Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
When do the bulk hops coming in again? My hops plant was destroyed by nasty bugs, so I don't know when to gauge harvest time. I need at least 2 pounds from HopsDirect for the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Anyone buy bulk hops yet? My two favorite sites, HopsDirect and Freshops.com are still don't have the bulk of their crop in yet. I need cheap hops!

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Just so you all know, there are still some Amarillo hops left on hopsdirect.com. They just released some yesterday, and they limit 1 lb per customer, but it might be worth it to you.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Recipe Request: I really want to make a Stout. Last time I made one (Chocolate Cherry Stout) it got infected, and the judges at a homebrew competition scoffed at it.

I want something pretty big, but not super dry, roasty, astringent. I am thinking maybe a max of 7% alcohol, so no Russian Imperial stouts essentially. I want it to be decadent, smooth, and filling. Anyone got a tried and true all grain for me that fits these descriptions?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

indigi posted:

Simple, traditional, delicious:

75% Golden Promise (Maris Otter works)
15% Flaked Barley
10% Roasted Barley (Go English/Belgian for a more characterful, assertive roastiness, US/German for something a bit weaker and more simple)

Shoot for 1.045-50, 152* for an hour, 60 minute bittering addition to 40 IBUs, any yeast from the British Isles. If you go to 1.060 or above I'd cut back on the roast barley to 7-8% if you're using the English or Belgian, I wouldn't want to go over 1.5lbs. I used to go 70/20/10 but find that 15% flaked barley is plenty and Golden Promise is just my favorite base malt.

Done and done. I think my LHBS only has the Otter, but I love otter, so that shouldnt be a problem. I have some EKG leftover, so those will be my hops. indigi, you have outdone yourself once again.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Anyone use Blood Orange zest in a beer? Honestly, making a Blood Orange American Wheat as a summer beer sounds amazing, but I am not sure if the zest from a Blood Orange is any different than the zest from a regular orange.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I have previously used Lemon and Orange zest in beers. Has anyone tried grapefruit, tangerine, or blood orange zest before?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Just found a chest freezer in the basement of my new house that I can use for temperature control! No need to buy/modify a 3rd Sanyo mini fridge to fit a carboy.

Has anyone here purchased a pre-made Kegerator setup? Even better, any Cleveland brewers in here that want to sell their kegerator?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I am fully committed to buying a Kegging system, either used or new.

I would like to have two kegs carbed at a time, but they do not have to necessarily be at different serving pressures. If the kegs are both carbonated, but there is only one faucet, is it possible to simply switch the serving lines and dispense from the other keg?

I used to see Used kegs for sale on Northern Brewer, but do not see them anymore. Is there a good source for quality used kegs still around?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Bad Munki posted:

On the other hand, if your actual goal is perhaps closer to just being able to carb one keg while serving another, you can just plug the carbing keg into gas, pressurize it, and then disconnect it and let it stew under the pressure until you're ready to swap kegs out. No reason you can't carb at room temp, either, you'll just need the pressure a little higher. But with that mechanism, you can carb as many kegs as you have: just pressurize, and let sit. You may have to re-dose the carbing kegs once in a while, but that's not such a big deal, just re-apply pressure every couple days until it stops taking more.

This sounds like something I might do.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Very close to buying the full kegerator setup, and not building one. My current plan is to go with this Kegerator (Free Shipping!):

http://www.compactappliance.com/KC2000TWIN-EdgeStar-Full-Size-Dual-Tap-Kegerator-And-Keg-Beer-Cooler/KC2000TWIN,default,pd.html#BVRRWidgetID

and to buy two Ball Lock Kegs from this place:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=1

The description of the Kegerator says that it will fit [quote] two cornelius (homebrewed) kegs with an additional ball lock connector (sold separately)[\quote].

Is that something separate from the Ball Lock Kegs that I am getting from KegConnection?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

j3rkstore posted:

I would also invest in an external temperature controller as they are much more accurate than the built-in temperature dial.

For example: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=49

I already have one, but that is good advice. Thanks!

Jo3sh posted:

Commercial kegs have one big fitting that allows you to push gas in and draw beer out. Cornies have two posts, one for gas in and one for beer out. The good news is that the disconnects are cheaper than Sanke connectors.

So what you would do with that kegerator is remove the Sanke connector from each set of lines and replace it with a set of ball-lock connectors. You can put the Sanke connectors on the shelf in case you someday want to pour commercial beer, or sell them on Craigslist, or whatever.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I think I'm going to make the plunge.

ScaerCroe fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 5, 2012

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

All assembled, and looking beautiful! Now I just gotta get some kegs in there (beer was just there for the photo). Thanks for the advice (as always) HBT III!

Linked for size:

http://i.imgur.com/DlRkp.jpg

ScaerCroe fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 12, 2012

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Kegged my first beer today, throwing 20 PSI at it so that it will hopefully be carbed up by Saturday.

While doing this, I had the idea that if I had a party at my place where girls that did not drink beer would be attending, I hypothetically could carb up some cheap, dry white wine as Champagne for them.

Has anyone done something like this?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Angry Grimace posted:

I've always heard high pressure over time doesn't really work that well. I usually just resort to shaking some in at 30 PSI for about 2-3 minutes and then leaving it alone for three days at serving pressure. I shook it for like 5 minutes once but it ended up kind of overcarbed.

I'll keep this in mind. NorthernBrewerTV (as well as some others) suggest 20 PSI for 1-2 days, then go to serving to see if it is carbed.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

fullroundaction posted:

We're thinking about doing a batch of mead for a dorky Game of Thrones premier party next (spring?) and I was looking at the NB kits last night and they seem kind of boring. 2 quick questions:

1) Anyone have any experience with doing additions/what did you do/how did it come out?

2) I see that you continually feed the yeast throughout the process, so should I bother with a yeast starter? (Wyeast 4021 Champagne Yeast)

I like making starters so if the answer is "you don't need to but it certainly wouldn't hurt" then I probably will anyway.

1) I have used vanilla, ginger, black cherries, and oranges before, which all turned out pretty good. I have tasted cinammon/vanilla ones before as well (commercial mead) which I did not care for very much. Look up an established recipe, and scale it to the size of the batch you are doing.

2) How big of a batch are you doing?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
My homegrown Brewer's Gold hops (tart/fruity English variety) are just about dry and ready to be used in my annual Harvest Brewer's Gold IPA. I typically do a SMaSH beer and dry hop the poo poo out of it, as I like to taste the influence of these hops, but I would like to switch it up a little this year.

I was thinking of doing an English IPA recipe with a good malty backbone to complement my English hops. Anyone have a recipe they swear by?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
For those of you that keg, how do you carb that little extra beer that you end up bottling? I have been using those carb tabs for their convenience, but they are pretty expensive. Any other ideas?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

global tetrahedron posted:

Yeah, I made a California Common with that yeast once and it was kind of more sulfurous smelling during fermentation than most yeasts I'd used. I think that's the trend with most lager yeasts, if I'm not mistaken. It turned out to be one of the best beers I've ever made though.

I just threw my Cal Common in a keg. The White Labs San Fran Lager yeast took forever to show activity. I think it was about 2 days before I saw anything at all. Did you guys have the same thing?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

hellfaucet posted:

OK, so apparently I did well for my first couple batches because 10 gallons of beer came and went way, way faster than I thought. My buddies hit my kegs pretty hard this weekend so far.

Anyone have a relatively cheap "house beer" they like to serve to avoid having all your good poo poo drank in one night?

I know this is a little late, but for this purpose I like to make SMaSH beers, and my favorite is:

Austrian Pale Ale

12# Vienna Pale Malt (3.5 Lovibond)

Hopping is usually:

1 oz @ 60 min
1 oz @ 20 min
1 oz @ 05 min
Whirfloc @ 05 min

with whatever hops you have on hand. Obviously Hallertau or some other Germanic hop is preferable, but not needed. I have had good results with Cascade or Simcoe as well.

Mash at 150F for 60 minutes. Ferment at 65-68F with some US-05. Drink fresh and in quantity.

With this type of beer you can really tune into your favorite hop variety's flavor. It has got a beautiful color when it clears.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Element1290 posted:

Does anyone grow their own hops here? I couldnt seem to find any threads on it. I was just wondering if anyone had some good advice for a beginning hop farmer.

I have some experience. My plant was 5 years old this summer, and produces some great hops every year. I'm thinking of re-planting some of the varieties that died on me next spring. I think there were a couple of guys here who were much more experienced than I am, but I'll try to answer any questions you have.

Who here recommended TheMadFermentationist.com? Hours of reading on that site, and tons of great ideas.

He suggests that you can pitch some brett on some oak plugs, let the beer get innoculated this way, and then save the plugs as a consistent way to pitch some Brett into your other beers, which sounds like an awesome idea. Has anyone done this?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Could you cold crash a primary?

Fo sho.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

fullroundaction posted:

e: Bonus spice blend pic: http://i.imgur.com/nzHOv.jpg

We have no idea what we are doing but we sure shoved a lot of crap into that bag :party:

Is that for the Gose? I see star anise, cloves, but what are the crystalline things? Candied ginger?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Galler posted:

Looks like raisins to me.

Ahh, that they do.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Gracias for the HopsDirect hookup. Bought a couple of pounds. Seriously, even if it doesn't have a great flavor/aroma profile, it could be used as a clean bittering addition with those high AA %'s!

