Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I have decided to become a Tiki Guy.

I may have gone a little overboard yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MrYenko posted:

:hmmyes:

It’s a bit tough to find, but do yourself a favor and beg/borrow/steal a bottle of Smith and Cross.

I looked for it but wasn't able to find any at three different liquor stores. Not a whole lot of rum choice in Lincoln, Nebraska unfortunately. Fairly happy with what I was able to find though!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Is there a good place to order rum online? Before I made a special trip to the city to buy all this I made a big selection from an online store in California only to discover that they don't ship spirits outside of the state :downs:

I don't think my local liquor store stocks anything fancier than Bacardi so I doubt they'd be willing to order a case of Smith and Cross just so I can buy a couple of bottles.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kenning posted:

I know you're a man who appreciates Tiki, so I highly recommend

Hell in the Pacific

3/4 oz. lime
1/2 oz .maraschino
1/4 oz. grenadine
1 1/2 oz. 151 Demerara rum (Lemon Hart or whatever)

Shake with lots of crushed ice and pour unstrained into a a pilsner glass.

Just made this and it's pretty good! My cherry syrup seems to be a little cough syrupy though so I think that might be hurting it a bit. Still very drinkable.

edit: lol just realized it's supposed to be maraschino *liqueur* not syrup. Oh well still turned out ok!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 8, 2021

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I made a Saturn last night and it was probably the best cocktail I've ever had. I made a second one after because the first was so good.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
+1 for Total Tiki being great. That's kinda what pushed me over the edge into buying a ton of tiki stuff recently.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

eSports Chaebol posted:

For what appears at first glance to be a gimmick, it is v much not gimmicky

What's gimmicky about it? Just that it's Japanese?

I know very little about gin although I've really liked just about every cocktail I can remember ordering that had it, and I've loved all three tiki cocktails I've made that have used it so far. I think I might be a gin guy. It just doesn't seem very popular around here for some reason so I haven't been exposed to it very much.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommend me a dark (black) rum that isn't full of additives, and is otherwise good in something like a Dark N Stormy. I used Goslings in the past, looking to upgrade and cut out food coloring / bullshit sweeteners / etc.

Price around.. $30ish, or a bit more if there's something that much better

e: found this, but don't know what to make of any of those brands https://thefatrumpirate.com/hydrometer-tests-2

As a rum newbie my impression is that black rum as a category exists entirely because of added coloring. So what you're asking for doesn't really exist I think?

https://cocktailwonk.com/2017/02/black-rum-setting-the-record-straight.html

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 25, 2021

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

Edit: also, Campari, so you can join the jungle bird gang!

I made one tonight with Aperol instead of Campari. Hamilton Jamaican pot still black rum for the rum. Very funky! Definitely an interesting cocktail. I'm not a big pineapple juice lover (although I love pineapple) but it works well!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

prayer group posted:

what in the world

It's kind of...overpowering? in a cocktail, I think.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Toebone posted:

Edit 2: where does one find a tiki mug that is 1) not racist and 2) not some dumb nerd thing. All the ones google turned up are ooga-booga or R2D2

I mean, the whole faux-Polynesian aesthetic of tiki could probably be construed as racist if you think about it too hard. Not a whole lot of alternative to silly pop culture stuff if you're ruling out every mug that's appropriating Polynesian art styles.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I trust the opinion of someone who drinks Blood and Sands at a steakhouse, yes

Better than steaks at a cocktail bar :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Made a Yellow Submarine from the Total Tiki app and it is good as hell.

1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/4 oz creme de banana
1/4 oz white creme de cacao
1/4 oz sugar syrup
1 1/2 oz gold virgin islands rum (I used Plantation 3 Star.)

Shake with ice cubes, pour unstrained into glass and add more ice to fill.

The Tempus Fugit creme de cacao and creme de banana are amazing, especially the banana. I'm surprised the flavors for those come through so well but I guess a little goes a long way.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

Also bartender pet peeves: "What's the best drink here?" or "What's your favorite drink?" when unsure about what to get. I've heard someone use both in a row.

Why not just make them your favorite drink then? Seems like they're making it pretty easy for you asking that unless you like something weird that everyone else hates.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I made a Hinky Dinks Fizzy and it's pretty good. Rothman & Winter apricot liqueur tastes amazing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
https://www.astorwines.com was able/willing to ship me a LOT of liquor I couldn't find in Nebraska when no one else would ship here. Maybe they'd ship to NC too?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Luxardo does make a cherry liqeuer called Sangue Morlacco that should be pretty similar though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Man, these forums are filled with inane posts from people just chilling and shooting the poo poo. You don't have to be an rear end about it lol.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

Total Tiki does that, but obviously only for tropical drinks.

The same company has a few other apps that also do that and they have more variety.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I got a small Mini fridge that I put next to the bar specifically for this reason. All of my bar citrus, syrups, and anything else that needs refrigeration goes in there and stays out of the main fridge.

This is a really good idea since all my tiki syrup bottles are seriously loving up my fridge space.

edit: oops forgot I was catching up on the thread and that was a month old post heh

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I liked this one a lot.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 24, 2021

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Apricole Swizzle is pretty good. https://cocktailwonk.com/2017/05/apricole-swizzle.html

I'm always trying to find new drinks to use apricot liqueur in because this Rothman & Winter Apricot tastes so good I'm always tempted to just pour a glass and sip it even though I really don't like sipping straight liquors.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Who makes the best celery bitters? Not normally something I'd be interested in but I'd like to try that Fourth Regiment everyone was just raving about.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
So what's the deal with grappa? Italian toilet brandy?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Missing Name posted:

Coffee and grappa was awful. Top's brand sugar free cherry sparkling beverage and grappa was also awful.

