Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

For a gin and tonic I try to pour the tonic from high up, give it some momentum to mix things. Not sure how well that’d work in a Collins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Besides a paloma, what are you supposed to drink at the swim up bar?

The last time I was at the swim up bar I drank daiquiris until I realized nobody had left the swim up bar for any reason for way too long and then I took an hour long shower.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got a bottle a couple weeks ago and I like it. It’s in stock at my Total Wine in CA for $23.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

When I make corpse reviver #2s I just throw some absinthe in a coupe and swirl it before pouring the rest in.

Don’t fill the glass and throw absinthe away.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

I got some Cocchi Americano to make Vespers; I wanted to try something different from Lillet Blanc. What else can I do with it?

Kenning posted:

Corpse Reviver #2

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh snap I need to try this. I've been keeping Montenegro around to make Paper Planes for my wife (I can't find Nonino anywhere), and she hates mezcal but I sure don't.

Montenegro is better in a paper plane than nonino imo.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

DoctaFun posted:

Made a Saturn last night for the first time and it might be my new favorite cocktail!

I made one for the first time on Friday night after looking up the recipe and I can confirm it was good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got a bag of frozen passion fruit cubes at Whole Foods and blended them with a little water. Then I portioned and froze the purée. Worked great.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

prayer group posted:

Yeah that’s a Paper Plane. Funny to translate it into French when it’s made with cognac, I like that.

Paper plane is equal parts bourbon, aperol, amaro and lemon. This is 3 parts cognac.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a bottle of the Oregon Spirit absinthe and have no complaints. Didn’t realize St. George made one though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My atomizer is full of Laphroaig for making Penicillins.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I used passionfruit purée in a Saturn which doesn’t have simple syrup at all.

https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/saturn-cocktail/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Less air to lighten the color maybe?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It says “marasca syrup” on the jar.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you’ve never done Campari, Aperol is similar and the Paper Plane is a wonderful cocktail.

1oz. Bourbon (I use Bulleit)
1oz. Amaro Montenegro (Amaro Nonino is traditional)
1oz. Aperol
1oz. Lemon juice

Shake with ice, strain and serve up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That’s how the oxo one works too, if I understand you.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

my kinda ape posted:

Baking definitely evaporates all the alcohol content

Nah.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/packages/food-network-essentials/cooking-wine-does-alcohol-burn-off

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Seedlip and tonic with a squeeze of lime is decent.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Strange Matter posted:

I'm pretty sure my Good Liquor Store doesn't sell Nonino but it definitely has Amaro Montenegro, on account of it being in a bottle that looks like a genie should pop out of it. How interchangeable are Amaros when it comes to mixed drinks?

I prefer Amaro Montenegro to Nonino in a paper plane.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've got a Portuguese lemon here in Vegas, makes entirely too much fruit. I use soooooo much lemon juice in cocktails. Sometimes I get two crops!

I’m in zone 9, in an area traditionally used as citrus orchards, and my extremely mature lemon tree basically never stops. At all times of the year with few exceptions there’s ripe lemons, unripe little guys and new flowers with buds.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wonder about an oleo citrate instead of rose’s.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Serrano rested tequila, mezcal, lime, simple syrup, Licor 43. Blended with a sliver of avocado and shaken with cilantro.

https://imgur.com/a/xxR4F4a

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Fentiman’s is far and away better than Fever Tree or Q. You’re extremely lucky.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Paper Plane with amaro Montenegro instead of Nonnino is good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That doesn’t even seem that expensive. A 1’ long 4” wide 3/8” thick piece of lead free brass is $150 on McMaster-Carr.

Check AliExpress maybe?

edit: lol US $54.60 30% Off | Bar Ice Stamp Brass Ice Plate Honeycomb Ice Mold Branding DIY Cocktails Whiskey Ice Printing Stamping Bar Tools Carving Icecube
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNHbq8o

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can weigh out dry ice and put it in the container if you really want.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Montenegro > Nonino in a paper plane without question.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Push the cork into the bottle and then pour through a strainer into another bottle.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The JM Rhum screw tops are lovely as hell, but I go through it fast enough that I’m not worried about evaporation.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Beefeater is the king of gin and it’s like $5 a gallon at Costco.

If you don’t like juniper we can’t be friends.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like a split base Tommy’s margarita. I use whatever Blanco tequila I have on hand (currently Hornitos) and Del Maguey Vida mezcal.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Alucard posted:

Low brow cocktail question for the group - if I make negronis and boulevardiers with stuff like tanqueray and bulleit rye, is it really a huge step up shelling out for luxardo cherries instead of just the grocery store Maraschinos?

When I'm making home cocktails my main goal is simplicity so even though I have a mixing glass and a shaker I usually just pour poo poo into a glass with a big cube and stir it around then drink it...

I usually bring out the fancier stuff when hosting, which, over the course of the pandemic, happens a lot less often.

The Luxardo cherries are completely different to the lovely red grocery store cherries. They’re expensive though so “worth it” is up to you.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

if i can ask, how many drinks do you all have daily, and how frequently? i'm just curious, i don't really have much of a frame of reference

I’ve really cut down, I basically only drink on Fri/Sat now. I’ll make 2-3 cocktails Fri night and Sat I’ll have a cocktail and maybe a couple glasses of wine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I didn't top it with chartreuse whipped cream, but the recipe makes me want to buy a whipped cream canister.

A restaurant chain in Hawaii (Monkeypod) serves mai tais with a lilikoi (passionfruit) foam on top (side away from gravity). I spent a lot of time working on duplicating their foam and was mostly ok with the results.

I’m in Hawaii right now and went back for one and my foam was better than theirs.

Get a whipped cream charger they’re fun.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Polish Pirate posted:

Man I love those Monkeypod mai tais. Can I come to your house?

Sure, you in Norcal? If not I’ll share the recipe when I’m back.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

Recently I’ve found I really like cocktails that use a peaty scotch. I tried a Butter, Lemon, Smoke last night, and now it’s one of my all time favorites.

https://links.mixelcocktails.com/Zxuu

Penicillin is probably up your alley.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Booties posted:

Any good cocktail bars in Seattle? I’m visiting for a few days next month.

Really enjoyed the drinks I had at Hidden Passage, it’s a secret tiki bar in the back of another bar.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Penicillins are great, but most people use cheaper blended scotch in them and then float or atomize something fancier on top. I use Johnny black and spray Laphroiag on top.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Horn posted:

I love this idea. I don't use honey syrup regularly enough to keep it on hand and I find it annoying to make honey syrup for 1 or 2 drinks.

Liber has a “fiery ginger syrup” that works great in a penicillin, it lasts a while in the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

I still maintain that I can barely tell the difference :shrug: It's literally impossible to stock Nonino sometimes and it's about the best substitute you can get.

It’s not a big difference, and if I had to pick I’d say I prefer the Montenegro.