Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'll ask here because the infusion thread is pretty dead. Using Cinchona Bark in a bitters, any guidelines? Use a small amount? Don't powder it just break it up a little? To avoid quinine overdose. It would just be a supporting flavor unlike in something like tonic syrup.

Missed this. I wouldn't powder it just because it'll make the infusion murkier and shards will extract fine. It is less bitter than, for example, gentian, so you don't need to be toooo sparing with it, but it's definitely more bitter than anything that's not a bark/root.

If you are making enough volume for it, you could always infuse each ingredient separately and then combine them in whatever ratio you like--that makes it easy to control the balance and gives you a better starting point for future recipes (where you may be able to infuse all together in similar ratios to what you ended up combining).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Everything below 20% abv in the fridge, everything above it at cool room temp and out of direct sunlight, don’t juice your citrus beforehand unless you’re clarifying it, and change your ice frequently to avoid odors.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Wife and I dogsat for this past week and were gifted this from the dogsitee-

(tequila cream image)

What on Earth do I do with this? It looks like Bailey's but with tequila instead of whiskey.

Have you tasted it? If it doesn't taste lovely and/or super artificial on its own, and is just too sweet or something, you could just do a duo with it and actual tequila (I'd go reposado) on the rocks, stirred. Also, tequila pairs well with sherry, so you may be able to mess with something like 1:1:1 tequila:amontillado/oloroso sherry:this stuff? If it's not gross to look at (i.e. super cloudy and pale), by transposition you could maybe sub it for sweet/PX sherry in any modern cocktail calling for PX and see what that does?

Just imagining what this might taste like I'm tempted to try it with like chartreuse or something, but who knows if that would actually work.

If it totally sucks on its own, you're screwed though.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Also in amaro chat I've been messing with this negroni variation that I made one day a few weeks ago when it was hot in NYC and I wanted a negroni but didn't have the ingredients on hand, because to me a negroni is a summer drink.

2 mezcal (Vida)
1 Ramazzotti
1 sweet vermouth (Carpano)

Stir, strain, serve over a big rock in an absinthe-rinsed glass. Orange twist garnish.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Do yourself a favor and get something better than Vida, it's absolute trash. Carpano is a giant vanilla bomb - try Cocchi di Torino or Martini & Rossi Rubino

Totally agreed on Vida, I hadn't had a bottle in years and picked it up because it was cheapest at the hipster liquor store. I'm pretty much only drinking it in this, where its trashness is absorbed by the other two strong ingredients. It is not sippable straight. I had a bottle of Banhez right before this bottle and it was clearly much better.

That said, even though it is very 00s I will ride for Carpano. I agree it blasts the poo poo out of gin and therefore in the summer I'll keep something lighter on hand (Dolin usually; I've had the Cocchi but didn't find it memorable and it is the same price as Antica for me), but to me nothing makes a better manhattan/rob roy/bobby burns, and in the winter that's why I have sweet vermouth around.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Benfiddich is one of the best things I’ve ever done on any vacation. Show up at opening and sit at the bar and drink as long as you can without falling over, then go get some yakitori or tonkatsu (tonchinkan, nearby, was old school and great) or something to recharge before round 2 at a record bar.

High Five was 100% tourists and bad drinks and Tender was dead when I tried them though.

If you’re going other places in Japan, the best drinks I had on my last trip were at Rocking Chair in Kyoto and Lamp in Nara, bizarrely.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Anise would also work—maybe do like a Manhattan using blanc vermouth with an absinthe rinse?

Or do something with heering? Maybe duo style?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Buck and Breck?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Lewis bags work great, and I've found that a thick, solid rolling pin makes a great hammer for them.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
No, an Old Fashioned should be well-mixed and integrated; some people like a little sugar grit at the bottom but the vast majority of the sugar should be dissolved.

