Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I relistened to the Redban / Bill Burr Stitcher argument yesterday. I almost forgot how loving dumb Brian was, and how much I hate him on the show. But I love this dumb rear end show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

Deadlysherpa posted:

Rogan has a really interesting podcast. Everyone seems to really like nine tenths of the show and really hate the last tenth.
This is a great way to put it. Most of it is really fantastic, and the last part is worst than anything out there.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Joey Diaz going into an angry trance is always the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xgysM3O8wc&feature=channel_video_title

widunder
May 2, 2002

AltronHGX posted:

Can you imagine!!
It's very possible.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Shampy posted:

This last episode is the first one I've ever listened to. I loving love it. What other episodes are as good as this that I should go back to? I'm already going to download the previous episode with him on it.
Anything with Joey Diaz is good, I really like Bill Burr so both of his are great, Duncan Trussel is great if you're into his sort of life philosophy, and more recently, I quite enjoyed the Anthony Bourdain show. Bas Rutten is a must if you're the very least interested in MMA and general craziness.

widunder
May 2, 2002

habanero walrus posted:

Bryan Callen's flat tax bullshit made me like him a lot less. I was with him up until then, and then noooope.
Yeah that was weird, and came out of nowhere: "the tax code is overly complicated. The solution is a flat tax". Huh?

widunder
May 2, 2002
I've been taking those pills for a few days without results now so hey, as he said, you can't argue with their money back policy.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Everytime Rogan chuckles when the Nick Diaz soundbite plays in the intro is loving adorable

widunder
May 2, 2002
That Italian dude was pretty cool.

widunder
May 2, 2002

CortezFantastic posted:

Anyone remember what death metal documentary they were talking about with the band members who killed each other? It was Swedish or Norwegian if I remember.
Not sure what the documentary is but the band was probably Mayhem (Varg Vikernes killed a dude called Euronymous).

widunder
May 2, 2002

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

all those subjects are better than what to put into a juicer or MMA news/talk.
Comedy and MMA is basically the only thing I listen for, other when they actually have a really interesting guest (like Bourdain or that Vice TV dude). Granted, I'm fascinated by both those subjects but goddammit Joe has some really loving dumb opinions on basically EVERYTHING ELSE.

It's a lot like Michael Moore films, it's all fine and dandy but as soon as he touches on a subject that you actually know something about you realize how wrong he is/how much he's skimming the surface. I literally cannot skip a podcast where they start talking about Julian Assange et al, they are just so goddamn ignorant.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm pretty sure that Eddie Bravo as a very legit Machado black belt would have something to teach Ronda, rubber guard or not!
I think (and this is coming from someone who thinks Bravo is one of Rogan's most annoying guests) that he was uncharacteristically civil when it came to grappling stuff, like when he spoke about the necessity to be able to handle wrestlers.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Bohemian Nights posted:

repeating "scholars say" isn't citing sources, and it is about as good an argument as "something hippies say". And the origin of Santa Claus isn't really very controversial, as far as I know. The modern north american santa is based on the Dutch Sinterklaas, which is probably why Redban said that santa claus came from Germany or something.

I don't mind Redban being contrarian in cases like this, especially when Rogan says dumb poo poo like "There is NO DOUBT" and "Scholars have PROVEN" and things that would imply that this is completely unshakable truths.

Ari also quotes some of this, and while wikipedia isn't the end-all be all of human knowledge, I'd trust it more than abovetopsecret's version of christmas; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria#Christmas_decorations_and_Santa_Claus

And here's one of these SCHOLARS telling you that the reindeer you know and love at christmas came from Norway, and were a part of an advertisement campaign in 1925 to sell reindeer meat.
http://translate.google.com/transla...91.html&act=url

Edit: To his credit, eventually Rogan admits that we can't know for sure, but that's after several minutes of there being absolutely no doubt of the mushroom/christmas connection, and basically calling Brian retarded for proposing an alternative.
Rogan's favorite buzzword is "extremely possible" which means gently caress-all.

widunder
May 2, 2002

habanero walrus posted:

Definitely not saying I believe this but I thought this video was interesting. I know it's not valid evidence for anything.

Also am I the only person who thought Redban actually managed to not be completely terrible in the latest episode? I kind of liked that Hamilton Morris just for shutting down Joe on all his crazy theories even if he was a little too quiet. Also who sounds like that at 24?
I had to turn it off because his way of speaking was terrible. SPEAK FROM THE STOMACH SON

widunder
May 2, 2002

Joey Donuts posted:

Has anyone here tried any of the Onnit stuff?
I did ten pills of Alpha Brain, just felt nauseated and got my money back.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Yeah, this episode with the hoarder guy was really good.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Cromulent posted:

I've been enjoying the different variety of guests lately. I guess what I like the most is the influx of non-stoner comics (Fitzsimmons, Gaffigan...even if I do enjoy Joe's circle of stoners), and non-new age pseudo-science guests such as Paxton. I wasn't sure how well Gaffigan would vibe with Joe, but it was pretty hilarious right from the start.
Yeah I love Gaffigan but had some trouble seeing him on the show. But it was great. I think it benefitted from not being another 3 hour behemoth, something I don't think is very good for the show anyway.

widunder
May 2, 2002
While Dom Irrera was really, really unnecessarily mean to Brian, I did enjoy it.

widunder
May 2, 2002
With the Freeway Ricky Ross, Eddie Ifft and now the Joey Diaz episode, they're on a really solid run. Joey freaking out about Redban talking about UFC weight classes was great.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't get the "comics leave because of you"-bit. Leave where? What?
Probably Tom Segura splitting from the Ice House Chronicles network.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Cromulent posted:

Ari, too.

