Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Ummmm, are you saying my 100% new oak 14.5 Santa Lucia Pinot is overpriced

This poo poo is Burgundian, man. Burgundian!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Breaking out more P-U-R Bulle de Gamay for NYE. It's more of a beverage than a wine, but it's fun as gently caress to drink.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

benito posted:

It was a little hot in Lodi last week, and a crisp glass of dry rosé at 9 a.m. was a welcome refreshment. Vineyard tasting was kind of crazy. The sixth-generation growers are talking about 150-year old vines, and we're spitting on the ground and the dogs are chewing on the trunks of the same old vines... For anyone that likes dogs and wine, I have a brief roundup of some of the vineyard dogs.

People give Lodi a lot of crap, but I was really impressed with their white wines. Albariño, Vermentino, a few Rhône blends... It's not just Old Vine Zinfandel out there. The rosés were spectacular but are made in limited quantities and often don't leave the region.

Did they talk about the season at all? I can't imagine drought questions didn't come up. Afaik everything's moving even earlier than last year, which was also an early year. Gonna be picking in July at this rate.

Tempus Fugit, do you get involved in the farming, too, or just make pick calls? What have you been seeing in whatever neck of the woods you're in?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah, I've been lucky enough to work with the Bechtold Vineyard Cinsault and the guy pisses and moans about getting 2-3 tons an acre, but the fruit quality is insane. The winemaker I work with talked another grower into cropping some of his 100+yo Carignan down to 3 tons/acre as an experiment this season, and I'm looking forward to the results come harvest. Hopefully it goes well and we can get more next year...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I'm not super familiar with it yet, but there are a few variables. The biggest is location - I met a guy who owns land in both Napa and Solano County. Some grapes can be called Napa, some are from Suisun, and sell for significantly less per ton. The soils are the same, the grapes are the same, they're practically next to each other, but AVA crap means that Napa grapes sell for more.

Most of the growers in Lodi are pretty industrial. They want good, ripe grapes, but quantity is far more important than quality. They aren't getting as much money for their grapes, and a lot of the places buying them aren't terribly concerned with showing terroir. I mean, poo poo, what the hell are you going to show with a bunch of 5-year old Chardonnay vines that are irrigated and fertilized and grown on a bunch of dead-rear end dirt that's been sprayed chock-full of pesticides and herbicides? Might as well crop it as high as you can go without losing ALL your quality. And even if you did have something amazing, it's Lodi so no one is going to pay a whole lot for it. See the Napa/Suisun example.

There are some farmers there, though, who are farming older, less productive vines or who are willing to crop at lower levels (for a premium, of course). The trick is finding them and then managing to work out a deal. Sometimes it's just an extra headache for them and they'd rather just do their normal thing, sometimes they're just ornery cusses, etc etc.

I dunno, I don't want to be too judgemental about it. Just because I think Two-Buck Chuck is gross doesn't make it a bad wine -it just is what it is. Farming works the same way.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Loud Mouse posted:

I recently learned that two buck chuck is made by Franzia.

Also, do any of you know of a decent pinot noir around $10?

I used to really like pinot, but recently I've had bad luck, probably directly related to my budget. Still, the last one I drank tasted like paint thinner and cost me $15. I couldn't even finish the glass.

If you want Pinot that tastes like Pinot, $10 won't get you far, especially not from the States.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Loud Mouse posted:

Thanks guys. I'll take all this into consideration when I head to the wine store later.

It's hard to do wine on a budget, and eventually I'll save up for a really nice bottle, but for now I'll keep learning what I can with the cheaper stuff.

You can find stuff out there for $15-20 a bottle that'll give you an idea of what Pinot should taste like. It won't be insane amazing Pinot, but it'll be solid, enjoyable wine. That's pretty specific to Pinot noir, though. If you just want some good red wine, there are all sorts of wines out there that you can get for under $15 that'll be interesting and nice. You have to have an idea of what you're looking for, but it's way doable.