I'm not 100% on this (but I bet more knowledgeable posters will be in here to correct the record if I'm wrong), but I think the reason that lots of classic OF recipes call for you to muddle the sugar is simply because that's the old-fashioned way to do it. (Personally, I make cold process rich simple and use that.)

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
If I'm lazy, I build the drink in the serving glass, but even then I'll stir it a few times. If I'm not lazy, I stir and strain onto new ice. Generally speaking, every cocktail should be well-mixed (and the exceptions are obvious: things floated on top of drinks or explicitly layered drinks like pousse-cafés, which, I don't know if anyone really drinks those).

If you're new to cocktail making, it might be worth mentioning that tons of recipes don't bother listing "combine ingredients in mixing vessel, add ice, stir/shake (depending) until cold and well-mixed, strain (onto new ice if your drink is served with ice)" as part of the steps, because that sequence of steps is so common that it's assumed unless the recipe explicitly tells you to do something that contradicts with one of those steps. Lots of drink books just list ingredients/amounts and then say "stir" or "shake" plus the recommended serving style or glassware ("up" "rocks" "coupe" "Nick & Nora" etc), because the techniques are so consistent.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Also, as punishment for my hubris: I put Nikka From the Barrel in a sidecar last night and it was actually gross. The lemon juice highlighted an unpleasant acrid note that the Nikka has and the drink and the spirit were just worse for off for the combination.

This is making me so sad.

On another note: I just picked up a bottle of Bonal. What should I make with it?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Ango orange is a solid orange bitters. I think it’s the most neutral, middle-of-the-road one.

Fee’s is sweet and creamsicle-ish, almost not bitter really. Regan’s is the bitterest, with an intense cardamom note. Others are much harder to find.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Regarding books, I reference Petraske's "Regarding Cocktails" probably more than any other.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Depends on what you want, since there are so many amari out there. Montenegro is great, Cynar is great, I've recently been really into Braulio, I like Branca Menta a lot when it gets cold outside, Cardamaro is always a nice intro amaro...

This Reddit categorization and this BA intro article just came up when I did a search for "amaro categorization," they might be good starting points for you.

Edit: I should also say that if Fernet Branca was your first amaro pretty much all of them that you're likely to find easily will be less intense, so you really shouldn't worry much about buying something that you won't be able to drink.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Imbibe! has recipes too!

I think “Regarding Cocktails” is a great intro book. Lots of technique notes and more achievable recipes than like PDT/Death&Co/etc.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
You definitely need to stock an orange liqueur to make cocktails at home (it's got to be the most frequently called-for liqueur, no?), but yeah you can get away with just one. I keep Cointreau in the summer for margaritas and white ladies, and Grand Marnier in the winter for sidecars. They really are both the best of their categories, but Luxardo and Ferrand are both good, too.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Felt super christmasy so just made something halfway between a stinger and a Good Night, Irene because it fit what I had: 1.5 oz ea armagnac (Pellehaut) and Branca Menta, shaken, rocks. Was really nice.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Cross-posting from the whiskey thread, since I remembered this thread will probably also have good recs and I bet there's not total overlap in thread readership:

Scythe posted:

Any recommended/favorite blended scotches (at any price point, just good values)? I've been making more cocktails and drinking highballs and whiskey on the rocks more lately.

I'd list current favorites but I haven't discovered any super strong preferences (other than poo poo that's too cheap is awful, and that it seems like diminishing returns set in around the $50 mark [in NYC]) and don't want to bias the thread. I'm really just looking for an all-rounder to keep in stock and want to make sure I've explored most/all reasonable options before I settle.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Made a few of these negroni variants lately and have been really happy with them.

1.25 reposado mezcal (Ilegal)
1.25 Amaro Montenegro
1.25 sweet vermouth (Carpano)

Stirred, big rock, flamed orange peel if you feel like it.

I just finished my Antica and opened a Cocchi, and I think that would be even better in this drink, but of course I'm now all out of Montenegro. If someone tries that, let me know if the vermouth swap is better or worse.

