Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I thought I was going to be over this year's Monster gently caress when it came out, but ultimately I ended up pulling my car over in a shipping yard near work and laughing my loving rear end off during that bit. Fun to have a military policeman roll up on your car while you're blasting the Monster gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That would've been fitting, but at least having an MP salute you and say "have a good day, sir" while you're giggling like a moron to Monster gently caress Part 7 Hauntedkah is a hell of a start to a morning.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The big news from the countdown so far is that Scott sounded hopeful that he might have good news about Bajillion Dollar Properties actually getting distribution.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's changing sometime soon apparently.

Good. I realize that getting publicity is valuable in and of itself in show-biz, but even enough money to basically cover in-city transport and a damned working wage for a couple hours' work is well-warranted, and I can't imagine at this point that it's going to break Scott's bank or Earwolf as a company.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mr. Squishy posted:

While he's the face of Earwolf, I don't think Scott's been making any of these decisions for quite a while.

Yeah. He has even made a point of saying that when loving around and joking about the engineers, he has absolutely no hiring/firing capability. Probably good, as having someone jokingly abusive at times on mic who is also the head of HR is not a good idea!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
For those who don't listen to the whole episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52E9bGQFeGg

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think it was one of the year-end best of roundups where Scott said he started the radio show/podcast on nothing more than a hope and a dream.... and about $300,000 he'd saved up doing writing work.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

JethroMcB posted:

Hearing Scott turn on his own audience... That's quality content

I very much enjoyed listening to Scott lose it a bit when Lapkus and PFT kept interrupting him on Threedom a couple weeks ago.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This costume is rather good.

https://twitter.com/jomarra1/status/1165092727501053952?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed it. Not amazing, but who cares about the plot in about 3/4 of these kinds of comedies anyway, and it was only ~80 minutes including outtakes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like Ego; she’s funny and has the skill of ensuring even when she is off track, it is funny off-track and not boring or rambling off-track.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Off Book is excellent this week.

Full disclosure: I’m maybe 12 minutes in but laughing like a dumbass while doing dishes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also the movie script is super lazy but Lapkus is still hilarious in the movie. The movie suffers when they inevitably have a period where she’s absent.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The majority of the negative review of The Wrong Missy are essentially “this would be great if everyone was up to Lapkus’ level.” Though I thought Swardson’s character conceit was also funny (HR guy who spies on everyone’s private data because of course he does).

Then there’s Schneider just kind of existing to go on vacation.

It has some draggy stuff on the back end of the movie, but if nothing else just watch the cold open style intro scene to see how unhinged Lauren is rather than the party girl aesthetic the trailer highlights.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Maria Bamford's audio was rough in early COVID times, but someone (I assume Gourley) fixed it and it's like she has been saving all of her comedy for an overdose injection and on the most recent Bonanas for Bonanza, she is just shattering me with high energy callouts.

Also goddamn, Hodgman and Reese are the best kind of mediocre CBB guests in that they just let PFT troll Scott and then open up the Gourley floodgates.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Human Cow posted:

I think it was an ad read for some kind of Microsoft AI. I can't remember the name, but I remember it giving Scott a "yaaaas queen" to some question he asked it.

Yeah it was a promotional spot and sucked and made it seem worse for hearing it.

Kind of like the CAH reads Paul F used to do on Spontaneanation where he very clearly hated the ad copy and conceit of the “wacky cards to make you funny/bad!”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Late podcasts are extremely first world problems, but also means pods don’t load on home wifi before I leave for the day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ego's good.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Skyarb posted:

She is a bad improvisor. She always has an idea where she wants to go and won't let them redirect and absolutely never yes ands, especially when that would have been more engaging and funny than what she wants to discuss. She has the characters that are mostly the same and when other people talk to her there are such huge pauses and gaps as she says "ok umm"

There is an irony in saying your problem with Ego is you think she only wants to push a conversation one way while also asking for other people’s opinions only to respond with “No, wrong.”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I also don’t begrudge anyone who just “nopes” at Scott, because he does often recommend things about their character or push their narratives hard in one particular direction. So sometimes the meta creeps in where they are actively pushing back on Scott more than they are on the other improvisers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is among the least surprising reveals ever. Dude always seemed creepy when talking about relationships and took a bit too much pleasure in improving people i to areas they were out of character not cool with (like racist stuff).