If you're just starting out, rally some friends up and taste a few bottles together. That way you pool your money, so buying something for $30 or $40 won't be so painful. Definitely theme your tastings; you'll get way, way more out of it. Go by grape, area, or both. For example Sauvingon blanc from Cali, France, and New Zealand. Or Sauvingon blanc from different areas of France alone. Or a few examples of Sauv blanc from a single area, like Pouilly Fume, Sancerre, etc.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
The thing about $7.99 Pinot noir from Trader Joe's is that the wine likely won't give you any clue about Pinot noir. It'll taste like red wine, and it probably won't be bad red wine, but it won't give you any true sense of the grape variety itself. If you're just getting jnto wine don't worry about it - try the wine, have it with some food, see what you think. Just don't read into it very much. I'd really recommend Drink This by Dara Moskowitz as a beginner primer. It's pretty basic, but it's an easy, newbie-friendly starting book.

Once you get more focused on learning about regions, grape varieties, and so on, maybe start a monthly/bi-monthly tasting budget and find a wine shop you like that can help you explore a little. Eric Asimov is currently running a series of tasting articles in the New York times; they're really, really good for learning about major wine regions and styles. And Wine Atlas of the World is really useful for keeping track of where your wines are from.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
California doesn't have a very limited liquor selection, so you should be able to find some Rare Wine Co Madeira pretty easily. Awesome quality for the price.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Cremants in general (Jura, Loire, Burgogne) can be really awesome, as can pet nats. I blasted through two cases of La Bulle Gamay from PUR a year or two ago and wish I had bought two more. 8% and a great balance of acid and sweetness. It's right on the line between "beverage" and "wine", but who gives a poo poo? It was delicious, plus there's a lady taking a pink bubble bath on the label. Drink up!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

himajinga posted:

On the same note, how pissed would a restaurant be if I brought like 3 bottles of wine? Is that a sign I should just host a dinner at my place if I have 3 bottles that I want to drink in 1 sitting?
General corkage etiquette, at least that I try to stick to, is to never expect free corkage, always share tastes with the staff, and to generally try to purchase a bottle or two off their list depending on the size of the group. Oh, and do your server a favor and tip based (loosely) off the missing cost of the wine you brought - $20-30 corkage is not the same as a $70 bottle. I usually only bring wines to restaurants I frequent, and that in combination with the above typically gets my corkage comped.

If you have a larger group and you buy a couple bottles off the list I could see three bottles. Otherwise definitely expect to pay full corkage on all three bottles, or expect to possibly be turned down depending on restaurant policy. Calling ahead is def. a good plan.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

pork never goes bad posted:

Why don't people just talk about what they drink? I feel like there's not a lot of interesting wine prompted here.

Today we mostly had Loire wine, a chidaine red with Franc, cot, and pineau d'aunis, but also a beautiful bottle of pascal jolivet "attitude" cheverny blanc. Mostly I tricked my dad into ordering this crap but there we are. As long as I drink it...
I had a taste of that Chidaine at Heirloom Cafe the other day! It was pretty loving rad, really nice weight to it. Not heavy or ponderous, just really solid. Rest of the night was split between '99 Renaissance Cuvee Barrique and '01 Carema white label. I doubt many (if any) people have the Renaissance, but it is loving sick right now. Took about 30-45 minutes to get up to speed but once it had a little air it was off to the races. The Carema was good, too, but might've been better served by a decant. Also tasted a '94? '96? Clape (or maybe Chave? Night was getting fuzzy) that had been open for a few days; it was in a pretty interesting spot.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 12, 2014

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Crimson posted:

Do not be that guy, and I think you'll be fine.
Hahahaha whaaaaaaat. He's basically industry and pulling that kind of poo poo? gently caress that guy. What a stupid piece-of-poo poo move.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Stitecin posted:

I liked Villa Creek and Adelaida. It's an hour and a half from Paso but Demetria in Santa Ynez is also great.

Late followup but Demetria has sick, sick, sick terroir and Harry (their winemaker, vineyard manager, etc) is super nice. Had a really cool Chardonnay from them that he did on a combination of acacia and concrete that was really lovely. The vineyard is fully biodynamic and I really can't say enough about how goddamn amazing it is.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Nearly every wine merchant I've spoken to believes in "travel shock" to some degree. I tend to think of that as being far different than just exposure to vibration. There are lots of different stresses involved in shipping: vibration, agitation, swings in temperature, etc. That's different than saying a wine will be ruined by vibrations if it sits inside your refrigerator for a week.

