Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I am aware that cheap espresso grinders are garbage. That being said, I have an EC155 and need a similar priced grinder to go with it.

I had an Ariete 3107 grinder pro, which worked well enough for my needs, but it completely died in 6 months.

Is there something that’s reasonably ok at the $50-$100 price point? Or at least what’s the best of that price range? Ideally it’d also grind for drip, but I can take or leave that aspect if I have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hypnophant posted:

Niche is a uk company; how are there brexit-related taxes? :britain:

As bandire points out, it’s a pressurized basket machine so any old grinder (or even pre-ground) will work. Refurb baratza encore is close to your price range and will work great for both drip and pressurized-basket espresso, so if you can save up for a bit that’s the one to go for.

Ended up just buying an encore new from crate and barrel cause they had it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone know where I can get a non-pressurized basket for the ec155? Struggling to find anything on google, and I’d rather not hack up the one I have.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Seems to only work on the ec155 if you cut the plastic off the bottom of the portafilter. Thanks though.

Sucks that this thing uses a weird basket.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I’m the one that was asking about a non-pressurized basket for the EC155.

Got this

https://www.espressoparts.com/products/la-pavoni-europiccola-professional-millennium-model-double-shot-basket

And bent up the lip. Holds a much larger dose too.

Between that, getting a better grinder (thanks thread for the encore recommendation), and some knowledge from coffee daddy Hoffman, the difference in the shots out of this thing is loving unreal.

Moved from acceptable, but frequently quite bitter, to very good.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Anyone else feel that they don't like drinking coffee from a thermos flask? I don't know whether this is just sensory memory associations fooling me or if a thermos can genuinely make the taste experience worse, albeit indirectly.

Check out the zojirushi with the coating (not the raw stainless steel).

In addition to insane temperature retention, I find that as long as you’re using a bottle brush to clean it it barely holds onto smell. I exclusively drink coffee out of it and can still get away with water even with just a rinse.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Is Mistobox worth trying? Are there better options at a similar price point?

Generally buy my stuff at the grocery store, but I do shop at whole foods in NYC so I generally have access to a decent selection. Thinking of trying a subscription so I can get stuff that's more fresh and get forced to try different stuff. While I'm in NYC I'm deep out, so getting stuff from a local roaster weekly in shop is difficult.

Extra info:
- Entirely espresso with a very basic setup (Non-pressurized EC-155 w/ an Encore)
- Generally like Dark/Medium, but haven't tried a ton of light (and I imagine light would be hard with my setup)
- Ideally looking for around $17 per bag shipped.
- I go through a bag in 7-10 days (closer to 10 most times)

Variety is the name of the game here, I want some different poo poo all of the time, and don't mind fiddling with dialing in a bit.

Trade seems good, but expensive.
Mistobox seems pretty on the nose.
Bottomless seems nice, but their site isn't very transparent about cost and I don't trust companies who do that.
Wasn't sure who else I should be looking at.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Definitely open to individual roasters as long as that’s good variety each week and the price is good.

Edit: drift away seems neat, and I like their sustainability message and supporting a local NYC roaster.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 11, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

leekster posted:

So I can't order a Niche where I live. I've asked distributors here and Zero themselves but no joy. What's the next best grinder to get then? I'm looking for something comparable.

Where do you live?

There’s typically shipping services if you’re close to a service region that for a small fee will receive the shipment and forward it to you.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Stupid Decisions posted:

Any reason ground coffee has started to stick to my grinder (1zpresso jx), aeropress and funnel?

I got some coffee from a different roaster and it is a bit darker than I would normally pick. The beans look very slightly oiliy?

I don't think it is moisture as tapping everything gets it to move. And I can brush off with a tissue or cleaning brush.
Just haven't had it before.

Darker roast = more surface oil (and sooner) = more clumping and sticking.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

There’s someone on a local marketplace offering a “lightly used, fully working” BES840XL (at least I think it’s that based on the image) for $190.

