Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

I wonder if most goons are too young to appreciate a Garry Marshall impression.

I dunno -- I'm young enough to have never watched his shows (and, critically, didn't have nick at nite as a kid), but he's still my favorite of pft's characters. I don't think his real-life credits are necessary at all; it's just his low-grade hostility that works so well for me. (At the risk of page-jumping, it's probably the same sensibility that puts me firmly in the pro-tig camp.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

I really really enjoy "Would You Rather?" but I wish they would do more where it starts with a relatively mundane question. It's a lot more fun to evolve a concept into something insane rather than already beginning with something "zany" (e.g., shot-for-shot remake of E.T. with only kangaroos).

I completely agree, but I thought David Wain's angle on the 'zany' situation -- only asking pragmatic contractual-detail questions -- saved it nicely.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

GraPar posted:

Pretty sure I'm now looking forward to Analyze Phish Episode 4 with Harris and Scott high at a Phish show more than I'm looking forward to Christmas.

Ep 3 was amazing. I made the mistake of trying to listen while in public; I had to stop it until I was back in my car.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
...you mean...do I ever find myself...say...bakin' a plain cake?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Hsien-Ko posted:

...with Paul F Tompkins
God drat it, I actually have to download this crap now.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Just listened to it, and boy, I do not get the love in here for Paul. I like his stand-up alright, but take his written material away and he's got nothing. I think he chimed in all of twice in that whole hour, and then only to clarify some point of order for the old guys.

Doug's got a fun format for a game here, but he needs to get some comedians who are quick on their feet, maybe Joe Rogan or Carolla.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The pHo posted:

Just a heads up that there's a bit of a push to save Best Friends Forever, which airs it's last 2 episodes tomorrow night on NBC.
Friday, isn't it?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

Only listened to the latest Phish, was amazing though.
"I've taken a bunch of drugs now but I don't feel anything at all! Oh well..

...THIS. IS. FUN!!"

Aw, you really should have listened to this one in order. The phish show was sort of the culmination the first few eps build toward.

I should give professor blastoff another shot. I love tig, I just didn't love the first few eps enough to add the extra hour a week.

(I can't be the only one who's not psyched at the rollout of extra shows like Two Charted and Sklarbro County. I have too drat many podcasts already.)

CaptBushido posted:

Outside of Earwolf, though, people should listen to Mike and Tom Eat Snacks and, non-comedy option: This American Life
(We're definitely veering off-topic for this thread now, but...) MATES, UYD, The Bugle, You Look Nice Today, Roderick on the Line, Superego, and The Pod F Tompkast all take priority above any of the earwolf shows, imho, as far as comedy is concerned.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

indigi posted:

Had to waste Ben Schwarz on an episode I wouldn't listen to if you paid me. Tony Clifton? Really? What am I, 50 years old? That character sucked back when it was still relevant. No thanks.
Psst... the first ~20 mins are just Scott and Ben.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Scoobi posted:

Edit2: Also totally bragging but like ~5-6 years ago when I was in NYC my friends and I went to asscat and the monologists were Tom Lennon & Aziz Ansari, with Rob Hueble & Paul Scheer in the performers, and then the next year we went we got Andy Daly, Horatio Sanz, and Jack McBrayer, and yes it was loving amazing. Ended up donating 20 bux both times because the shows were so good.
Last time I was in NYC (~3 yrs ago) I made it a point of going, and it was indeed amazing. Wyatt Cenac did the monologue, with Rob Riggle, Jack McBrayer, John Lutz, and Zach Woods (this was well before he became Gabe on The Office, but he stood out enough to remember him as soon as he appeared).

I suppose it's almost a good thing I don't live in NY or LA, because there'd probably be an unmissable UCB show seven days a week.

Politicalrancor posted:

Mantzoukas might be my very favorite guest on the show, because the way he and Scott riff off each other is so loving perfect and funny.
Ben Schwartz goes in this category, too.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Politicalrancor posted:

one of my favorite one off characters was Pastor Rhe Holner, played by Jon Gemberling. I said "Pumpin Puss" to a bunch of people who looked at me like a psychopath.

What was that street address, again?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

burmart posted:

Does it take them a while to send the e-mail? I ordered this morning, got my confirmation e-mail, but no link to download.

This seems like a stupid way to do it.

I haven't ordered these, but have ordered other pay earwolf downloads, and received paypal receipt + earwolf confirmation + earwolf dl links all simultaneously.

e: If the process is still the same (did your order conf come from 'happiness @ earwolf'?), the link email mentioned to email them there (happiness), mentioning the order #, for support.

WoG fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 10, 2012

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
rejecting his own butt meat :smith:

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I think I've said this before, but I really want Paget Brewster on the show. Preferably with PFT. I can't believe she hasn't already been on. It's kind of a shame she's doing all that Criminal Minds poo poo (yea I know she likes doing them, whatever)

No, she's off that show (and didn't necessarily love it so much). Check out her episode of Making It with Riki Lindhome, it was a great interview.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Hsien-Ko posted:

Stupid CBB, now I kinda want to go see Premium Rush for real now
Ride like hell!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Deadpool posted:

In other news, I was reading the Earwolf forums yesterday and found the engineer on Gelmania has said the show is going weekly now. I can't properly express the combination of happiness and fear I have over that. Gonna be some good poo poo coming.

