Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Running the beer through a hundred feet of stainless steel tubing uncoiled making a run or two through the pool would effectively get the beer to exactly pool temperature... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

baquerd posted:

This isn't true, the coldest water possible will chill your wort the quickest. That's just the laws of physics.

This is why I pump liquid nitrogen through an immersion chiller.

On a side note: anyone have any ideas for getting a 5 gallon wortsicle off an immersion chiller? :ohdear:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wattershed posted:

Well then it's just not efficient for me to use my ice up that fast. Also, I know cold running water is the fastest way to unthaw a chicken breast...perhaps REALLY cold running water is even faster!

Not efficient, sure, just because you'll go through a lot of ice, and if you're, say, buying your ice, that's money. As for your chicken breast, no, wrong again. Warm water will thaw it faster. It's just that if that water is too warm, it'll partially cook the chicken as well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Or is just simplifying things for the plebs to get it done without cocking it up too much?

Seriously, this is just basic thermodynamics.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyone got a wyeast/white labs conversion table they trust?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Angry Grimace posted:

The one on Mr. Malty is the only one I'm aware of that exists. http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Kristen England put the list together and he claimed to be reasonably certain of the conversion/origin of each yeast. (e.g. that WY XXXX = WL YYYY).

Right on, thanks!

Docjowles posted:

There's also our own rage-saq's YeastBot database, which owns.

:stare:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jo3sh posted:

if it's not the same yeast, it's pretending really, really well.

You know, I'm sure they do DNA comparisons against each other's strains regularly for IP reasons, but I'd be curious how often incidental similarities occur.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aww, man, I just bought that kit a couple weeks ago. :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Taste-tested my vanilla caramel cream ale today. That's some top-notch stuff there, although I might up the vanilla a little before I keg it. Can't wait for that batch to come online. :dance:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's a pretty simple recipe, really. 2.5 gallon partial boil extract recipe. This was the email I got:

quote:

Due to the interest in the recipe for the VCCA, here it is! Please keep in mind this is a partial boil extract recipe. Convert away! I use 2.5 gallons of water in the steep and the boil. The remaining volume is added in the primary fermenter.

Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale

1 lb Cara 60 (steeped at 155 for 30 minutes - not the British Cara)
3 lbs Extra Light DME (60 minutes)
3 lbs Light Wheat DME (15 minutes)
1 oz Cascade Whole Leaf (60 minutes)
1 oz Saaz pellets (20 minutes)
1 oz Tettnang pellets (flameout)
4 oz Lactose (15 minutes)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 minutes)
Wyeast 1007 German Ale
During primary fermentation, allowed to ferment around 58F for 3 weeks. Kegged at the end of 3 weeks.
Kegging / Bottling:

1 cup Lactose (dissolved and heated briefly in a small pot of water to sanitize – dump it all in the bottling bucket or keg along with the vanilla)
4 oz Vanilla Extract (used Penzey’s Regular Vanilla Extract – Madagascar)
5 oz Priming sugar dissolved in 16 oz water (only if bottling)
I used a less "special" vanilla extract, so I think it might not be as strong. I'm going to double what I put in there, I think that'll make it just about perfect. I also had to use cascade pellets instead of whole leaf.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 27, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Roundboy posted:

Eww vanilla extract? I might play with that using beans,etc

How sweet is it with all that lactose?

I have beans, but in my experience, getting a consistent vanilla flavoring is much more reliable with extract.

As for the lactose, I don't feel like the 4oz (1/2 cup) is really all that much, it's definitely not overpowering or anything, I hardly even notice it. The hops come through fairly strongly, I think with a little time it'll age and mellow into something even better. Provided the vanilla doesn't fall apart: I'm not sure how long the stuff I tried before had sat around in the keg and I have always thought of vanilla as a fairly "delicate" flavor. Not strawberry delicate, but in that direction.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Got my last few batches of beer all kegged up, got the freezer cleaned up, redid a bunch of the woodwork on it, all ready to go...and it's now cooling. :(

The compressor runs and sounds just fine, but it's not cooling the freezer. In fact, since the heat from the compressor is just radiating up through the wall under the hump, it's actually warming the inside of the freezer a few degrees. Really don't want to have to replace the thing. :negative:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I let it run overnight and it had gotten up to 78 by the following evening according to the controller's probe. :(

e: That's with 15 gallons of beer inside.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 8, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Roundboy posted:

i was all about throwing cherries in a beer, but recently i had a cherry ale that had WAYYY too much cherry. subtle is better.