Is this worth it? I’m currently using a Delonghi Ec155 with an Encore grinder. I wouldn’t want a further grinder upgrade, and I’d probably see if they’d bite at $150 for it.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 25, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Jump on it. You don't need to upgrade from your Encore, you just need to replace the burr in it with the Virtuosa one for $30 and an hour of your time.

Thanks.

Still worth it even if I can’t get them to budge below $200?

And can I limp by without the burr upgrade for a while?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

amenenema posted:

FWIW 18g takes about 60 "turns" so maybe some of it is just how fast ya wanna crank.

Wait

Listen kid, ya wrist and elbow movements need work.

Gonna need ya to practice.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yesssss I was able to snag that BES840XL for $200. Getting it on Wednesday.

Very excited. Anything I should be preparing to do by buying a used machine, or for this machine in particular?

First and so far only thing on my list is a descale.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Got my BES840XL today. Has everything (the person even included filters and cleaning tablets). Only thing it seems to be missing is “the razor” thing. Is that worth it or is it stupid gimmick stuff?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hypnophant posted:

get a puck rake/wdt tool instead

what are you dosing and what are you getting out?

also stop using that distributor. you should also get a puck rake/wdt tool

Any suggestions on a specific tool or style of tool? Looking to not spend too much as the little things with this hobby are always so drat expensive.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Thanks whoever posted upthread about portafilter temp making shots take way longer.

I was really struggling with my new Breville Infuser to get anything even comparable to my EC155. Every shot was either way too quick or I was only getting like 10g of liquid. but pushing the portafilter temp up fixed it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

e: sorry thought I was posting in TCC

Judging by the above post, you clearly posted in the right place.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

So in researching the burr upgrade for my encore, I came across the stepless mod.

Which lead me to someone who built an adjustment pin to convert it from a 40 step to an 80 step.

Someone 3D printed a bunch and I’m gonna try it out. The weak spot for me so far on the grinder is not enough steps to dial in (I end up getting stuck dialing by dose once I hit the limit) so I’m excited to try this out. I wasn’t a fan of the slip risk with stepless so this feels like a really good compromise.

I’ll probably upgrade the burrs later.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Is there a link for that ~someone~ or was this just a friend? I gave my son a Virtuoso, but you know the caveat re: a finer dial-in system.

edit- having used a Preciso for a few years, I think a scale of 80 would do fine.

https://reddit.com/r/espresso/comments/ovivzb/3d_printable_doublestep_adjustment_pin_for/

This person sent me 2 for :10bux: (cause they didn’t test it long term so they’re unsure of durability). If you look at the linked original post, the person who originated the idea just chopped up a piece of plastic, but I didn’t feel like loving with that.

I still don’t have it yet so I can’t give you a trip update yet.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Loved my OXO 9 cup before I decided I hate money and went espresso.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

The pre-dosed idea rocks. My girlfriend made me an advent calendar. For each day, there is a drug baggy with a pre-dosed 15g of beans, a whole bunch of different ones. Dosing is imo the most annoying part of coffee making, so that rules.

She also found decaf beans that taste really, really nice.

I actually really wanna do the pre dose thing for my wife.

She’ll never weigh out poo poo, and I’ve got a semi-auto so I can control water amount, but I wanted to make little pods for ease of use.

Anyone have suggestions for containers? I’d probably pre-grind it because she’s a heathen and won’t grind it herself.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

eke out posted:

mandatory hoffmann link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8eYs2vxT-8

i have the oxo 9 cup one and it's quite solid but a little above that range at ~$200, as are i think most in this category. it's definitely a lot better than cheapo mr. coffee type things though, gets hotter, maintains temperature better during brewing, will do a nice bloom, has good water dispersion, etc.

I also love my 9 cup. They go for $160-200 depending.

Currently the 8 cup (considered very similar) is $175 on Amazon.

