Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cams
Mar 28, 2003

Dancing Potato posted:

I used to find Maron's standoffish, dismissive approach to some of his guests' careers off-putting but it's way, way, way, way more interesting than baby James Lipton making TARDIS jokes. I actually LIKE Hardwick but his interview style is often indistinguishable from that of your typical press junket (especially if the guest isn't a comedian).
I actually like Chris Hardwick, but I do agree with a part of this. I started listening to the Nerdist because I love comedy and I love comedians talking about comedy. I've listened less and less when it became big and they started getting actors and musicians and famous people because, as you said here, Chris doesn't know much about those fields and tends to interview them like anyone else would, which is not entertaining to me. It's gone from the "inside baseball" thing I love about podcasts to just another "late night" interview style, which obviously is what Hardwick is going for, because that's his future.

To me, because of the nature of podcasts, I'd rather listen to a musician interviewing other musicians, comedians interviewing comedians, actors interviewing actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

For any Pete Holmes fans, his newest episode episode has the director of that "Kumare" documentary that he keeps bringing up, and it's pretty interesting. Lot's of discussion about life and perception and the ideas of happiness and existence. If you're like me and you like that sort of crap, great listen.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Oh man, Whitney Cummings and Pete Holmes are perfect for each other.

SO MUCH YELLING.

Love it.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The new layout for Nerdist podcasts is loving HORSESHIT.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

cams posted:

The new layout for Nerdist podcasts is loving HORSESHIT.
Just wanted to bump this thread by reiterating this fact. The only Nerdist show I listen to on the regular any more is You Made It Weird, so every Wednesday I am reminded of the fact that this is one of the worst layouts for a well funded website I have ever seen.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

VagueRant posted:

Is this the place to talk about the Pete Holmes podcast? Because I just got into it recently.

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for episodes? (I've heard the Bert Kreisher and Emily Gordon ones that come highly recommended)
I have heard way too much of Pete Holmes' podcast so I relish this opportunity. Hodgman and Gethard are both great episodes, here's some more.

Going through them it's hard to not list a TON of episodes, so the ones that stand out from memory...

Anthony Jeselnik (big comedy talks)
Harris Wittels (second one is the big heroin one :( )
Duncan Trussell (Duncan is a fascinating weirdo)
Matt Besser (comedy talks mostly, though Besser's religion stuff is fun)
Bo Burnham (both of his made me really like him as a human being, the second one more than the first though)
Chelsea Peretti (all of them, especially the one where they play clips from all the times where Pete has mentioned her on the show. Her and Pete have a great back and forth)
Sara Schaefer (there is crying in the episode I almost did as well, good ep)
John Mulaney (comedy talks)
Zach Creggor (my favorite kind of episode where Pete and the guest just get along and talk about all kinds of weird poo poo)
Jason Mantzoukas (ZOOKS)
Thomas Middleditch (one of the best of all time, it's from fall 2011 so Thomas was in a very different place than he is today. he and Pete talk a lot how they used to be really close friends then stuff happened, and a lot of talking about how you can be friends and be a professional comedian and the problems that comes with)

Those are the names that appear on the first year of the podcast, obviously some of their reappearances will come after that but I think this covers some big ones from the first year. I left off most of the first 10 but they are all absolutely worth listening to, a lot of people like Kumail, Moshe, and TJ Miller who are good friends with Pete. I tried to pick out ones that are fascinating regardless of whether or not you like the guest, but looking at that list most of them are big huge comedy people now so whatever.

Lemme know if you want more I have no other use for this information

edit: also, going to HIGHLY reccomend the Jessica St. Clair episode. It's probably longer than any episode before it, but Jess and Pete know each other from a while back and they have toooons of hilarious stories and realtalks.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Piquai Souban posted:

Also whichever live episode (Outside Lands? Outlands?) had the e-trade baby weirdness.

Excited for the live YMIW in Montreal two weeks from now! Added a bunch of your recommendations for a pre-festival re-listen.
I don't know which one it is, but I THINK it's the live episode with Eric Andre, cause they talk about that incident on Andre's episode.

PS Eric Andre's episode is amazing too. Good to truly understand the chaotic man that is Eric Andre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

my first instinct was to make it's own thread for this because i am so loving baffled by it, but aaron rodgers is on the new episode of you made it weird

• Locked thread