I like Jay and I think he's funny but he's a petulant child when it comes to stuff like this. I remember watching it all unfold on twitter. Jay asked Redban if he could have a show on the deathsquad network, Redban ignored him, so Jay started passive-aggressively slamming Redban on twitter because he didn't get a response. Then the Bert/Tracy Morgan thing came up on the show and that's when Redban started poo poo-talking Jay.

Jay kinda explains his personality quirks on his podcast a bit (he was always the youngest kid on the team, smallest on the block, youngest doing standup etc) so it's always an uphill battle with his ego. He's at least not as psychotic as he used to be (listen to the Mohr Stories with his former roommate Neal Brennan to hear how much of a giant rear end in a top hat he was).

But yeah, Jay is funny, and a master impressionist, but it's too bad he's got such issues. It's gotta sting a bit when two of the most respected comedians in the world think you're a oval office (Stanhope said on JRE two separate times that he's a oval office, and Louis CK referred to him as a "cocky rear end in a top hat" on Opie and Anthony.)
My feeling on Mohr Stories is what I want to feel for JRE. Jay might be an unlikeable douche with weird issues but his show is always, always not only funny, but loving hilarious. I wish I could say the same about JRE, where great episodes are super uncommon these days. Mohr's shtick bears repeating, Rogan's doesn't.

E: What I mean is that Jay's show is definitely full of repetitive elements, but for reason, I could hear him doing impressions or quoting Reservoir Dogs and Goodfellas all day. The repetitive bits on JRE, his impersonation of Joey Diaz notwithstanding, are just annoying.

widunder fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 28, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Was it 2+ hours of MMA talk?
maybe 75% but from a really fascinating perspective mostly

widunder
May 2, 2002
I know the great thing to do is to bitch about JRE (I've done it a lot too) but I'd like to mention that I really like the filmed post-podcast videos they put on Vimeo. Very relaxed and natural. And I kinda like the wide lens look to them, and Redban doesn't talk much.

Joe's habit of not looking people in the eyes when he speaks to them kind of annoys me for whatever reason, thogh

http://vimeo.com/search?q=joe+rogan+blog

widunder
May 2, 2002
Bill Burr: funniest person alive? Discuss.

widunder
May 2, 2002

AltronHGX posted:

That Bill Burr episode was definitely the funniest podcast they've done in a while. Bill is always loving hilarious and I have to go dig up that Opie & Anthony clip they played after work.

Is Burr's podcast any good? I heard it's just him talking by himself for an hour straight and I dunno if I can handle that much Bill, or anyone really :/
Burr's podcast is solid if you like Burr. However, sadly, pre-mid 2011 episodes aren't available on iTunes anymore. His best podcasts are EASILY the ones where Nia sits in, so you give them a search.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...0.0.CI7ch5NI--s

However, the funniest thing I think he has ever done is the radio show he did 2007-2009 with joe DeRosa, Uninformed. It can be found on YouTube and elsewhere. It is really, really funny.

widunder
May 2, 2002

esperantinc posted:

Aren't the old ones just on a different "channel" or whatever? I thought I read that somewhere, could be wrong though.

Burr's podcast is pretty great, IMO. Agreed that the ones with Nia sitting in are the best.
They used to be, but if you search for it on iTunes only the current one shows up I believe.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I enjoyed the Mike Birbiglia episode a lot.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Josh Barnett was a great guest as usual as long as they stuck to MMA talk. When Rogan brought up the recent school shootings it felt like an onsetting earthquake.

widunder
May 2, 2002

-Atom- posted:

Ian Edwards was a pretty drat good guest as well. Really enjoyed that episode this morning.
Yeah Joe needs to get back to having comedians outside of his immediate circle rather than the regular mix of his close friends and nutjob conspiracy theorists. Rogan's podcast introduced me to the wonderful world of Bill Burr two years ago and I'd like more discoveries like that :unsmith:

widunder
May 2, 2002
"What do you get if you bet your house? Another house?"

widunder
May 2, 2002
a visionary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btf5RMYTG5M

widunder
May 2, 2002
E: can't be bothered

widunder
May 2, 2002
Joey Roses :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

Digital Jedi posted:

What other podcasts have been around as long or have nearly as many episodes?

Gotta imagine his has to be up there in terms of longevity and amount of content
I think JRE started in late 2009/early 2010 which isn't very old in podcast terms but if you consider the amount of hours of repeated stories and insane libertarian ramblings then absolutely