OXO Brew 8 Cup Coffee Maker, Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9G93WK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JK4VZD6ZX9CE372QRAPK

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

You need to smoke that :eng101:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ran out of my fancy subscription beans, and out of desperation bought something from the grocery store to hold me over.

Got these Lavazza light roast beans that claim

“Roasted in Italy”
“Beans from non-EU source”

No other details. Just from a non-EU place. I’m going to assume they were grown in Antarctica.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bolind posted:

Ah, yes, EU. Major producer and exporter of coffee beans.

I also once bought some Lavazza in desperation, and I could never ever make them brew properly. Probably a year old. gently caress that.

For me it’s either that or no coffee until Tuesday when my sub stuff comes.

I was able to somehow get a 17g in, 35g out in 29 sec with them on the second try, but it still tasted awful. But it’s caffeine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nwin posted:

Eh it’s annoying, but not to that point. I was just testing the waters to see if there’s anything better out there with the bonus of being quiet for around the same price point.

What I don’t like is that I’ve broken three of the burr collars in the past 2 years. They’re a sacrificial part and only cost $4, but there’s no way to tell it’s broken unless I take note of the grind quality or give it a cleaning…then I hope I have a spare collar lying around which I usually don’t. I just ordered two of them so at least I have a backup. I’m thinking it’s being caused by grinding 200g once a week for my wife’s cold brew.

The Ode looks pretty good…could run into the same issues though perhaps. I just don’t see grinding 200g a go in the wheelhouse of home grinders…maybe I’m wrong.

Do you grind like 200g straight?

My understanding is these kinds of grinders do not have the ability to run that much at once. I’d probably do like 50g at a time with 10 min in between and see how it goes.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

Is there a thread consensus on what non-espresso grinder to get these days? It looks like the OP hasn't been updated in a while.

I've started actually using my Aeropress at home and realized I really need to get a proper non-blade grinder.

I've been thinking of trying v60 or clever dripper as well, but I have no interest in trying to do espresso at home so I don't need a grinder that goes espresso-fine.

Most of what I see online seems to suggest that the Baratza Encore is a quite good entry level grinder for non-espresso immersion / percolation brew methods, and that it's basically not worth bothering with the sub-$150 burr grinders because they're so inconsistent you might as well be using a blade grinder, is that about right?

Is there another grinder in the $150-$250 range that comes highly recommended?

I have an encore I use for espresso.

Could I do better? Sure, but the grinder is absolutely fantastic for the money IMO. You can also get a $30 burr kit and upgrade the burrs (this is endorsed by baratza themselves).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

I told my family I was making fancy coffee and asked for beans knowing full well what I’d get lol. And oh my god after drinking some well roasted coffee the last few weeks I finally get why everyone says Starbucks beans are burnt. Holy poo poo

It’s real nice enjoying good tasting coffee, but it 100% ruins Starbucks and lovely grocery store beans.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Wang Commander posted:

Got a link to the burr kit?

https://baratza.com/encore-upgrade-gb2-0/

I haven’t done it yet but this thread has recommended it and I see people all over saying it’s worth it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

In the meantime you can reduce your coffee dose off the 60s shot setting to get closer to balance 👍

This is what I do to dial with my encore.

Start with 18g (my BES840XL basket is too small for more @53mm), find the point where I first start to choke, then reduce the dose until I hit 1:2/2.5, 30 seconds.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Hoffman video is a good reference.

The gist of it is tasting notes for coffee are key words for certain taste traits (acid, bitter, fermented, sweet, etc) and their intensity. As an example, a lemon note would indicate a very large amount of acidity, while a peach (or other stone fruit) would indicate less acidity, but acidity still present.

With bitter notes (chocolate, toffee, etc) you would expect no acidity at all.

Also, there is a very large taste disparity in coffee. It is genuinely incredible how different different coffees can taste. However, that effect is fully lost the darker you roast it. It’s generally why speciality or expensive coffees are mostly light roasted, you lose tons of character and unique flavor when you get to medium dark/dark/starbucks.

