Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
"I normally make them with Gosling's and consider other rums a "variation" (Kraken is quite good)."

You cant make a dark and stormy with a spiced rum.

Also try mixing Goslings and a high quality root beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I like turtles posted:

I've been requested to make a halloween-ish themed alcoholic punch for, well, halloween. At this point, kinda thinking a handle of vodka, a bottle or two of wine, fruit juice of some sort (berry? mango?), cut with sprite or 7up or something. Toss some food safe glowsticks in there before the party to get it glowing. Maybe food dye? Possibly toss some dry ice in there every now and then?

It'll be in a big glass bottle with a tap on the bottom, so it should look good in that context

Obviously this isn't a fine cocktail, but I'd still like to make something tasty and not too expensive to get ~10 ~25 year olds sloshed and be themed well enough. Suggestions for wines, fruit juices, or entirely different relatively affordable party punches?

Amp energy drink and vodka with a dash of blue curacao on top floating.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I just caramelize the sugar before adding the water for my syrup, no need to add in a baking process. Just be mindful of your pot when making simple syrup.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I want to make batch cocktails for Thanksgiving. I want a pitcher of, say, 8 servings instead of shaking each one. I'll keep it in the fridge or freezer so they're ready to briefly stir & pour out.

My plan is to make a test cocktail tonight by carefully measuring the ingredients before ice & shaking, then measuring again after. The difference should be the amount of water that melted to dilute & balance the cocktail out. I would then add that amount of water to the ingredients in the pitcher, scaled up to the 8 servings.

My question is this: does shaking a cocktail improve the texture? Obviously it does in an egg white cocktail, but would you notice it in, say, a Bee's Knees (gin + lemon juice + honey syrup)? I'm not sure if there's any emulsifying going on or tiny bubbles on your tongue.

Shaking actually will impact the taste, the rule of thumb is that in less spirit forward drinks that are sweet or have citrus, shaking them and introducing air will balance them out.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I love my bitters, I have been playing with different bitters and sweeteners in my old fashioned’s to bring out different notes in the alcohol.

Fee brothers cherry - not good, very cough syrup like.

Woodford reserve cherry - great as a substitute for Angostura if the bourbon is on the sweeter side

Fee brothers black walnut - use maple syrup for an amazing combo with a strong bourbon or rye

Fee brothers Orange bitters - I paired this with some orange blossom honey and I swear it was like a breakfast bourbon cocktail.

Fee brothers Grapefruit - mixed with an Anejo tequila and some agave syrup for a Mexico old fashioned

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Dash them all, let don sort them out.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Jokes aside, dash until you like the cocktail. They really should put IBU on bitters so you can see the variations on brand and flavor but worst case you just drink more cocktails.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Get ready to do dishes and cut fruit and maybe ice as a bar back.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Speaking of old fashioned’s I made some tonight.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Orange is fine and I prefer it to angostura

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So every time I have seen the owner of pappy on a show he makes an old fashioned with muddled orange.

Don’t be like him.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Larceny is 90% of the way to pappy.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

There is a bar in Vegas called "The Tipsey Robot" which is like a version of this that cost a few hundred thousand and all it is good for is lovely sweet drinks.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Has anyone tried the Martini & Rossi Riserva Especiale vermouths? Are they worth a ~50% premium over Dolin?

Edit: I'm sure they have a use if they're any good, but I mean in the context of, like, a Fitty-Fitty Martini.

Vermouth is such a personal thing I would just buy it and try it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
http://www.rudotecnico.com/rudo.html

Like 10x better than 1800 and the same price

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Martini glass with a coffee sipping lid so your ice won’t fall out while you drink

Why does your martini have ice in it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Archenteron posted:

For Father's Day, my dad received bottles of Fee Brothers Grapefruit, Aztec Chocolate, and Gin Barrel-Aged Orange Bitters, but hasn't really touched them yet due to not knowing what they'd be good with.

Any general suggestions? He's primarily a bourbon and gin drinker with a little bit of rum and tequilas, but the liquor cabinet is fairly well-stocked.

Make a tequila old fashioned with the grapefruit bitters.

Make a bourbon old fashioned with the chocolate bitters (hint, use a caramel syrup not a simple syrup)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I have been tasked with making non-frozen strawberry daiquiri punch tomorrow. I am thinking of these proportions.

2 parts strawberry juice strained (Tossing strawberries in blender and then straining)
1 part fresh lime juice
3 parts white rum
1 part simple syrup.

Is it going to be too sweet then? I can easily take out the simple syrup.

I might just test the strawberry juice/lime juice with the fiance before to figure out the right ratio.

