Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Anyone have advice on cool things to make with forced carbonation equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Force-carbonated manhattans are actually pretty good.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What brand grenadine should I get? I'll look at maybe getting a cheap shaker set and a juicer. Not one of those juice machines, just the thing you push the citrus down onto to squeeze it out.
Just buy some pomegranate juice and add sugar. It's a somewhat silly ingredient to buy premade.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a cheaper liqueur similar to cointreau? Thinking about this reminded me that I have most of a bottle of Remy Martin VS that I bought about half a year ago. It turns out, I don't really like brandy by itself. It's not bad, it's just too similar to whiskey, and I prefer whiskey. I do like sidecars, but I don't like spending another $40 on a bottle of cointreau, since the recipe I saw for a sidecar is 1/1/1 brandy, lemon, and cointreau.
I think triple sec is the usual substitute.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
If anybody has specific carbonated cocktail recipes to recommend, I'd be interested to see them. I've got a bunch of CO2 but haven't experimented too much yet. I did discover that mixing some rum and liqueur (my favorite so far is Heering) into heavy cream and carbonating that produces a delicious rich foam you can eat with a spoon (or even a fork, if you are so inclined). Carbonated Manhattans are pretty good, too.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Experimentation report: Carbonated margaritas are excellent.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Devoz posted:

I recently got the Mastrad Purefizz, for making soda and playing around with carbonating my own cocktails.
Great to see someone else experimenting with carbonated cocktails! I built myself a carbonation system that works on soda bottles and uses a standard 20lb CO2 tank. It costs a bit more up front, but a single fill has lasted more than a year and there's no waste.

I've rather enjoyed fizzy Manhattans and Margaritas both, and I haven't used bottled tonic water in ages. The general rule of thumb is to carbonate sweet drinks, or make drinks a bit sweeter if they're going to be carbonated, because the dissolved CO2 forms carbonic acid, which, like any acid, tastes sour and can be balanced out by sugar. Also, be very careful with dairy products; they foam into many, many times their volume. Meanwhile, egg white doesn't absorb CO2 much at all.

Looking forward to hearing of any other successes you have!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Egg whites shouldn't be increasing in volume in a strict sense as you shake them, just incorporating the air that's already contained inside the shaker. That should have no effect on the pressure. Of course, that still leaves the absence of phase-change driven pressure differential from ice to bite you.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Bubz posted:

Are you able to elaborate? Why is it dumb and why does it make more sense in reverse order?
The thread just went over this. It's dumb because getting a good seal in a conventional shaker requires having cold ingredients. It makes more sense in reverse order because your ingredients are cold that way.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
That makes a lot of sense. I just made a rye maple fizz inspired by this thread (used seriouseats' recipe, it was too lemony and weird) which called for an initial no-ice shake, and the egg came out quite nice and smooth, while my previous egg white drinks have always been offputtingly clumpy.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I dump a pound of ginger directly into a 1kW centrifugal juicer and get 250-500ml of ginger juice so strong that a teaspoon will completely overpower most drinks. Suffice to say this lasts me a while. Add in my carbonation equipment and buying ginger ale/beer just can't compete, even ignoring quality.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

angor posted:

This post made me realize that there's a million juice places around me that all have commercial juicers. I can probably walk into any one of them with a kilo of ginger and a couple bucks and they'll juice it for me. Thanks!
I never even thought of trying that. Let us know how it works out! With powerful equipment, a kilo of ginger will produce more ginger juice than you'll know what to do with unless you're making huge bowls of punch or something. Be prepared to freeze some.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need to make a carbonation rig. Does anyone have a DIY one that doesn't involve shaking the bottle or buying a sodastream? I want to try making stevia-sweetened ginger beer, but you can't naturally ferment/carbonate with stevia.

I have a juicer. I'm not sure how strong it is, but it should do.
Shaking the bottle is a necessary step--you have to literally mix the CO2 in, or else it won't dissolve in any reasonable amount of time. Why do you want to avoid that? You don't even need to shake any more than you do a good cocktail. Less, really.

Assuming you're willing to see the light and do a little light shaking, here's your shopping list. Unless otherwise noted, I strongly recommend the specific item linked over alternatives.