edit: it was this in fact : http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/37400

That's funny, I was just the opposite. I never ever liked cherry beer. But this one sampler pack I keep getting because it has awesome stuff in it has 4 dark cherry ales, and I kept avoiding them, but it meant I had an absurd ratio of cherry beer in my fridge to other stuff. So I started drinking them just to make them go away, and this one, it's actually really good. I still wouldn't drink more than one in a sitting, but I totally don't mind starting off with one, it's not bad at all. It's from here, although I don't see it on their list of beers: http://www.eriebrewingco.com. Their Presque Isle Pilsner is excellent, though, and I love their APA and Wee Heavy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

(except I think it's brewed in PA)

No worries, I got ya covered in that case. I'll just head down to lake Erie and fill up a couple buckets for you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Freezer is absolutely dead. Guy said it was bone dry in there, and that there's a leak somewhere (I suspected) but the leak is inside the wall of the freezer somewhere. It'd cost a couple hundred to have it recharged anyhow, and there's no way to know if it would then run for a year or a day. So I guess I have some freezer shopping to do. :(

I'm hoping I can find one that is the same size. Then I could just pop the lid off the old one, put it on the new one, and I'm done.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

*This bochet may or may not contain chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of California

ALL chemicals are known by the state of California to cause cancer.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

McDonalds French Fries, not withstanding.

And to stay on topic. FRENCH FRY BEER and Hot Dog Beer Pairing :barf:

Don't forget the ketchup and mustard wines!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So, as mentioned, my freezer's totally dead. Problem is, I still have 3 kegs of beer and one batch that'll be coming online in a few weeks. I don't have near enough bottles to bottle all of them, but I'd really like at least a few bottles of each on hand. I've bottled from the keg before, but it's always been cold when I did so. Is it plausible to crank up the pressure enough to bottle at ~70 degrees, bottle from that, and then refrigerate my bottles? My thought it crank the pressure up to carbonate for a while, then drain off the pressure down to serving pressure on bottling day, freeze my bottles and bottling gear, fill a few bottles, cap, and refrigerate.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's why I'd drop the pressure to serving pressure for bottling. At that lower pressure, yeah, the beer would off-gas fairly quickly, but I'm wondering if it would just do so immediately, or if with good cold gear I could at least get it in the bottle with a fair amount of CO2 left in solution.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, I bought a new freezer to replace the old one that died. There's just nothing on craigslist in the size I need, only 7-8 cubic feet freezers available. So it ended up costing me $400, but I guess at least I know it'll last a good long while? Going to try to do this one in a way that won't void its warranty, so a collar this time around.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just got super extremely lucky.

New freezer showed up. The specs said it was the same size as my old one, but half an inch deeper from front to back. Which meant the lid I had very heavily modified on my old one wouldn't quite fit, and I'd basically have to re-do the entire thing or add some lovely shim-block between the hinges and lid, or something like that.

Well, it got here, they carried it down to my basement, and I measured it just to be sure. Turns out the specs were rounded, it is EXACTLY the same size as my old freezer. I just need to pop the lid off and set the old one in its place. The mounting holes for the hinges even line up. I'll have beer by tomorrow, with zero more dollars than I already spent on the freezer itself to get it working. :dance:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Man, I did the AK47 Pale Mild extract kit from NB. It tastes super watery, I don't know what went wrong, unless it's supposed to taste like that, in which case, :(

I'm considering just throwing some hops in a bag in the keg to try to liven it up a little, really anything would improve this beer. Any suggestions? Maybe like some hops and a chili pepper or something, hell if I know.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tonedef131 posted:

What yeast did you use? I make ordinary Milds all the time, and they are more about the yeast than anything. I have pretty much stopped serving them out of kegs too. I've had numerous people tell me they don't really like that beer out of a keg then they try it two weeks later when I tap a cask of the very same beer at a party and they rave about it. I have a sneaking suspicion that is why that style has fallen out of favor with beer drinkers, they just don't take well to being served on draft.

I used whichever wyeast strain it was that they recommended with the kit. I feel like something must have gone wrong for this particular lackluster flavor, but it was an extract kit and I didn't end up with any extra (or missing) ingredients, so I just don't know, maybe it's just an intensely boring recipe.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey home-brew thread, long time no see. (I've been out for, like, >3000 posts now?)

