Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

"elwood" posted:

In other news: According to the latest polls, the pirate party would get 7 % nationwide right now with a dissmisal 2 % for the FDP.

I can't decide if that is terrible or hilarious. Oh well at least the pirates are getting the protest votes now and not the nazis or the Linke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

E: double post. drat you awful app. :argh:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

DeusEx posted:

Translated this means "I don't want that my kids have to socialize with filthy immigrant children and working class scum longer than necessary!".

I disagree. How would you combine them anyway. Hold them to current gymnasium standards? More people that used to be in the hauptschule/werkrealschule would drop out. Lower the standards to realschule? Wasting potential and dropping in scores compared to the rest of the world.

I doubt the solution will be to unite the different 'tiers'. I agree however that it should be easier to switch and that teachers should be better in their judgement.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

"hankor" posted:

Here what the Verfassungsschutz has been up to for the las couple of years.
http://www.verfassungsschutz.de/de/publikationen/verfassungsschutzbericht/

That's what they want you to believe, man :tinfoil:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

There is literally no way in hell the Länder will give up their sovereignty on education.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Amazing how quickly this thread turned from :argh: Nazis to GWS

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

I thought German noble titles were abolished after 1918...?

They are. However that doesn't change their names. Also most of them are still rich and even for those that aren't the 'von und zu' has the same standing as a Dr. . But in this case it's less of a nobility thing anyway and has more to do with the fact that he's a former federal minister and also quite rich

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Grendels Dad posted:

How high was voter participation? Somehow the phrase "the majority of Stuttgart citizens is in favor on the project" doesn't sit well with me because I suspect it's more likely "the majority of people who could be arsed to vote are in favor of the project".

Around half the population voted and of those around 60% said No (as in 'build the thing'), so around 20% of all people voted yes and they would have needed at least 33%. And I'm actually pretty sure that everyone that wanted to stop this actually went out to vote and it's just that the majority is against it or doesn't give a poo poo.

/E: you know what, this 'yes if you're against it' IS confusing

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Christian Wulff making a fool out of himself, Greece not wanting our precious money and S21 finally going through. How the hell is this thread dead?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

raf posted:

So - who's next? Do we have another mediocre middle-right county politician with a presentable wife?

Guttenberg :suicide:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

BabyFur Denny posted:

I have heard about that here, about seven years ago, when that article was written.

To be honest it fooled me too. I saw Jan 30th, read the article and thought what the flying gently caress.

This seems to be what came out of it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Aziraphale posted:

Heres another question: why does Telekom throttle my cell phone usage? I pay for unlimited access, but I always get a message telling me I've gone over my limit and now my nuts are cut off.

If you're talking about data, you don't have unlimited access. Well, you do but not really. You get 1GB or 5GB or what ever in UMTS/3G and if you go over the limit they throttle you to GPRS. Still better than the old days where they would charge ridiculous prizes once you went over your limit.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

az posted:

Let's not pretend as if the NPD would ever be going anywhere.

Still, with the Parteienfinanzierung every single vote gets them money once they're over 1,0% at an election at state level (Landtag) or 0,5% at the elections for the Bundestag / European parliament. And with what the investigation has shown basically every single vote is at least partially financing Dönermorde crimes against foreign minorities.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ententod posted:

Yeah, I think it'll just speed up the process of people noticing they can't keep their promises and don't really know what they are doing, anyway.

Die Linke has been fine like this for 5 years now. Unless the Pirates actually get to be in power somewhere I doubt that's going to happen.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Today on my way to uni I saw a new book being advertised:

Here is a TV discussion with the author of this book:
http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/video/1715224/Kann-Bayern-es-alleine-schaffen%253F?bc=sts;suc

Separatism in Bavaria is still alive? What the gently caress?

I guess this is coming up again because Bavaria is currently being pretty :qq: about being one of 4 (?) states that have to pay for the rest in the Länderfinanzausgleich. They will never actually secede, they're just very self-important.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Smirr posted:

What the gently caress, I got a letter from Rainer Brüderle today. It's partly "Germany owns", partly "the FDP is responsible for that". There's also a postcard asking you to become a "DialogPartner" of the FDP-Bundestagsfraktion. what the hell

Does that rear end in a top hat have too much money? It's not even election season.

Thanks to the Bundesländer it's always election season somewhere. And even if not, there's a Bundestags election next september. The FDP has it's back against the wall, current polls show them below the 5% threshold.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Soap Bat Derby posted:

A lot of the world (Especially the U.S.) really does view Germany like this bit from Family Guy,

It's kinda cruel to post a link to a website that restricts content to the US in a thread where most people wont be able to see it :v:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

az posted:

Trust me when I tell you that Germans don't feel "superior" to americans just because we're Germans and they're Americans, it's about specific things they do we disagree with and the direction the country has been heading.
The main points being
  • Guns (we still manage to have shootings though not so many)
  • Obesity (we're getting fatter too though not so much)
  • Education (our education also sucks though not so much)
  • Bombing brown people (for oil)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Am I the only one who "Homo-Ehe" has a very weird ring to?
When did we stop saying "Gleichgeschlechtliche Ehe"?

We never did in the first place. I'd say Germany isn't as PC as most anglophone countries in the first place. It doesn't help that many topic names are coined by the (yellow) press, case in point: Dönermorde. Homo-Ehe on the other hand isn't marriage for homos but for homosexuals, it's just abbreviated because people are lazy.

Ententod posted:

Lots of old people here are still upholding their traditional Christian values. I suspect if Germans cared as much about their politicians' private opinions as Americans do, the CDU would be referencing their Christian beliefs a lot more often (whether true or not). They are already using the religious argument against stem cell research and medically assisted suicide. Not to forget immigration.
Our Judeo-Christian tradition :qq:

Yeah I don't think we'll see marriage equality with a C*U government within the next 20-30 years. I can see SPD and green party doing it though.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 4, 2012

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hasardeur posted:

And the funny thing is that modern nuclear power plants are completely safe and this is all just the result of the angst that was steered up by the media.

The problem here is that we don't have any (actually) modern nuclear plants in this country, the newest started construction in 1982. Thats 30 years. Hell, some are from the mid-70s. And if the corporations would have their way even the oldest ones would be still running because they're paid off and are making money the longer they run.
The whole nuclear thing is pretty hosed up in the first place, a for-profit should not be running something as highly dangerous as a nuclear plant. Iran can't have a nuke plant but Vattenfall can? A lot of what happened in Japan can ultimately be traced back to cost-reduction / profit-maximization. Then there's the fact that the corporations keep most of what they make from nuclear energy yet pay poo poo-all for waste storage. In the good-old days they even used to just dump those barrels into the Atlantic ocean.

In the end it doesn't really matter though, if something happens in France we're hosed as well. And there's no chance in hell they will get rid of nuclear power unless a plant blows up right next to Paris.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sereri posted:

The whole nuclear thing is pretty hosed up in the first place, a for-profit should not be running something as highly dangerous as a nuclear plant. Iran can't have a nuke plant but Vattenfall can? A lot of what happened in Japan can ultimately be traced back to cost-reduction / profit-maximization. Then there's the fact that the corporations keep most of what they make from nuclear energy yet pay poo poo-all for waste storage. In the good-old days they even used to just dump those barrels into the Atlantic ocean.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/akw-philippsburg-mitarbeiter-erheben-schwere-vorwuerfe-gegen-enbw-a-872817.html

Spiegel Online posted:

Berlin - Der Brief ist sechs Seiten lang und eng bedruckt. Er stammt vom 7. Dezember 2012 und ist unterzeichnet von einem "besorgten Mitarbeiter". Der Betreff: die "aktuelle Situation im Kernkraftwerk Philippsburg".

Die ist, folgt man dem Schreiben, seit geraumer Zeit chaotisch. Das Motto "Sicherheit vor Wirtschaftlichkeit" werde in der baden-württembergischen Atomanlage derzeit mit Füßen getreten. Dies vor allem, seit der ältere Block 1 im Mai 2011 endgültig stillgelegt wurde. Seither, so die Vorwürfe, gehe es "nur noch um Fragen, wie können die Kosten des abgeschalteten Blockes gesenkt werden. Welche Systeme können auch ohne Stilllegungsgenehmigung außer Betrieb genommen werden, auf welche Prüfungen kann verzichtet werden, wie kann dies dem Sachverständigen bestmöglich 'verkauft' werden."
  • Konkret soll im November eine wichtige Beckenkühlpumpe, welche die hochradioaktiven Brennelemente kühlt, "durch Fehlverhalten kaputt gefahren" worden sein - ohne dass das Ereignis gemeldet worden wäre.
  • Das gleiche gelte für einen Zwischenfall Anfang September, damals sei Wasserstoffperoxid bei der Anlieferung ausgetreten.
  • Darüber hinaus seien großflächig defekte Gebäudefugen im Notspeisegebäude entdeckt worden, durch die "im Brandfall ein Feuer ungehindert in weitere Räume vordringen" könnte. Auch darauf sei nicht sachgemäß reagiert worden.
[...]

It's from an anonymous source but I don't doubt it's true. I live ~30km away and I cannot wait for the day they're only able to mismanage non-nuclear plants.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Capitalising nouns is such a telltale giveaway for us German speaking folks :shepface:

No, you see, this is what he meant:

:downsrim:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Adulterous Hitler posted:

I could give you a list with the 3,5 million most annoying people in Berlin :iamafag:

You mean the Telefonbuch ?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So apparently, after losing our ability to build airports, we've also lost the ability to build train stations.

Someone tell Blohm & Voss to never go into public transportation lest their poo poo mysteriously implode.

quote:

Eigentlich sollten schon im Jahr 2020 Züge durch den unterirdischen Bahnhof fahren

Schon im Jahr 2020. Schon. :stare:

Why did it need to be underground again?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zwille posted:

There's a joke in there somewhere with hipsters and Swabians and underground.

Yeah, but you've probably never heard of it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Posting this here so maybe the NSU chat'll stay out of the language thread:

Spiegel Online posted:

[...]
Insgesamt hatten 927 Medien und Medienvertreter eine Akkreditierung für das Verfahren beantragt. 324 Lose wurden bei der Auslosung berücksichtigt. Abgewiesen wurden 30, weil sie die Voraussetzungen für eine Akkreditierung nicht erfüllt hatten.
[...]
Bei der Nennung einiger, vor allem kleinerer Medien oder der Frauenzeitschrift "Brigitte" brach im Saal unter den Journalisten Gelächter aus.
[...]

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Kopijeger posted:

Using uncessary foreign words is hardly unique to Germans, but it does seem to occur more often than elsewhere. I remember reading an article about Somalian islamists on Zeit.de that used the word "warlord" (which according to etymological dictionaries entered English as a calque of "Kriegsherr") and referred to the "African Union" instead of "Afrikanische Union".

While the African Union thing is stupid, I'll give you that, warlord is not wrong in any way.

"Wikipedia posted:

Warlord mit Kriegsherr zu übersetzen, ist zwar linguistisch korrekt; jedoch inhaltlich unvollständig. Der „Warlord“ ist mehr als ein Condottiere. Korrekter wäre die Übersetzung mit Kriegsfürst. Sie ist aber irreführend, weil Warlords keinem Adelsgeschlecht entstammen und nicht ausschließlich vom Kriegshandwerk leben, sondern auch in legalen und illegalen Wirtschaftszweigen aktiv sind [2]. Ein Warlord beherrscht als alleiniger Machtinhaber ein mehr oder weniger regional abgegrenztes Gebiet, das sich innerhalb eines Staatsgebietes befindet. Dies ist nur möglich, wenn der Zentralstaat einem Warlord Autonomie zugesteht oder nicht in der Lage ist, sein Gewaltmonopol gegenüber dem Warlord durchzusetzen. Darum findet man Warlords oft in Bürgerkriegsregionen. Die gegenwärtige Existenz der Warlords ist ohne die Entstaatlichung der neuen Kriege nicht denkbar.

As for the shitstorm, you don't have to germanize every word, especially if the direct translation is stupid. If you're not please with the original, foreign word you might want to rephrase it, Öffentlicher Aufschrei for example. But shitstorm is shorter, sounds cooler because it's English and really, at this point most of the media doesn't have any journalistic integrity left anyway.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

And here is the Wahl-O-Mat for the election (in German):
http://www.wahl-o-mat.de/bundestagswahl2013/

Welp.

CDU / Greens, then AFD and Pirates. Turns out I'm a terrible human being and shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ArchangeI posted:

Never thought I'd read someone wirte "At least we have the FDP". I agree on Leutheuser-Schnarrenberger, though.

As for the whole nuclear question, as someone pointed out, the problem is a bit more complicated. Our nuclear plants are loving old. The newest was put online in the early 80ies. Given that most companies expect a lifetime for NPPs of 30 years and plan the write off accordingly, they are all printing money by now. There is no doubt that a modern nuclear power plant is fairly safe, but German plants aren't modern by any stretch of imagination. And no one, anywhere, is even quietly suggesting that we should start building new plants. That would be a polarizing issue the size this country hasn't seen in a while.

I'm guessing you're referring to this post.

Sereri posted:

The problem here is that we don't have any (actually) modern nuclear plants in this country, the newest started construction in 1982. Thats 30 years. Hell, some are from the mid-70s. And if the corporations would have their way even the oldest ones would be still running because they're paid off and are making money the longer they run.

In the end it doesn't really matter though, if something happens in France we're hosed as well. And there's no chance in hell they will get rid of nuclear power unless a plant blows up right next to Paris.

And yes, nuclear plants create much less CO2. But guess what they produce, nuclear waste. And guess who's paying for it's disposal.
And do you know what happens when the AKW has reached the end of it's lifetime?
Regarding shutting down nuclear plants "But they produce less CO2" is really a non-issue.

By the way, the Green party's plan is 100% renewable energy, gas/coal/oil is transitional at best for them.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Someone please explain to me what is going on in this one. Did genderless people vote?

Also I'd love to see some people in #deutschgoons this sunday.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

elwood posted:

german police statistics 2012

persons killed: 8
persons injured: 20
persons shot at overall: 36

So they shot at 8 people and didn't hit them at all?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

If you have poo poo all to do you can join us in #deutschgoons and whine about the SPD-AFD-Pirate coalition or whatever thing happens today.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Torrannor posted:

We never had a minority government on the federal level. And minority government on the state level is very rare, although it does happen.

And to extend on that, the last single party rule what one term of Adenauer and over 50 years ago.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ArchangeI posted:

Constantly? Really? Do you work at an accountant's office or something? Its a box you don't check when you do your taxes once a year.

I bet they have the audacity to use the federal post as well :argh:

Really it's a stupid thing to be annoyed about. It hasn't much to do with seperation of church and state and is more of a service provided by the state. And the church has to pay for it, ~3% are kept.
Don't wanna pay those taxes? Renounce your religious affiliation. There, no more tax.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

weavernaut posted:

Do I still have to pay that tax if I'm Jewish. This is a serious question.

Most likely

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Well is there an argument for it other than "why the hell not?" ?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nobnob posted:

Additionally things every german internet geek knows is the GEMA who forces google/youtube to block thousands of videos containing music that MAY be under GEMA's license, just to avoid incoming law suits.

It's not as easy as that. GEMA considers videos containing music on youtube a public performance and wants money for it (in the name of the artists, of course). Apparently GEMA charges more than Google is willing to pay. Because of that Google blocks views from German ips so they don't have to pay fees for views.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ArchangeI posted:

In unrelated news, when will the government finally address the menace that is winter? Two prominent Germans lie in the hospital after they were deliberately and cowardly attacked by winter when they were traveling on their skis. Where is the police? Where is the Army? When will someone finally do something?

Both attacks happened in the alps, I think we need to invade establish a peace mission in the alps for the safety of all our citizens on vacation there. I'm sure they'll see us as liberators and greet us with Edelweiß.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bronin posted:

It's 10 degrees Celsius here near the Alps. Don't worry though, winter will come soon. With poo poo loads of snow and temperatures below -20. God I hate winter...

Honest to god, the worst part of winter for me is when it's 5-10° cloudy and wet. I'd welcome actual winter with open arm. That said I use the ÖPNV and could work from home if need be, so the "unerwartete und unvorhersehbare Wintereinbruch" on the streets wouldn't matter that much to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Torrannor posted:

No posts about a prominent German football player coming out?

They are here