This should run you a bit under $200 in total. My 20lb CO2 tank has lasted me more than a year and a half on its first fill, so don't be afraid to go smaller, but it only costs $15 to fill a 20lb tank, so don't be afraid to go big either. :shrug:

Assembly:
  1. Remove the hose barb outlet fitting/cutoff/check valve assembly from the regulator
  2. Wrap a couple layers of teflon tape around the NPT threads (those are the ones that don't have a smooth tapered bit at the end) of the new JIC 37° output fitting, being careful to wind in the same direction as the threads so it doesn't bunch up when you screw it in
  3. Securely wrench the new fitting in place of the old one. You can use a fair amount of force here (NPT makes a seal by the threads squishing against eachother) but be careful that the shutoff valve ends up at a convenient angle when you're done wrenching, and don't strip anything.
  4. Screw the hose onto the output fitting on the regulator and onto the CMB gas outlet. Do not use a wrench--this only needs to be finger-tight.
  5. Screw the regulator onto the CO2 tank, using only moderate force. The seal here is made by an O-ring, so you only need to use enough force to be sure it's securely squished up against the tank opening

Use:
  1. Fill a soda bottle with something you want to be fizzy. Be sure it's very cold--CO2 dissolves much better in cold liquid. Leave 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottle empty. If you can, shove some ice cubes in there with it to cool it down even more.
  2. Squish all the remaining air out of the bottle and screw "The Carbonator" onto it. You don't need to use too much force here, again, there's an O-ring.
  3. Set the regulator to the desired pressure as per its instructoins (I use 50PSI)
  4. Open the tank valve
  5. Open the cutoff valve
  6. Pull back on the ring of the CMB gas outlet and shove it down on the peg of "The Carbonator" for a second, then remove it. The bottle should pressurize dramatically.
  7. Shake vigorously. If what you're carbonating is mostly water and/or alcohol, the pressure should disappear from the bottle as the CO2 dissolves.
  8. Repeat previous two steps until shaking no longer results in a noticable pressure drop. Do not leave the gas outlet attached while shaking, or you'll get liquid into the hose, which will have to be cleaned out if you don't want crap growing in there.
  9. Close valves
  10. Leave the bottle to sit and settle for a little while to reduce foaming
  11. Open very carefully, watching for excessive foaming. If there's milk or cream in whatever you just carbonated, god help you.

If your system is perfectly assembled, you can in theory leave all the valves open and nothing will leak.

When considering drinks for carbonation, remember that dissolved CO2 in water forms carbonic acid, which means it'll make things somewhat more tart.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 5, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
What are some good things to do with lilet blanc? I got a bottle to make corpse reviver no. 2s with, and those are great, but I'm interested in other uses. Especially something where the lilet is more forward.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, after reading this thread, I have an insatiable lust for a negroni. However, I don't want to drop $20 on a bottle of campari if I am never going to drink it again. Thoughts? (Never had a negroni)
Get a cocktail recipe book and learn to do more than one thing with campari.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I've never had a beer cocktail that wasn't amazing. I wish they were more common. Haven't made any myself yet though; anyone know some good recipes?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I've had a bottle of amaretto sitting mostly untouched for more than a year until I finally tried making an amaretto sour. 1.5 amaretto, 1 simple, 0.75 lemon, on the rocks. The lemon goes a long way to balance out the otherwise overbearingly sweet liqueur, and while the result is still very close to being too sweet, it's nonetheless delicious, and has motivated me to seek out some other good recipes. Recommendations?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I currently have Di Angela, which is much too sweet. In my defense, I bought this bottle back before I decided I was going to do mixed drinks properly. I too would be interested to know what to replace it with.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Kenning posted:

Why would you put simple in an AmSour? Just use 1.5 oz amaretto, .75 oz lemon juice, and .5 oz bonded apple brandy. And maybe a dash of orange juice if you've just got it laying around. That's how I make mine.
Because that's what the first credible recipe I found called for, and it tasted good. And I'm out of calvados.

Which amaretto do you favor?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Brandy or light rum would be good, IMO.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

tynam posted:

Well, the theory is that the sugar grains abrasion aids in bringing out the oils in whatever you're muddling (mint/orange peels etc), so larger, coarser sugar grains might actually work better but dissolve slower.
More importantly, sugar (or salt) will draw the juices out of whatever you're muddling by osmosis. How effective this is depends on what you're muddling, but nearly anything that has some form of water inside it should show substantial effects. For a compelling demonstration, try placing an apple slice on a bed of sugar.

