Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I picked up some things on a whim and don't know what to use them in: plum bitters, cranberry bitters, hibiscus water, and orange blossom water.

I make different cocktails all the time and like almost everything but I just copy stuff from the internet so any ideas you guys have would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Can anybody recommend some tiki-ish or otherwise suitable for summer beer-based cocktails? Or maybe a good resource for some ideas?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Scythe posted:

Not aware of any tiki-ish ones (but now I'm wondering what the hell something like a pilsner + half lime + shot of pimento dram would be like...maybe good? Or maybe with falernum?).

I love a pilsner/kölsch/helles with a shot of Campari, I believe this thread calls it a "Camparty".

Micheladas are also a standby for me this summer, almost too refreshing and really low alcohol (I use a half lime, two dashes Worcestershire or Maggi, two to four dashes Valentina Black, four grinds black pepper, two pinches celery seed, 2 oz tomato juice, fill glass halfway with cheap beer, add ice; salt + chile powder rim is nice but optional depending on your laziness imo).

Might try the first one there, maybe with a squirt of passion fruit syrup. I love Micheladas and those were sort of the impetus for me wanting to make more beer cocktails. I make mine with Clamato.

ima let u finish in me posted:

Beachbum Berry Remixed has the Strip and Go Naked.

3/4 oz orange juice
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz gin
1 oz vodka
5 oz chilled lager beer
1/4 oz grenadine

Stir vigorously with ice cubes until well chilled, then pour unstrained into a double old-fashioned glass.

I've never tried it, so report back if you do.

Keeping it simple, just make an IPA + Campari spritzer. Very refreshing on a hot summer day. Adjust the amount of Campari to your taste.

Cool, I have this book and never noticed that one in there.

Serious Eats has a couple that look interesting, Smoky Beer Sandgrita and The Pineapple Hop.

Will also try beer with Capari, I'm assuming Aperol would work well in beer too?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

If you have any decently stocked Latin grocery stores you can get to, you might be able to find the pulp in their freezer section under the GOYA brand. It's pretty inexpensive and the only ingredient is passion fruit pulp, and they even make some that comes in individual sized portions.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah same here it's not nearly as off the wall as the name might suggest, it a pretty low risk buy.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I got a vintage all-metal ice crusher from etsy, the kind with the crank. It has a coarse and fine setting. It doesn't give you the really fine stuff that lets you pack the glass tight that the hammer gives you, but I have downstairs neighbors and it works pretty good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Aperol is a good swap for Campari in a few tiki drinks.

My version of a Jungle Bird

1 oz overproof rum (Smith & Cross)
1 oz Aperol
1 oz pineapple juice
0.5 oz lime juice
0.25 oz demerara sugar syrup
0.25 oz vanilla syrup
blackstrap rum float (optional)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I believe Black Grouse is under $30 a bottle.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah Beachbum Barry Remixed has tons of recipes and is just a lot of fun to flip through because it's filled with photos of old menus and ads and other tiki ephemera. I also love Minimalist Tiki which starts from the premise of demystifying tiki drinks and is really beautifully presented but has "only" around 130 recipes.

Bitters by Brad Thomas Parsons is also nice, it's got around 70 cocktail recipes, plus around a dozen recipes to make your own bitters and a dozen more recipes using bitters in the kitchen.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Oh yeah I've definitely made a few stinkers from that one.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I was pretty surprised to see in in the Night + Market cookbook from 2017.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

LionYeti posted:

I'm trying to add stuff to my Christmas list. I have the standard main spirits, Amaro Montenegro, Campari, and Aperol a basic boston shaker and hawthorne strainer, a decent mixing glass and measurer. What else should I add? Where is the easy upgrade

What about a couple of high-ish end liquors? Giffard Banane du Bresil tastes like actual bananas rather than yellow Laffy Taffys. I've also heard good things about their Abricot du Roussillon.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

After nibbling around the edges for years I finally took the full deep dive into tiki last summer. I held off on buying any fancy tiki mugs because I knew there's a good chance I'd get tired and move on but this one from Death & Co. was just too good to pass up and I had to splurge for it. It's only tangentially tiki themed but I guess it just spoke to me and it's my only real tiki mug for now.

Now if only I could find a way to get a couple of mai tai glasses from Pool Burger in Austin.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Comb Your Beard posted:

I really don't "get" the tiki mug craze. Some of them look cool but I just want to drink everything out of clear glass, even a tiki style drink.

There's not much to "get", it's just a fun part of the experience, like getting your pizza in a big cardboard box. They're also insulated and protected from sunlight, like Mr. Wiggles said.

Anyways I'm looking for a new bottle to shake things up in the tiki department, preferably under $50. Anybody have any suggestions? (Creme de menthe or creme de cacoa?) Aside from rums and other liquors, I currently have:

Kahlua
Giffard banana
Cheap brandy
Cheap peach brandy
Cheap creme de cassis
Pernod
Cherry heering
Campari
Aperol
Creole shrub
Falernum
Becherovka
Pimento dram

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Have you ever tried Privateer’s tiki gin?

