Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

I know but I would love to see John Oliver take over the Daily Show.

I would love to see Larry Sanders take over the Daily Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I only started listening to the Bugle around episode 206, and as I'm working my way through the older episodes, I was struck by something. I'm up to 189, and John has made a second mention of "my friend, Wyatt", referring to Wyatt Cenac, who was on the Daily Show with him. On one hand, I think it's really great that they seem to be outside-of-work friends (as opposed to just "work friends"), because they're both hilarious. But on the other hand, now I'm even more depressed that Wyatt left the Daily Show a month or two ago. :smith:

I hope they still get to hang out with each other.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Another episode that the two of them go to Basketball games together. Also I think John will be there until he is forced to leave, given his own show, or is the new host.

I remember hearing that Wyatt pointed out all the black people sitting in their section had brought white guys with glasses.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heners_UK posted:

Everyone know's about the freight train of Chris jokes that is his Bugle wiki page right?
http://bugle.wikia.com/wiki/Chris_the_Producer

I didn't know there was a Bugle wiki, but now I have to read the whole stupid thing. :argh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhat a week it's been in sports!

But really that Norwegian gig sounded top-notch indeed.

Oh and by the way. Some poo poo is seriously about to hit the fan. Because:

:siren:British government to apologize to former colony over things Britain did in the past:siren:

I can see the queue from here.

I was just listening to the show where they talked about the Amritsa (sp?) massacre and the Koh-i-noor diamond. I love it when John hears the stories and cracks up, saying "We were cartoon villains!"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

I would not be shocked if the UK is working behind the scenes helping Greece's economy go down the shitter since they want to get some more exhibits.

New exhibit in the British Museum: the Parthenon.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

notaspy posted:

That pun run was like cumming after a long dry spell. Its the reaction from the others that makes it.

I love it when John detects an incoming pun run. Also when he warns that Andy still has another one ready to go. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I don't think I will ever get tired of hearing Zaltor and John make jokes about other countries. :allears:

(p.s. "Der Spiegel" is German for "The Spiegel".)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"...using either the world's longest nail or the world's longest balls."

[beat]

"Yeah, I can still do this."

:allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
John almost caused my death as I was driving to work this morning, thanks to Weird Al Yanukovych. :argh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BigRed0427 posted:

John Oliver's story about Quest Love was amazing.

John's mentioned Quest Love by name a few times before -- are they personal friends, or is it just that John loves his name?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

It was also a goon

That is excellent, and definitely something we should all be proud of. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

thexerox123 posted:

If you want to watch/support John's show, but don't get HBO, the first episode is on YouTube!

It's good, but it's just unsettling to look at John with carefully combed hair. He's not the same person if he's not all disheveled.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Well, poo poo. :(

I'm not mad at them, because I know I'd be unlikely to have lots of time for a podcast if I were in John's position. I just wish I could get more out of these guys.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Scorchy posted:

Here's the video of the shoplifting bit that John talks about at the beginning of this week's episode: https://vid.me/ULhc

That was pretty awesome, but how did a high-school teacher get twenty-eight thousand dollars to donate to charity?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

misdirectomy posted:

The reason there was no Bugle last week is because John went to Moscow and interviewed Edward Snowden instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M

So much great stuff here, although I think my favorite is the shot of the old KGB building through the window. I'm so happy for John; I was worried he would be doing a not-as-good copy of the Daily Show when he left for HBO. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tornhelm posted:

And that they called the Qatar win.

When did it go from being "kah-TAR" to "cutter"? I've even been hearing that from non-Britishers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Scorchy posted:

It was already monthly anyway, I'm just glad it's not cancelled.

Agreeing with this sentiment. I want more Bugle, but Last Week Tonight is great, and it's great that John's having success with it, so I can't complain very hard.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Dark One posted:

Rory Albanese was on the most recent episode of Harmontown. He drank some fan-made absinthe and hoo boy, basically turned into The American.

Other Bugle connections: a brief mention of John's piece on transgender rights, and some really lovely puns.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The black bar on the picture makes the story. :newlol:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

"This is a podcast, from the Bugle podcast dot com."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
John wrapped up his piece about Donald Trump's Mexico wall with a brief discussion of waffle irons, featuring a mention of everybody's favorite waffle-themed country, Belgium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU8dCYocuyI

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

njsykora posted:

Bugle update, John is formally leaving The Bugle and Andy will be going alone with guest hosts. Doesn't sound like its going to be the usual UK panel show crew though. Wyatt Cenac and Sarah Zaltzman named as confirmed guests.

So the Bugle is still alive. Sort of.

Wyatt Cenac is great. I hope they have him on a lot.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Analytic Engine posted:

Andy's sister Hellen's podcast The Allusionist is great btw

She puts on the most amazing '70s late-night disk jockey voice for that show. I love it. (Also, the things she says are cool and interesting.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
If you've enjoyed hearing Helen on the podcast, she's got two of her own, which are both worth listening to (although neither of them are political). "Answer Me This" and "The Allusionist" :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Squishy posted:

i was trying to think back to when I heard a weirder ad on a podcast and then I remembered years ago they were shilling historically accurate replica military helmets.

If I listened to that ad while drunk, I would seriously consider a pickelhaube. (Those are the WWI German helmets with one spike on top.) :black101:

• Locked thread