I think smaller grains will actually have the strongest osmotic effect.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

bloody ghost titty posted:

Nice science, NERDS, but the practical result is the same, thanks for playing. :engleft:
Someone was uncertain whether muddling with sugar had any effect, and what type of sugar would maximize it. Now they know.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Herr Tog posted:

what brand of bubbly water is goon approved for making Italian sodas and cocktails that may call for bubbles?
The kind you make your self effectively for free.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Herr Tog posted:

please tell me more
I made an effortpost a while ago. It does not involve soda siphons or cartridges.

There's literally no reason to use mineral water. You can even get the same additives yourself if you really want those so-subtle-they're-irrelevant trace tastes.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
It amoritzes pretty nicely if you drink a lot of fizzy stuff :shrug:

Especially compared to overpriced crap like sodastream.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

bunnyofdoom posted:

Any good reciepes with disarono? Found an almost full bottle in my liquorvcabinet
Disaronno is an amaretto. Just a page or two ago we were talking about how tasty amaretto sours are! Good hot weather drink too, IMO.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

pgroce posted:

I have no good recipe for you, but I was just thinking about this thread earlier today and wondered if the guy with the CO2 rig (or anyone, really) had carbonated cold-brewed coffee yet. Add a little honey, and that could get awfully tasty.

....oh, yeah, cocktail thread. Uh, add some bourbon? Or maybe an amaro.
No, but now I'm going to the next time I pick some up. That sounds pretty good. Though carbonating stuff with dairy in it is always a little risky.

Maybe benedictine in place of the honey?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I bet blackberry would go great with quinine. Mix it with tonic? Or maybe add a small amount to mezcal.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Hard to go wrong with a good dash of lime juice if you have it handy. Most tonic water/syrup is reasonably citrusy to begin with, so it won't make or break the drink.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I was mourning my lack of ice cream the other night and improvised a drink I was quite pleased with: 1 part Art in the Age Root liqueur, 1/4 part cointreau, 2 parts whole milk; shake with ice, strain. I think it'd be pretty good with a dark rum and a touch of cocchi americano in place of the Root, too.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Is there just not enough of a market for imports yet?

Even then--perhaps especially then--I'm surprised nobody's gone to the effort to work out how to make better quality liquor locally.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Oh hey a bunch of posts there must be some great discussion going--:stare:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Should I be using powdered sugar for simple? This syrup just turned into sludge and the sugar never completely dissolved.
Powdered sugar typically has a declumping agent mixed in. If you want a sugar that dissolves more easily, use baker's sugar, which is just plain sugar with super fine grains, and which dissolves so easily that you can just add it to the shaker with proportionate water directly rather than pre-mixing a bunch.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Mulled wine is generally excellent and really easy to make.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
That's the general idea. Goes well with a splash of amaretto in your cup, too.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

DontAskKant posted:

Working out some ideas for blended scotch cocktails. Stumped.
I really like a good Blood and Sand.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
2:1 hot apple cider to root beer liqueur is amazing :allears:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, are you supposed to put it in the shaker, taste it, and then put ice in? I put ice in, then the ingredients, then shake the poo poo out of it. And hope like hell it comes out decently. This one I did 4.25 scotch, 1.5 vermouth, and 5 dashes of bitters. I liked it, at least.

The cold muting the sweetness is kind of what I meant. Like how alcohol is smoother cold, and macrobrews are best cold because that way you can't taste them as much.
You're not supposed to, but you could if you wanted to see what it was like before chilling.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

MC Eating Disorder posted:

oh this was at the bottom of the last page and I forgot to mention it, I don't really truck with fancy gadgets fixing up my hot buttered rum, but I remember last time I had access to a kitchen at work the chef made a butter/spices/vanilla icecream mix for our hot buttered rums and it was frickin amazing, not sure how she did it exactly but it was not a fancy or large kitchen so I imagine it would be doable at home if your kitchen isn't just a firepit and a garden hose over a drain

this looks like what I'm talking about

I use the Zig Zag Café recipe, which is pretty similar, and is always a huge hit:

Zig Zag Café posted:

BATTER:
1 quart quality vanilla ice cream at room temp
1 lb unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. Cinnamon
3 Tbsp. Nutmeg
1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 lb. brown sugar

Mix until smooth
Keep frozen

TO SERVE:
2-3 Tbsp. batter
2oz dark rum
4oz hot water

Pre-warm glass
Add rum and batter, stir to combine
Add hot water, stir to combine
Top with whipped cream and fresh grated nutmeg

I generally melt the butter prior to mixing so you don't get lumps. It keeps much longer than a month, too, no idea why your link is so conservative.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
My own side-by-side tastings of Dolin fresh vs. a few months old in the fridge show that they taste very different, but they're both good, so :shrug:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Hot buttered rum is great (I use the Zig Zag Cafe recipe). Hot cider with Art in the Age's Root is also good, though I don't think that's available any more--maybe try other anise-y liqueurs. I've been enjoying some simple gin toddies.

