Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Robot pull

18g in, a little less than 2:1 out. Maybe I stopped pulling a little early but it tasted good.

]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Gunder posted:

Finally took the plunge and ordered a Lagom P64. Not sure what to do with my Niche once it arrives (mid-May apparently). Never thought I'd spend so much money on something like this, but I guess I already own a Bianca!

Where did you order it from?

I had put my email in for the restock notification at Prima Coffee but haven't seen an email.

What burrs did you choose?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Gunder posted:

SSP multipurpose. Ordered it direct from Option O.

Have you taken delivery yet? I really want a Lagom P64-- and I had planned to buy one using proceeds from an employee referral bonus when I got a friend a job. Now, it turns out I'm probably not getting that bonus because an internal recruiter had apparently contacted him first.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This is exactly how I justified my Niche.

And that's why I'm so mad. I had already spent this theoretical money in my head.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've tried putting my espresso cup in the freezer before brewing with my Robot, and I'm honestly not sure if it really improved or changed anything. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't suddenly way better than other shots I've pulled.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
My Vario W (with steel burrs) really seems to create a LOT of fines, despite trying to improve the alignment.

I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to sell it and replace it with something like the Fellow Ode with SSP burrs for pour overs. Is that a good idea? Bad idea? No idea what the resale value of my Vario W would be, but it's a thought.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I was gifted the metal V60 brewer. Sometimes I'll put it over the lid of my kettle to heat it up but I usually just heat it with water when I rinse the filter. I've never noticed a difference in coffee quality when doing either, honestly.

What I am unhappy about is that Hario apparently changed the filters. I used to use the made in Japan one that came in the 40ct box. When I reordered them a few weeks ago they have changed to a tabbed filter which seems to flow differently and something about the seam causes it to splash a lot more as it drains and I get little drops of coffee all over my counter.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Klades posted:

Behold: https://cafecusa.com/pages/paper-filters

I think this company used to make filters for hario? I've been using them for at least a year or so now and I've had much better luck than gambling on hario branded ones. They've got a bunch of different filters that are supposed to be better for different types of coffee, but I just use the Abaca+ filters. They seem to have better flow and less issue with clogging than any other filter I've tried.

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably try ordering a pack.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Quiet thread...

I should be getting a referral bonus for a friend joining my company soon-- so I'm planning to finally bite the bullet on a Lagom P64. This would be 99% for espresso. My question for y'all is what burr set should I consider?

I've gone through the flow chart, but I question how much I would really notice the difference between each burr option. I think I enjoy lighter roast coffees, but I've had a few dark roasts using my borrowed Lido 3 hand grinder and Robot that have actually made excellent espressos and Americanos.

For pourover grinders:
I own a Vario W with steel burrs that I use for pour over, but as I've screamed-into-the-void previously, I don't think I've ever been completely satisfied with it. I've tried doing the "hyper alignment", but I still get a lot of fines. It doesn't make bad coffee but it has only very occasionally made very good coffee.

I've been wondering if I should try and sell it on Home Barista or somewhere and try purchasing a Fellow Ode with the SSP burrs many people have recommended.

If anyone has upgraded or changed from a Vario, or has another grinder for pour overs and aeropress coffee I'd like to hear it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Gunder posted:

I own a P64 with SSP Multipurpose (unimodal) burrs. They make excellent espresso and filter (once adequately seasoned). The only thing stopping me from recommending them automatically over the other burrs would be: how much do you value texture/body in your espresso? If you prefer thicker shots with more body, then the SSP High-Uniformity burrs would probably be a better pick. The advantage of the Multipurpose burrs is the amount of clarity they provide, but they do so at the cost of texture.

As far as darker roasts go, I'm not sure that a fast-extracting burr like the MP would be ideal for darker roasts. It might tend to easily over-extract them.

Edit: As for the second part of your post. I don't think I'd bother getting an SSP burr set for a Fellow Ode. The new version of the Ode has burrs that are good enough that they're almost as good as the SSP set for filter. Not worth the upgrade cost IMO. If you did end up getting the P64 with the MP burrs, i'd use that for both filter and espresso.

Did you spend the extra :20bux: to get the black anodized color, or just the silver? Any extra opinions about the fit, finish, etc?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Gunder posted:

Yeah, I got the black one. There aren’t any other options you can pick, apart from burr choice.