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Inspired by the Mad Fermentationist, I started my first sour beer yesterday:

-7# Maris Otter
-2# Brown Malt
-0.5# C40
-0.25# C120

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes
Boiled for 70 minutes with a 0.5oz Belma Hop addition.

Used 5 grams of S-04 and one Wyeast pack of Brett Lambicus. Added 2oz of Medium Toast French Oak Cubes that were boiled for 10 minutes. Already bubbling away. Now I am thinking of buying another carboy just so that I can continue brewing sours without holding up a vessel for ~6 months.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I just found a gallon of cider I set aside and pitched some Jolly Pumpkin dregs into as an experiment from July/August. It's got a nice pellicle forming and is smelling awful pleasant. Now I'm all excited to try it out in few months from now. It was .997 FG before I pitched the dregs, I can't imagine how dry its gonna end up.

This sounds amazing! I love Jolly Pumpkin, especially some Bam Bier on a hot summers day with some grilled, steaks.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Speaking of salts, I saw that Samuel Adams is brewing Gose beer these days. I haven't ever tried a Gose before (or even seen a commercial example). Has anyone tried it? How does it compare to the recipes I have seen on TheMadFermenter or HBT?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

hellfaucet posted:

The SMaSH I did with Galaxy hops and wheat LME is maybe one of the most delicious and unique PAs I've ever tasted. I highly recommend these hops if you like fruity hops, really stoked to use these more. Glad I bought a pound when I had the chance.

Has anyone done a SMaSH with those Belma hops that were posted awhile ago? I am planning on making a Two Hearted Ale clone, but subbing Belma in for Centennial, and switching out the 2-Row for some Floor malted MO to give it some more backbone. The only reviews of Belma I have seen are that it has a huge strawberry nose in beers.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Rhizome sale now at MoreBeer! I picked up a Cascade, Centennial, and a Hallertaur to add to my 5 year old Brewer's Gold Rhizome. I am going to be cranking some hops out in the coming years!

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

internet celebrity posted:

Thanks, just snagged some Centennial, Hallertau, and Willamette. How many years does it take before I get hops worthy of brewing?

My Brewer's gold produced about an ounce its first year. On it's third year, it produced 2.5 pounds. Most commercial growers say they are fully mature at 2-3 years. If you fertilize and water them, they will produce more hops.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Does anyone use 5.2 pH stabilizer? I have never measured or attempted to change my pH in the mash, and I have had very good results. Will this significantly effect my beers for the better?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I need a Rye IPA recipe, probably on the lighter side of the style in terms of ABV. I made a red rye-IPA recipe I found on HBT before that was very good, but I seem to have lost the link to the recipe. Any suggestions?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I keep hearing about how you are not supposed to grind your grains until right before brewday, but is this honestly a problem? I don't want to buy a mill, and the homebrew shop in the city where I just moved only has a hand crank mill with a 4 pound hopper. A few times in the past I forgot about a batch that I had milled a couple of months ago, and they turned into perfectly respectable beers.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Bad Munki posted:

I'm going to be within spitting distance of Cleveland this weekend, anyone know of any good homebrew supply places in the area? I'm having trouble googling up anything that's not just a brewery or brewpub etc.

I just moved to Cleveland, and there is only one that I know of, and it is pretty small. They have grains, but only a hand crank to grind it! Took my 25 minutes to grind up the grains for my IPA, so I buy online now. Its called Warehouse Beverage, and it is on Mayfield Road.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I have a Brown Ale that has been sitting on Brett L for about 3 months. After about 3 months more, I plan on pouring a Berliner Weisse on the yeast cake for a refreshing summer beer. I have seen a number of recipes, some involving mangos or watermelon. Any suggestions on recipes and/or fruit?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
An absolutely gorgeous day to be brewing a Mirror Pond Clone in Northern Ohio! The clone recipe calls for some gypsum, which I apparently have in my brewing supplies, but don't remember using in the last 5+ years of brewing. What does gypsum do to the beer? I know it is supposed to enhance hop flavors.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Just drank my first Belma hopped beer, a Mirror Pond clone. I have heard a lot of people say Strawberries are the main flavor, but I really taste honeydew melon or something. Like that tart, semi-citrusy taste.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
How skilled are the judges at State Fair Homebrewing competitions? Are they usually just local club guys, or are they BJCP trained individuals? I have a tower on my keg and no beer gun or counter pressure filler, should I just bottle condition with some Fizz Drops and hope for the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I have a really good Watermelon Wheat recipe that the ladies love. It would be even better if I could make it a deep red color to suit the fruit. I was thinking of going Schwarzbier on my recipe and crushing up 1-2 oz roasted barley in a coffee grinder, and adding it to the end of my mash to bump up the color a little bit. Has anyone done something similar?