That's odd -- I heard Gelman on some other show a month or so ago saying that doing the first few weekly was eating up basically all his time, thus the drop to ~monthly.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Apex Rogers posted:

I know, I can't believe all these people saying it was scripted.
They just can't get their heads around improv, I guess. I'd like to see them grilling all the performers after an asssscat, "come on, that was all pre-written, right?!"

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Thanks. this one seems to be working pretty well for me. Gonna try Doggcatcher once this free trial runs out.

Podkicker's pretty solid for a free one. I use an ipod for 95% of my listening, so admittedly the android client is just a backup for occasional streaming (and I've never tried the for-pay apps), but podkicker's by far the best of the handful of free ones I've gone through.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Well, tickets are on sale today for the last ever show, which is next month.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Yeah I was confused as to whether he meant tonight or the benefit was the last ever CBB show. But I'm pretty sure he means tonight. If there are still tickets on sale for following weeks, it's probably just because the UCB website autofills in the schedule for CBB and DLM on Tuesdays.

I'm pretty sure he means the benefit is the last show.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I saw this -- does it refer to some event in Marina Del Rey I'm supposed to know about?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

piratepilates posted:

The thing that weirds me out about his John C Reilly is that John C Reilly is the kind of person who would just be on CBB anyway, when I first heard a clip of him with Jon Hamm I thought it really was Reilly.
Yeah, but the kind of person who'd do CBB is the kind of person who'd enjoy a good-spirited impression of them. Adomian does Tompkins and Todd Glass and whatnot.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm really loving having the video feed too; I've always wondered what the vibe of the room was like, especially with all of the characters involved in CBB, and now I get to find out!
It is nice, but I dunno if it will outweigh the inconvenience of watching at home instead of listening on my commute. Cosby-Bukowski mugging nonstop and futzing with his headphones was gold, though.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHEYBUDDYYOUDROPPEDYOURWATCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I don't know why I love that character so much.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Check out the facts, it's the Hollywood Facts! (Take out your diiick)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I made sure to write a mini-essay about how terrible those Pepsi Next ads they tried awhile ago were.
Jeff Ullrich already explained how that nightmare situation came about.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

little munchkin posted:

I'm watching How I Met You Mother and they just totally ripped off the "Carl Sjuinor" joke. I'm real mad.

I audibly scoffed at the television.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

epitasis posted:

What'd they say?
Marshall is challenged to name their long-time bartender Carl's last name, and guesses, "Carl.........Sjunior?"

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

escape artist posted:

I think I might have actually had a significant part in him deleting that tweet. Could be wrong, but I'll tell you the story if you're interested.

We're not, and you didn't, and this has all been a colossal waste of 30 seconds.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cast No Engine posted:

Aren't most eps at least a week behind? Not sure why everyone thought they would turn F&P3 around in 3 days.

Uhh, listen much? They're recorded one year in advance.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

All the dogmen in the world and I gotta be stuck with this rear end in a top hat.

Fartscrew me twice, shame on me.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

That entire segment had me in hysterics. Horatio really is the best bad improv guy.

"I see this guy from the club and it's, like, 'Dude, it's a crazy fuckin' night, I'm drunk as poo poo,' and so I offer to blow him."
...so he unloads in my fuckin' head. He tosses in my head like a fuckin' lunatic.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Piquai Souban posted:

Toronto had PFT as Alan Thicke and Sean Cullen, from Corky and the Juice Pigs, which lead to a surprise story about the time he filled in for Stephen Page of BNL at a benefit.

(IT'S BEEN!)

Posted a couple of pictures here since we were in the front row. PFT was resplendent in his suit, like a comedian bird of paradise.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjKy7sqi

Oh man, what a great show it was (IF there's a Narnia...). Cullen and Thicke wouldn't have been top picks of mine ahead of time, but drat, both were fantastic.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Authorman posted:

Hey people who have been to the live shows, how long did they run?

Toronto ran from 8:45ish to almost 11.

Hey Piquai - were you around for that guy arguing with the security guard at the emergency exit, then pissing in a popcorn bucket in the corner? What the gently caress, I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite.

Anyone on the fence, absolutely go. It's inexplicable just how much better improv is live.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
"Let's see... we know he has a dog!"

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
This throws me every time. Improvisation->improv is a worthwhile abbreviation, but you're only saving two letters with that form, and it's already a word.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

I think it would be more accurate to say that Maron has at least a slight beef with everyone, and some will reciprocate it right back.

That new Maron commercial with Michael Ian Black is stupendous. (this one here)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Hollis Brown posted:

I looked into audible but in the world of netflix and spotify I don't understand the one book a month limit.
Well, it's not the same model. It's not 'unlimited library access only while account is active', it's 'a modest discount for agreeing to buy (permanently) in bulk' (at regular intervals, in this case). It's more akin to columbia house et al. ~30-50% off retail is nothing to sneeze at, but that's all it is; not some new paradigm like netflix.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Periodiko posted:

The moment when the dentist started talking was one of the funniest things I've ever heard on CBB.

I was running listening to this, and had to just pause it there until I got home to avoid blacking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Not to mention that this is totally free entertainment so even if it's not your favorite episode who can really get that mad.

Thank you for taking the time to point this out. It was well worth all of us reading again.