Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

rockcity posted:

Bonus points: I tried out something I'd heard mention of on a podcast, I forget which one, that was mentioning that mash temp is basically the perfect temp for making sous vide eggs. I tossed a couple eggs into plastic bags in case they broke and dropped them into the mashing after doughing in. Pulled them out at the end of the mash and grilled up some sausages and toast and had myself quite a tasty breakfast for little effort. I definitely recommend trying it.

How did they turn out? I would like to try this some time! Just let them sit for an hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

ChickenArise posted:

I just tasted my 1gal coffee/cream ale experiment. I think it's going places. Great places.

Recipe?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

nullfunction posted:

Or making chicha...

:barf:

I have actually made Chicha this way. It is pretty good!

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I scored 6lbs of Pale LME the other day, and I have ~4oz of Simcoe hops in the freezer. I haven't done an extract pale in 5+ years. Anyone have a tried and true recipe for me?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Gratzer (smoked wheat ale)

A: whos made one?

B: is it supposed to smell and taste like a hot dog pre-carbing

I have made one, and tried a few others. I love them personally.

B: Absolutely! My first sip from a friends brew and I thought "Hot dogs" instantly, bun and all.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Not at all! I am not a BJCP certified judge by any means, but my palate picked up all the smokiness that one would get from BBQ some hot dogs, while the wheat in the beer served as the bun.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

robotsinmyhead posted:

I have the knockoff Thermapen from a company called Lavatools (check amazon). Seems pretty accurate and it's significantly cheaper.

In other news, I made my Black Masa IPA today. Between the masa flour and the insanely tight grind on my friend's mill, I ended up clogging the mash on the first runoff. I had to run home for my BIAB bag and lauter it that way. But, the fine grind had a significant effect on efficiency as far as I can tell. Shot for 1.063 @ 70% (kind of expected 75%) and finished at 1.080 which is like 88%. I guess I gotta let that ride because I don't want to water it down, but I'm likely going to have to pitch another pack of yeast on it.

I checked the last two pages but couldn't find a recipe for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Jo3sh posted:

Just for grins, I went back and looked at the first posts in the three home brewing threads we've been running. HBT1 was started by goon Mulaney Power Move on May 29, 2007 - more than nine years ago, and this one has been running almost five years itself.

poo poo, guys, we've been at this for almost a freaking decade.

Incredible! I have only been posting since maybe 2008