Hmm, looking at the burr choices, again, I'm wondering if the Mizen is a better choice for espresso and pour over. I don't feel like light roasts are always easy to find locally, vs medium roasts. In addition, I was gifted a monthly coffee subscription from a local roaster (Greater Goods) and it seemed like the bulk of coffees they mailed me were dark roasts.

While I think I prefer lighter roasts, if I'm gifted something darker, I at least want to be able to brew good coffee with it.

Option O posted:

1. SSP - Unimodal Espresso (UM) /Multipurpose

These are burrs with unique geometry that we think highlight flavour characteristics that are treasured in modern espresso. In October 2020, SSP has made a slight modification to the original Unimodal Burrs (Option 4 as described below) to make them more forgiving and adaptable for espresso usage. The Unimodal-espresso burrs (sometimes refered to as V2 inofficially in the community) work well both for filter brews and light roast espresso. The burr geometry was originally inspired by Mahlkonig Kenia & Guatemala Lab bulk grinders.

In our experience the SSP unimodal-espresso burrs tend to excel in highlighting flavour clarity and brightness in lighter roast coffees. They can also work for darker roasts but we think their potential is best used for the lighter roasts. If you are someone who don’t mind experimenting and are chasing delicate flavours in high-quality light roasted coffees, we recommend trying EKpresso-style shots (or Turbo shots) with these unimodal burrs. The high (and fast) extraction of SSP Unimodal burrs tend to play well with higher-acid coffee (ie light roasts).

When the unimodal burrs will be a less optimal choice : As the unimodal burrs can be a new experience for many, these behaviours may not be apparent to a new user - i.e. techniques that worked on conventional burrs may not be directly applicable on the unimodal burrs. For example, as the unimodal burrs are already producing extremely fine grind at normal espresso flow rate, it is not neccesary to use additional techniques that encourage finer-grinding, and doing so may be counterproductive. It also benefits from using a lower brew pressure (6-7 bar). If you often do three or more of the following in combination, and would like to keep the way how you currently pull the shots, the unimodal burrs may be less suitable for your application : (i) using very lightly/under- developed roasts, (ii) using low doses in double basket (e.g. <14 g), (iii) using modern baskets with larger total hole area (VST basket, particularly the lower capacity 15g basket), (iv) flow profiling (blooming-espresso or Slayer-style), and/or (v) making shots of low brew ratio (<1:2). The Unimodal Espresso burrs may also produce lesser mouthfeel compared to traditional burrs. Although it may sound like the unimodal burrs has less flexibility in these cases, the reward is that you can get shots that are extremely sweet, balanced and with high flavour clarity out of light roasts not achievable with conventional burrs.

2. Mizen - 64mm Omni

This is the new burrset that we’ve created based on our desire to come up with an all-purpose burr set (hence the name Omni) that excels in both espresso and pour-over grinding (e.g. V60, Kalitta, Chemex etc), with tasty cup profiles in all use cases. By fine-tuning the popular cast burr teeth profile and incorporating our improved Moonshine process, we believe we have created a unique burr set that we’re proud to share.

When used for espresso, the Omni burrs provide enhanced flavour separation and clarity in the cup, showcasing the flavours of the coffee terroir and processing, without sacrificing the body/mouthfeel you would get with traditional flat burrs. The cup characteristics are extremely clean and sweet due to the unique surface finish as a result of Moonshine process. The Omni burrs are suitable for all roast levels, and are especially suited for those who enjoy medium roast level and/or lighter.

When used for coarser grinding (e.g. pour over or immersion brew), the Omni burrs produce high-quality coarse grind with relatively low fines (which can be notorious for clogging up paper filters). The grind size distribution of the Omni burrs is slightly broader than unimodal-style burrs, but is still rather focused when compared to traditional flat burrs – this combination lends itself to achieving brewed coffee with cup characteristics that are complex, juicy, and have satisfying mouthfeel and with little astringency.

These Omni burrs are what we envisioned to be high clarity, all-rounder burrs that deliver a cup profile that can please most users (e.g. as opposed to Unimodal Espresso which can be a polarising experience sometimes).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Hmm, looking at the burr choices, again, I'm wondering if the Mizen is a better choice for espresso and pour over. I don't feel like light roasts are always easy to find locally, vs medium roasts. In addition, I was gifted a monthly coffee subscription from a local roaster (Greater Goods) and it seemed like the bulk of coffees they mailed me were dark roasts.

I've still got analysis paralysis on burr choice for the P64.

If I'm using top and bottom filters in my Cafelat Robot, am I already reducing the texture present in my espresso? If that's the case should I just go with the SSP Unimodal/Multipurpose?

