Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Looking for a good drip coffee maker, but can't drop $300 on a Technivorm?

Check out the $80 Zojirushi Fresh Brew.

• Stylish automatic coffee brewer with 1.5-liter thermal carafe
  • Stainless-steel carafe keeps coffee hot for hours
  • 1025 watts; electronic clock/timer with preset function; auto shut-off for safety
  • Clever brew-and-serve lid design; easy-to-read water gauge
  • Measures 15 by 12 by 9 inches; 1-year warranty

Seems to perform better with chilled, not cold, water. Fits the normal gold cone filter if you should want that. Enjoy!

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm spending today getting used to my Freshroast SR500. The Sweet Maria's tipsheet is completely inaccurate from what I've been doing, maybe my outlets aren't putting out sufficient electricity?

Found that my best roast so far is: 1/3 cup. Med-High fan. 1 minute on Low, 30sec Cool, and 4.9min on Med. Nice C+ at that time.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can someone recommend storage containers for green and for roasted coffee?

Thanks.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

rockcity posted:

Does anyone have any home roaster recommendations? I've done a couple batches via the hot air popcorn popper method, but my popper got knocked off of the counter and broke and I was thinking about going to an actual roaster. From a quick skim of the few affordable options (sub $200) it seems like the FreshRoast SR500 is the best viewed option. Does anyone have any experience with it or anything else in that price range?

I bought the SR500 used from Sweet Maria's with 8lb of coffee.

I loving love it.

My sweet spot seems to be 1/3 cup beans (dry measuring cup), Fan at 3/4 (white line pointing horizontally to the right). 1 minute on Low, Cool for 30 sec, restart on Medium. That's a nice hands-off roast that hits a good level on basically everything I've roasted with it. I can tweak per bean really easily, just watching and listening does it.

I can't recommend it enough.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

GrAviTy84 posted:

grind up some rice in the grinder.

Uncooked. :haw:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Officer No Gun posted:

Serious eats did a write up of coffee shops in Philly earlier this year, and there's more recommendations in the comments.
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/best-coffee-philadelphia-guide-where-to-drink-coffee-in-philly.html

Great list. Personally I used to buy from Old City Coffee, they have a space in Reading Terminal Market and a shop in Old City. They're great.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

...that looks like nobody even attempted to clean it. Absolutely unacceptable, that's "heavily used" not "refurbished".

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Rids! posted:

Okay I thought capsules and pods were the same thing. When did coffee become so complicated.
I'm looking at a little Nespresso machine.
Also I live in Australia so it'll need to be a relatively mainstream brand for me to find it.
All opinions appreciated.

Ironically complicated to make lovely fast coffee easier.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

http://www.baristaguide.com/coffee-industry-directory/coffee-roasters/portugal

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Yeah I just googled 'portugal roasters', my bad.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Neptr posted:

I just got a French press for my birthday and it makes a drat good coffee.

How the hell do you clean it?

Water?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

So I apparently just lost my second Freshroast SR500. My first came from Sweet Maria's not working -- plugged in, no lights, wont turn on. Got a replacement and its been working for months, until today. Same symptoms as the previous. Is this a known issue with the 500? Anyone have suggestions on fixing it? Now I have 2 dead SR500 bodies to play with so I don't mind cracking one open.

Also can someone suggest a comparable roaster if i need to buy one?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Uhh it just turned on so nevermind I guess? Maybe I can get the old one running too...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Any recommendation on electric kettles with programmed temps? Or is a regular kettle and a thermometer easier/better?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bob_McBob posted:

There is no reason to buy a fancy temperature-controlled kettle for coffee. If you want to get a new electric kettle, you'd be much better off buying something like the Bonavita, which has some serious utility for pourover. I assume you have some sort of kitchen thermometer. Just check approximately how long it takes to get to your chosen temperature after boiling, and keep that in mind for future reference.

Thanks on that, and thanks to everyone else too. I'm trying to pick out some equipment for an at work setup and thought a temp controlled kettle might simplify. Ill probably end up using a CCD or French press so I guess timing the cooldown is pretty easy and both of those methods are somewhat forgiving.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bob_McBob posted:

The new Bonavita thermal carafe brewer seems quite promising.

That thing is gorgeous... My Zoji might be 'breaking' soon.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

origami posted:

Are there other drip coffee makers you all could recommend? The amazon reviews on this gear make me pretty apprehensive.

What issues are the reviews talking about? There's a factory defect where the water leaks: just return it to Amazon, you'll know the first time you put water in it. The carafe needs to be lined up with the pouring nozzle too, but as long as you set it in there right its fine.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Keyser S0ze posted:

Hario has a V60 02 coffee pot (I have one) and it has markings for 5 cups or 600ml. It is too much for an 02 filter but the larger 03 filter you can run up to 5 cups into it. The 03 pot holds 800ml

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitchen?_encoding=UTF8&node=1055398&field-brandtextbin=Hario

I ran a full 8 cups through the Bonavita and had two thermometers in the water and grounds and it was hitting 195, again it doesn't get up to that temp until after the 4th cup.

Thank you for testing the Bonavita (and saving me from buying it three days ago out of gearlust). I wonder how the SCAA certified it if it has such a long warmup? That doesn't sound like appropriate behavior IMO.. I think the drip machine needs a redesign like those guys on Kickstarter who did the PID Espresso machine.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

*pops into the Beer thread*

I JUST DRANK A 40 OF OLDE ENGLISH gently caress BEER THIS SUCKS

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

mystes posted:

Can anyone who's used a Freshroast or similar machine indoors report on the levels of smoke produced? I've previously roasted coffee using an air popper and was able to manage the smoke by sticking the popper next to a fan by a window but I don't think this will work in my current apartment.