We can’t give you an answer as your using a fresh product, you could have the sweetest Berry’s on the planet or just tart little devil fruits.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

My company is launching next year and as lame as it sounds, I want to create a "corporate cocktail" for shits and giggles.
It's a joint venture -- the green company has put up 51% of the capital, and the red company has put up 49%. So already I have my colors and ratios.
When I think of green, Midori and Chartreuse are the first that come to mind. For red, campari, grenadine, or some sort of cherry/strawberry liqueur. Chambord and cassis are a bit too dark red.
Any suggestions? All I can come up with is a layered shot but that's not exactly a cocktail. Apparently it's possible to layer frozen cocktails as well, but I've never even tried that.

Doesn't have to be good or even drinkable. Considering the latter, a clear base should be fine as well.
I don't expect anyone to actually drink it ever. It's mostly just about nailing the colors.

Luxardo sangue morlacco liqueur

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
http://www.rudotecnico.com/index.html

I love Rudo Tequila so much.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

virinvictus posted:

So, what’s the go-to whiskey for an old fashioned? I’ve been drinking it this week with a Bulleit Rye, but some people suggest bourbon.

But, to be fair, people can’t even agree on how many dashes of angostura bitters or if there’s fruit in it or not.

The only traditional fruit is a orange peel expressed over the surface.

As for bourbon I like a wheated bourbon in a old fashioned, and Larceny hits on all the right notes for me.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
A wheated bourbon makes and excellent old fashioned, also there is no muddling of peel only of sugars and butters. The peel is for expressing over the top.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Honestly the OLD FASHIONED is a drink designed to cover up lovely spirit anyways so just make it however the gently caress you want. There is a ton of leeway in the drink and the idea that there was an proscribed way to make the drink at all is bunk

I'll fuckin fight you over the provenance of wisconsin old fashioned mate, there's a whole state that likes and enjoys muddled fruit in their old fashioned and I've had some positively fine Wisconsin OFs

Don’t Wisconsin old fashioned’s have sprite.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Gin and vermouth stirred while starring at an unopened bottle of vodka.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Petition to change the subtitle of this thread to : “Angry fruit salad chat”

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The Maestro posted:

That’s all fascinating, but what rum should I use in a Dark N Stormy?

Goslings.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Biomute posted:

Trademarked drinks are stupid, and so are most brand-specific cocktails. I might have defended the use of Rose's lime juice in a gimlet, but the actual product recipe has changed so much at this point that you don't really get any hipster cred to offset the absence of fresh citrus.

I mean I kinda get it, they want that brand name power soda has. I mean it’s like if I go to a bar and order a captain and coke, when they ask if Bacardi is ok I simply respond “No, I want it to take like zippo fluid, not kerosene.”

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I made an old fashioned with 100 proof knob creek and galliano last night and it was surprisingly really good. 6 dashes of bitters, orange and ango, no sugar (gall is sweet enough). Floral and smooth, slight anise bite.

This is actually called an “improved Whiskey Cocktail” , normally it’s done with maraschino liquor or galliano sounds nice.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Anybody do saline solution or a pinch of salt in their drinks? I need to do a side-by-side, but it seems like a reasonable theory.

https://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/4/20/11466792/cocktail-bartending-mixology-tricks-daiquiri-recipe

I actually always salt my margarita in the glass and never on the rim.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Carillon posted:

Anyone have any fun recipes that use pineapple syrup? I made some on a lark to use up some pineapple and want to find some fun things to do with other than just old fashioneds.

Use with fresh lime and tequila for a nice pineapple margarita.

Bonus points if you char some pineapple as a garnish.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I went to cutwater spirits this weekend, pretty decent stuff. Would be interesting to use as a jumping off point to make cocktails with a canned cocktail as an ingredient or base.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

*buys cutwater rum and coke*

Hmm pretty good...needs something though..

*pours more coke in can*

:discourse:

I was thinking of taking their Paloma which was a bit dry and adding gran mariner and a squeeze of lime.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Their premade cocktails are Almost there. Nothing against Cutwater personally, but I think they're a so-so liquor.

If I'm making a rum n coke, I'm not really trying to spend more then I need too. If I wanna be fancy I'll throw a lime in there and call it a Cuba Libre and confuse everyone.

Yea, I was eyeing their bourbon until I saw they wanted $30 for 1.5 oz.

Considering what I can get for $30 at a whisky bar.... I passed.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

I'm going to Las Vegas for a few days. Are there any bars I should try to visit while I'm there?

Toast Museum posted:

I'm going to Las Vegas for a few days. Are there any bars I should try to visit while I'm there?

The Golden Tiki

Strip house at PHW has an amazing barrel aged old fashioned also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

I have a bunch of peach brandy leftover from making a punch. It's pretty terrible on its own. Any decent cocktails I can make with it?

Make spiked Bellinis with the brandy added to the Prosecco and nectar.