I guess I'm concerned about if the SSP Unimodal will suck for dark and medium roasts or if you can just go coarser with it, or what.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I think the Niche and Robot would be a great starting point.

I'm still using a borrowed Orphan Espresso Lido 3 hand grinder for my espresso and it is frustrating to dial in a new coffee-- and then as the bean changes slightly over time I'm generally too lazy to try and make adjustments to the grind size. In addition, it's simply added effort to an already manual process.

I would much rather have an electric grinder to shorten the total time to brew espresso.

I'm planning to buy the Lagom P64 (if I can decide on a burr set, I'm leaning towards the Mizen, I think), but I gather that the Niche is a really good grinder.

Watch Hoffmann's comparison or reviews of the Robot and the Flair, if you haven't already.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

nwin posted:

If you decide on a niche, you can probably score a deal on /r/coffeeswap. New grinders are coming out and people are offloading the niche. I have no plans to upgrade the niche because it does everything I want.

Thanks for sharing this. I was trying to figure out where to eventually sell my Vario W.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/14i283c/aita_for_giving_away_my_wifes_espresso_machine

My wife thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat, my buddies are on my side since it was a mistake. I don't know what to do.

My wife Jane loves coffee. She used to work as a barista before getting a corporate job but she carried it forward and regularly makes us coffees with fancy patterns. She has a really fancy espresso machine with a grinder and they're her pride and joy. We often joke that it's the third wheel in our marriage given how much she's interested in the drink.

I thought for an early birthday present, it would be nice to get her a new one. I saw this seller who can refit espresso machines and customise them so I thought it would be nice to get one that has olive and sage green accents. I'm quite proud of myself for thinking of it and it would look a lot nicer in our kitchen. Hers right now is stainless steel and reflective which stands out like an eyesore. So I got in touch with the seller and he agreed and he also helped me refit 2 portafilter handles with olive wood. One of them has her initials carved into it and the other says "Happy Birthday Darling" with a heart. I was going to give her this today and then show her the machine. I also got her a new grinder and had that match the espresso machine. Thoughtful right?

Well there was an issue with delivery so her new machine got delayed. My buddy came by late last night to pick up her machine and grinder which I let him have because of the new one, and then in the morning she would have come down to see the new machine. Now there is no machine. She flipped out asking me what i'd done with it because it was pretty obvious it was missing so I said I'd given it away to my friend because he needed it.

I didn't want to ruin the surprise. She asked me why I didn't think to tell her and I didn’t know what to answer so I just said that his broke and he needed one. We went back and forth for a bit and then she said she was going to go to a cafe and left. She came back and then I forfeited what my plan was and she was thankful but still annoyed I'd given her machine away without at least asking her because it has sentimental value to her (her brother bought her the machine as a gift for landing her corporate job).

My view is that it would have ruined the surprise if I'd told her and the shipping only showed it was delayed this morning. I did message my buddy to see if we could get it back for now until the new one comes but he said his parents are using it and I don't want to inconvenience them over a misunderstanding.

AITA?

Jesus did not think this would be so huge. I am wrong, gonna message my buddy and offer to pay to help his parents buy a machine and grinder for the inconvenience

Okay, I'm going to bed now. This replies were a lot to read. I plan to apologise to my wife in the morning with her Gaggia and grinder and beans. I also am going to let her set up the Linea and Niche. As some people pointed out, my setting things up might mess with the original settings or something and the setting up is part of the joy of having a new machine.

People who are saying to go and get in my car right now (1am) and get the machine back. I am not doing that because as much as I hosed up with this, it's a separate issue to wake up his parents and possibly neighbours at this time. Me getting the machine now makes no difference to me going over in the morning while my wife is having her lie in or just lounging in bed as she normally does until 10am on weekends.

Also everyone who's saying that my wife should divorce me, things are not black and white. Jane was thankful for the machine. An apology and me getting back the Gaggia will smooth this over because this really was me just being stupid and not thinking.

Thank you all

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 29, 2023

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
:siren: My wife :siren: showed that post to me, and was well aware just how hosed up that story was.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

There's already an invention better than a cold latte and it's called affogato.

Affogato 'bout that one.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Where is my Lagom P64, Option-O! :bahgawd:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Would a dilute bleach solution not be better than vinegar?

Not sure if any of the components could be damaged but that's what I would consider to sanitize it.