"Smoke" like when you burn something on the stove is IMO not there, it's not a visible cloudiness. There's a distinct aroma that fills the air, but I wouldn't call it "smoky". I run my FR500 under the vent hood of my oven and that handles it, mostly. I generate more smoke when I cook on cast iron.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Astronaut Jones posted:

Oof, I want one.

$400? Are they loving high?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I was in Starbucks the other day (because I still drink their sugarwater stuff, can't stop that addiction) and the barista offered "light roast, medium roast, or dark roast" to the guy in front of me. He chose dark roast, I cowered in fear.

They actually introduced a loving darker roast along with the blond. Dear god.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Bonavita is pretty much inarguably better.

The Zoji is nice for a cheap auto-drip.

Pregrinding and setting a timer for brewing (the next morning?) defeats the purpose of using fresh ground coffee.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I posted a brief review of that maker on the first page of this thread, it's the only auto-drip I'd buy***

***barring the recently released Bonavita machines, thermal carafe or a ($400) Technivorm

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

...rape camp?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

what is this posted:

I need to order fresh roasted beans for work. Right now we're buying locally and it's a pain in the butt.

We do maybe 2lbs per week. What's a good site that's not expensive for bulk orders?

Sweet Maria's

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Whalley posted:

I had a customer the other day who bought one of these then came in and informed me that my expresso don't got much crema, and since he bought one of them verismo starbucker machines, he gets to make expresso out of pods that gives him six inches of crema.

:sigh:

That's a joke, right? gently caress.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

He's suggesting you blend 1/3 stick of butter into a mug of coffee. Jesus christ.

the comments posted:

Just got back from a Caribbean cruise. Stuffed myself all week. All the lobster, steak, eggs, pork, chicken, prime rib, etc. I could eat. And I got some stares for putting the butter in coffee -- I used at least 6-8 pats of butter every day.

Did not do much exercise, either. Mostly caught up on reading & sitting in a hot tub.

Lost one pound.

:)

He seriously has people thinking they can lose weight and get healthy by eating what the gently caress ever, but being sure to add pure butter to their diet.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 1, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hey, hey, don't bring bacon fat into this

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

watery... yet there's a smack of brown

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

crikster posted:

I gave up coffee/caffeine, starting today :( The afternoon crash and drain is getting in the way of my productivity. Replacing with fresh chamomile, passion flower, a Greek mountain tea, and something weird called Ashwagandha tincture. Maybe this stuff helps your mellow. Maybe it tastes good with a teaspoon of lard. Other then that, I reckon Coffee withdrawals are merely psychosemantic and to normal people, no coffee is no big deal.

Please also give up posting stupid 'alternative health' poo poo ITT

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 5, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

mystes posted:

I think Crikster took the "hot brown water" thing a little bit too literally. This thread probably isn't the place for beverages brewed from leaves, although the inclusion of roasted roots may be permitted on occasion.

For content, I am drinking a bad cappucino from a starbucks clone chain coffee shop right now. It's too bad, since DC has couple of good coffee shops, they just aren't located close enough to where I work.

Bring an electric kettle, hand grinder, and clever coffee dripper/pourover cone/aeropress to work you filthy heathen.

This post is sarcastic, I buy poo poo sugarmilk drinks from Starbucks all the time

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Archer2338 posted:

How do you guys store your roasted beans? Is it worth it to invest in one of those vacuum-pump equipped storage boxes, or is it okay to store them in the bags they were shipped in (with the valves) if I'm going to use it in 1-2 weeks?

I bought a canister with a one-way valve from Sweet Maria's for a few bucks. I think anything more than that is probably mostly voodoo, but who knows.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

geetee posted:

Does anyone have the Bodum Bistro grinder? I can't seem to make a good pour over cup and I want to blame it on an inconsistent grind rather than my (likely) incompetence. I feel like I've tried every possible variation on grind size, quantity and temperature. Tried a variety of beans too. There always is this lingering astringency at the top of my mouth.

It's "not bad". Definitely not as good as anything from Baratza, but if you can get it for a decent price it's alright. It's fine for drip, pour over, french press.. obviously not espresso.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Coffee beans in danger of extinction

:ohdear:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Martello posted:

Has anyone used the new Bodum Bistro b.over? It looks pretty cool, although I'm not sure it's better than the Technivorm Moccamaster which I already own. I'm not really looking to buy it I'm just curious.

Saw it in a store. Definitely not Techni quality.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Doh004 posted:

I need to order more green coffee from Sweet Marias. I ordered some Brazilian and Kenyan coffee last time and they were great. I want to try two different regions now. I know I like Ethiopian and dislike Indian coffees, so I'd be open to suggestions!

Rwanda.

Or chickencheese.

Also thanks Gravity, now I'm going to go buy a Bonavita. Jerk.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

GrAviTy84 posted:

lol :hfive:

So it brews pretty well! Fast ~3 min or so, which was one thing I was worried about (overextraction). Brewed 900 mL for me and the wife this morning -> 50g of coffee, fresh roasted Philippine Barako. The thermal carafe is pretty well designed, glass lined, the lid has a quick open lever so you don't need to unscrew or whatever and can be operated with one hand. Handle feels a skosh on the flimsy side, but not terribly so and only feels that way when full of liquid. 2nd cup was still plenty hot for my tastes, forgot to measure temp though.

Stop it. My hand is reaching for my wallet. STOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Green Coffee is good for 15 months
Roasted Coffee is good for 15 days
Ground Coffee is good for 15 minutes