Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm trying to get a bit more into making mixed drinks. I typically only make a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned. Recently I've made myself a Negroni and I really enjoyed it. Does anyone have suggestions on a app that I can list the spirits and cordials that I have, and what I can make? It would be cool to have a feature that says you need one more ingredient to make this drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I downloaded everything that was suggested, will take a in-depth look into them in a few days.

Qylvaran posted:

Are you me? Be honest.

Only one way to find out, what drink are you making next?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Qylvaran posted:

Hmm...probably either a Sazerac or a Boulevardier (Why yes. My liquor cabinet IS about half whiskey. Why do you ask?).

Hella yeah. I just made myself a double Boulevardier.

3oz Elijah Craig
1.5oz Cocchi
1.5oz Campari

Not as heavy as these Manhattans that I've been making, but still scratches that itch from all the bourbon.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Comb Your Beard posted:

For some reason Manhattans never work with me. The chilled tannin in the red vermouth and the alcoholic heat from the whiskey they boost each other in a harsh way. I guess I'm weird like that. I'll drink plenty of red wine with some tannins on it's own though. Not chilled.

What vermouth are you using?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

So the big winner in the Manhattan space for this weekend was Cocchi Torino and Luxardo cherries.

The whiskey (WT 101 Rye) and bitters (Bittercube Trinity) were the controls. With Punt e Mes, cocchi Torino, and Carpano Antica as the vermouths, and Luxardo vs Traverse City cocktail cherries.

One brother preferred the extra sweetness of the Carpano, but otherwise was in line with everyone else.

This is how I typically make my Manhattans. I sometimes use a "better" rye or bourbon and it's very good.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

hotsoupdinner posted:

Just tried this with Sazerac Rye and Dolin Sweet Vermouth and I think I'm a convert!

Just did this with Knob Creek and Cocci. Doubled the recipe and it’s very good. Don’t know what else I’m going to do with a celery bitter though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

A God drat Ghost posted:

Can anyone recommend cool things to make with coconut cream? I need to use the rest of mine up. I've been making Painkillers and variations on piña coladas, I want more options.

Speaking of Painkillers, can I use Liquid Alchemist Coconut Syrup to replace the Cream of coconut or is that not the same thing?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does glassware play a large role in a cocktail like wine “does”? Since I’ve been trying to make different cocktails I figured some coupe glasses would be nice, but don’t want to dive too deep. I’m assuming it’s more about presentation than actual function? But there are specific drinks for specific glasses, like I’m not drinking a martini out of a Collins glass?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Suggestions on some of the more popular cocktail books? There are a few books that people always suggest for wine, looking for something the same for cocktail books.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Guys. I just made a double Painkiller and I am in heaven. Tastes just like the one I had at this nice Tiki Bar a while back.

4oz Overproof Rum
3oz Pineapple Juice
1oz Orange Juice
1 1/2 Cream of Coconut
Healthy pinch of Nutmeg

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Carillon posted:

That sounds very nice! I just made one yesterday, there must be something in the air. I tend to like my orange juice in cocktails with a bit more backbone, so I acidulated mine, but it's a great tasting cocktail all around.

I've only been using bottled orange juice, when I get to a grocery store I'm going to pick up some real oranges. I made another Painkiller again, switched up the rum though. Plantation "O.F.T.D." Overproof tastes like the Painkiller that I've had in many bars, Smith & Cross that I used today gives it a nice funky, rotten, topical rubbery taste that I really liked. Might make another one tomorrow with 1.5oz of each.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Going to make a French 75 today, might replace the simple syrup with some elderflower liquor for some "depth".

1.5oz gin
.5oz lemon juice freshly squeezed
.5oz St. Germain
3oz champagne

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any good variations on a Negroni you guys would recommend? I've been using a variation of the following,

Bitter - Campari or St. Agrestis Inferno Bitter
Vermouth - Carpano Antica or Cocchi
Gin - Four Pillars "Faultline" or Isle of Harris

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Carillon posted:

If you like old fashioneds you might like Mr. Black with bourbon and some chocolate and orange bitters. I know I do. Also check out a Mr. Bali Hai, with coffee, pineapple and lemon.