Thankfully, the bottle is now empty.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Yeah I bought all my syrups in February, put a shot of vodka in each one after opening it for the first time and nothing has shown any sign of going bad yet. Definitely will not buy 750ml bottles next time though!

Also I tried an Oceanside last night and really, really liked it.

2 oz gin
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz simple syrup
Dash of celery bitters
Pinch of sea salt

Shake with ice and strain into a chilled coup.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I was in the city yesterday hanging out with a friend and figured I'd swing by the big liquor store I used to work at in college to see if I could find a few things that I can't buy in my little town (that being almost everything that's not whiskey or vodka). I found a bunch of stuff and on a whim I picked up a heavily clearanced bottle of BarSol Pisco that had been sitting on the shelf for many years. Is it worth drinking or have I basically purchased Peruvian Grappa?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Thank you all for your Pisco recommendations. Glad to know it's not garbage!

I made a Bijou tonight and while it was very interesting I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't particularly like sweet vermouth. Or at least I don't particularly like the Martini & Rossi Rosso I've been using. Are red/sweet vermouths generally pretty similar or should I give a different brand a chance?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Scythe posted:

You should try a different brand (Dolin was a good rec), but also: how old is your bottle, and how are you storing it? Sweet vermouth can oxidize (cardboard flavor) pretty badly if it's open and warm or exposed to sunlight. You should be keeping unopened bottles in a cool, dark place and opened bottles in the fridge, and buying bottles small enough that you can use them up in a couple of weeks once open. I think a lot of people think they don't like vermouth and just have only had dusty old spoiled garbage.

It's probably a week and a half old, tastes the same as when I opened it and it has been in the fridge any time I haven't been using it. I haven't used a vacuum sealing topper but I have one on the way. No idea how long it was sitting at the liquor store but the bottle doesn't look old or dusty and it was sealed normally. 375ml bottle which is the smallest they had.

I don't think it tastes anything like cardboard and I can see how people might like it, it's quite complex. I just don't seem to really enjoy the flavor myself. I've made 4-5 drinks with it hoping it would grow on me but it doesn't seem to have made much progress. I'll definitely try another brand when I get the chance though, maybe it's just a Pepsi vs Coke kind of thing :v:

In the mean time I've got Martini & Rossi extra dry and a blanco vermouth from a different brand to try out.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 23, 2021

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
drat Lillet Blanc is good. I bought a bottle a couple months ago and I just opened it a few days ago to try it in some cocktails. Smells so good I'm having a glass of it by itself with dinner tonight.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Fireball+rumchata is legit pretty good. Adds more alcohol to the rumchata and masks the unpleasantness of the Fireball, and the flavors mix well together.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

A God drat Ghost posted:

Tempus Fugit makes a delicious creme de cacao.

Their creme de banana is wonderful too. If you enjoy the smell of bananas it smells incredible. Not a ton of cocktails that use the banana though. Banana life and Yellow Submarine are both good ones. Yellow Submarine also uses creme de cacao.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Apricole Swizzle is really good: https://cocktailwonk.com/2017/05/apricole-swizzle.html

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm making an online order to buy stuff that I otherwise cannot find whatsoever in this state (yellow chartreuse, montenegro). You guys have mentioned Cynar a lot but frankly I don't go through bottles very quickly so I'm hesitant to buy low ABV things like that because unless I really, really love it (Lillet!) it'll probably go bad or lose most of it's flavor before I get a third of the way through. Is the Cynar 70 proof a worthwhile substitute? I assume it will last for years no problem whereas the regular probably won't?

Also any other suggestions for stuff that's good for cocktails that I probably can't find in Nebraska are welcome :v: There's a couple pretty decent liquor stores in Lincoln but they still don't have probably 40% of the stuff I look for when I go looking to expand my options.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 17, 2022

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I tried a shot of fernet branca a couple months ago and that was maybe the worst thing I've ever drank. Truly some foul flavors at work there.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
People might gasp in horror at this but I bought way too many tiki related syrups in ~February 2021 and I immediately put in a shot or two of vodka after using each one for the first time and none of them seem to have gone bad yet. Zero mold or or anything and they taste fine. I've been thinking about replacing them just on principle but :effort:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Volcott posted:

Not sure if there's a more appropriate place to ask this, but how long will an unopened bottle of spirits keep? I was given two bottles of whiskey a good 10 years ago that I just rediscovered in the back of a pantry.

Were they opened? If unopened and kept in a cool spot out of the sun they should stay good more or less indefinitely. Even if opened they won't really go bad but some of the alcohol and/or volatiles might evaporate and the flavors will weaken or change.

This only applies to spirits though. Lower ABV stuff (<20% or so?) might eventually go bad once opened and wine based stuff will spoil after a few days to months once opened, much depending on exactly what it is and how it is stored after being opened.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 24, 2022

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I just bought a bottle of Daron calvados yesterday on a whim. Any good?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Daron is good! Nice in cocktails, though it can get lost of you're mixing with amari and other heavy duty flavorings.

Awesome, glad I lucked out. There's between 0 and 2 choices for most relatively uncommon stuff like calvados at even the nicest liquor stores here so I just kind of pick stuff by vibe when buying stuff to expand my cocktail options :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Fart Car '97 posted:

Ehhhhhh, it's very one-note. I would consider it a cocktail calvados at best.

Calvados distribution is very sporadic and scattered. It's hard to recommend one without knowing what's in the area, but the good ones I see around regularly are Domaine Dupont, Busnel, and Christian Drouin

I plan on using it for cocktails so that's fine. I'll look for those others next time I'm there although it'll probably be a few months. IIRC there was only one other besides Daron but I can't remember what it was.