Also, was gifted a bottle of Haus bitter clove aperitif recently and struggled to figure out what to do with it for a while, but turns out if you swap it in for the sherry in a Bamboo, the result is really good!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Carillon posted:

I just bought a manzanilla sherry for the first time in a while and find myself a bit out of fun ideas other than a bamboo or cobbler. Anyone have any fun things to their it in?

We bought a bottle of the yuzu/ginger [Haus aperitif] and really didn't like it very much. How is it straight? Your idea of subbing it in as cocktail component I definitely didn't think of.

Try a Tuxedo: a martini with fino/manzanilla replacing the dry vermouth. Or an Orchid Thief or a Trident. You can kind of replace dry vermouth with it (or split them 50/50).

Re: the Haus aperitif: straight it's OK but nothing special; definitely better in drinks with other things contributing.

Rectovagitron posted:

I appreciate that Del Maguey is much more affordable and thus easier for me to keep around for cocktails. Also, mezcal negroni's have quickly become a favorite.

Speaking of which, I've also been making a Negroni out of Forthave Spirits (a local distillery) that absolutely should not work unless you're also into stuff that is too herbal.

Everything Forthave makes is great. And, since you're in Brooklyn, you can definitely do better than Vida for a cheap mezcal--look at Banhez or Unión or Ilegal or even Madre or Sombra.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
There's a ton of good tequila in that price range and it's difficult to be more specific unless you list some flavors you want or some other tequilas you like. Look for anything that says "100% de agave" or "puro de agave" and you'll be fine.

Edit: You want a blanco for margaritas, and a good one will also be good for sipping/shots, but I like reposados too there. Don't bother with añejos unless you turn out to love tequila, they're usually overpriced.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I got the unleaded kind, on the assumption that if I want benedictine + brandy I have brandy

Is B&B good in its own right, vs the regular?

B&B just has basic brandy mixed in, if you've got brandy you like you'll make a better B&B than the bottle. I think plain Benedictine is way more flexible even though I never drink it alone.

prayer group posted:

Honestly, no. JW trades on their name alone and doesn't really make very good scotch compared to the newer brands. All their bottles are exceedingly middle-of-the-road.

Agreed except Green Label is legit good; since this is the cocktail thread I imagine it would make a fantastic Rob Roy or whatever (granted, it would be totally cost-prohibitive for a bar). Red Label's awful, but I don't think there's anything wrong with Black Label if you can get it for cheap enough (= eq to lower-middle-shelf blends), it's just overpriced. I do think it's $4 better than Monkey Shoulder (which I find has some weird off-flavor I hate), anyway, even if it's not something that has a unique personality worth highlighting.

That celery leaf cocktail sounds great also. Underused ingredient!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I’m tired of loving around with molds for my big cubes. What stuff do I need to get into hand carved ice?

I assume it’s just something to freeze a big chunk of water in (plastic half gallon tub?) and an ice pick (single prong? 3 prong?) but would appreciate recs and/or pointers if I’m missing something.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I really thought that was actually gonna be a Stinger variant (Stinger = brandy + creme de menthe, shaken). Combined with the Fernet chat, I’ve got to post about the Good Night, Irene, which I believe I’ve posted 2x before ITT, but I guess it is near 250 pages and the drink owns.

Shake 2:1 overproof wheated bourbon (Makers cask strength bangs hard in this) and Branca Menta, strain over crushed ice. This is a bit aseasonal right now as it is a holiday drink, but its so good I can’t not post it. I bought a bottle of Branca Menta early last December and I think 75% went into this drink over the winter. Gonna do that again in a few months.

Edit: also all you Fernet and whiskey fans should try Torontos and Fanciullis if you haven’t yet.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 15, 2021

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I’m 3:1 Rittenhouse to Antica, 1 dash ango per oz of whiskey, amarena cherry, personally. But also I had my last Manhattan in March or April and won’t have another until probably October. It’s a fall/winter drink.