Sugar
Orange Angostura
2 ounces bourbon
1 oz Mr. Black?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Death & Co. canned cocktails are *pretty* good.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Maestro posted:

The Last Word is such a different cocktail, I find it odd that he would recommend it in the same breath.

Just made one with a cherry in the middle. Very good. I might up the gin to 1.5oz.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I replaced the lime juice with lemon juice in The Last Word, and it's pretty good! It's a bit more mellow and sweeter than before. Reminiscent of a lemon head after you've finished the outer shell.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm tired of squeezing my lemons into a jigger like a moron. Any suggestions for a squeezer? I like the flat bottom of this Kitchen Aid, but I like the stainless steel of this bad boy here.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Pander posted:

It's not a drink that rewards you based on how much you like the spirit, it's a drink that rewards how much you like the interplay of various bitter flavors with that spirit.

So bitter. So good. More bitter.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a dark rum and a white rum? I'm trying to make a Mai Tai and I only have Plantation "O.F.T.D." Overproof Dark Rum. I also have some Smith & Cross.

White rum, I'm going with Real McCoy 3 Year Old Single Blended Barbados Rum or Foursquare/Hampden "Probitas" White Blended Rum

Orange curacao I'm going for the Giffard Triple Sec Liqueur or Combier Liqueur D'Orange Triple Sec

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Why are Boston shakers preferred over a 3-piece shaker? It seems like with the 3 piece I wouldn’t need to use a Hawthorne strainer.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

LionYeti posted:

For two reasons 1. The strainer in that three piece is not going to strain as well as a Hawthorne will. 2. 3 Piece shakers either don't seal too well and leak or seal way too well and can't fuckin open.

I see. I guess the drinks i make never really required any straining, so I never noticed. it does a good job of ice since none of it is crushed before going into the glass. No muddling of fruits and all that jazz either.

The shaker does get a bit hard to open, might have to look into the Boston shaker.

A mixing glass might be nice too, but I usually just mix it into the glass I’m drinking out of. Is having another glass to stop dilution?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hipsters bars investing in lasers and charging $59.95 for a glass of ice water.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’m eating 3 large spam musubis, two fried eggs and drinking a light and fruity Mai Tai. This is heaven.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Have any of you guys made 'super juice'? I'm tired of buying lemons and poo poo and would love to have something shelf stable.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I upgraded from a mason jar as my mixing glass, to a larger Madafo 24oz mixing glass . I really like the weight and heftiness of it seems like a quality product.

I think I'm going to upgrade into a Boston shakers next. Is there a reason why some are weighted vs non-weighted? I'm assuming it's only for the shaker being more sturdy on the table?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Suggestions for jiggers with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etched on the inside, either a Japanese style one or a bell style? Lots of my drinks call for a 1/4 ingredient, but my stupid jigger only has 1/2 and 3/4 so I'm just doing half way to 1/2...

Edit: I think I found one! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN729TD/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A5HWA6F90HLJ9&th=1

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 20, 2022

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’ve also used Inferno Bitters by St. Agrestis and it makes a mean Negroni as well.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Use the amaro to make a Fallback!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I was curious about the Aviation but didn't really want to buy the Creme de Violette for a single drink. So I looked to see if I could find a tiki drink that uses it and found this:

https://ohsobeautifulpaper.com/2015/07/friday-happy-hour-the-ghost-flower-tiki-cocktail-recipe/

Wow! This drink was amazing. Everyone who tasted it thought it was great. I did not expect it to be this good. But this is among my favorite drinks now.

The Ghost Flower
2 oz Silver Rum

1 oz Lime Juice

3/4 oz Pineapple Juice

1/2 oz St-Germain

1/2 oz Creme de Violette

1/2 oz Orgeat

Shake w/ ice. I open poured but the recipe says to strain in one place and strain over ice in another. I just put it in a mai tai glass and didn't use the garnish.

I want to try this. What bottle of Crème de Violette should I pick up?

Giffard, Tempus Fugit or Rothmam & Winter?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I made a few Ghost Flowers that was posted back a few pages ago and I settled on a different ratio.