Bottle shock and travel shock both totally happen, but it also depends on the wines. My own wines are pretty low-sulfur, and if I toss a bottle in my bike bag to bring to a dinner or something they generally don't show nearly as well. That's a pretty decent amount of agitation, though. If you're worried about washing maching vibrations I'd just get some foam gym mats and put the fridges on those.

Also re: closures, a lot just comes down to preference these days. I really like the look and feel of natural cork and I'm willing to put up with having to make good on corked bottles, so I use the natty stuff. If I was blasting out 85k cases of Sonoma whatever straight to Safeway I'd probably use something composite with a lower unit cost and lower chance of TCA. It all depends.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 6, 2015

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Kasumeat posted:

What are the advantages of cork? There are only two I ever hear. First, that the wines evolve faster. Second, that it feels good man. But the first is easily refuted - screwcaps have an oxygen permeability which can be adjusted to be as high or as low as the manufacturer desires. And the second is obviously just somebody's dumb opinion. What am I missing?
Shaving it down to "feels good/dumb opinions" kind of oversimplifies things. Even if you completely ignore winemaking tradition, there's a very different hedonistic/kinesthetic/aesthetic experience in unscrewing a screwcap vs. pulling a cork. It's a very satisfying experience to me, and there's a certain ritual or gravity that it gives when you're opening an especially prized bottle that I don't think you really get with screwcaps.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Kasumeat posted:

Are you, not bothered by the 5-20% of wines you lose to TCA, and the 10-50%, both varying by region of course, of bottles you lose to premox/seepage? Isn't that feeling much worse than the high of pulling a cork? Let alone the cost.

But really I'm more interested in knowing whether you purchase wines differently based on their closure.

Haha, you're overexaggerating just a teeny tiny bit there. And have they decided premox is caused by cork? Also I was under the impression it was mostly Burgs that had premox issues? You make it sound like half the wines out there under cork are full of TCA and/or are ticking time-bombs, and that just isn't the case. I've opened corked wines, corked wines that otherwise would have been great, and it is what it is.

I'd definitely purchase wines based on the closure. Would you drop $700 on a case of screwcaps you intended to age 15 years? I wouldn't. I might lose one to TCA, but I'd rather have the cork.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Kasumeat posted:

Premox is definitely a cork issue. Here's a Jancis article where she couldn't make it any clearer:
She's talking about cork taint vs premox vs screwcaps vs natural cork - I'm not seeing a very clear cut cause/effect. The NZ problem that caused them to switch to screwcaps was cork taint, not premox. I'm not saying premox isn't caused by cork, just that I didn't know if they've conclusively figured out what's causing premox in white Burgundies.

Kasumeat posted:

I honestly just can't comprehend why one would hesitate to choose a closure which is proven to be the most effective for long-term aging, so I'd like to know why you prefer cork for aging.
Really? I understand the benefits of screwcaps to a somm, and those benefits must be especially nice when you're opening a bunch of bottles for customers, but you don't see how any of the ceremony of pulling a cork is lost with a screwcap? It's a completely aesthetic thing and yes, probably more detrimental to the wine than screwcaps in many instances, but you can't see that difference at all?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Overwined posted:

I fail to see a problem.

EDIT: Ribolla Gialla 4 lyfe y'all

EDIT2: Yes I know it's the new hipster hotness a la Gruner 10 years ago. I don't care. Feed it to me morning noon and night.

Is Pigato not cool & new enough anymore??

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Professional question for the somms, floor people, and other industry peeps - what's standard practice in managing open bottles for your BTG list, and what kind of info should I let buyers know if I'm offering wine for their BTG program??