Can we talk jockey boxes real quick? I'd like one with two taps, but man, they jump up to like $300 bucks at that point. Any preferred sources? I can assemble it myself from parts, too, that's fine, just not sure if that's the best route. Also, is a 50' coil basically required, and these cheaper 25' options I'm seeing a foolish thing to consider?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know what but I joined because someone quoted a thing and here I am again so *toot toot* all aboard.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just found out a keg of my beer has been requested at an event tonight. I don't have any kegs with more than a gallon or two in them at the moment, but I do have a batch that's been waiting to be kegged for some time. Is there any chance I can make it ready enough in the next 7 hours? I know you can over-pressure the beer when it's chilled and speed-carb it, but I never know what a good pressure is to make that work. Also, the beer is not yet cold.

So I'm thinking maybe submerge the keg in an ice bath, under extra-high pressure, like maybe 40-60psi? Higher? If anyone's done this before, feel free to chime in.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Right, agitation, forgot to put that on my short list.

Man, how the heck am I going to get anywhere near the right amount of CO2 dissolved in, though. I feel like it's absolutely destined to be way too much or way too little.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Two minutes? Wha? That's it?

The stuff I've read has the keg getting agitated every 20 minutes for a while. Or is that supposed to be at a lower pressure, and when doing it at higher pressure, you just need a brief dissolving period?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All right, I got the keg down to 40 degrees, pushed the pressure up to 40psi, laid it down and agitated it around for a few minutes, let it settle briefly, blew off the excess pressure and put it back to serving pressure (like 12psi) and now it's sitting in the ice bath settling out for the next few hours under serving pressure. We'll see how it goes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, the beer was cold before I attempted to carb it thanks to the ice bath, so there's at least that. I might see what happens if I pour some in about an hour and then go from there.

I already told the hosts of the event from the get-go that they should absolutely have a backup plan, so no harm if it doesn't work, but I'll still do my best. ;)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jo3sh posted:

Wouldn't mounting CO2 sideways result in LCO2 in the regulator? I don't actually know if that's a bad thing, and I know lots of paintball guns do it without issues, so I'm guessing I'm seeing issues where none exist.

Yeah, it would, and generally when you start to get too much liquid CO2 in your paintball gun, it gets lovely and goes a little haywire. Usually if it's horizontal CO2, it's at least mounted at an angle. If it's actually horizontal, it's almost certainly HPA.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As long as there's liquid CO2 in the tank, the gauge will more or less hold steady throughout the entire bottle. Then, once the last of the liquid goes to gas, the pressure begins to drop precipitously. The way to actually track how much CO2 you have remaining is by weight. As ChickenArise said, the second gauge isn't really useful (for CO2, anyhow).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hi Homebrewing Thread, long time no see! Just popping in to share a thing:

Tired of your plain old black plastic faucet flanges? Looking to add a little more pizzazz to your pour? No problem, just install one of these instead!

"Why would I do that?" you ask.

BECAUSE I WANNA TAKE YOU TO A GAY BAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS5wK8aAKrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQayp7Xf5jA

As always with LEDs, the pictures and videos don't do it justice, as it's all overexposed on account of the LEDs being so drat bright. In person, it's insanely vibrant and prrreeeettttyyyy. Each flange has 16 individually addressable RGB LEDs, they're chainable, or can be run from separate controls. In this case (see the last video), I'm running it as 8 separate strips (i.e. 8 control pins) on a teensy 3.0, with an external power supply of course. In the above example I just have everything doing the rainbow swirl, but there's nothing stopping them from all doing different things, whatever that may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jo3sh posted:

Didn't you also have a handle you had made from a giant floppy dildo? You ought to get a translucent dildo and set up a string of LEDs inside it so that it pulses throbs with lights as well.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Also, I am 100% for this.

nullfunction posted:

:allears:

Amazing. Got a link to these?

Unfortunately, nope. They're a custom job, I 3D printed the flanges themselves in translucent ABS. The LED rings are these LED rings from Adafruit and they are so, so good. Also very conveniently sized, since I drew up my initial prototype without them in mind and it j just turned out they were a perfect fit when I ran across them by happenstance. After that, you need something to drive them, so like an arduino or similar (I used a teensyduino, my platform of choice for everything arduino-related.)

I guess if a person wanted, I'd be happy to print some more of these off, but you'd be on the hook for soldering the LED ring wires (there are only three of them to worry about, it's a pretty easy job) and putting some program to do whatever you want on the arduino/whatever other controller you like.

It also requires making a small notch in the hole the shank goes through in your bar, but that's super minor and takes about ten seconds with a dremel. Only needs to provide about 1/8" x 1/16" to give the wires a place to go.