I don’t think I’ve had a variation that can beat the standard (but I do like Red Hooks and Carroll Gardenses and Slopes, if you consider a Slope a Manhattan variant), but once or twice a year I like a gilded age style: throw a barspoon or two of maraschino in plus half as much absinthe, split your bitters between ango and orange. Maybe back off on your vermouth a tiny bit. Good when it’s cold and you’re feeling festive.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yep, that's the basic idea. Another good way to remember is: do you want the drink to feel light and bright (shaken) or viscous and strong (stirred)?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Edit: double posted. First time ever I think.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 24, 2021

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, I agree, dial down bitters. I like a bitter, large Manhattan and 3 dashes is already enough for me.

Also Dolin is a lighter vermouth and I don't get tannins off it that I can remember, but I don't prefer it in Manhattans because of its lightness and acidity. Carpano Antica is way on the other end of the spectrum, you could try that and see if you like it or if it's too sweet/syrupy for you, although it is a bit expensive. So is Cocchi vermouth di Torino, which is more middle of the road but very high quality and I feel like is the other frequent call for Manhattans in modern cocktail bars. If you don't feel like shelling out for either, a fresh bottle of Martini & Rossi isn't a bad option. Emphasis fresh.

Last, if the drink is feeling "hot" the drink isn't diluted enough, which means it's also probably not cold enough. Use more ice (at least an inch or two over top of the ingredients in the mixing glass) and stir longer.

Lunsku posted:

Speaking of vermouths, I really need some ideas on how to use. Finland alcohol monopoly is kind of dogshit and I had to actually order my Martini Rosso, and I’m seriously doubting that I’ll use my 1 l Martini Rosso before it goes bad just on negronis and manhattans.

In hindsight: next time I’ll order a smaller bottle of something like Punt e mes. We used to have Antifa Formula in smaller bottles too, but not anymore (in the alcohol monopoly catalogue at least).

lol but also I just realized no one answered you. Fastest way to use vermouth is drink it like the Spanish (and some Italians) do: on the rocks, with some citrus and/or olives as garnish. If it's too sweet for you add a little club soda. Beyond that, there are a billion negroni variants that will all work with Martini rosso even if they don't call for it (try just swapping in mezcal, for example), you can do Martinezes, Boulevardiers, Bijous...

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
First thing that comes to mind is Citadelle? It's been a few years since I had any, but I remember a mellowness and graininess to it that was definitely softer than a standard London Dry, maybe edging towards Old Tom territory. Edit: or even a jonge genever, is I think more accurate.

I also find Greenhook a particularly soft gin whenever I have a bottle, but it's definitely sharper than Citadelle, and maybe even slightly more than Plymouth, and way more herbal.

Double Edit: Koval?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you're drinking Manhattans I strongly recommend trying a Fourth Regiment:

1.5 oz Rye
1.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
1 dash orange bitters
1 dash ango
1 dash celery

It's pretty hard to go back to drinking regular manhattans once you try one. So much so that we've considered just making all our house manhattans with this recipe and not telling anyone unless they ask.

Celery sounds weird and I want to try it. Will this work with Dolin or does it want a stronger vermouth?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Celery bitters are surprisingly versatile; they go well with gin, vermouth, and sherry particularly. Lots of martini variations work. I like them in an Alaska. They’re great in a Bamboo.

I wouldn’t have thought they’d work with whiskey, but since the Fourth Regiment works I want to try them in an Up To Date.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I think Scrappy’s is considered the standard for celery. I like my bottle anyway.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Probably the most popular way to use it in the last 15 years is a Last Word: gin, green chartreuse, maraschino, and lime, shaken, served up. Traditionally equal parts but I prefer backing off on the maraschino and lime a bit.

