Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been meaning to write up a short effort post because I have many questions due to being new to this hobby. Well, for me a hobby. But I think I will just ask these two or three questions:

I've made a few of my own syrups and am storing them in the fridge. How do I know when they have gone bad? I've read that they can last up to a month but one of them is a month old now and seems totally fine. Another is 3 weeks old and looks exactly the same. For reference the older one is a semi-rich demerara and the other one is a 1:1 simple.

I want to make a zombie and know that to do it properly I need a dem. overproof. I'm leaning towards the hamilton 151 but I would have to order it which bumps the cost. I can go to my local total wine and get the OFTD or the Lemon Hart. Any thoughts on which way I should go here?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got the Hamilton. Thanks for the advice.

E: Should be able to make my Zombie this weekend. I just realized the one thing I am missing now is a good tiki mug. Any suggestions? I've seen some $$$ ones on ebay but I can't see myself paying $100 for a cup.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 30, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've read that honey syrup has a shelf life. I'm a bit confused by this. Honey doesn't. Neither does water. So why do the two combined have one?

I don't really understand why simple syrups go bad, either but I can see it due to changing the form of the sugar does change it. But honey syrup? I feel like I am missing something here.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh. So my 2:1 dem syrup is fine in the fridge? It won't go bad?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah, all life requires water availability, a source of energy, and a safe pH. Honey has low water availability and relatively acidic pH, but diluted honey changes both of these. Water on the other hand is ready for life to grow but has no energy source*, which the added honey provides.

2:1 simple has less water availability and won't spoil as quickly, but it still can over months. Watch for cloudiness and for flavorings to go muddy.

*light for photosynthesis is available of course, but life also requires micronutrients.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll keep an eye out for cloudiness.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BrianBoitano posted:

I've been gross sick for over a week. Give me your cocktail recipes that include my son's orange pedialyte please and thank you

2 oz orange pedialyte
1 oz pineapple juice
.5 oz lime juice
.5 oz orgeat
2 oz light rum

Garnish with mint

I call it a My Tyke

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 28, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

obi_ant posted:

Suggestions for jiggers with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etched on the inside, either a Japanese style one or a bell style? Lots of my drinks call for a 1/4 ingredient, but my stupid jigger only has 1/2 and 3/4 so I'm just doing half way to 1/2...

Edit: I think I found one! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN729TD/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A5HWA6F90HLJ9&th=1

The OXO jigger is great. It doesn't have a 2 oz, though. It's 1.5 / 3/4 on one side. and 1/4, 1/2, 1 on the other. It also has a nice rubber grip and it's only $12 or so.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-3105000-...ps%2C255&sr=8-3

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Virgin Mai Tai:

2 - OJ
1 - pineapple juice
.5 - lime juice
.25 - orgeat
.25 - simple

Shake w/ crushed ice. Open pour into a lowball.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't ango 40% alc?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And there are some people who are allergic or have liver issues. Not sure that's enough to get them sick but ya never know.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't the Amaro Nonino the key ingredient? I mean, you can use pretty much any lemons or any bourbon and I guess it has to have Aperol, too. But the Amaro Nonino is what makes it a paper plane. So using something else would make it a different drink, wouldn't it?

Kinda like a Dark n Stormy but if you use Hamilton Black, it is no longer a DnS.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kenning posted:

I despite Meyer lemons.

I thought Meyer are the good ones.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is Probitas worth getting over other good white rums like Plantation 3 stars white? It looks pretty cool. I like the bolder British style ones even for whites.

I've been looking at that one, too. It's among the highest rated light/whites on rumratings:

https://rumratings.com/rum?company_id=&letter=&location=&min_rating=&order_by=average_rating&page=&rum_type=Light&search=

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I really like the El Dorado 3 year for my white. It's smooth and has a nice flavor.

I'll add a little of the Wray & Nephew to things to add some flavor. But not more than 1/4. It's just too strong that it overpowers everything around it.

I also have a bottle of Clairin Le Rocher which is potent. Kinda like the W&N but not as harsh and it's very flavorful.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carillon posted:

I found Havana Club recently and have been using that for most/all of my white rum needs. It's pretty cheap so I don't wanna hoard it, but often find I can taste it if it's a simpler cocktail.

Isn't Havana Club unavailable in the US?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I looked it up and it looks like there are two. The original and one made by bacardi to profit off the originals name. Or maybe it's the reverse.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can also find $20 375 ml bottle of Dom Benedictine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is the Torino orgeat okay? It's the one I use and it seems fine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was curious about the Aviation but didn't really want to buy the Creme de Violette for a single drink. So I looked to see if I could find a tiki drink that uses it and found this:

https://ohsobeautifulpaper.com/2015/07/friday-happy-hour-the-ghost-flower-tiki-cocktail-recipe/

Wow! This drink was amazing. Everyone who tasted it thought it was great. I did not expect it to be this good. But this is among my favorite drinks now.

The Ghost Flower
2 oz Silver Rum

1 oz Lime Juice

3/4 oz Pineapple Juice

1/2 oz St-Germain

1/2 oz Creme de Violette

1/2 oz Orgeat

Shake w/ ice. I open poured but the recipe says to strain in one place and strain over ice in another. I just put it in a mai tai glass and didn't use the garnish.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got the R&W because I really like their apricot liqueur. Also, it was available at my Total Wine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I made it again last night but this time went 50/50 on light/dark rum. Don't do that. Stick with the light rum 100%.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's not even the correct recipe for a zombie if you fix the typo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
IIRC, part of the shaking process is to aerate the citrus which helps to mellow it out a bit. While the ice, at the same time, is helping to dilute the mixture.