I'm making wine in a minimal intervention/natural/whatever the gently caress way you want to call it these days. Basically whole-cluster, foot-stomped, ambient yeasts, and sulfured only upon bottling. I want to work a little more reductively this year, because gout de souris is definitely something that happens with no-sulfur wines and definitely something that I don't like. My wine is perfectly happy to pop n' pour, and happy to hang out for a few hours, too. If I drink half the bottle and slap a cork in it and leave it on the counter it's still good the next day but does fall off a little, at least to my taste. Two days is too long for that kind of treatment, though.

I don't gas half-bottles at home, but I'm going to see how a gassed partial bottle holds up vs an ungassed partial this week. I have a friend who runs a wine bar, and he was saying buyers aren't gonna want BTG wines that can't hold up for 2-3 days - has this been true in your guys' experience? This isn't weird natty juice that takes off in a VA rocketship and falls apart into mousy cheese curds as soon as it hits the air, but it also isn't indestructible juice of a thousand tannins that can hang out on the counter for days and days.

It's fresh and drinkable and delicious, though; I think it'd fit in great on plenty of BTG lists and I think I can price it with enough flexibility (prob ~$13/btl) to make BTG work for many San Francisco restaurants. Any advice?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
What are you doing to get your wines to hold up for 3 days, though? Gas them every night, fridge them overnight, stuff like that? Short of like, badass Cornelissen poo poo I just can't imagine leaving many wines out for 3 days and them being in a sellable, drinkable state.

In most $25+ entree restos in SF red btg will be something like $12-17, at least in my experience as a diner. I don't think $14/glass would raise many, if any eyebrows.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Affi posted:

Shouldn't you base all your wine purchases on how classy the label looks?

You'd think, but the true connoisseur knows that the heavier the bottle and the deeper the punt, the better the wine.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Crimson posted:

Also, I run a wine program in the financial district, come pour me some wine! Truthfully I cater to businessmen and tourists so natural wines aren't necessarily up their alley, but I do include a couple off the beaten path types on my BTG. I am pouring Donkey & Goat's Five Thirteen right now.

For sure! Send me a PM and I'll bring you a bottle full of barnyard animal poops

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Overwined posted:

I trust savvy consumers to make the distinction and not let that cast a shadow on the wine itself, but they are the minority. More often they will taste a wine that they will assume that that's how it tastes and never return. Worse yet is when a wine is sort of stretching it's useful date (let's say 4ish days open) so the wine tastes mostly okay, but the oxidized/vinegar tinge is enough to make people think it's not flawed, but they hate it.

The fallout is often silent. I put a wine into a place, train the apathetic staff, then the wine rots. A few weeks later I talk to the buyer and he or she says "this doesn't sell" and we move on down the row to the next victim. The wine is ultimately hurt by this through not fault of its own.

That's basically one of my biggest fears. I can make buyers whole for corked wines or off bottles, but I can't do anything if some shady dude decides to sell a week-old pour of vinegar. I checked with a few bottles and the wine hold up fine overnight, especially if it's left in the fridge, but many consumers can't even detect obvious cork taint - I don't want people drinking the wine once it's past prime and deciding it sucks.

I'm really happy with where it ended up; it's pretty light, but there's some relative depth there that keeps it interesting. I'm really happy with the balance I got between fruit/acid/mouthfeel/bitterness, and I think the wine has a freshness/liveliness to it that's really enjoyable. I don't want people's first impressions to be tired pours.

In other news harvest is already well underway in a lot of places here in California. I'll be heading out to Lodi for Tempranillo in a week or two depending on tomorrow's numbers. It'll be part of a Spanish blend that will also include Garnacha and Graciano. I'll be bottling last year's blend next Sunday and I'm super excited about it - it's really fun, quaffable glou-glou.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll post what I can about harvest if people are interested.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Getting ready to climb in some bins and stomp some grapes in a minute. Trucked out to Lodi this morning to pick up Tempranillo and Garnacha for a Spanish blend. The grapes are all from Eastern Lodi, where the Foothills just barely begin in long, rolling hills and swales. It's only my second year using these vineyards, and I'm still learning when it comes to calling picks, etc.