If you really wanna understand, buy a bunch of different light roast coffees, don’t add any sugar, and try them all at the same time.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Brut posted:

Through some odd but uninteresting circumstances I have come to own an old Delonghi EC5 espresso machine, it has no controls besides an on/off switch, a steam spout thingy that I think has never been used, and some scaling visible on the neck of the water container, but otherwise seems to be in okay shape.

I tried using it a couple times with the "Lavazza" coffee that was with it and while I enjoyed the process, I have some complaints.

First, I suspect the coffee itself is quite bad, the solution to this is obviously to buy good coffee, easy enough, now I would need to grind that coffee, with this old machine in mind (if that matters) what's the cheapest I can get away with here? $30~ for one of those plastic hario things? something like this says it has a stainless steel burr rather than a ceramic one, but are the 6 huge steps a dealbreaker? The next step would be about $60 for a Timemore C2, right? Or is it pointless to get any of those for this purpose?

Second, the portafilter/basket holder is plastic and I hate it, can I just swap it out for a metal one? I can't quite tell if these things have common threading and I just need to make sure the size is right, I believe it's 51mm on this thing but I'm not 100% sure. Looking at something like this, there's a bunch on Amazon that seem similar all from bullshit-sounding brands, I dunno if there's a more reputable source/name in this or if this would even fit at all though.

Is there anything else I can do to get a good experience out of this machine? Alternatively if doing so is hopeless, I'd like to know that too.

This was my start machine.

Were you using the lavazaa pre ground for espresso? That stuff works, but it’s just acceptable. What you really need is an espresso caliber grinder to grind fine enough, which is $$$, even for a hand grinder. I don’t know my grinders well so I’m not the one to help.

As far as the portafilter, I know it sucks. But frankly, Investing that money into a better machine may be more worth your time. I do not believe the one you linked is compatible.

Here’s my advice. Get some descaling solution and descale the thing (I’d run two full descale cycles).

Take off the shower screen (the metal screen where the portafilter meets the body of the machine) and clean that/under there.

Disassemble the basket (it unscrews, use a butter knife if needed) and clean all that poo poo out. It’s probably gross as hell.

After all that, try the lavazza pre ground again. But this time, play with how much you put into the portafilter by weight. If I remember correctly, ~14g was a good spot for that coffee. And tamp the hell out of it, just make sure it’s flat. Always use the bigger basket.

If it’s sour, more coffee. If it’s bitter less.

The descale is the most important part. You will not believe the difference it makes.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Brut posted:

Yeah I was using pre ground stuff from a tin, I know I need a grinder (or to always custom order preground espresso/fine grind) but I was hoping to only spend $$ and not $$$.

Appreciate the cleaning advice, it's not actually as gross as you might think as the machine basically only saw use about 3-4 weeks out of any year since whenever it was purchased, but I'll still get to it. How does descaling work, do I just pour stuff in there and flip it upside down later or does it actually have to run through the machine somehow? I've seen reference to descaling/cleaning modes on some more fancy machines but obviously this has none of that.

I think I only have one basket, it's got markings for 2 about halfway and 4 near the top, presumably that's the big one? I've just been following the matching markings on that and on the water container, should I just be going with weighing both the coffee and the water, and ignoring what the machine says?

I haven't really thought about buying a better machine for the same reason that I didn't think of buying one at all before this fell in my lap, I've been mostly "grinding" coffee with a Magic Bullet and making it with absolutely no measuring in an cheap old Cuisinart drip coffee thing, so my standards are pretty low.

That being said, I know how these things go, so quote this post at me in 6 months when I'm talking about whatever dumb poo poo I spent money on.