If you care to share, what drinks are you making?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I use basically that method, but I don't crack a 2nd cube. I could have sworn he said 2 small 1 big.

E: just double checked and yeah, he says 2 small, 1 big on pg 97 of Liquid Experience. That chapter on ice is pretty crazy. I mean, it's essentially a textbook on making cocktails, so of course you need a chapter on ice.

Greg on how to drink cracks his 2nd cube, though and I think I've seen him say he took Arnolds method and made it his own.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 3, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty sure the 1 big, 2 little is for when you strain the ice. The other benefit of not cracking the big cube is you don't end up with a bunch of tiny ice shards that could end up in your drink. Unless you double strain, of course.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sashimi posted:

Is there any drawback to squeezing a bunch of lemons or limes all at once, and leaving the juices in the fridge?

Besides only lasting a day or so?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone have knowledge of the Hamilton line? I have the 151 and the black. I'm curious about the gold and the white and the 86. The 86 I am guessing is very similar to the 151, just more mellow. Also, I see they have St. Lucia and Florida Society rums which I have no idea what those are.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a couple friends coming by for drinks later. I asked one if he had any requests and he wants a Long Island. I can do that but I don't find the drink interesting at all. I enjoy making tiki drinks, mainly. But classic cocktails are fun, too. There's something to be said for using the mixing glass and taking the time to stir it up and improve my stirring skills.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to make the LIIT more interesting?

Assume I am working from the standard:

1 lemon
1 gin
1 tequila
1 vodka
1 rum
.5 triple sec
shake w/ ice.
top w/ some coke.

e: and I know that it's what he wants. and I should respect that. I just was hoping to take things up a notch, that's all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Scythe posted:

It's hard to make a LIIT better without making it "not a LIIT," depending on how picky he is.

I'd say the best thing to do, assuming he really does want a LIIT, is lean into great technique: use good ingredients (middle-shelf-or-above liquors, Cointreau or Grand Marnier instead of bad triple sec, etc), strain out your shaking ice and use fresh ice for service, use a pre-frozen glass. I'd also consider adding some lemon or lime (especially if your triple sec is sweet), and consider fun garnishes (a big bunch of mint sounds nice).

Haw! I do all that already. Another friend told me my LIIT tastes exactly how he imagines one to taste. I just feel like the chef who is asked to cook the ribeye well done.

The Bandit posted:

What spirits do you have in hand?

Lots and lots of rum.

And then the staples, for the most part. I don't have irish/scotch whiskey, but I do have rye and bourbon. I have blanco tequila but not anejo. I have a bunch of flavored type things like st germain. I don't have either chartreuse or amaretto.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hadn't thought of adding bitters. Forgot to list the syrup in my initial list. But the bitters should be just what it needs to pep it up a bit.

I guess I could use an agricole rum to spark some more flavor in there, too. Or an aged rum. Or both.

Thanks!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The LIIT I made:

.5 cinnamon syrup (homemade)
2 dash angostura
1 lemon
1 plymouth gin
1 hangar 1 vodka
1 7 leguas tequila
.5 clairin rocher rum
.5 mt gay xo rum

I used the XO because it "was" his bottle that he brought back from the distillery in barbados. Then his wife brought it over for girls night last week and gave it to me.

After the LIIT, I made him his first mojito and then a paper plane.

I made myself the royal hawaiian version of a mai tai. I prefer the original.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Why would a cosmo be bad other than the fact that it uses vodka which is basically pointless? I’m saying I like cosmos.

I'd add that it has cranberry juice. So that and vodka is a very bad start.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Get some Hamiltons? Those are more geared towards mixing, though.
For haitian try https://rumratings.com/rum/7141-clairin-le-rocher It's pretty intense.
You might also want to get an El Dorado.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

obi_ant posted:

No Boukman at my local shop. I was able to pick up a Hamilton 8 and Hamilton LROK The Younger. The Clairin Le Rocher is interesting, will have to hunt this down another day though.

What is up with the Hamilton stuff? Just some dude who's a purveyor of single casks like Foursquare?

Was able to take a pour of the El Dorado 12. It's sweet, round and dangerously easy drinking. No funk in this thing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it reminds me of bourbon.

Pretty sure he tells his story in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljC673n3Wo

Hamilton, that is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like in the vid how Spike is trying to measure stuff and Ed is like "who cares, just pour the stuff in."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

obi_ant posted:

I'll put that on my running hit list. Would you suggest the anejo or regular stuff?

Clairin Le Rocher is on my short list.

Are you in a place you can order stuff online?

chips liquor and mission liquor in Southern California delivery to a lot of states.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish I had something like that. I have total wine, which is pretty good but roughly 1/2 (or more) of things I am looking for are not available. So I've ordered a couple times from chips liquor. My justification for the $15 or so in shipping is if I get 3 bottles then they cost slightly more than they would be retail, but at least I get them.

I miss living in a biggish city.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

AlexDeGruven posted:

As a lol, I picked up a bottle of barrel aged Malort at my local place. Should be fun for vacation next month.

An interesting type of self-own.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What tonic/seltzer/mineral water do you recommend? I ran out of topo chico so tossed some pelegrino in a mojito and no thanks. Pelegrino's flavor just sticks out to much. Topo chico seems okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bitters and water? That's a thing?