The Tempranillo looks really nice and tastes good; full of stuffing and spice. Hopefully right around 23 brix, but I need to stomp for a sample first. The Garnacha was tough this year and it was tough last year - super light color on most of it, so the whole time I was questioning myself on the call. I did the same thing last year, though, and it came in right at 23 and made gorgeous grapefruit juice that'll add some lighter aromatics to the blend without weighing it down with higher alcohols/lower acid that might happen if I waited longer. Graciano is the last grape due for the blend, and if harvest is anything like last year (it is and it isn't) I'll be picking it in 3-4 weeks. I loved what I got last year - fresh, ripe blueberries and perfectly ripe, tangy blackberries from the juice. I might let it hang just a teeeeny bit longer this year, though; we'll see.

I bottled last year's blend yesterday; I've been going non-stop for the last three days. loving harvest. I can't wait to smell the fermentation though... It's exciting as hell

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

bartolimu posted:

Hello Winefriends. I'm going to be traveling up the coast of California from San Diego to the Russian River area and would like some suggestions of wineries to visit. I'm partial to really interesting/unusual wines, not a fan of stereotypical California chards. Kalin Cellars sprung to mind for their sheer oddity (and amazing website) but I'm not familiar enough with other options to plan for much. Any suggestions? Central Coast/Sonoma area stuff encouraged, it's a long drive to the Bay Area and I'll need something to entertain me on the way.

It's a little farther inland, but think about taking a detour to Ambyth in Paso Robles. Biodynamic, dry-farmed vineyards in Paso, and it definitely falls square into the "interesting" category.

If you're starting in San Diego Los Pilares does some cool-rear end natty pet nat. Just met the couple running J Brix the other night as well and they're really nice peeps out of SD.

There are a few wine shops in SF carrying neat stuff. Terroir at 7th and Folsom is kind of the SF natural wine mainstay, but other good spots include places like Ruby Wine on Potrero Hill and Fig & Thistle in Hayes Valley. If you're thinking of dinner I'd super recommend Heirloom Cafe in the Mission. They have a phenomenal wine list and very good food - great prix fixe as well. Their BTG list is one of the best in SF imo.

Another Sonoma place to check (idk what their program is, you might have to arrange a visit) is Arnot-Roberts.

Oh, and if you pass through Oakland instead definitely stop by Ordinaire. They're natty wine hipsters, yeah, but they carry some really loving cool juice.

edit: in other news harvest is over, over, over! Been over for a few weeks now, but I haven't been following the thread so much. Got a couple tons of hillside Syrah from Sonoma and had my first experience with oversprayed sulfur in the vineyard - not loving fun at all, especially when you're working with native ferments. The wine didn't want to start at all and then started getting bad stinky, not just regular ol' Syrah reduction stinky. I freaked out about stuff for about a week or so but everything seems like it ended up ok - it's stil a little reductive in barrel, but just normal Syrah reductive, and I'll probably give it a good aerative racking at some point to make it happy. Stuff is already rocking through malo which is also pretty nice. I like quick, thorough ferments when I can get 'em.

My 2011 Merlot/Cab seems like it's finally turning the corner, too, which is pretty exciting. It was a cold year and the sugar never got too high, and it's been a closed-down, acidic rear end in a top hat of a wine for the past 4 years. Merlot is popping super strong now, though, and it feels really good - I think I nailed terroir/typicity for the region and I'm really proud of that. It's a little clue that I'm on the right track with my winemaking, and it feels really good.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 28, 2015

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Speaking of wine movies I finally watched Bottle Shock, and it was... uh... definitely a movie I guess??

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Tasted through my three 2014 blends still in barrel the other day and 2014 is gonna be a siiiiiick year for natty wine! Santa Ynez Syrah/Grenache is all purple/blue flowers on the nose with a wound-up richness to the palate that makes me think it'll be a show-stopper in 5-10 years. Lodi Syrah/Cinsault is higher acid and bright, light red fruits - similar in ways to my 2013 version but a little lighter on its feet. And my Syrah/Carignan is similar but with more bass/bottom from the Carignan. Can't wait to get this poo poo in bottle!