I have not, it's not sold in my state.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

I made a Saturn last night and it was probably the best cocktail I've ever had. I made a second one after because the first was so good.

Yeah, the Saturn is insanely good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

prayer group posted:

I've made citrus stock plenty of times. Never with pressure, but I'm sure it would work fine.

I do have to ask what you plan to use it for though. I've used it as an ingredient in making triple sec, but on its own it's kind of unpleasant. I get wanting to reduce waste, I think about that sort of thing a lot and do it at my bar as much as I can, but cooked citrus is just an unpleasant flavor in drinks for the most part.

Also the Saturn is another favorite tiki cocktail of mine! I'm glad this thread has such good taste. My wife has a kegged one going on draft at her bar soon with guava syrup instead of passionfruit. Really tasty.

This sounds really good, not five minutes ago I made a big batch of guava syrup. I made a Jeep Turnover and it was a little one-note so I added quarter oz. of cinnamon syrup and it really benefits the drink.

Jeep Turnover
2 oz aged Jamaican rum
1 oz crème de banane
.75 oz lime juice
.75 oz guava syrup
.5 oz passion fruit syrup
.25 oz cinnamon syrup

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I mean it is a Tiki drink so drat, James... Anyways I made another and skipped the cinnamon but added .5 oz Amaro di Angostura and .25 oz cold brew (or .5 oz, can't remember) and the guava with the coffee is quite nice. I'll probably add the cinnamon back in there because I like it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Brennanite posted:

Gentle goons, I tried to make a pomelo mojito using the following recipe:

2 tbsp pomelo juice (fresh)
4 tbsp white rum
handful of mint (~10 leaves)
2 tsp ultra-fine sugar
club soda

It was awful. The bitterness of the pomelo overwhelmed all the other flavors. Even after I added another tsp of sugar, the bitterness still created a powerful and unpleasant aftertaste. What did I do wrong? I don't like overly sweet cocktails. (My exact order to the bartender includes the words "not too sweet," regardless of what I'm ordering just to be clear.)

Am I just not meant to make mojitos at home? They seem so easy on paper.

It might change the drink too much for you, but you could try losing the club soda, fresh juice, and sugar and use grapefruit soda instead (Squirt, Jarritos), or mixing the grapefruit and club sodas if straight soda is too sweet for you. IE a Rum paloma.

Also, every bartender has their own hang-ups and ideas about what makes the perfect customer and it's pointless trying to fit into every idea of what that might be. If you're polite, tip adequately, and aren't overly demanding, that's plenty. There's always going to be someone rolling their eyes because you're "doing it wrong" or whatever.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

How about a Punchy's First Strike

Punchy’s First Strike (Tavern Road, Boston)
.75 oz Cherry Heering
.75 oz Clement Créole Shrubb
.25 oz Allspice Dram.
.75 oz Becherovka
.75 oz lemon

Dry shake, pour over crushed ice in a double old-fashioned glass.
Garnish with 5 dashes of Peychaud’s.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Here’s one I like. Both the gin and the rum variants are excellent.

I might make this one tonight. Is that the app that's not available for android?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Also made that Humuhumunukunukuapua'a last night, pretty good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

lavaca posted:

Perhaps I trusted Martin Cate a bit too much because I bought a bottle of Rhum JM White only to realize that the Smugglers Cove book has maybe 3 drinks that use it. Aside from Ti' Punch and "use it in place of your Plantation 3 Stars and see what happens", what are some things I can do with a liter of 110-proof rhum agricole?

There's a handful more with less common ingredients, but here's a few of the simpler ones from Minimalist Tiki.

Tongan Rhum Swizzle, Marie King
3 dash angostura
.75 oz lime
1 oz white grapefruit juice
.5 oz cinnamon syrup
.25 oz pimento dram
1.5 oz unaged agricole Rhum

Stir in a tall glass with crushed ice and float more angostura.

Caribbean Goddess, Oriol Elias
2 slices fresh ginger
1 dash angostura
1 oz lime
1 oz cream of coconut
2 oz coconut water
1 tsp pimento dram
2 oz unaged agricole rhum
freshly grated nutmeg for garnish

Muddle ginger in shaker, then add the rest and shake w/ ice.

Apricot Swizzle, Matt Pietrek
.5 oz lemon
.5 oz orgeat
.5 oz apricot liqueur
2 oz unaged agricole rhum (50% abv and up)
6-10 dashes angostura, to float

Stir in tall glass with crushed ice.

Four Suns, Matt Pietrek
1 dash angostura
.75 oz lemon
1 oz white grapefruit
1 oz cinnamon (or nutmeg) syrup
1 oz unaged agricole rhum
1 oz light rum

Shake w/ ice and strain over fresh ice.