Halloween Jack posted:

Anybody ever try the Benny'n'Hot? (Benedictine and hot water.)
That's a thing? Is it good?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I like doing hot buttered cider, with or without rum or booze of your choice. Plus once you make a batch of spiced butter it lasts forever in the fridge.
I must try this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

gwrtheyrn posted:

Canister + regulator + ball lock disconnect gas line. I would probably get a metal one since it's cheaper to replace the bottles than the cap. If you're not going to do a ton, there might be a way to hook up co2 cartridges which likely be cheaper in the short term
I've been doing this for years, and helped a few friends build their own. Can confirm, works great, and a CO2 tank will hold its pressure more or less indefinitely if you close the main valve when you're not using it.

I actually detailed my setup in this thread a while back:

Ralith posted:

Shaking the bottle is a necessary step--you have to literally mix the CO2 in, or else it won't dissolve in any reasonable amount of time. Why do you want to avoid that? You don't even need to shake any more than you do a good cocktail. Less, really.

Assuming you're willing to see the light and do a little light shaking, here's your shopping list. Unless otherwise noted, I strongly recommend the specific item linked over alternatives.

This should run you a bit under $200 in total. My 20lb CO2 tank has lasted me more than a year and a half on its first fill, so don't be afraid to go smaller, but it only costs $15 to fill a 20lb tank, so don't be afraid to go big either. :shrug:

Assembly:
  1. Remove the hose barb outlet fitting/cutoff/check valve assembly from the regulator
  2. Wrap a couple layers of teflon tape around the NPT threads (those are the ones that don't have a smooth tapered bit at the end) of the new JIC 37° output fitting, being careful to wind in the same direction as the threads so it doesn't bunch up when you screw it in
  3. Securely wrench the new fitting in place of the old one. You can use a fair amount of force here (NPT makes a seal by the threads squishing against eachother) but be careful that the shutoff valve ends up at a convenient angle when you're done wrenching, and don't strip anything.
  4. Screw the hose onto the output fitting on the regulator and onto the CMB gas outlet. Do not use a wrench--this only needs to be finger-tight.
  5. Screw the regulator onto the CO2 tank, using only moderate force. The seal here is made by an O-ring, so you only need to use enough force to be sure it's securely squished up against the tank opening

Use:
  1. Fill a soda bottle with something you want to be fizzy. Be sure it's very cold--CO2 dissolves much better in cold liquid. Leave 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottle empty. If you can, shove some ice cubes in there with it to cool it down even more.
  2. Squish all the remaining air out of the bottle and screw "The Carbonator" onto it. You don't need to use too much force here, again, there's an O-ring.
  3. Set the regulator to the desired pressure as per its instructoins (I use 50PSI)
  4. Open the tank valve
  5. Open the cutoff valve
  6. Pull back on the ring of the CMB gas outlet and shove it down on the peg of "The Carbonator" for a second, then remove it. The bottle should pressurize dramatically.
  7. Shake vigorously. If what you're carbonating is mostly water and/or alcohol, the pressure should disappear from the bottle as the CO2 dissolves.
  8. Repeat previous two steps until shaking no longer results in a noticable pressure drop. Do not leave the gas outlet attached while shaking, or you'll get liquid into the hose, which will have to be cleaned out if you don't want crap growing in there.
  9. Close valves
  10. Leave the bottle to sit and settle for a little while to reduce foaming
  11. Open very carefully, watching for excessive foaming. If there's milk or cream in whatever you just carbonated, god help you.

If your system is perfectly assembled, you can in theory leave all the valves open and nothing will leak.

When considering drinks for carbonation, remember that dissolved CO2 in water forms carbonic acid, which means it'll make things somewhat more tart.

In retrospect, while the flared fittings and braided hose look nice, they're probably a lot leakier than the conventional hose barbs + rubber hose approach. Still, no big deal if you shut the main valve.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 22, 2018