That or the powdered oxiclean sanitizer like the poster above me said.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
My Lagom P-64 just arrived and it looks cool and is very quiet.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Gunder posted:

Grats! Which burrs did you go for in the end? I found that my SSP Multi-purpose burrs needed a decent amount of seasoning before they started producing great-tasting cups. I put about 3kg (6.6lbs) of beans through it to season it. There was a pretty big difference afterwards.

I agonized over it for a while and eventually chose the Mizen burrs.

I've pulled one espresso shot with it in my Cafelat Robot and made one pour over.

In both cases I think I chose slightly too coarse of a grind but they're both drinkable.

The espresso shot ran really fast but still tastes fine enough. That was with a dark roast that I bought ... months ago now and had decanted into an air tight jar. I think I chose the coarsest grind recommended in the quick start guide.

The pour over was with an Ethiopian light roast, I believe. It was fine, definitely a little under extracted i think. I chose the middle point on the recommended grind range again, the coffee bed looked pretty good. Not as many fines as I've gotten with my Vario.

I guess this will just take some time to figure it out. I'm not sure how much the grind speed matters. I had it on 7 for the espresso, and while the guide said to run pourovers at 3 I forgot to change it..

NOW: Where do I sell my Vario? My wife was not pleased to learn how expensive the Lagom was.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
https://www.odysseyespresso.com/

The Argos lever machine is pretty cool if it ever ships. Haven't bothered looking for reviews or more details since I bought a robot earlier this year, but it seemed very cool and it has a steam wand.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
If anyone is in the market for a Vario W with steel burrs (and the ceramic burrs which were never used) please let me know.

It is a refurbished model I purchased directly from Baratza back in April of 2020. As far as being a refurbished model nothing ever looked out of place, so maybe I just got a return.

Baratza installed the steel burrs for me when I purchased the set, and the ceramic burrs have been sitting in a baggie in my cabinet.

I need to put it up for sale somewhere since I've concluded that the Lagom P64 I've purchased can do both espresso and pour over.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What're you asking for it?

I need to see if I kept the original box and packaging to make it easier to ship.

I paid $500 shipped from Baratza. Looking for $400 shipped to the lower 48 states. Including both burr sets, of course.

I'll ship to Canada or elsewhere if that made sense, but I'd probably ask a little more to cover shipping costs. I'm located in central TX.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Someone here mentioned that they liked the Cafec paper filters as a replacement for the no-longer-available japanese, tabless V60 filter.

I need to buy some new filters, but there are too many choices on the Cafec website. What should I be buying for a V60 02 filter?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

I’d go with the (slightly confusingly numbered) Abaca 4. It’s the size of a regular 02, so it’ll definitely fit, and it’s got great drawdown. I haven’t had good experiences with the light roast paper - at least a 5 minute drawdown time with very astringent and over extracted coffees irrespective of grind or water - but the Abaca rule, probably my favorite besides the ones made by the good Japanese Hario factory I can never remember.

Where have you ordered yours from?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Welp... Assuming I was ordering from a legit CafecUSA website, shipping was $12 so I ordered a year supply of filters.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

ulvir posted:

:homebrew:

but also, nothing wrong with having a good surplus of stuff you usually run out of anyway

Just got an email that they're out of stock until the end of October...

Does anyone have another source for the Abaca 4 filter?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I watched a video of a dweeb explaining that method and it seemed wasteful and tedious.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Lagom P-64 owners: How silent should the motor and burrs be when spinning freely with no beans inside?

I will hear a whirring noise, or whine that I'm guessing is caused by a bean, or piece of a bean stuck somewhere in the throat of the grinder.

It will go away if I adjust the grind setting, or it seems to change when I dump my beans in.

I have not disassembled or pulled away the upper burr yet. I think I've only put maybe 3 bags of coffee through it, which is ~1kg.

I have the Mizen burrs if that matters.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Gunder posted:

Can you give us a recording? Mine will exhibit a similar sound if there's a fragment of bean trapped somewhere in the wipers. It usually goes away after grinding another load, or if you adjust the burrs coarser and then finer while running the grinder.

I think this is exactly what I'm hearing.

Like you've said it will go away by either grinding a new batch of beans or adjusting coarser then finer.

I should open up/lift off the top burr just to see what's inside, though.

How often do y'all clean out your grinder, or run something like the Cafiza cleaning tablets through it?

As far as coffee actually goes, I feel like I am still chasing the right grind setting for my coffee. The last bag and current bag are just not resulting in that great of pourovers and I don't know if it's the fault of the beans or grind setting or what.

