does anyone know what the stretchy mochi-like substance you eat with chopsticks like a noodle is (Japanese cuisine)? My uncle told me to get something like that for him and I'm not sure if it's something shelf-stable, which would put an obvious damper on it. I think it's because he saw it in an anime, which seems like a strike against it existing.

I've never seen such a thing in Japan. There are instances where you eat mochi with chopsticks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Udon isn't stretchy but yeah that's the only thing I can think of. Or hoto noodles.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Helith posted:

Tororo I think that's called.

Yeah, tororo. It doesn't taste like anything and it's hard to eat cum with chopsticks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sitting for a couple days at least is fine, I've never noticed a change. I usually just make more than I need and freeze some. If you can get some 250 ml food service containers that's a good size to portion it in, enough for a single miso soup or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Leal posted:

Wait what?

Pretty standard, the idea comes from chocolate mole. Small amounts of really dark chocolate as a flavor enhancer.