Tropic of Cancer, Chad Austin
pinch salt
.5 oz passion fruit liqueur
1 oz campari
1.5 oz unaged agricole Rhum

Build ingredients in a mixing glass, add cubed ice, stir until diluted and chilled. Strain over large block ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with a thin (dehydrated if possible) lime wheel.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

The Black Orchid tiki drink uses "black orchid spices" as an ingredient. 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1 cup water, 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses, agitate the sugar and water until dissolved, stir in molasses.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I thought Paloma mix was grapefruit soda e.g. Squirt or Jarritos?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Well smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I made Kevin Liu's Simply Awesome Orgeat from Craft Cocktails at Home and it's really good. Don't know how it stands up to the high-end brands but I like it.

184 g Almond milk, unsweetened*
88 g sugar
8 drops almond extract (1/8 tsp)
4 drops orange blossom water (1/16 tsp)

combine ingredients

*he recommends Pacific brand, I used Simply Almond. You want something with the lowest amount of sodium, sugar, and additives.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I was at a very cool cocktail bar in Lorain Ohio called Speak of the Devil last week and they made me a pretty good tiki drink with Fernet (by my request, it was tiki week) but I can't remember the name of it or if it had lime in it.

I also had a really good one called I Didn't Ask for Sunshine that had bourbon, averna, grapefruit, lime, fasssionola, and licor 43 that they were nice enough to give me the recipe for. Check it out if you're in the Cleveland area.

Edit: Pretend my finger isn't over the lens, it's a new phone.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 16, 2021

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I put a half ounce of 151 rum in all my syrups and they last for months (and counting) in the fridge.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Serious eats has a list of frozen cocktails that would probably work in a slushie machine, including a jungle bird. I've made the the peach coconut one and it's really good, almost too easy to drink.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I've never had mezcal before and would like to get a bottle to keep on hand for mixing, these are what's available in my local shop and in my price range, anybody have any thoughts?

PELOTON DE LA MUERTE
BANHEZ JOVEN ESPADIN AND BARRIL MEZCAL
EL SILENCIO MEZCAL ESPADIN
WAHAKA MEZCAL ESPADIN
DEL MAGUEY VIDA MEZCAL
MONTELOBOS JOVEN
ILEGAL MEZCAL JOVEN

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cool thanks everybody I'll probably go with the Illegal... I bought some rye today but I'm on a strict one bottle a week limit so next Friday I suppose.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Booties posted:

I’ll try this with Pernod. Been drinking lots of daiquiris. Was hoping the coconut washed Bacardi would be useful for a tiki drink.

Howsabout a Riptide (Justin Wojslaw)?

1 lime juice
.25 passion fruit syrup
.5 ginger syrup
.25 falernum
1 aged Jamaican rum (Coruba)
1 coconut rum (Koloa)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

LionYeti posted:

So I tried this Amaro at a local restaurant and absolutely loved it https://www.distilleriasibona.it/en/products/amaro-sibona/ it tastes like unsweetened fancy rootbeer in a really nice way. The problem is I cannot find it locally at all. I live in Colorado where you can't mail order liquor legally. Any ideas on how to get my mitts on this stuff?

You could ask the restaurant where they get it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Another vote for combining an equal amount of puree and 1:1 simple and adding an oz or so of high proof liquor as a preservative. I like it in a Mr. Black & Gold, a sort of a remix of a Mr. Bali Hai.

https://links.mixelcocktails.com/nChy

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Tamarind michelada with a chili powder salt rim.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

I made Kevin Liu's Simply Awesome Orgeat from Craft Cocktails at Home and it's really good. Don't know how it stands up to the high-end brands but I like it.

184 g Almond milk, unsweetened*
88 g sugar
8 drops almond extract (1/8 tsp)
4 drops orange blossom water (1/16 tsp)

combine ingredients

*he recommends Pacific brand, I used Simply Almond. You want something with the lowest amount of sodium, sugar, and additives.

This might get you close enough without the 8 drops of almond extract. Might be worth buying a bottle online that will last forever.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

How about a Basic Beach

.75 lime juice
1.75 pineapple juice
.75 Midori
.75 Banana liqueur (Giffard)
.75 silver rum (Don Q cristal)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well SOMETHING just hit my summer tiki menu.

In that case I'll mention that the recipe calls for serving in a hurricane glass and garnish with banana chips and pineapple fronds.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I've always described it as "your brain tries to instantly set off 'don't drink this or you'll die!' alarms"

Oh you mean like Jose Cuervo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

So every liquor store within an hour drive of me has been out of Giffard banana for the past six weeks, does anybody have a tried and true shelf stable recipe for this stuff in case it never comes back? Tempest Fugit isn't available in my state.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Good lord, homemade falernum is worlds better than John D Taylor. Here’s the recipe I used, which has the added benefit of being shelf stable indefinitely:

https://www.proofcocktails.nl/2017/03/09/falernum/

My JDT is almost empty so gonna try this.