1/2oz Lime Juice
3/4 Creme de Violette

I used Probitas, Dr. Bird, Smith & Cross and Appleton 12. I think Dr. Bird has the best balance of funk, while nothing being overly light.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The GE Opal is only 1.0, the 2.0 has a few upgrades that might be worth the extra money.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Polish Pirate posted:

I have the opal and I loving love it. Obviously it's great for stuff like a mint julep and Moscow mule, but I use it for sodas and my kids always want it in their drinks too

It also makes the ice really quickly. In other words: dooo it

How is the maintenance like? Do I really need to change my filter every 3 months?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Very recently I have decided to dive into the deep in with rum. I purchased Appleton 12, 15 and 21. All of which were good, but did not scratch that funk that I'm looking for. I have bottles of Probitas for making Daiquiris, Smith & Cross, Clement VSOP, Plantation Pineapple & OFTD for Mai Tais (I was experimenting with the ratios). The Probitas alone is very good and does has enough funk for me. I also have a Dr. Bird which is probably my favorite out of all of these. Where do I go from here as far as sipping rums are concerned?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Get into the wide world of small production ultra funky Haitian rhum. The weirder or more esoteric the bottle, the better you're going to like it. I got a bottle of Boukman recently, which is a botanical rhum (like, made with gin stuff) and it's wiiiiiild. If you want to stay with Jamaica though, I've been having a good time with Hampden Estate. Finishing up The Younger right now, and even at 5 years that is a crazy complex rum.

Waltzing Along posted:

Get some Hamiltons? Those are more geared towards mixing, though.
For haitian try https://rumratings.com/rum/7141-clairin-le-rocher It's pretty intense.
You might also want to get an El Dorado.

No Boukman at my local shop. I was able to pick up a Hamilton 8 and Hamilton LROK The Younger. The Clairin Le Rocher is interesting, will have to hunt this down another day though.

What is up with the Hamilton stuff? Just some dude who's a purveyor of single casks like Foursquare?

Was able to take a pour of the El Dorado 12. It's sweet, round and dangerously easy drinking. No funk in this thing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it reminds me of bourbon.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hampden LROK - Funky, strawberries, rubber cement, new Payless shoes.
Hampden 8 - Vanilla, fruit punch, canned cocktail, hot tarmac. The finish reminds me of a lot of bourbons I've had.

These were great! I'm leaning more towards the LROK, although the 8 is pretty close to it.

Just watched the video of and I like the guy, might buy some of his stuff a little later on as my wife was giving me the side eye...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Polish Pirate posted:

Have you tried Paranubes? It's a Oaxacan rum that is pretty drat funky. I personally think it's quite delicious too.

I'll put that on my running hit list. Would you suggest the anejo or regular stuff?

Kenning posted:

Definitely +1 to weird clairin, but also consider some good old-fashioned Rhum Barbacourt. The 8 year is a great all-rounder with just a touch of funk, while the 15 year is a beautiful sipping rum that I gaze longingly at every time I'm in Total Wine.

Clairin Le Rocher is on my short list.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Are you in a place you can order stuff online?

chips liquor and mission liquor in Southern California delivery to a lot of states.

Oh yeah. My shop is pretty good in terms of inventory and variety. Anything that I’ve wanted spirits wise they’ve had and I’ve been able to acquire easily. Aside from the heavily allocated bourbon, cause that’s a joke at this point.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hamilton 86 - Burnt brown sugar like the top of a creme brulee, chocolate cake, smoke and dried Coca Cola that spilled on the movie theater floor. This was amazing, it was cheap enough to pick up even after the other purchases. I wonder would this be good in a Jungle Bird.

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish I had something like that. I have total wine, which is pretty good but roughly 1/2 (or more) of things I am looking for are not available. So I've ordered a couple times from chips liquor. My justification for the $15 or so in shipping is if I get 3 bottles then they cost slightly more than they would be retail, but at least I get them.

I miss living in a biggish city.

Not too sure if you're in area, but I know https://www.klwines.com/ ships around LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black - super funky nose, lots of hogo, braised pork, dried scallops, smells like I'm walking down a small old school Asian supermarket. I think the nose outshines the taste. Easy drinking, caramel, oak, green shrubbery, burnt spices.

This is very good, probably a good introduction to funky-er rums for my friends. I like the price and the hogo.