I am buying lighter roasts and grinding towards the finer end of what Option-O suggests for starting grind ranges with the Mizen burrs. I have found the approximate edge where the brew starts to taste bitter, but if I back off I don't seem to get much more interesting flavors.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Gunder posted:

I’ve had my grinder for about 5 months now, and I’ve yet to clean the thing internally. I only drink light roasts though, and they really don’t produce much muck inside the grinder. I think I went about a year between cleans on my last grinder, and even then there wasn’t much to clean out at all. Medium and especially darker roasts would require much more regular cleaning.

Did you season your burrs at all when you first got the grinder? I don’t have the Mizen burrs, but my SSP Multipurpose burrs required a good bit of seasoning before they started producing good cups. I think I put about 3kg of cheap beans through mine before I got the cups I wanted.

No I definitely didn't try seasoning it before using it. Were your cheap beans also a light roast?

I think I've put maybe 3 bags through it now which would put me at right about 1kg.

What grind setting do you use for seasoning? So you go coarse or fine? Run all 3kg though at once or over a few hours? I recall reading a note in the quick start guide advising letting the motor cool down between uses to prevent overheating.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Gunder posted:

I used some Lavazza light roast at a fairly coarse grind setting, with a fast RPM to blaze through it all. The motor has a 30 second duty cycle, so I did something like a 30-60 second rest for every 30 seconds of grinding. I think I did it over 2 days, because it's pretty boring work.

Edit: The results won't be that comparable because of the different burrs, but the SSPs tasted pretty flat and muted until I'd done the seasoning.

Your comment about "flat and muted" feels accurate to me.

I'll go pickup some cheaper beans this week and see if that helps at all.

I've pulled a handful of espresso shots on my Cafelat Robot and haven't been super satisfied. It'd be cool to see if my opinion changes.

I'm still chasing the one time I pulled a shot on that with some cheaper dark roast coffee and it came out surprisingly sweet. Still no idea what I did right that time. That was using a conical hand grinder, though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm sure you could offload it if you wanted to in the espressoafficionatos discord

Where can I get an invite to this? I still need to sell my Vario-W and I'm extra lazy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've listed my Vario-W for sale in SA Mart if anyone is interested

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048897

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I just received mine and I've used it twice.

How are y'all cleaning them, and how do you clean the screen components?

All the warnings about not getting it wet are making me a little paranoid.

Are y'all transferring the milk to another vessel?

Also, also, mine came with some "free" latte are thing on Masterclass, but I cannot figure out how to use it. The QR code on the card is a dead url, and when I try to create an account on Masterclass it asks for a credit card-- which is a product I will never use. Anyone else figure out how to use that code?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Orphan Espresso is sold out/backordered on the Cafelat robot upper and lower paper filters. I'm kicking myself for not ordering several hundred of each the last time I bought a restock.

The Aeropress filter paper can sort of replace the upper filter, although they are slightly large. No lower filter option without trying to cut out papers by hand.

I'm guessing they've closed their storefront for the holidays, do any of y'all have an alternative for these filters?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

nwin posted:

https://cafune.ca/collections/cafelat-robot

That’s where I bought my robot from and they had pretty cheap shipping to the states

Well, I went and emailed them about a restock, and apparently I was viewing their old website that they still have up-- and isn't redirecting to their new URL:
https://www.orphanespresso.com/cafelat-robot-parts--accessories

All of the filter papers are in stock there.

Edit:

BrianBoitano posted:

I bought a $10 craft circle cutter for my Flair Pro 2. I'm sure you can find the right diameter - probably someone on r*ddit already did.

In one of the Orphan Espresso videos about his Robot accessories, he mentions that the upper filter paper is some standard size that they could cut with a craft circle cutter like you mentioned. However, apparently the bottom filter is a special size that required a custom die to be made.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I have not gotten any bites on my Baratza Vario-W that I've been trying to sell for a while. (Factory refurbished, used it for ~3 years, and have steel burrs and an unused ceramic burr set).

Any ideas what a "reasonable" price would be, and where else I should list it? I've put it on SA mart, Reddit /r/coffeeswap, and the Espresso Aficionados discord.

I'd like to avoid places like Facebook Marketplace. I suppose Ebay is an option but then you deal with sellers fees...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I think everyone that has tried to do inverted has spilled it at least once.

Probably could make a stand for it to make it slightly less sketchy. Or just don't do it.