Following wine through elevage is always a little tough, especially because I don't sulfur until bottling. After primary fermentation finishes, the wine usually smells pretty decent but it's always really angular and disjointed on the palate. Then malo happens and it smells/tastes pretty nasty & hosed up for a while. Then there's usually a long while where you can taste potential, but there are a few things that are still disjointed, or not quite right, and all you can do is hang on to your butt and wait and see.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Stitecin posted:

I went to a natural wine tasting in San Francisco last weekend at Terroir. I'd say that most of the wineries pouring were decent, a few were quite good. Here's the website to check out a list interesting wineries. Incidentally, I may have lined up a ton or two of Abouriou for 2016 which would be a horrible choice for a grape to start a label with, but I might do it anyway.

Hey, I was pouring there! I was in the second room between Pilares & Neighborhood; dunno if you got a chance to taste or remember. I poured my current 2013 release, and a 2011 Merlot/Cab from shiners - haven't put the label together yet :ssh:. I'm really happy about both wines; the 2013 is super friendly right now and I think the 2011 has a really great future ahead of it.

Abouriou sounds like a rough grape to make a varietal wine out of... any chance you can get a half-ton of something else and think about a blend? Wikipedia says very spicy, tannic, not much acidity... maybe a little Syrah for acid?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Kasumeat posted:

If you're going to make varietal Abouiou, you might as well make varietal Abouriou. Just get your acid in a bag and say you didn't, like 90% of new world producers do. Besides, unless you're using syrah verjus, California syrah might not always be soupy (though it often is) but it ain't exactly Chinon either.

Idk man, sounds pretty lame. If you're gonna fake it then what's the point of using weird grapes? Even so, I don't understand why so many people insist on making varietal wines out of blending grapes. I'm not saying you can only do it with the noble grapes, but there's probably a reason that its primary AOC allows Syrah and Merlot in there. And Cali Syrah holds its acid just fine if you aren't picking at 27 brix.

Also don't lie about your wine like a little baby bitch.

re: getting into Beaujolais etc - Jean-Paul Brun "L'Ancien" comes through Dressner so it shouldn't be too difficult to find, it's like 18 bucks, and it's just yummy, gulpable Gamay. Also Kermit Lynch imports Lapierre, and the "Raisins Gaulois" is another 15ish dollar wine that isn't crazy deep or anything, but it's super delicious.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

himajinga posted:

E: Also, I don't drink much if any California wine and can't really afford Bordeaux so I don't exactly know what is meant by "Parkerized" or what specifically his taste is (I've heard "big", "extracted", "sweet finish", what does "extraction" taste like?). Is there a wine that's less than say $40 that would be emblematic of that style so I have a reference point?
Honestly almost any Cali red wine from Trader Joes will probably give you an idea. You're looking for adjectives like jammy, raisined, oaky (or any oak indicators - caramel, toffee, butterscotch, etc). Probably relatively low acid and usually not very tannic, either.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It definitely looks like wine, I guess. Do you like drinking "Boy Meets Girl" Pinot grigio? Do you need cellar defenders?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
So here's the thing - when you see "SPARKLY GIRL CHARDONNAY HALF OFF!!!" it basically indicates the type of wine these guys are going to sell. The wine might not be "bad" in that it'll probably be unflawed, drinkable, and even enjoyable to a large section of the wine-drinking public. If that's you, go ahead and try it if you think you're getting your money's worth!

At the same time, if you're looking to learn more about wine or develop your palate there are better ways. If you have a friend with a wine bar go ahead and taste stuff, and figure out a) where you can buy the stuff you like and b) if there are any importer/distributor portfolios that you tend to enjoy. Part of the process is also figuring out value, and most of that is pretty personal. For example, I don't know Chinon super well, but Domaine Baudry's basic cuvee costs something like $15/btl and is a fantastic example of Loire Valley Cabernet franc. I think it's a great value. If you don't enjoy lighter, somewhat acidic wines with a good whack of bell pepper on top you might not want to spend $180 on a case, though. If you DO like that then look up the importer/distributor (Kermit Lynch in this case) and check out what else they carry. Chances are there'll be some themes you can explore, and hopefully it'll lead to other stuff you're interested in.
'

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the deal with nakedwines.com ? I got a $100 voucher, which looks like I can redeem on anything $160 or greater.