E: Also, on the subject of dose, I see 1:2 mentioned a lot, does that mean I'm literally only pouring in 28 grams of water in to the machine if I'm putting 14 grams of coffee in the basket? That seems like a tiny amount of liquid and way below the indicator lines on the carafe, but I guess the machine won't explode?

Get some descaling solution (I like liquid dezcal)

Urnex Liquid Dezcal Activated Descaler - 33.6 Ounce - For Use With Coffee Brewers Espresso Pod and Capsule Machines Kettles Garmet Steamers and Domestic Irons https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NRZ6F0/

Follow bottle instructions for water/solution mix.

Fill the entire tank with the mixture and turn on the brew without the portafilter. Run it in like 20-30 second intervals on and off until your clear all the water. Intermittently also run water out the steam wand, even if it’s never been used. There will be scale buildup on that valve.

For this first time I’d do that twice, then run a full tank water only to clear out the solution.

As far as dose, this machine is hard because clearance is so small. The general rule of thumb is

1 (coffee in):2-2.5 (liquid out) by weight, in as close to 30 seconds as possible (above or below is bad).

This is usually achieved by weighting the shot as it comes out , but that’s impossible with your machine. You also can’t preweigh the water because the machine won’t get the dregs at the bottom of the tank, and you’re weighing the water PLUS dissolved coffee at the end.

My workflow on that machine was fill water tank, then

1. Weigh coffee

2. Tare scale to empty cups

3. Pull shot for 30 seconds.

4. Weigh shots and see how close you are to 1:2.5

Adjust coffee amount by weight until you hit near 1:2 or so. I found that machine had better results at 1:2.5 in general, especially cause the baskets are small. Less coffee if below 1:2, more coffee if above.

Never change the 30 seconds. If you get a grinder you can keep try adjusting grind instead of coffee weight, but unless you spend $150+ on a grinder that’s going to be hard.

This is the single basket

Delonghi 7313285829 Small 1 Cup Filter Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DHHF3I/

The double is significantly higher from the rubber seal. The single basket sucks.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Brut posted:

So I'm turning the machine on, starting a timer when the coffee starts coming out, and then just hitting the power button after 30 seconds? I do have a small scale I could fit under there so I could weigh the shot as it's coming out, unless sitting on the little drain grate would mess it up.

Ordered that Dezcal stuff, seems cheap enough especially with the 45% Subscribe & Save discount, and my kettle could use descaling too, hopefully one bottle is enough for now.

Appreciate all this advice, I will continue to accept all of it, though my wallet may not.

You will use like 2-3 TBSP per descale abs the bottle is huge.

You would do exactly as you described.

If you can fit the scale with the glass, it’s better to shoot for the 1:2.5 weight ratio and adjust based on how close you can get to 30 second brew time for that weight.

The trick is to keep everything exactly the same except a single variable.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Using this for espresso, and holy poo poo is it good. Incredible.

It’s the first time I’ve got something that has a truly funky tasting note (watermelon) that I could actually pick out and genuinely has that taste.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone have a subscription recommendation that has lots of natural, fruity stuff that rotates a ton?

I’m currently subscribed to drift away, and I like their model and pricing a lot (new coffees every month, ability to customize bag size and delivery schedule, small scale independent, giving back to farmers) but now that I’ve been using them for a few months they haven’t done very many natural processed roasts.

My ideal is lots of natural processed options with a heavy rotation so I get to try something new all of the time. I’m not the kind of person that finds a bag and uses it for 6 months.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Gonna do a descale and backflush tomorrow back to back on my Breville infuser. Is there an order I should go in?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is James Hoffmann on a well deserved vacation and will come back with more content or have we reached the end of the third wave?

Was probably holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Megabound posted:

I generally prefer a medium roast as I primarily drink espresso and can't really push ratios above 1:2, which is often desirable for a light roast.

Yeah I’ve been very much enjoying light roasts as espresso as long as I’m pulling like 1:2.5/3. But I also really like light roast, acidic, fruity natural coffees.