Still does not change that he is very funny and his shows with Schwartz so good, but there are a lot of comedic fish in the sea.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Really fun episode, and I lost it at the remix.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

middleditch had a character called "chinese guy" who now that i think about it was never ok

At the time the joke was more “we all know I should not do this, it clearly makes everyone uncomfortable, but since we all know it’s hosed, it’s ok to laugh at the other comedians’ obvious distaste and Scott’s repeated attempts to end the bit!”

But
1: Well, that’s still being done on the back of a nationality that no one in the room belonged to
2: Oh, maybe inappropriately bullying people beyond their comfort zone is just Middleditch’s method all the time, and that’s messed up!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ArtVandelay posted:

I'll admit I was close to giving up on this one before my boy Thurl showed up.

Yeah, finished strong. And the closing up theme was very funny to me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I ran into Fallon when I was in college at the on-campus hotel after he had done done some show. He just had a horrible case of the giggles and was wobbling around and had a towel or hoodie over his head. Some college girls were trying to get him to come to a party and his very sober bodyguard/talent manager or whoever was basically lecturing “No, gently caress all this, Jimmy, drink water and go to your room, and go to sleep, I’m so sick of your poo poo,” while telling the women to go away.

I don’t really know what that says about him other than he was a mess and could not stop giggling.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I fuckin' love Randy Snutz

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Finally listened to Rudy North’s thanksgiving / skanksgiving whatever they called it, and it was great. By chance listened to it right after the Ron Snapper CBB, where I was kind of confused about his entrance, which made it even better.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm early in the latest CBB, and Ego's energy from the jump is amazing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Superego is absolutely essential listening. All their spinoffs are fun, too, like Forgotten Classics and their commentaries. But that stuff is best left untouched until you get a feel for their standard stuff.

Red Badge of Courage is so loving good.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Most recent closing up the plug bags theme is really good.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

JethroMcB posted:

The first Batmin is so-so but the second is an absolute home run with an audio drop gag that's so good, they should have ended the episode early (Referencing the Richard Gere urban legend and IMMEDIATELY hitting a cut-off version of the Batman '66 scene transition sting.)

Alfred is just crushing it on Batmin.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I kind of like how it sounds a bit like a jam sesh or house band. That sounds insulting, but I don’t mean it that way.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's one of those shows where my favorite character is whichever one is currently talking, but if I had to pick one, it'd be Edi Paterson's (nsfw for language). There's some bean dip DNA in there

I enjoyed Season 1 and am working through Season 2, and Edi is really what makes each episode pop. It's almost jarring when they do need her to act normal for a few lines just to get some exposition across.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The plugs theme at the end of Grumpy Scott really got me in a way that it wouldn't have on a more normal episode

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ve really been enjoying Mark Rennie’s enduring run on Eat Pray Dunk.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

I enjoy Lily Sullivan being ruthless to Scott

Francesca really took a turn on Scott when he made her a foot tall in the special. Broke her character to ask why he always makes her tiny, then went with it, but Francesca has been much more aggro on Scott ever since. Which owns.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tart rules even when just being himself and chatting.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lilyyily makes perfect sense, don’t question it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

root beer posted:

Man, Thomas Lennon hasn’t been on CBB in a long time, and I think the gap before the last time he was on was even longer than that

Guess that means he’s gotten more successful (and PFT is a total washup)

They’ve fallen out of my brain, but I recall Tom Lennon having some funny industry stories when he guested on the George Lucas Talkshow.

Though writing Night at the Museum had to be some level of decent payday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
An absurd amount of small/medium credits, very much a constantly working writer.