Is there anything worthwhile on their site?

see my posts directly above

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Go to Trader Joe's and buy some wine at similar price points. Do you like the wine? Then sure, $100 off is a good deal for you.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Secret Spoon posted:

Can anyone recommend me a solid Patagonian pinot? I had one a week ago that had hints of smoked meat and pepper that was amazing. I almost wanted to call it a syrah but it was too light.

Look into spatburgunder from Germany; it often has similar qualities re:smoked meat, pepper, savory stuff

P.S. im real mad about wine n stuff. who wants to start a natural wine slapfight. I bet all those poo poo rear end chardonnay people use like a billion ppm sulfur what a bunch of spoofulated bullshit wine

pps anyone follow the SF Chronicle? I just read their winemakers to watch/winemaker oty article and hoooooooooooly poo poo is the new person definitely not Jon Bonne

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 21, 2015

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Overwined posted:

It's totally maddening to me that the Natural Wine argument seems to solely revolve around sulfites. I feel like the wrong people got ahold of the agenda long ago and since then it's all anyone talks about. It's a valuable conversation, but it's sort of like talking about government. All it ever does is devolve into shitflinging over taxes.

Actually the new new natty wine mandate is that all natural wine must come from organic/biodynamic/purestrain horseplowed unpruned Fukuoka vineyards. I dunno man, I just make the stuff.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Secret Spoon posted:

Thanks, this is the post I needed, not the post I deserved.

Yeah I don't have a clue about South American Pinot. German Pinots can be loving awesome for that cured/smoked meats when you find them, tho.

Btw - how's your GI Bill thing work? Do you have to use it on school, or can you spend it doing other stuff? I'd seriously recommend you do back-to-back-to-back Northern/Southern hemisphere harvests with winemakers you're interested in rather than Davis or Fresno or something. If you want to do classes just take a few at Santa Rosa JC or Napa Valley College.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I opened an '07 or '09 of the Dupasquier Gamay a couple months back and it was the loving tits. Also popped an 06 Mondeuse of theirs a while ago and it was nice in an aged, nice wine kind of way but it was definitely past its prime. Still have a few bottles of their stuff poking around in my closet - another bottle of 06 Mondeuse, some 08 Marestel, and a mag of 09 Pinot.

Speaking of magnums, I dragged a bunch of people out for a magnum dinner in Bernal Heights the other week. The idea being that you start collecting wine and end up with a bunch of magnums and don't really have the chance to open them unless you're doing dinner with like 6 people, so if you can get like 12-14 people together you can pop a bunch of mags and eat a bunch of food. Worked really well; we opened up 8 mags of various stuff and had a good time; I'll holler when I set up the next one. Forgot I had that Pinot, and it'd probably be good to open it up soon.

I feel like I want to start pushing Lodi as the Beaujolais of CA. Yeah, there's a sea of industrial poo poo rear end 17% Zin, but I've been checking on my Tempranillo blend lately and it is loving on fire. Loads of sweet, red fruit in a light, very fresh way with a lovely balance to it, and just enough astringency/bitterness on the back-end to bring it round. I wanna say it's something like 13.3%, too. This wine is gonna be rad.

edit: Christmas wine is going to be some of my own stuff probably plus maybe a birth year bottle of 16.25% Coturri Cab that a friend just gave me. I have no clue at all what the Coturri is gonna do, so might as well pop it open and see what happens!

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Overwined posted:

Have you ever said which winery you work for, idiotsavant? I totally understand if you want to keep your internet life and real life separate, but I'd also be interested in seeking out your wines in my home state, if possible.

I work for me, baby! The wine is still only available in the SF Bay Area (pork, you might've had it at Terroir!), but I should have it in New York in the next couple of months. Super small quanitity at this point; my first commercial release is only about 150 cases. The reception has been really awesome, though - I love the places I've gotten it into, and they've almost all reordered at this point. Still feeling out the whole sales thing, though...

Anyways if you aren't in the area send me a PM and I can see about getting you a bottle or two.