Also good and classic is a Bijou: gin, sweet vermouth, green chartreuse, couple dashes of orange bitters, stirred, up. Some people go equal parts on this one too but more recipes do 2:1:1 and I think that's better.

My favorite less-popular green chartreuse drink is a Castaway, from Liloliho in SF: manzanilla sherry with a little salted falernum and a dash or two of green chartreuse in it.

Edit: It's also delicious in hot cocoa once that's seasonally appropriate, and don't be afraid to sip a shot straight after dinner (or throw in a little ice if it's too hot for you).

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Agree that coconut syrup and coconut cream are not the same thing, but I think in a cocktails context "coconut cream" usually refers to a sweetened product, like Coco Lopez. (In like Thai cooking though, yeah, "coconut cream" means unsweetened.)

Also op, I'm not familiar with the Liquid Alchemist coconut syrup but if it's not for a Painkiller I have no idea how you'd use it. Looks like their website even suggests using it in a Painkiller. Try it!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Missing Name posted:

Help, I bought grappa.

Does anyone have good ideas for what I do with the rest of the bottle? I have considered burning it, using it to clean glass and/or secretly pouring it into people's glasses for giggles.

Yeah, not a lot of drinks want grappa. I'd try negroni variations, or try soaking various herbs/barks/peels in it and make your own amaro.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

prayer group posted:

Gotta step up to defend yellow Chartreuse here. It's better than Strega and Galliano and whatever else you'd put in its category. My wife likes it more than the green stuff, and it's necessary to make an Alaska, one of her favorite drinks. Try one if you need to be convinced of yellow Chartreuse's merits:

Alaska
2oz London dry gin
1oz yellow Chartreuse
2 dashes orange bitters
Stir, coupe, lemon twist.

Is this a Chartreuse martini? Yes. Is it unnecessarily boozy? Yes. Does it taste like a sumptuous mouthful of delicate flower petals? Absolutely. If it's a little too intense for you, you might do like I do sometimes and split the Chartreuse with a dry sherry. Dries the drink out nicely and adds some extra complexity.

When I saw the yellow chartreuse hate I was gonna post an Alaska, because you just can't make it with green. Anyone unconvinced should try this drink, it's delightful. (And the idea to throw in some fino or whatever seems great to me!)

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yep. Make a pisco sour. Not a lot that I can think of off the top of my head calls for pisco otherwise but it’s a fun sub for rhum agricole/cachaça, tequila, or brandy.

-

Armenian brandy is fun and can be not terrible. What brand did you buy?

-

To the goon asking about celery bitters: Scrappy’s. (And yeah, unfortunately Fees are not great. Is the whiskey barrel aged Fees still considers good? I remember a hype train around them a while back and never got a bottle.)

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

I made a Bijou tonight and while it was very interesting I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't particularly like sweet vermouth. Or at least I don't particularly like the Martini & Rossi Rosso I've been using. Are red/sweet vermouths generally pretty similar or should I give a different brand a chance?

You should try a different brand (Dolin was a good rec), but also: how old is your bottle, and how are you storing it? Sweet vermouth can oxidize (cardboard flavor) pretty badly if it's open and warm or exposed to sunlight. You should be keeping unopened bottles in a cool, dark place and opened bottles in the fridge, and buying bottles small enough that you can use them up in a couple of weeks once open. I think a lot of people think they don't like vermouth and just have only had dusty old spoiled garbage.

Missing Name posted:

That being said, their Aztec chocolate bitters are fantastic and are pairing nicely with whiskey.

Maybe, but I bet Bittermens xocolatl mole are better (haven't had those Fee's, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Ah, legit, sounds like you're doing the right things (and you don't need to go nuts with a vacuum sealer as long as you're drinking it within a few weeks).

Try Dolin and see how that treats you. Also paradoxically I think another good way to get into vermouth is to just drink it (which is pretty normal to do before dinner in Spain and Italy): do a big pour over rocks, add a twist or an olive or both as a garnish.