Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I wish they'd filmed more episodes. I really enjoy watching the two of them interact, it definitely adds to the show.

Also, the look on Seth's face when Jah is describing a vegan load is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

UYD: Whitest Diapers in the Neighbourhood

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I like how Jonathan seems to get really giddy in front of a live audience. It's endearing.

I also love to hear an audience react to poo poo the way I do. Seattle brew/marijuana/mind's eye was great and dipping back into Craig's House was a nice surprise.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, it's like 'wink, wink' and it's hilarious.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Semper fi. Please buy this stolen car.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

AltronHGX posted:

Another weird thing I'll add is after listening to 10 or so episodes I was imagining Seth to look like a weird bizzaro Steven Buscemi :shobon:

Right?! He's a pretty chill-looking dude, compared to his neurotic voice. I love it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Man, people take the internet really seriously. Like, a lot of that seems like it could've been avoided. I get why she's turned off listening to the podcast, and why she's turned off being involved with any Tumblr/UYD forum, but it seems like the poo poo she actually went through is a product of her own making. Like, it's a shame that fans are bullshitty and annoying, but fans of anything are on the whole pretty bullshitty and annoying and should be avoided at all costs. This is a fact of life that more people need to realize.

I do agree with her point about Jonathon's use of the word "human being" and his thoughts on women, but then the paragraph immediately after she goes into some "This podcast is negative, who do these failures think they are criticizing people!" bullshit that shouts down any of her legitimate complaints.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

As an alternative viewpoint, you can jump in at any point you feel comfortable really. Lot of people will say you miss out on injokes but they don't come up too much and you can watch basically all the 'important' stuff on youtube or the wiki can point you to the right episode. Its not really much of a narrative.

This is true, but regardless of where you start you're gonna end up going deeper into the back catalogue. So starting on the earlier episodes can't hurt.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

This was probably the nicest discussion of "these people I like say some things sometimes that I don't" that I've ever read. In no way was the conversation off-topic or out of hand. Why the hell are people freaking out about it? Let people loving talk, especially when it's as civil as it's been. I don't think anyone in the thread said "I hate this loving show! Worst show ever!" and there's absolutely nothing wrong with talking about things in the podcast you wish improved. Jeez.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CortezFantastic posted:

Because that's what I'm saying. Instead, I'll thank you for your continued efforts in this thread to somehow not understand that they don't actually hate gays, and that sometimes words lose their original meaning. Let's get another page about how a guy who thought he was hand picked by Jah to be the white prophet for Rastafarianism might be wrong saying a hurtful word on a comedy podcast. hint: he might be a shithead

No one's saying they actually hate gays, they're saying that maybe words he's used haven't lost their meaning.

EDIT:

The point is it was a perfectly fine, reasonable discussion--which doesn't happen a lot--that would have run its course without people going "Chill out, it's just a podcast, don't take anything seriously". Hint: no one's taking it too seriously, it's just a discussion.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 3, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

bango skank posted:

Says who? Who decides when a word's meaning has officially changed? I know for myself at least that when I head the word "human being" I don't think of gay people, I think of someone being annoying or stupid.

I don't care who decides what, but being mad at people for being offended--and in this particular case, very politely offended--at the use of words like "human being" or "friend of the family" or "retarded" is completely missing the point.

They're easily avoidable words that some people find offensive and they have the right to point out that fact. Jah can use "human being" as much as he wants and people can not like it, can believe it still has meaning and can think that he shouldn't be using it. If someone uses that term they must know that others don't like it and it invites a conversation on the matter, regardless of whether they think it's "lost its meaning" or whatever.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I just listened to episode 328 this morning and I was anticipating Seth's reaction to Nik Wallenda's walk across the fall and it didn't disappoint at all. His rants are the best and the multi-episode build-up to this one was as close to perfect as they come.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Why do you guys listen to a podcast you hate so much

Why is people having opinions a foreign concept to you?

There are 328 episodes and sometimes people may have comments you disagree with. You can relax about it.

hrpff posted:

I thought the doritos episode was pretty funny.

That was funny. They were talking about taking the Pepsi challenge recently(I think) and I want them to do that. Jah trying hard to win the dumb games they play is always great.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It was a really good episode. I love in the live episodes how the vibe's so different but it's still the same show. Like, Jah's a little giddier, Seth's a little more nervous. And they know what the fans want, that's for loving sure. I like that we even got a couple of short Seth rants.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It's the Larry David Phenomenon. You completely relate to and agree with someone and then they say/believe something so alien and wrong it's hilarious.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Red_Museum posted:

Did Seth predict Mickey Rooney's death?

Yeah, Seth killed mickey Rooney.

I hope Kanye doesn't get kidnapped.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

a starwar betamax posted:

This will be even funnier if they ever change to voicemail number for some reason

Yeah, I wonder if there'd be a good reason to.

Oh-

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

psychicsecession posted:

jesus loving christ I love UYD as much as the next guy but how are like 10% of their listeners loving psychotic

"1 in 10 UYD listeners are psychotic."

"I know. It's sad."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

floor is lava posted:

They keep talking poo poo about the contestants on that "guess the celeb" gameshow. I'm terrible at remembering actor's names so I would be terrible at it. That and movies and tv are poo poo these days that's why everyone is cutting the cord. They vastly overestimate how much poo poo people give about actors being Cali natives. I usually just tune them out with all the actor talk.

"He played Batman."

"Pft...which one."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Brock Samson posted:

And the proportion of blacks with down syndrome.

"I know, it's sad."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The best Ask Amy is the lady who forgot her son's birthday 3 times and turned him gay.

Or the ugly dude with the great personality.

Or the lady whose kids laughed at her homemade film.

All of Ask Amy's are great.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I go through spurts of either listening weekly, binging as many back-episodes as I can or taking a break from the show for a month or so at a time. It really has more to do with where I'm at than any quality shifts on the show's part. The energy and personalities have fluctuated over time but UYD has some of the most consistent quality of any media.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Faygo Island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

mweber posted: