Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

"Ist in Berlin der Sozialismus ausgebrochen?" Tagesspiegel

:thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Fleischhhauer is a bad poster

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

caps on caps on caps posted:

I would not trust Berlin politics with that at all.
After all, Berlin has sold more communal property this year than the years before.

Just build some fukken skyscrapers already. It's not like Berlin can get more ugly than it is.

Also living with a view is cool and good

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh boy :toot:

Grand coalition: 45%, numbers don't work.

CDU/CSU/SPD/Greens: 51%, might work in numbers, but conservative voters and politicians will never voluntarily sit at the same table with feminists and minority advocates. :bahgawd:

SPD/Greens/The Left: 44%, numbers don't work. However this coalition would require 1) these parties to not squabble internally, 2) them accepting The Left, 3) The Left to accept compromise in return for their support, and 4) the voter to accept a coalition with The Left. :allears:

CDU/CSU/AfD/Liberals: 52%, numbers work. Of course the centrists and liberals publicly condemn the far right. However the centrists and the far rights have an 80% ideological overlap and the liberals don't care as long as (large) businesses keep getting preferential treatment. It's not like there's historical precedent of liberal and centrists enabling a far right governments or anything, what could go wrong? :stare:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Randler posted:

Vielleicht müssen wir das Problem überteuerter Hollandreisen für die Speckmadenmittelschicht an der Wurzel fassen. Fluten wir Holland und die bleiben alle auf den heimatlichen Balkonen. :thunk:

gently caress off, go bomb Dresden for all I care but leave my swamp alone

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

oliwan posted:

Yeah it's bad op. I used to work at a school for rich people, and everytime the temperature dropped below 15 degrees the students would show up in those 1200 euro Canada down jackets designed to work outside in the Arctic in -50.

Oliwan what's your avatar about

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Randler posted:

Das CSU-Gesocks ist mal wieder dabei ihre Kernidentität herauszuarbeiten und fordert die EU auf, den Faschos auf der Affeninsel nachzugeben und Irland ans Messer zu liefern.

I am waiting for the day when people unironically tweet the Gotta Strafe England stamp at Brexit

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The best thing about the image is that the fist actually hits Scotland

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

BabyFur Denny posted:

looks like London to me

Oh I thought we were looking at Scotland, with a distorted coast of Ireland in the West.bnow that you say it it might be England actually

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

KozmoNaut posted:

Get ready for the future, create Astro-Hungary.

What kind of gay space communism is this?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Perestroika posted:

Zeit+ status: Still :chloe:

"Wir hatten ja nichts"

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

thread bad

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

goethe42 posted:

Oho, a puppet-player among us.
But you have lost this screaming match/discussion anyway by virtue of olawin, i.e. the law that if oliwan agrees with you, the other side wins automatically, as he is demonstrably wrong about everything. (Which is why I suspect he's actually British and is just using his pretend Dutch(Swiss?) heritage as cover to stay in Berlin after Brexit as her Mayesties disinformation agent.)

oliwan is actually right on a bunch of stuff

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sulla Faex posted:

What's the difference between an ex-pat and an immigrant

Skin color

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sulla Faex posted:

you're not the first to get trump's wife and daughter mixed up

That might have been intentional

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

JFC what is it with these people wearing hats indoors

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, current event: My boss ran into Ivanka Trump while drinking

The gently caress is she even doing in Munich?

also, cursed

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Do elaborate on those feelings

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

FFS just pull yourself up by your own boot straps like I did after I inherited my dad's landlord empire

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sulla Faex posted:

wait was that randler effort post complaining about making 9k and losing half of it to taxes that he can't take back to america serious or not?

because i also cant tell if this latest one is also just him taking the piss out of crabs in a bucket leftists who would rather let the nukes go off than forsake a single opportunity to holier than thou their way to climax

in conclusion, Deutschfaden is a land of contrasts

I think he was quoting a disappointed American expat, who worked in Germany but was isolated and didn't feel any connection. As a result didn't feel like his monies were going anywhere useful and so he pissed off back to California, where robots are shooing away homeless people but you don't have to share techbro money

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Germany Discussion: I have never even seen a house

Accurate for the country with like the lowest home ownership rates on the planet

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Einbauschrank posted:

Vertrauensarbeitszeit ist awesome. Stechen ist was für Gartenzwergbesitzer mit 9-17h Jobs. :colbert:

I too like jobs where it is expected that everyone stays 5h longer every week and overtime is never paid out or compensated for

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm happy that you guys are making good experiences with self-imposed working hours. I still see the caveat that it absolutely depends on a healthy business climate, though. It can happen very easily that these practices spiral into exploitation.

For instance some people here have talked about how lovely academia can be. One very immediate cause of lovely conditions in academia is a lack of a separation between work-life and private-life. People identify strongly with their work, they have ~passion~ and ~dreams~ and show a lot of ~dedication~. As a result, even unpaid or poorly trained staff in their 20s works work themselves into sickness. If you Google a bit you'll find studies showing that PhD students in several countries (I know of surveys from California? and Amsterdam) where almost half of the PhD students/candidates report sub-clinical or clinical anxiety and depression. That is, in my view, a direct result of individuals being measured against impossible standards and basically told to exploit themselves in order to do as well as possible. What kind job that is not games development or some such deems it acceptable that people sleep at the lab regularly in order to run their experiments, or work 60 hour weeks because they don't want to be the one who's perceived as slacking off?

The other thing is that social pressures can have much more direct and strong effects than the vague influence of some HR department that no one likes anyway. Over the last few years I've read many newspaper stories about companies giving their employees 'unlimited' vacation time. What happens? People in these companies actually spent more time at the office, and I bet you it's because they didn't want to be the odd one sticking out.

My opinion is that specific arrangements between employer and employee firstly serve to shield the employee. Any Vertrauen can grow on top of that

I've currently switched to another employer out of academia. We're on Vertrauensbasis here, too, as is the case almost everywhere else. But I specifically went to this employer because they made a 'no-nonsense' impression on me, in the sense that both my team and our boss have a culture where me-time and office-time are clearly separated. No one except a guy who I think is a dumb idiot brag about how many evenings they spend number touching at the office. I don't mind doing occassional overtime but I insist on that being the exception rather than the rule.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 24, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Both at my new and my old job I had the habit to write my working hours at the beginning of the job. That helps me to get a feel for the flow. I'm logging the time I arrive and depart from my desk (or when I'm working at home, when I sit down and get up basically). Right now, on a 36h week I easily make 2-4 hours overtime every week. So basically every other week I would have to take a day off. That's not how it's supposed to be, so I have to talk with my department about streamlining work.

When I was working on my PhD, there were phases initially when I was regularly making 10+ hours overtime, and sometimes 20+ during critical phases of an experiment. On the flip side, near the end there were days when I couldn't even be arsed to show up on Monday at all.

(I am not sharing this for any particular reason)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Randler posted:

One upside of working in tax advisory is that we are required to track the time we work on projects, because the hours worked are the basis of what we charge the clients. The downside in practise is that we only have one system to track both our billable hours and the 8 hours a day we are supposed to be at work, which is a challenge for all those minor things that need to be done during the day but do not constitute billable hours. Same thing for billable stuff that does not quite reach the minimum incriment of time we track, because unlike other areas of the business (e.g. audit, consulting), the people in tax usually work for multiple clients in the same day.

It also does nothing against the social expectations of the "Facetime", those damnable business majors get indoctrinated with in university.

I unironically round my time log in 6 minute increments (10% of an hour)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Smirr posted:

That suit is gonna give me nightmares. The Scheitel too. I really you hadn't posted this, or rather that this picture didn't exist

Suit is fine

Scheitel is how my dad would have looked had he been 65 in 1950

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, Hefeweizen is fairly ok, particularly as Weisse mit Schuss.

cebrail, az: Nice of you to talk about beers that aren't belgian. You might want to actually try some beers originating in Belgium though. They make a lot of beers that aren't fancy yuppie beers, have a long history, very high quality, and a much wider range of variety, allowing them to appeal to a lot more palates than the german Stammtisch-Geschmack. Also, seriously, look up Gulden Draak 9000.

Gulden Draak owns, it's liquid sunset

Finally I meet someone who knows it

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Randler posted:

No, I'm speaking full Juli Zeh's Corpus Delicti levels of dedication to personal health.

Then get off social media :colbert:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Für die deutsche Sprache gibt es leider keine praktischen und eleganten Möglichkeiten, gender neutral zu schreiben.

Ich persönlich finde die 3. Person Plural den geeignetsten Kompromiss aus Lesbarkeit, Sprechbarkeit, und Bedeutung. Man kann damit praktisch wie mit dem englischen 'they' umgehen: im Allgemeinen redet man den von den Studierenden, und im Speziellen von einer bestimmten Studentin.

So eine Sprachtradition wäre inklusiv und gleichzeitig noch so handlich dass sie sich über die Jahrzehnte einbürgern kann.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

System Metternich posted:

I think I told this somewhere here already, but I distinctly remember my entire family going "der Laptop" since basically forever, but then I moved to Vienna, and during a visit home (maybe 2012ish? Not sure) suddenly my parents and my younger brother were all "das Laptop", and I never found out what effected this change.

You switched over to join us, here in the worst timeline

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Grendels Dad posted:

Please don't, Einzelkinder grow up to be shitheads. Adversity builds character, and there is no adversity greater than between two brothers who want to play with the same Feuerwehrauto.

My psych textbooks actually said that on average, kids who grew up with siblings are more aggressive and less willing to cooperate compared to kids who grew up as singlets

Anyhow that moralizing about having or not having children can go gently caress right off. Basically like forever I've wanted to have kids and I in all likelihood never won't because they'd be struggled with a plethora of heritable conditions and grow up in a household where at any time either my partner or I would be incapacitated by mental problems. It loving sucks

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

She's also probably the type who blamed the Chinese students for being killed during the tiananmen protests, after all they knew they were breaking the rules

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Opferwurst posted:

Lol, I already miss Merkel. Please kill me now

Been telling people that they'll miss her once she's gone. The years under her were disheartening for progressive politics proponents, but boy have you ever looked at who might come after her?

Optimist take: AKK is going to push the majority of the electorate towards a more leftist candidate, probably from the Greens (haha who am I kidding).

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

e X posted:

Die Diktatur des Bildungsbürgertum

Randler posted:

Thinking the Greens sway left in the year 2019. :allears:

Well, who else is there? Are you telling me the SPD will produce a Corbyn next week and stop being a pushover? Or that people will suddenly establish a trusting relationship with LINKE?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

No one cares unless someone raises a stink

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Randler posted:

"Steine, wollt ihr Heeresflieger werden?" "Nein, dazu sind wir zu flugtechnisch überqualifiziert!"

Like I know how these reports can be mindboggling but I can't help bring glad that the state of the military reveals no intention of going to eat any time soon

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Everything online except Wikipedia was a mistake

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is SA hosted in the EU? I thought it'd only affect EU companies.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

System Metternich posted:

Can’t wait for the grim future where I’ll have to approach shady dealers at the train station to get my weekly meme fix. On good days it might be a simpson shitpost, on bad days it’ll be nothing but polandball and rare pepes *shudder*

It'll be gamers rise up, non stop, and Boomer Facebook posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So I was wondering forever but why off all places do all the Nazis congregate on Heise